PDA

View Full Version : Apple Testing Redesigned Genius Bar to Increase Capacity

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2012, 08:41 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/02/apple-testing-redesigned-genius-bar-to-increase-capacity/)

ifoAppleStore posts a photo (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/db/2012/07/01/apple-tweaks-genius-bar-to-increase-capacity/) of Apple's concept for a redesigned Genius Bar for at least some of its retail stores, a move intended to increase capacity at the busy support location. Significantly, the change turns the entire Genius Bar by 90 degrees to provide stools for customers on both sides of the table.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/genius_bar_redesign.jpg

The change also breaks down the barrier between customers and support staff, with Geniuses and customers apparently mingling on the same side of the table. As Apple has tweaked its support procedures so that Geniuses are assisting up to three customers at a time, the company can also more efficiently address customer needs with the new layout. In the example described by ifoAppleStore, the move allows the total number of stools to be increased from 7 to 12, although some of the newly-gained space will still be needed by Geniuses for their work with customers.This new 90-degree Genius Bar turn solution would be particularly effective at narrow stores where there is limited room for seated customers. The improvement seems to come at the expense of the very popular kids area, with its round, black seats and iPads loaded with children's software. It's not clear if this design change will be rolled out to other stores or if it's simply being tested at this specific store.As the report notes, the move would sacrifice the kids' tables typically found near the rear of Apple's narrow store designs, certainly a disadvantage for some customers. Apple earlier this year replaced the iMacs (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/26/apple-stores-replace-kids-table-imacs-with-ipads/) at its kids' tables with new iPads, increasing the number of devices available for use and moving to a more natural touch-based exploration concept.

Article Link: Apple Testing Redesigned Genius Bar to Increase Capacity (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/02/apple-testing-redesigned-genius-bar-to-increase-capacity/)

jasonxneo
Jul 2, 2012, 08:45 AM
That's great. Improvements are always welcomed if they help the customer

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 2, 2012, 08:46 AM
They should have genius stations all through the store...

Doomtomb
Jul 2, 2012, 08:48 AM
Haha, forget about the kids... :D

Limboistik
Jul 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
Heh, maybe I'm reading too much into this but Apple's trademark simplicity seems to boil down to even the considerations of interior design. Simply rotating a table 90 degrees allows double the customer space. Genius.

MrManwelo
"I've got it! We'll turn the desk round by 90 degrees!"

RobQuads
As Apple has tweaked its support procedures so that Geniuses are assisting up to three customers at a time,

except where systems are being restored from backup etc I don't see this as a good thing. Help 1 person to conclusion and then move onto the next.
I would be rather annoying if someone came over to help and then went off to carry on with another appointment.

mailhojo
Jul 2, 2012, 08:50 AM
I knew this would happen sooner or later. Was just in the Brea Apple Store and the kid's table had been moved to the back near the back door. Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way. My wife said, "Aren't they interested in the next generation?" I guess, not at the expense of paying customers. If they think adding a few seats to the Genius Bar will make a big difference, they are just kidding themselves.

barkomatic
Jul 2, 2012, 08:55 AM
Genius help up to three customers at a time now? Yikes, talk about busy.

GeeEllBee
Jul 2, 2012, 09:00 AM
This is welcome. But two other observations:

1. If only they raised store clerk wages, genius or not.

2. If only they fixed the severe acoustical problems that often make shopping at Apple stores a health hazard, what with the mass hysteria.

:eek:

AustinIllini
Jul 2, 2012, 09:03 AM
Telling someone they need to perform a hard reset is better at a 90 degree shift.

TheHareBear
Jul 2, 2012, 09:04 AM
I knew this would happen sooner or later. Was just in the Brea Apple Store and the kid's table had been moved to the back near the back door. Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way. My wife said, "Aren't they interested in the next generation?" I guess, not at the expense of paying customers. If they think adding a few seats to the Genius Bar will make a big difference, they are just kidding themselves.

Definitely a bad idea to lose the kids' tables. I had 3 separate genius appointments recently where I had to have my 2 wee boys in tow (2 + 4), the iPads were all that kept me sane and stopped them running amock as my allotted times came and went and I was eventually seen.

(Turned out to be a faulty battery in an early 2011 17" MBP, fixed for free though outside the 12 months and they aren't covered by the 3 year Applecare.)

Andrew

BMNB1tch
Jul 2, 2012, 09:05 AM
I was looking for a case the other day

and it looked like a refugee zone in the genius area

hot sweaty sad people all clutching their busted devices

hey fellow customers

do not put peanut butter in your optical drive :D

daveishere
This kind of setup has already been put in place at the Birmingham Bulling (UK) store, my dad went into to swap his faulty iPhone the other week and it was setup like this.

Although, the desk hadn't actually been moved to the middle of the store so accessing the side of the bar previously reserved for geniuses & their laptops was a bit of a squeeze at times.

iVoid
Considering I had to make a Genius Bar appointment to do a simple exchange for a defective iphone ear bud set, they would be better off letting some of the lower level blue shirts do simple exchanges to free up time and space for the 'Geniuses'.

aristobrat
Jul 2, 2012, 09:10 AM

except where systems are being restored from backup etc I don't see this as a good thing. Help 1 person to conclusion and then move onto the next.
I would be rather annoying if someone came over to help and then went off to carry on with another appointment.
FWIW, Geniuses in some stores have been "multi-tasking" (helping more than one customer at a time) since 2010 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/14/apple-prepping-genius-bar-changes-focus-on-shorter-wait-times-multitasking-overnight-repairs/). That part isn't new.

kyjaotkb
Jul 2, 2012, 09:10 AM
Well, that doesn't look much like a bar anymore.
Apart from that, fine if more customers are getting help with shorter waiting lines.

charlituna
Jul 2, 2012, 09:15 AM

1. They don't do restores from backups. That is your job to do at home

2. They already do multiple appointments at once at most stores cause you only get 15 minutes and they are allowed to hang out and chat while your computer is installing ****, etc

----------

Considering I had to make a Genius Bar appointment to do a simple exchange for a defective iphone ear bud set, they would be better off letting some of the lower level blue shirts do simple exchanges to free up time and space for the 'Geniuses'.

If you want something for free under your warranty they have to access the warranty verification systems, certify that it is defective and not damaged and process the swap. If that is too much for you then you are free to just buy another pair.

And they have two lines at the bar. One for computers, displays, routers and the like.and one for iPhones, iPods, iPads and the like.

bedifferent
Jul 2, 2012, 09:17 AM
As an actual former "Genius" before the iPhone days, I worked on computers, you know, those devices that people use on desks :p

Any ways, we weren't nearly as busy then but most clients had PowerMac's or iMac's and the occasional PowerBook. We were trained and the clients were generally tech savvy. I know things have changed, and the "Geniuses" of today are a far cry from my days, but I could not imagine being told to juggle three customers at once. Instead of hiring more (which they can afford to do), they're reworking the bar to allow customers to "mingle" with the tech support? In most Apple stores, the back bar is crowded as is, adding more table space isn't going to solve that issue and frankly, given the [generally] spoiled temperament of some clients I wouldn't want to be "up close and personal". :)

charlituna
Jul 2, 2012, 09:17 AM
Definitely a bad idea to lose the kids' tables. I had 3 separate genius appointments recently where I had to have my 2 wee boys in tow (2 + 4),

not to be snide but it isn't Apples job to entertain your kids. If they are too young to handle the wait they should be left at home with Mom, Granny, a babysitter or such

saejin
Jul 2, 2012, 09:18 AM
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I've been into my local Apple Store in Colorado Springs and each time I've had to wait on average 10-15 minutes even to buy a trackpad. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I thought buying online and then picking up at the store would work faster. It didn't...I still had to wait in line until a tech was free to come over and process my purchase.

Next time I want an Apple accessory I'll just go to my local Best Buy. I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

charlituna
Jul 2, 2012, 09:19 AM
. Instead of hiring more (which they can afford to do),

and where will they put them. THAT is why they are doing this.

AppleNewton
Jul 2, 2012, 09:20 AM
Dealing with ~3 customers at a time? I worked at AASP and I've done that plus some on any given day in addition to handling multiple repairs in the tech room. Its strenuous and sometimes can be fun but other times its not (apple makes more profit in stores compared to a local business) so it was like play tech + salesman, we made a lot but not enough to really build a solid relationship with the customers IMO.

They should genius stations all through the store...

They've been toying with mobile genius for a while, actually in certain stores this has occurred.
Especially with their FRS position for mobile devices

kingtj
Jul 2, 2012, 09:21 AM
Honestly, all of this strikes me as Apple trying mightily to avoid the *real* solution to their problems; leasing out larger areas for their stores.

When the Apple stores first opened where I live, I was honestly shocked to see how small they were. I mean, our "primary" store is about the size I would think they would have kept their "secondary" store ... and the smaller of the two? Well, I believe they've already moved it once to a larger space, but it's still not big enough.

I mean, it's not like Apple has to be concerned about a lack of foot traffic or sufficient sales to justify their monthly rent. (This probably WAS a concern, back when Apple first got into retail and everyone said they were doomed to failure....)

If they've reached a point where they've got to change the Genius bar from a real bar metaphor (with the "bartender" on one side and customers on the other) AND eliminating a kids' area, just to accommodate everyone? It's time for a larger store!

Kurwenal
Jul 2, 2012, 09:23 AM
Honestly, all of this strikes me as Apple trying mightily to avoid the *real* solution to their problems; leasing out larger areas for their stores.

Absolutely. And staffed with more employees. I now avoid going to an Apple store -- packed with people and you have to fight to get some attention, even if you just want to pay for something. That "gatekeeper" at the door is a good concept but, last time I dared enter the hallowed realms, the gatekeeper told me, three times, "I'll get someone to help you" but no one ever showed up.

ChristIsLORD
Jul 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
not to be snide but it isn't Apples job to entertain your kids. If they are too young to handle the wait they should be left at home with Mom, Granny, a babysitter or such

I've seen so many people drop their kids off at the kids table at the apple store in malls while they look around, leaving them to yell and run around. I've witnessed once a kid running into a genius who almost dropped a customer's iPad on the ground as well. Thankfully he had lightning fast knee grip reflexes but I can only imagine what would have happened.

I can't imagine all the sticky fingers touching iOS devices are good for other children as well.

east85
Jul 2, 2012, 09:27 AM
Why fix something that isn't broken?

Apple has been doing great with their current design. SMH.

bedifferent
Jul 2, 2012, 09:28 AM
and where will they put them. THAT is why they are doing this.

I didn't read anything about hiring more staff, just reworking the floor for more room so that the current staff can juggle more clients. Basically, "let's not hire more, but make the already slammed bar with iPhone fashionista's and college kids with MacBook's seem larger - we'll even add more stools for them to sit and glare at the tech support for waiting 5 minutes." :p

Main issue: Approval process and Management workflow

I agree with someone else's suggestion, allow some floor staff to approve exchanges for smaller items such as ear buds. Just before I left, policy changes became more stringent, requiring numerous approvals from local and off site system approval for exchanges/repairs. This is the real issue as getting approval through the required channels is painstakingly slow. People see them behind the bar and assume they're picking their noses (and yeah some do ;) ), but most often they're waiting for [an already slammed] manager to approve anything that needs done. Streamlining that process without compromising on "shrinkage" or unnecessary repairs would facilitate overall flow, allowing managers to better "manage" the front and back of house while allowing faster and improved turn over.

Crowding the back area simply makes the store appear over loaded with pissed off customers. Not a good image. I've worked in retail enough in the past to know, the best way to solve an issue is to improve the overall process/workflow and better trained and paid employees (which was how Apple used to perform).

Jimrod
Jul 2, 2012, 09:29 AM
Hmm...

1. Should it be worrying that Apple products have become complicated/unreliable enough to require one store operative to work on three customers at once? Not really the kind of service you want from a premium purchase either.

2. While you're reworking things, how about the name "Genius", it rather cheapens the term and gives an implied smugness about the brand...

3. Hurry up with the iPhone 5, my upgrade was due six weeks back but no-way am I getting tied into an 18 month+ contract for upgrading from a "4" to "4S", thank you. :D

sessamoid
Jul 2, 2012, 09:35 AM
All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I thought buying online and then picking up at the store would work faster. It didn't...I still had to wait in line until a tech was free to come over and process my purchase.

Next time I want an Apple accessory I'll just go to my local Best Buy. I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

You no longer need to interact with anybody to make accessory purchases at the Apple store. Use your Apple Store app on your phone, scan and pay for the item through your iTunes account, take item and leave.

michelleeris
Jul 2, 2012, 09:38 AM
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I've been into my local Apple Store in Colorado Springs and each time I've had to wait on average 10-15 minutes even to buy a trackpad. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

If it's not an Apple branded item, you don't have to speak to anyone; just use the Apple Store app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to scan the bar code and OK the charge, and you're out of there.

----------

You no longer need to interact with anybody to make accessory purchases at the Apple store. Use your Apple Store app on your phone, scan and pay for the item through your iTunes account, take item and leave.

That doesn't work if the product is Apple branded, unfortunately.

dockingbay94
Jul 2, 2012, 09:38 AM
Hmm...

1. Should it be worrying that Apple products have become complicated/unreliable enough to require one store operative to work on three customers at once? Not really the kind of service you want from a premium purchase either.

2. While you're reworking things, how about the name "Genius", it rather cheapens the term and gives an implied smugness about the brand...

3. Hurry up with the iPhone 5, my upgrade was due six weeks back but no-way am I getting tied into an 18 month+ contract for upgrading from a "4" to "4S", thank you. :D

1. No. I'd say about 10% of appointments are do to the product actually having a failure. 90% are user error, accidental damage, general questions. Apple products are so easy to use and now so popular that they've attracted the village idiots who can do ZERO troubleshooting themselves in that 10%.

2. I agree.

3. Ha.

SeattleMoose
Jul 2, 2012, 09:45 AM
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

Bingo!!! Same reason I can no longer shop in an Apple Store. I know it is not "hip" to have a "take a number dispenser" and/or a dedicated checkout lane, but it would sure help things move more efficiently for those of us who just want to "grab something quick". Tired of wandering around trying to catch the eye of an employee. I am sure that if I were young, female, and pretty I would have no problem. Sadly, I am the opposite of all that...

eddjedi
Jul 2, 2012, 09:49 AM
Great, now they just need to stop calling them geniuses. I wouldn't mind if they actually were geniuses, I've yet to meet one yet though.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 2, 2012, 09:50 AM
In most locations the Apple Stores need to be in spaces at least double the sqft that they already have. The one I go to the most is in Buford, GA at the Mall of Georgia and it is always a zoo. The store itself is narrow and deep and you can barely move in there. I try not to go in there unless I have to and when I do I dread the trip. People are as friendly as they can be (especially considering the working conditions), but it is by no means a pleasurably shopping experience.

\-V-/
Jul 2, 2012, 09:51 AM
Great, now they just need to stop calling them geniuses. I wouldn't mind if they actually were geniuses, I've yet to meet one yet though.

They've generally been more like smart a**es than geniuses. :/

eddjedi
Jul 2, 2012, 09:59 AM
I appreciate they probably deal with a lot of morons every day, but they should have tiered levels, just like my hosting support company does. When you submit a ticket, you have to check an experience box ranging from "I know nothing about computers" to "No offence, but I probably know more than you do." It's a great system, and means my support ticket is handled by somebody on a similar level.

AppleGuesser
Jul 2, 2012, 10:02 AM
Why fix something that isn't broken?

Apple has been doing great with their current design. SMH.

Its just a test run in "specific" stores. Calm down, this isnt some ground breaking, earth shattering decision :rolleyes:

----------

I agree with you on that. I feel like I know an infinite amount more than they do and they are supposed to be the "geniuses"? Yeah, i think not. They act slighly arrogant and they shouldnt, they arent the next Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak...:D

Evilgamer
Jul 2, 2012, 10:03 AM
If it's not an Apple branded item, you don't have to speak to anyone; just use the Apple Store app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to scan the bar code and OK the charge, and you're out of there.

----------

Sure it does, in the US at least, the only product on a shelf I havent been able to walk out with without takling to a human were gift cards. I bought a Thunderbolt->ethernet adapter last week this way and an apple branded adapter cable before that.

AppleGuesser
Jul 2, 2012, 10:04 AM
In most locations the Apple Stores need to be in spaces at least double the sqft that they already have. The one I go to the most is in Buford, GA at the Mall of Georgia and it is always a zoo. The store itself is narrow and deep and you can barely move in there. I try not to go in there unless I have to and when I do I dread the trip. People are as friendly as they can be (especially considering the working conditions), but it is by no means a pleasurably shopping experience.

I 100% percent agree. In many cases I avoid the Buford mall and go to the Athens PeachMac or the Best Buy off of Atlanta Highway. Way more enjoyable experience than the mall which is terribly congested, hot, a fire hazard, etc. :D

samcraig
Jul 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
This was a decision Steve made before he passed away.

"That table. You've positioned it wrong."

AustinIllini
Jul 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
I 100% percent agree. In many cases I avoid the Buford mall and go to the Athens PeachMac or the Best Buy off of Atlanta Highway. Way more enjoyable experience than the mall which is terribly congested, hot, a fire hazard, etc. :D

Apple has higher priorities, like opening a fourteenth store in New York.

samcraig
Jul 2, 2012, 10:17 AM

But keeping the stores this size they can boast HUGE $/square feet. When they expand their stores - that number goes down. Then again - bigger store = more sales - so I can only imagine there's a "bean counter" doing the math for Apple to maximize profits.

akf2000
Jul 2, 2012, 10:21 AM

this cracked me up! Would love it if they called it the Smartarse Bar.

\-V-/
Jul 2, 2012, 10:24 AM
his cracked me up! Would love it if they called it the Smartarse Bar.

If they did, more people would at least know what they're getting themselves into. :p

enragedcamel
Jul 2, 2012, 10:24 AM

That's why it says "up to three customers."

JAT
Jul 2, 2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry, but that's just stupid. Apple's bread and butter is families*, with kids. Don't be daft.

Not to mention the obvious marketing. Every time we went to the Store, I'd hear about whatever game they had that I didn't for weeks. "Please buy xxx, dad!"

* Well, except for the phone.

yg17
Jul 2, 2012, 10:28 AM

----------

I bought a Magic Mouse with the app. I was in and out of the zoo store within a minute.

Although last time I ventured to the Apple Store, I was looking for a Thunderbolt cable, again, hoping to be in and out within a minute. But they don't keep TB cables on the floor, so I had to hunt somebody down to help me and get one from the back. What should've taken a minute took 15.

But between the massive crowds of people, the long waits, the inability to find someone to help you and the parents who use the Apple Store as a babysitting service while they go off shopping in the mall, going to the Apple Store is no longer the pleasant experience it once was. Most of the time I just end up ordering whatever I want from Amazon, and if I want it bad enough, I pay $3.99 for Prime overnight shipping - the total ends up being the same since I don't have to pay sales tax. The two times I mentioned above where I went into the Apple Store are the exception, not the rule.

Also, the fact that if you hit West County Center in STL at the wrong time of day you'll spend 10 minutes or more trying to find a parking space, only to end up parking in BFE doesn't help. Wish they'd build a stand-alone store here rather than having both of theirs in malls.

gregorypierce
Jul 2, 2012, 10:33 AM
"I've got it! We'll turn the desk round by 90 degrees!"

Indeed. I'm sitting here thinking "okay... you guys didn't actually just figure out you could put people on BOTH sides of a table - right?".

Drunken Master
Jul 2, 2012, 10:33 AM
I was looking for a case the other day

and it looked like a refugee zone in the genius area

hot sweaty sad people all clutching their busted devices

My local Apple stores are always balmy and hot.

Doesn't help that one of them has a glass roof. Go in there on a sunny day this summer and you'll be walking out with soggy boxers.

samcraig
Jul 2, 2012, 10:34 AM
Indeed. I'm sitting here thinking "okay... you guys didn't actually just figure out you could put people on BOTH sides of a table - right?".

It just works.

ivanozerov
Jul 2, 2012, 10:34 AM

Or you could use the Apple Store App, which allows you to ring up your own accessories, etc...

yg17
Jul 2, 2012, 10:35 AM
My local Apple stores are always balmy and hot.

Doesn't help that one of them has a glass roof. Go in there on a sunny day this summer and you'll be walking out with soggy boxers.

Swamp ass just from going to an Apple Store? No thanks :p

Kurwenal
Jul 2, 2012, 10:35 AM

True, but for anything I can buy with the Apple Store app, any advantage over Amazon.com is increasingly difficult to see.

Winni
Jul 2, 2012, 10:37 AM

Yeah, not bad for systems that are supposed to "just work"... :D

G51989
Jul 2, 2012, 10:38 AM
They really are avoiding the whole " we need a bigger store. " thing.

ivanozerov
True, but for anything I can buy with the Apple Store app, any advantage over Amazon.com is increasingly difficult to see.

Instant satisfaction of walking out the door with it, versus waiting a day or two for shipping. Just depends on how impatient you are :D

Kurwenal
Swamp ass just from going to an Apple Store? No thanks :p

Kind of puts a new spin on "I took it in the shorts on that deal...."

G51989
Jul 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
Also, with the amount of people Apple stores already attract.

Why no standard checkout lane?

Acorn
Jul 2, 2012, 10:50 AM
rather then make more space they should make better equipment

faroZ06
Jul 2, 2012, 10:52 AM
The article makes the Genius Bar sound like an iPhone.

trife
Jul 2, 2012, 10:53 AM
Am I the only person who avoids their local Apple store like the plague? I find it sad that I'd rather order online than step foot in there. Waaaaaay too many people in there at once.

JDB1983
Jul 2, 2012, 10:55 AM
Holy ****. Apple patent 'turning a table 90 degrees'!

Kurwenal
Jul 2, 2012, 10:56 AM
Am I the only person who avoids their local Apple store like the plague?

No. Scroll up.....

chilly willy
Absolutely. And staffed with more employees. I now avoid going to an Apple store -- packed with people and you have to fight to get some attention, even if you just want to pay for something. That "gatekeeper" at the door is a good concept but, last time I dared enter the hallowed realms, the gatekeeper told me, three times, "I'll get someone to help you" but no one ever showed up.

The original store here in Charlotte is a cramped, crowded nightmare almost every day. Basically a rectangle with all support towards back, so you have to run the gauntlet to get to genius bar etc. Chaos reigns even with mobile employees around. I wish they'd just get a bigger space. They have the customers clearly, so expanding by even 10 feet laterally would be fantastic relief. It's not like I want a flagship NYC or Tokyo store. Understand this is a smaller city but there are tons of folks here and around this area who flood the place. I'm starting to prefer the kiosk with Apple guy at BB. :eek:

Comeagain?
rather then make more space they should make better equipment

Because a multi-billion dollar company can obviously only work on one thing at a time. While the geniuses can work with three people.

. I'm starting to prefer the kiosk with Apple guy at BB. :eek:

if only they were reasonably bright at my local Best Buy.

Stephen123
Jul 2, 2012, 10:57 AM
This is welcome. But two other observations:

1. If only they raised store clerk wages, genius or not.

Um... They did just raise wages by about 25% for most retail employees. Also, their wages where well above average for computer retail before the raise.

Comeagain?
Jul 2, 2012, 11:03 AM
You know you can tell Apple your opinions on the size/busyness of your local stores.

http://www.apple.com/retail/feedback/

Kurwenal
Jul 2, 2012, 11:04 AM
if only they were reasonably bright at my local Best Buy.

This is the issue/problem. Go to Apple, you'll usually get good advice, but you'll have to fight through the Golden Horde to get it. Or, go to Best Buy, which will be empty -- just like (most but not all of) the heads of the employees.

Eidorian
Jul 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
I bought a Magic Mouse with the app. I was in and out of the zoo store within a minute.

Although last time I ventured to the Apple Store, I was looking for a Thunderbolt cable, again, hoping to be in and out within a minute. But they don't keep TB cables on the floor, so I had to hunt somebody down to help me and get one from the back. What should've taken a minute took 15.

But between the massive crowds of people, the long waits, the inability to find someone to help you and the parents who use the Apple Store as a babysitting service while they go off shopping in the mall, going to the Apple Store is no longer the pleasant experience it once was. That was my experience and it has been years since I have been to an Apple Store. Luckily I have an AASP with a small showroom just a over mile away from home now.

PDXoPDX
Jul 2, 2012, 11:17 AM
I like this new layout for a very different reason: less confusion about how to pay for things.

Every time I've had a genius bar appt there seems to be half a dozen people thinking that the GB is a bank of registers. My genius then had to take time to tell them to turn around and talk to somebody with an easy pay or use their iPhone to check out.

Having a registerless store with a typical retail layout (products up front, registers at the back wall) doesn't work very well right now - at least for the hordes of suburbanites who typically frequent Apple stores.

juannacho
Jul 2, 2012, 11:20 AM
I suppose with better use of space they can fit in more tiny horses...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l86q4v9ACC1qz5dkl.jpg

Eidorian
Jul 2, 2012, 11:21 AM
I suppose with better use of space they can fit in more tiny horses...

Image (http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l86q4v9ACC1qz5dkl.jpg)Amusing but it is a service animal, right?

koolmagicguy
Jul 2, 2012, 11:26 AM
They should genius stations all through the store...

You need a verb in there somewhere.

thelink
Jul 2, 2012, 11:41 AM
Bring on the iPad 4!!!! :eek: :cool:

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
You need a verb in there somewhere.

have*

markieg
Jul 2, 2012, 11:52 AM
i hate the genius bar.......... shop online for me

jmnikricket
Jul 2, 2012, 11:56 AM
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-11-28/

If only the Apple engineers read Dilbert... ;)

kiljoy616
Jul 2, 2012, 11:57 AM
That's great. Improvements are always welcomed if they help the customer

3 customers at a time is welcomed NOT! The thing that makes Apple different was that they took time with you to deal with your problem.

Hate throwing out some studies but there are plenty showing humans do go down hill if you force them to multitask. I really don't want this type of change to move forward just seems like Apple is going the wrong way, oh Steve we do miss you. :rolleyes:

Simple read on why people should stop deluding them selves they can multitask.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/multitasking-emotional-feel-better-_n_1467945.html

MacMan1620
Jul 2, 2012, 12:15 PM
what a stupid idea.. the apple store staff is already underpaid and over worked as it is. why doesn't apple spend a bit of that 100 Billion they have lying around and simply hire more staff! I miss Steve!

alanjay
Jul 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
Last week I went to the Apple Store in Regent St and as well as the two Genius Bars (one for iPhone etc and one for Mac) the Mac Geniuses were working on two tables next to the bar area helping users in a more informal side by side setting.

un10101
Jul 2, 2012, 01:04 PM
It looks to me that no matter what any store does, Apple or otherwise, no one will ever be happy. I think the majority of people just like to find something to complain about. I mean honestly. You know how busy Apple stores are and you have to wait 15 minutes and are surprised about it? Take a look around you. There are other people there as well.

SpyderBite
Jul 2, 2012, 01:28 PM
i hate the genius bar.......... shop online for me

What does the Genius Bar have to do with shopping? Its a repair service. :confused:

Bezetos
Jul 2, 2012, 01:36 PM

I second this. Every time I go to an Apple store it's completely packed and it takes ages to purchase something.

Moreover if you have a problem and you want them to have a look at something, you have to book an appointment (sic!). This doesn't happen in other (similar) retail stores.

That might also be partially due to the fact that people come to Apple Stores to ask stupid questions about their devices.

----------

Heh, maybe I'm reading too much into this but Apple's trademark simplicity seems to boil down to even the considerations of interior design. Simply rotating a table 90 degrees allows double the customer space. Genius.

I think you're definitely reading too much into this ;)

mytdave
Jul 2, 2012, 01:46 PM
I don't care much for this "Genius Bar" idea... I like the separation between me and the "genius" and the kids section is one of the best features of Apple stores. If it weren't there, it's unlikely that I would visit Apple stores very often unless I absolutely had to.

phillipduran
Jul 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
Holy ****. Apple patent 'turning a table 90 degrees'!

There will be lawsuits. I have seen several other stores that had this long before Apple did.

G5isAlive
Jul 2, 2012, 02:03 PM

actually for something as simple as a track pad you can use your apple app and pay for it yourself while standing there. no attendant needed. how slick is that?

Edit: slaps his own head, um, this might not be so slick if you don't own an iPhone sorry.

loko
Jul 2, 2012, 02:04 PM
"Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way"

I have purchased many many many macs, ipods, and ipads only because of my children.

This is wrong

Silver Box
Jul 2, 2012, 02:12 PM
I agree with you on that. I feel like I know an infinite amount more than they do and they are supposed to be the "geniuses"? Yeah, i think not. They act slighly arrogant and they shouldnt, they arent the next Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak...:D

So... you know more than they do and you're calling them arrogant?

Oh, the irony.

G5isAlive
Jul 2, 2012, 02:13 PM
I like this new layout for a very different reason: less confusion about how to pay for things.

Every time I've had a genius bar appt there seems to be half a dozen people thinking that the GB is a bank of registers. My genius then had to take time to tell them to turn around and talk to somebody with an easy pay or use their iPhone to check out.

Having a registerless store with a typical retail layout (products up front, registers at the back wall) doesn't work very well right now - at least for the hordes of suburbanites who typically frequent Apple stores.

This is about the only positive I see here from the change... hadn't considered it. thanks!

but, I don't see this design as working. I like having clear space between me and the genius so we can look at the computer/ipad/iphone together without feeling crowded. And what about all that test equipment they keep tucked behind? Are they going to have to go look for it now in some other location (taking more time)? The geniuses have to stand somewhere, are they going to start kicking people off the stools so they can sit and work? etc etc etc.

but worst idea ever is to get rid of the kid's area. 1) the kid's area keeps parents who are waiting happy. 2) the unfortunate kid will now most likely want to sit at the table next to mommy or daddy. 3) when said kid starts acting out from boredom the rest of the customers will also get annoyed.

but Apple didn't ask my my opinion. Apparently they think its their store.

Sensation
Jul 2, 2012, 02:22 PM
The Genius staff are useless, my friends permissions all got screwed up on OS X. The staff just told him to reinstall OS X. In the end I fixed the permissions using chmod recursively on his user folder.

emiliosic
Jul 2, 2012, 02:47 PM
It's a shame that they're considering the removal of the kids section. My 2 and 3 year old already know about it; They occasionally dragged me to the stores and purchased educational software for them; also keeps them busy when I occasionally need to shop around the store. This would be another reason not to set foot into these stores

Glideslope
Jul 2, 2012, 02:47 PM
Nice. :apple:

IndyDave
Jul 2, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry, but that's just stupid. Apple's bread and butter is families*, with kids. Don't be daft.

Not to mention the obvious marketing. Every time we went to the Store, I'd hear about whatever game they had that I didn't for weeks. "Please buy xxx, dad!"

* Well, except for the phone.

And your sales data that back this claim come from where, exactly? A consumer with no children (grown or by choice) may have far more discretionary income to blow on the latest, greatest and may not be amused by gummy-fingered, shrieking children while trying to make a relatively expensive technology purchase. If you can afford the products and services, you can afford a babysitter. I have never made an Apple store purchase for this reason. Ever.

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 2, 2012, 02:58 PM
This is a miss on two counts.

There are far too many people to do this with for the Genius Bar. There is a circus atmosphere around the genius 'bar' already. Waking it so that people can mill around on both sides is just going to make it uglier. Why not a circle table with the geniuses in the inside, and one cut to allow for them to get in/out.
I see parental units 'parking' their kids at the kids table all the time. Not having 'jr.' pawing at the displays and yanking their parents hand for attention is a cool idea. Parental units tend to feel more relaxed and probably buy more then too. Apple should actually invest more into the whole 'kids table' idea, rather than dump it...

iRobby
Jul 2, 2012, 03:10 PM

NOT TRUE!!

Apple made it easier to buy accessories with their Apple Store iPhone App. It has Express Checkout. All you do is find your accessory on the shelf scan it using the Apple Store App and walk out. The App uses the payment method on your iTunes account and emails you a receipt.

jayducharme
Jul 2, 2012, 03:18 PM
To me, it looks really awkward and a huge waste of space. I don't know why they didn't simply keep it parallel with the back wall, but pulled out a little further so accommodate people on both sides.

TheHareBear
Jul 2, 2012, 03:21 PM

I don't think I had given enough information for you to be able to pass judgement on how my children should or should not be cared for in tandem with the journey I have to undertake to actually get to an Apple store? I'd used the word 'had', which might have been a clue that there weren't many options open to me other than taking them along.

Andrew

iRobby
Jul 2, 2012, 03:23 PM

----------

NOT TRUE!!

I paid for my Apple branded iPhone and iPad docks with the app. The only things that you can't buy are hardware that is stored in the back. Such as iMacs, MacBooks,Mac Mini, iPad,iPhone etc.

HelveticaRoman
Jul 2, 2012, 03:41 PM
Why don't they use the same strategy in busy hospitals: just turn the beds by 90 degrees O.o?

rkahl
Jul 2, 2012, 03:48 PM

No kidding, the store is already a zoo in there enough!

Doctor Q
Jul 2, 2012, 03:49 PM
Why not a circle table with the geniuses in the inside, and one cut to allow for them to get in/out.
I see parental units 'parking' their kids at the kids table all the time. Not having 'jr.' pawing at the displays and yanking their parents hand for attention is a cool idea. Parental units tend to feel more relaxed and probably buy more then too. Apple should actually invest more into the whole 'kids table' idea, rather than dump it...
[/LIST]
A circular table would have two more advantages:
The circle of chairs would have a longer circumference than the table so you could fit more people at each computer. The genius could sit next to you and you could both see the screen.

Leave the geniuses on the outside (they should always be helping someone so they will never be on the inside) and put the kids and their iPadson the inside! They'll be safe and parents sitting on the outside can keep an eye on them!

rkahl
Jul 2, 2012, 04:00 PM
"Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way"

I have purchased many many many macs, ipods, and ipads only because of my children.

This is wrong

I know. Where are these kids parents?

thejadedmonkey
Jul 2, 2012, 04:11 PM

When the Apple stores first opened where I live, I was honestly shocked to see how small they were. I mean, our "primary" store is about the size I would think they would have kept their "secondary" store ... and the smaller of the two? Well, I believe they've already moved it once to a larger space, but it's still not big enough.

I mean, it's not like Apple has to be concerned about a lack of foot traffic or sufficient sales to justify their monthly rent. (This probably WAS a concern, back when Apple first got into retail and everyone said they were doomed to failure....)

If they've reached a point where they've got to change the Genius bar from a real bar metaphor (with the "bartender" on one side and customers on the other) AND eliminating a kids' area, just to accommodate everyone? It's time for a larger store!

The problem is by keeping everyone in a tight area, it appears more busy. And if a lot of people shop there, then someone passing by will think "Wow, they must have great products! Look at how many people shop there". And Apple gets another sale, just by having a smaller store.

And it works like that, too. If you're ever in an Apple store during a slow time, count the number of people. About 2/6 are Apple employees, 3/6 are there for genius appointments - happily shopping while waiting, and just 1/6 are actual shoppers.

gcmexico
Jul 2, 2012, 04:13 PM

-
just purchase it with your iphone, use the Apple Store app, it scans the bar of the item and charges your itunes account...all done, that was simple:cool:

TimTheEnchanter
Jul 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
Had to rough out an idea where you expand the Genius Bar, keep the kid stations and hopefully keep flow...

THX1139
Jul 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wait times might be shorter, but getting actual service will take longer because the genius will be spread thin having to deal with multiple customers at once. I'd rather wait in line an extra 15 minutes because when I'm dealing with a genius, I want his full attention... not have it divided between several customers.

JAT
Jul 2, 2012, 04:51 PM
And your sales data that back this claim come from where, exactly? A consumer with no children (grown or by choice) may have far more discretionary income to blow on the latest, greatest and may not be amused by gummy-fingered, shrieking children while trying to make a relatively expensive technology purchase. If you can afford the products and services, you can afford a babysitter. I have never made an Apple store purchase for this reason. Ever.

Ooh, I riled up the child-hater crowd. Please say that about my kids in public to my face. Pleeeeaaaassssse.

Lancer
Jul 2, 2012, 05:06 PM
How hard is it to become an Apple Genius?

I have a Diploma in IT from TAFE :)

shulerg
Jul 2, 2012, 05:24 PM
Helping up to three people at once? No, not good. Multitasking works well for computers, but imo it makes people do shoddy, unfocused work. Do one thing well and then move on.

rcp27
Jul 2, 2012, 05:34 PM

If I buy it from Amazon, there's a fair chance it will end up in some delivery company's warehouse in some industrial estate in the middle of nowhere that can only accept collections in office hours. As someone who works full time, getting things delivered from internet suppliers can be a real pain in the posterior

G51989
Jul 2, 2012, 05:43 PM
Ooh, I riled up the child-hater crowd. Please say that about my kids in public to my face. Pleeeeaaaassssse.

Id never say that to anyone about their kid in an Apple Store. Nothing wrong with kids there.

But in like a high end restaurant , I sure would tell someone to shut their kid up. But its not reallt the same thing

rdlink
Jul 2, 2012, 07:05 PM

And this is why you aren't a billionaire.

How about: The longer the kids are entertained the longer we have to sell Mom or Dad a new computer/iPhone/iPad?

How about the fact that kids have a tremendous influence on family purchase decisions, and have been gaining in that influence for several decades (i.e., McDonalds, etc.)?

rkahl
Jul 2, 2012, 08:26 PM

Wow... OK.

charlituna
Jul 2, 2012, 11:08 PM
My wife said, "Aren't they interested in the next generation?"

so they will do what they did for weeks when there were iMacs on the table with the same old games -- go play with the demo iPads and iPod touches on the main tables

----------

IAll I want to do is buy a trackpad.

That is exactly why they added that whole ring yourself up thing in their store iPhone app. I haven't had to wait for help for that sort of stuff in ages and I love it.

----------

It's not that simple. Even if Apple wanted to lease a larger space there has to be one that the landlords want to give to them. Sometimes there isn't any room or the Landlords don't want Apple tearing up the space to the amount they need to in order to put in their wiring, flooring etc.

----------

I've seen so many people drop their kids off at the kids table at the apple store in malls while they look around, leaving them to yell and run around.

If I was the manager in a store where that was going on I'd walk right up to the customer and tell him/her to get the kids in check or I would invoke the right to refuse service and ban the lot of them. And then I'd do it. No one, no matter how much they might spend, is worth putting up with that nonsense.

----------

Hmm...

in many cases two of the three computers, phones etc are loading some software update or such that doesn't require the tech to be there watching the spinner go around. Why have him/her there with thumb up butt when someone else could be helped.

----------

And what about all that test equipment they keep tucked behind?

Many stores have already moved to having all the test programs and such on a server that they access by plugging your computer into an ethernet port which could be under the top of the table and it's easy enough for them to toss the cable around their necks like many of them already do with their device cables.

not to mention that there could be a set of drawers we just can't see in that photo with whatever else they need

The geniuses have to stand somewhere,

next to you and your computer. they already aren't allowed to sit and that isn't likely to change. why? because they don't want customers getting the idea that they can hang out with their new Apple Genius buddy and take forever. in and out is what Apple wants. If it takes more than that 15 minutes then they want it checked it to do whatever it needs in the back over night.

when said kid starts acting out from boredom the rest of the customers will also get annoyed.

its not their job to entertain your kid. It's yours so deal with it.

Apparently they think its their store.

No they know it's their store and they have every right to do what they want in their store so long as they aren't breaking any laws. including taking out the kids tables, moving around the repair area, making you have to get an appointment and yes even kicking you and your pet out of the store.

albusseverus
Jul 3, 2012, 12:36 AM
This has been happening informally, anyway. Not that I think it's a good move, at all.

iPhone replacements have been handled away from Genius Bar, away from other tables, in the aisles. Wait here and the Genius will see you where you stand.

There's something reassuring about the old layout - different from the rest of the shop. A sheltered port, away from the storm.

It's a long time since the Bar gave that impression of calm and organisation. For too long, it's been a shambles.

Moving it to open tables is just another step into the chaos of the rest of the store. What's the point of a place to sit and plonk down your toy, if you'll be facing another distressed customer? Then you have to turn away to interact with the Genius.

Maybe Apple's moving to the swap-over model for all products. Less and less repairable MacBook Pro Retina, just dipping the toe in the water to see how customers like it.

Maybe, like the noise (discussed below), it's a way to get you WANT to get out of the store quicker.

As long as the service stays first-rate, I'm sure it's more annoying for the Genius than it is for customers. Still not a step in the right direction.

Genius bar deserves its own floor and calm, not more chaos.

2. If only they fixed the severe acoustical problems…

I've always wondered why they don't do something about the noise levels in stores. Can't be good for staff. And it drives customers crazy! This isn't detail that needs attention, for some it's the abiding impression of an Apple Store - just how noisy it is in there.

I can't imagine Apple is unaware of the issue.

It must persist for a reason. To minimise the time tire-kickers spend in the store? To increase urgency to buy? Weaken the will, during up-selling? That's a two edged sword, but all sales is…

blackhand1001
Jul 3, 2012, 01:36 AM
Bingo!!! Same reason I can no longer shop in an Apple Store. I know it is not "hip" to have a "take a number dispenser" and/or a dedicated checkout lane, but it would sure help things move more efficiently for those of us who just want to "grab something quick". Tired of wandering around trying to catch the eye of an employee. I am sure that if I were young, female, and pretty I would have no problem. Sadly, I am the opposite of all that...

Yeah, I honestly hate the retail experience in Apple stores, they are always very crowded and they seem very unorganized and hectic. They should take some hints from the standalone verizon stores that have the television monitors with the queue listed.

IndyDave
Jul 3, 2012, 02:36 AM

What makes you think I don't have kids, or grand kids but don't think it is everyone else's responsibility to entertain them?

Really? You are going to go Cro Magnon over someone else's opinion, eh? Says it all for me. I don't go to Apple stores to buy products to avoid people with similar attitudes. Too many other options.

DeeEss
Jul 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
Good idea to increase the genius bar size. That way they can take care of the growing amount of problems arising with their products.

:rolleyes:

PinkyMacGodess
Jul 3, 2012, 08:44 AM

And also part of Apple's drive to own the whole process, and not let others have their own Apple themed stores. Note I'm not referring to the kiosks in Best Buy and WalMart, etc...

If more resellers were able to handle the load of support for both hardware and software, or even larger colleges and universities, there probably wouldn't be as many people swarming over the Genius Bars. Maybe???

But there is a unique 'vibe' in an Apple Store. I've heard the most interesting things when I've been waiting for my appointments. Sometimes I've been able to help someone find what they are looking for, and help them out...

Mactekk
Jul 3, 2012, 09:45 AM
Just waiting in a apple store I think I've (sold) products just by taking about them to people. I can't see it being a hard sell.

SmileyBlast!
Jul 3, 2012, 11:32 AM
The Title of this article should have been...
Apple Stores add 2 extra stools to the Genius Bar. :D
Instead of:
Apple Testing Redesigned Genius Bar to Increase Capacity:rolleyes:

JAT
Jul 3, 2012, 12:30 PM
What makes you think I don't have kids, or grand kids but don't think it is everyone else's responsibility to entertain them?

Really? You are going to go Cro Magnon over someone else's opinion, eh? Says it all for me. I don't go to Apple stores to buy products to avoid people with similar attitudes. Too many other options.
No violence, just embarrass the piss out of idiots.

And frankly, the entire purpose of the Apple Store is to entertain people. Maybe to sell stuff, on the side. Kids can't be included? :rolleyes:

bedifferent
Jul 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
Forgive me if I'm misinformed, but isn't John Browett as the new chief of Apple retail making these decisions?

Doctor Q
Jul 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
This is easy to settle. Let's have four separate Apple stores: for customers with kids, customers needing genius help, customers who are both, and customers who are neither.

ibuyufo
Jul 3, 2012, 11:11 PM
I don't know why they don't just split the table length wise in half so the genius can attend to either side.

AidenShaw
Jul 3, 2012, 11:54 PM
I don't know why they don't just split the table length wise in half so the genius can attend to either side.

That would be too complex for an Apple Genius to comprehend, and their tiny craniums would explode.

G51989
Jul 4, 2012, 12:06 AM
Instead of turning a table sideways?

Why don't they?

A: Add a Checkout Lane or two, it might not be ' cool ' but it will get customers out the door much faster.

B: Don't call them " genius's " I'm not saying there aren't good ones, but most of these people are Best Buy Geek Squad material at best.

C: Bigger?

chat2ian
Jul 7, 2012, 02:47 PM
This new arrangement is already in place in my local store (Birmingham, UK). Apple staff are great and I can't praise them highly enough, but the retail experience is appalling. The store is too small, there are people waiting for appointments all over the place, customers and genius bar staff are literally falling over each other on both sides of the genius bar. It's also a security nightmare being squashed in there like sardines - I always feel like I'm about to be pickpocketed.

Then there's the awful experience of simply trying to buy something - I've left on several occasions because I just couldn't get served.

What's needed is a single "Pay Here" location with a good old fashioned queue and people who simply take money - they don't need to be product trained, just till trained - and fast. This would free up time and space. Though I'd go as far as saying that retail and genius bar (or any after-sales service) shouldn't even be on the same floor. If anyone can afford multi-level stores, it's Apple. The stores are too small.

The congestion is 90% genius bar and accessories sales, so those operations should be moved to an area better suited to after-sales - like a different floor.

Did I mention that the stores are too small? ;0)

Steve.P.JobsFan
Aug 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
The store at Twelve Oaks in Novi, Michigan is HUUUGE!

But they still manage to have so many people in there that you're elbow to elbow.

Don't even get me started on the Briarwood store in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm sure a few Ann Arbor MR members can back me up on that one....