Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirkster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Hi guys, new to the forum.

Just a question regarding an app for if you lose your iphone or it gets robbed. I know find my iphone is available but I was wondering is there any other alternative which would operate in a way i'm looking for.

I had a Nokia e51 before and if you set a text code on the phone, whenever a certain text message is received the phone would lock up. Say if I set the code to "lockme". Well when I left the phone somewhere I would text my number with "lockme" and this would lock it up.

I suppose what I'm looking for is this service, but when the phone gets this message it activates an app the same as find my iphone i.e. locking it, stopping it from being turned off, permanent black screen so appears off, location services on, relays position etc. etc.

I think this is a better alternative as if you realise its gone very recently then you can text your phone from somebody elses to make it unusable before getting to a computer to active findmyiphone as this could take time. It would also cater for having push notifications off and location services off and even data if that was your preference until the code is received.

Is there any apps for this or similar already developed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.