PDA

View Full Version : How to hook up Apple TV to amp & speakers

Funky Beetroot
Jul 2, 2012, 04:55 AM
I want to set up a system where:

1. I stream music from i-tunes on computer to my stereo
2. I stream i-tunes movies from itunes on computer to my TV
3. the tv audio output is through the stereo, not through the TV's speakers
4. (possibly - I also attach dvd player to the whole set up and it also plays audio through the stereo - this is less important)

I was thinking that I could do this with the following:

(a) an apple TV

(b) a T-amp, probably an Audioengine N22

(c) passive speakers, either Audioengine P4 or Bose 161 book shelf:

(d) my existing TV.

Here are my questions:

1. will this work?

2. do I need a DAC? (If yes - can I just buy a T-amp with a DAC)?

3. Can I hook it up so that the apple TV can play music via the stereo without turning on the TV, but also play movies through the TV and have movie sound go through the stereo?

4. should I just buy a cheapish AV receiver + speakers + apple TV? If so - any suggestions on the AV receiver front?

ThemacNub
Jul 2, 2012, 07:05 AM
Yes, if you want to use a T amp than you will require a DAC. However why are you interested in a T amp? There are plenty of other options that wont require you to use an optical input DAC.

If you purchase an AV receiver you will be able to hook up all of your equipment (apple tv, dvd player etc) to it via hdmi, this allows you to utilise the input dac of the receiver. The video signal is sent from the receiver to your tv.

A big benefit of this is that it allows you to play music through your speakers without the tv being on.

-

The audioengine is about $200 locally in Australia, is that around where your budget is?

Funky Beetroot
Jul 2, 2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks ThemacNub

The main reason I was interested in a T-amp is that it seemed like a cheaper option than buying an AV receiver - $200 vs minimum of $400, and an AV receiver at that price is really low end I think, so I can imagine ending up paying more.

Plus I read some good reviews about using a T amp on the web. Plus I don't know what AV receiver to buy - and when I start investigating, I seem to get led to more expensive options.

But if I do need a DAC as well then the price saving might not be there.

blueroom
Jul 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
The only audio outs on the ATV2/3 are HDMI and TOSLINK (optical). You'll need a DAC more likely than not.

The audio output also supports AC3 and can be DD5.1 when watching movies.