Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Does anyone have any experience with the Bose Sound Dock or the Klipsch iFI system? Both look to be good options, but I am curious about "useability" and sound etc. I am planning on listening o both before buying, but wanted to enlist the thoughts/opinions of the forum.

Thanks...

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
if you want to hear your music for what it is, do NOT buy Bose. if you just want some good sounding, carefree speakers, bose is a sure bet. you should really decide at the store -- it just depends how much bass, treble etc you like in your music. I have heard good things about the Klipsch iFi system though, I'd go for that one out of the two you mentioned.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
I think you'll find that once you listen to them, you'll end up with the Klipsch system. There are (quite) a number of people around who feel that Bose is a *little* bit over-rated.

But that said, if you have a chance to hear them side by side, and like one over the other, go with your ears . . . if it sounds good to you, I wouldn't get too caught up in what anyone else is saying.

iDrinkKoolAid

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
mojohanna said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Bose Sound Dock or the Klipsch iFI system? Both look to be good options, but I am curious about "useability" and sound etc. I am planning on listening o both before buying, but wanted to enlist the thoughts/opinions of the forum.

Thanks...

Having worked in the audio industry and knowing someone who works at Bose, they are the Micro$oft of speakers. Expensive and overrated.

That said, their newest Wave Radio sounds good, although it better, for $499. The SoundDock, which I have also listened to, did not have the clearest highs although the midrange and bass were quite good.

Without even listening to the Klipsch iFi, I'm willing to wager that it's much better in sound quality in terms of dynamic range (playing loud without strain), and bass (dedicated 8-inch subwoofer). $399 is a nice price for such a system. The margins are really thin on computer-type speakers. Good for the consumer, not so great for the manufacturer unless they can sell in great volume.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Thanks all,
I know there is no way to get a good feel with out actually listening and comparing the two. I just wanted to see if there were any strong opinions out there. I have heard the Bose and it sounds great. However, it was compared to the doughnut shaped JBL system.
Does anyone have the iFI system? One of the things I am looking to be able to do is move the system around the house as needed.

Thanks for that link, I will check that out tonight.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
dvdh said:
There are (quite) a number of people around who feel that Bose is a *little* bit over-rated.

lol that's an understatement :). Here on MR it's as if Bose had personally insulted everyone individually Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged style.

But like everyone I'd suggest you listen to them side by side - don't take other people's prejudices into account - ultimately you will be the one listening to them at home - but remember you'll also be looking at them :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.