PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] Any iPad owners considering the Nexus 7?

kaydot
Jul 2, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'm an iPad 2012 owner and this is my first tablet. I've since fallen in love with the portable form factor, reading Flipboard, Pocket and generally surfing the web. I also enjoyed the new Magic game, Scribblenauts and Tiny Tower.

The Nexus 7 looks great and it's only $200. The early reviews are in, and they are really great.

Are any current iPad owners considering getting the Nexus 7?

I'm thinking of getting it mostly because I'm now addicted to tablet computing.

ntc3freak
Jul 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
ME! Technically I don't own an iPad yet (will do in the next 2 weeks) but I will pick up the Nexus 7 as well. I'm so excited! My first tablets! I've waited long enough by the sidelines. Both look excellent and perform excellently. Not to mention Jelly Bean is now so much smoother, that was my primary criticism of Android tablets before this.

My bet is there will be a lot more people like us :D especially those with kids. The Nexus 7 is far more suitable to give to a kid than an iPad IMO. And if they break it, at least it won't cost you as much in repairs :p

jojoba
Jul 2, 2012, 11:04 AM
I like the 7" size. It doesn't cut it for me in terms of what I need my iPad for, so I won't be getting one any time soon, but my husband just got a Samsung 7" tab and the light weight is pretty nice.

barkomatic
Jul 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
The Nexus 7 looks great, but since I already own an iPad I'm not planning to get one. It would be redundant and a waste of money for me to have two tablets.

However, my iPhone contract is about to expire so I might pick up the new iPhone (hopefully it will have a bigger screen) or a large screen Android phone.

kaydot
Jul 2, 2012, 11:52 AM
The Nexus 7 looks great, but since I already own an iPad I'm not planning to get one. It would be redundant and a waste of money for me to have two tablets.

That's actually my hangup on getting the device - two tablets. Kind of redundant. But I've grown to love the tablet experience, that I hardly imagine that you can have too many. If my GF is monopolizing the iPad, at the very least I can do some light surfing and Flipboarding on the Nexus!

My other problem is that I love good deals. The reviews have been basically unanimous in that the Nexus 7 is a great deal at $200.

yang88she
Jul 2, 2012, 12:04 PM
Nope, my iPad does everything I need it to do minus making me a sandwich

-TYLER
Jul 2, 2012, 12:05 PM
If I didn't have an iPad, I would of bought the nexus over a iPad.

h1r0ll3r
Jul 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
Nope. Call me a slave to the ecosystem but I'm perfectly happy with my holy trinity of Apple goodies. iPad does everything I need so I don't need another tablet. That and I have an HP Touchpad as well. The addition of the Nexus 7 would be uber redundant.

number84
Jul 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would if it came with 3G/4G/LTE as it'd be more portable than my iPad. As for having more than one tablet, with 3 of us in the house I'd think we'd find use for an extra one.

advan031
Jul 2, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've owned every iteration and currently own the latest iPad. I bought a Nexus 7 to finally give android a shot since it looks like the most polished android version:D.

SaleenS351
Jul 2, 2012, 02:08 PM
I have an iPad 3 and I'm considering the nexus 7 in addition to my iPad. Just not sure about having 2 tablets. Although they do offer some differences that might make it worth having both.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3. Switching from my iPhone 4s. Jelly Bean does intrigue me along with price, size, and diversity.

We shall see. The problem is I have a lot invested in the iPad both app wise and $$$. I don't think I could ditch both the iPhone and iPad. Seeing as I'm deeply invested in the apple ecosystem.

doboy
Jul 2, 2012, 02:15 PM
No. I already have a 7" android device that I rarely use. I prefer to take my iPad to work. 7" is still too cumbersome to use outside.

R1PPER
Jul 2, 2012, 03:00 PM
might get the kids a second hand one in 8 months...doesn't matter if they drop it in a swimming pool.

mcdj
Jul 2, 2012, 03:05 PM
If I didn't have an iPad, I would of bought the nexus over a iPad.

It's wood of.

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2012, 03:11 PM
It's wood of.

Huh? Shouldn't it be "would have"? Am I missing some kind of in-joke?

Renzatic
Jul 2, 2012, 03:18 PM
Shood of wood of cood of

Ipadfever
Jul 2, 2012, 04:37 PM
Why have an iPad and nexus 7????

seajewel
Jul 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
Why have an iPad and nexus 7????

I have neither, but I think a Nexus 7 would be a perfect reading device, like a Kindle but for people who don't mind not having e-ink. I worship my Sony PRS-950, but it's good for reading and absolutely nothing else, whereas a Nexus 7 combines the portability of a smaller (but bigger than an iPhone screen) and lighter (than the iPad) reading device with other tasks like email, web browsing, video, games. the 7 inch size is not great for reading PDFs though, which I have to do a lot of for work.. so I could see having a bigger iPad for at home entertainment+work documents and a Nexus 7 as a Kindle replacement.

B777Forevar
Jul 2, 2012, 04:48 PM
Might get one. It looks pretty nice.

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2012, 05:45 PM
...so I could see having a bigger iPad for at home entertainment+work documents and a Nexus 7 as a Kindle replacement.

But it's another device to carry. I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere I go, and my iPhone totally comes everywhere with me, so in that sense, I have no need or desire to carry yet a third device. So I'm not interested in the Nexus 7, nor would I be ineterested if Apple were to come out with a 7 inch iPad. To me, the iPad is the perfect reading device, and when it is too inconvinient to take out my iPad, I can get by with my iPhone.

cdf3
Jul 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
The Nexus 7 does seem pretty tempting with its form factor and price.
If I didn't already have an Android tablet, I would get it to go along with my iPad.
I tend to use my iPad more, but the Android tablet I have comes in handy when transferring files to and from my USB jump drive.
I mostly use the cloud to store documents, but transferring files via USB comes in handy when I'm at work and can't pickup a data signal inside the building.

seajewel
Jul 2, 2012, 05:58 PM
But it's another device to carry. I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere I go, and my iPhone totally comes everywhere with me, so in that sense, I have no need or desire to carry yet a third device. So I'm not interested in the Nexus 7, nor would I be ineterested if Apple were to come out with a 7 inch iPad. To me, the iPad is the perfect reading device, and when it is too inconvinient to take out my iPad, I can get by with my iPhone.

Some people don't want to carry the iPad around, whereas the Nexus 7 might be more reasonable to fit in a purse. I understand it doesn't fit your needs--personally, I like my e-ink reading device and its size for novel reading, and found the iPad unwieldy for that purpose. I was just stating why I think some people might want both.

fs454
Jul 2, 2012, 05:59 PM
I'm dying for something in between 3.5 inches and 10 inches, but I'm not going to give up the retina display, ever. No reason at all to go back to a standard-DPI display.

I'd love an iOS device at 5 inches or something so I could have something large enough to share videos and whatnot like I do with my iPad but that can also make calls and stuff.

jeremyshaw
Jul 2, 2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know... I've carried a Nook Color around with me for a while, it's size was okay, but still a bit too large to be convinient. I thought some of the convinience was set in software, but after owning a Transformer TF101 for a while (about as stock android as it got for tablets), I still didn't like it. I now don't even have a tablet, just relying on my iphone when I have to, and my laptop when I can use it. I have an iPad, but without mobile data on mine (I didn't think to get the 3G version when I was buying), it's somewhat useless.

I think I'll wait for a larger iphone (if it happens), and see if that resolves my mobile needs. Wants? Well, that may take a leap of faith.

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2012, 06:04 PM
Some people don't want to carry the iPad around, whereas the Nexus 7 might be more reasonable to fit in a purse. I understand it doesn't fit your needs--personally, I like my e-ink reading device and its size for novel reading, and found the iPad unwieldy for that purpose. I was just stating why I think some people might want both.

Yes, for people who find the iPad too big to carry outside the house/office, I can see how they might find a 7 inch size attractive. Your post just crystalized for me why *I* don't want a 7 inch tablet -- it's because I already carry the iPad with me almost everywhere. Sorry I didn't make that clear before.

Buildbright
Jul 2, 2012, 06:07 PM
I am getting one and we have two ipads in our household. I have never seen anything come close to the ipad but this is not an ipad. The nexus 7 is something different and I would like to try it. I am going to use mine in my car as my new radio/gps.

I never was for a 7" device but as a car radio/gps it will be the perfect size. I just have to work on getting the device to work in landscape view. The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

Alcibar
Jul 2, 2012, 07:05 PM
Seems like the main purpose of the 7 in form factor is for use outside the home. I don't get the desire for a more portable tablet that does not have a cellular data plan. Why sit around home with a Nexus 7 when you could be using a iPad. Certainly the iPad is not too big when you see tons of preschoolers using them.

Badrottie
Jul 2, 2012, 07:12 PM
No I am not into android device. But I hope to buy BB PlayBook later

doboy
Jul 2, 2012, 08:52 PM
I am getting one and we have two ipads in our household. I have never seen anything come close to the ipad but this is not an ipad. The nexus 7 is something different and I would like to try it. I am going to use mine in my car as my new radio/gps.

I never was for a 7" device but as a car radio/gps it will be the perfect size. I just have to work on getting the device to work in landscape view. The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

You plan on tethering it to something for data? Also I think it's aGPS so it may not be too accurate without data to assist the built-in gps.

flyguy206
Jul 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
Really no point if you have a smart phone. The 7 inch tablet is a waste of money

Scrub175
Jul 2, 2012, 09:42 PM
no

onthecouchagain
Jul 2, 2012, 09:49 PM

How will you have WiFi in the car?

boomboom2
Jul 2, 2012, 09:53 PM
Really no point if you have a smart phone. The 7 inch tablet is a waste of money

I have a smartphone and will be buying one. It will be a perfect little reader with plenty of multimedia capabilities.

Lance-AR
Jul 2, 2012, 10:15 PM
My two year old daughter really wants an iPad. She asks me every week to make sure she is going to get one for her birthday. She has sat me down and shown me which apps she wants on it.

I'm really hoping the 7" model will be out by early October to fit her little hands.

blackhand1001
Jul 2, 2012, 10:23 PM
My two year old daughter really wants an iPad. She asks me every week to make sure she is going to get one for her birthday. She has sat me down and shown me which apps she wants on it.

I'm really hoping the 7" model will be out by early October to fit her little hands.

Get her the nexus 7. Most of the apps are probably on it as well, and the good thing is a lot of them are free on android. Th nexus 7 is getting rave reviews and Jellybean is an amazing OS.

Lance-AR
Jul 2, 2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you. I have not considered an android but will look into it.

aznguyen316
Jul 2, 2012, 10:40 PM
Yes since I have a wifi only iPad and all I really seem to do on the iPad is read books and browse the web and stream videos from my network. I can do this with an 8GB Nexus 7 and save some money on the side. I do love the iPad though as it can do a lot more, but 80% of my usage the Nexus 7 sounds like it can do as well. I guess the main consideration is the screen size.

-TYLER
Jul 2, 2012, 11:22 PM
It's wood of.

What?

rowspaxe
Jul 2, 2012, 11:45 PM
i read through this looking for the feature of 7" tablets that i was missing--it just seems so phone'ish. cest la vie.

Carlanga
Jul 2, 2012, 11:56 PM
Having two tablets for a single person is ridiculous; unless your job involves showing stuff to people on them.

Night Spring
Jul 3, 2012, 12:07 AM

My cousin's 3 year old son loves his iPad, and he's constantly surprising his mom by figuring out how to do things on it himself. He can FaceTime with his Grandma, and carries around the iPad so he can show her stuff. He doesn't always quite point the camera at what he's trying to show, leading to some hilarious results, but the point is, the current iPad is by no means too big for little kids. If you can afford it, do consider a full size iPad for your daughter, a bigger screen makes for a more engaging experience.

ixodes
Jul 3, 2012, 12:09 AM
Since Apple is so afraid of Samsung, I'm thinking this may cause Apple to do two things.

1) Seek to ban it's sales.

2) Bring a 7" iPad to market before the holidays.

These days Apple is beginning to get predictable.

number84
Jul 3, 2012, 01:03 AM
Since Apple is so afraid of Samsung, I'm thinking this may cause Apple to do two things.

1) Seek to ban it's sales.

2) Bring a 7" iPad to market before the holidays.

These days Apple is beginning to get predictable.

Just an FYI - these are made by Asus and not Samsung.

BluePhoenixRa
Jul 3, 2012, 01:07 AM
I found some things about the Nexus 7 interesting. But 7", it's too small of a screen for me. I'm perfectly comfortable with the iPad screen size, and I think it works great.

Also, as someone somewhere said, I've had Apple iOS devices for a long time now, I just don't see the point of buying a lot of the apps for a second type of device. This being the best (and I guess also worst part?) thing about having sharing capabilities between multiple devices.

I wouldn't mind trying out a Nexus 7. But for everyday use, I love my iPad, and I prefer Apple products.

But hey that's just me. =)

Michael383
Jul 3, 2012, 03:01 AM
Although the Nexus 7 looks interesting, I'm happy with my iPad.

mcman77
Jul 3, 2012, 04:02 AM
The nexus 7 does not rotate in the landscape view for the homescreen.

Yes it does rotate to landscape.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168830&d=1341136086

Having two tablets for a single person is ridiculous; unless your job involves showing stuff to people on them.

What sort of a job is that....I want that job lol! :)

ixodes
Jul 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
Just an FYI - these are made by Asus and not Samsung.
That's right, thanks for correcting me.

I'd like a 7" iPad as a companion to my full size iPads. There are lots of times even it'd be nice to tuck a smaller lighter iPad into my laptop bag.

monkeylui
Jul 3, 2012, 04:26 AM
I thought about getting one. But it would be in addition too my iPad, not a replacement of.

taedouni
Jul 3, 2012, 04:46 AM
I have an iPad 3 and I love it. My sisters have a Kindle Fire. I rooted it and flashed ICS CM9 on it for fun and they love it. I would never use an Android device as my main device but I love tinkering with gadgets. The Kindle Fire was a piece of crap on the stock OS. It was so laggy and locked down (which is stupid since it's an Android device) that it was complete garbage. They thanked me so much for doing what I did.

flight
Jul 3, 2012, 05:28 AM
I own an iPad and would love to get a Nexus tablet. Mainly to check out the latest Android release but to also to travel with. It's the same idea as when I bought a used netbook when I already had an iMac: I wanted to check out every new Ubuntu version on a dedicated device (i.e. not in VirtualBox).

alflavor
Jul 3, 2012, 05:43 AM
Nah, I'm happy with Apple ecosystem. I must admit it looks like to be the most impressive ipad contender that's come out so far though and good luck to it.

NbinHD
Jul 3, 2012, 06:54 AM
Looking into getting one for my birthday, but would much prefer to have a 7" Apple Tablet then the Nexus since I love iOS and how stable/safe it is. We can only hope, a 7" iPad would be absolutely beautiful for my needs.

Piggie
Jul 3, 2012, 07:14 AM
A good, level headed, unbiased review of this new device here:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/07/google-nexus-7-tablet-review-the-new-best-way-to-spend-160-quid/

Very tempted to pick one up.

headfuzz
Jul 3, 2012, 07:21 AM
Was tempted until I discovered there's no 3G version.

Having to tether a MID to another MID such as a smartphone to get online always struck me as an incredibly dumb paradigm.

Piggie
Jul 3, 2012, 07:26 AM
Was tempted until I discovered there's no 3G version.

Having to tether a MID to another MID such as a smartphone to get online always struck me as an incredibly dumb paradigm.

I guess many people tend to assume that most will naturally have their mobile phone with them all the time anyway, and, like with the iPad, the WiFi model is the most popular.
Firstly due to the ridiculous mark up Apple put on the 3G addition which cannot ever be justified, and that you can just use your mobile you have with you anyway for the odd occasion you need it.

Of course, some do need 3G in their tablet but only the minority

gloss
Jul 3, 2012, 08:00 AM
Was strongly considering it, but the uxorial committee vetoed.

racer1441
Jul 3, 2012, 08:03 AM
I have one on order. $200 is nothing. I'll see what it's like for a while then most likely give it to someone.

May also just use it in situations where if I get it lost or damaged, I won't care because it's cheap and not my beautiful iPad.

bufffilm
Jul 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
not bad...over 9 hrs runtime on a form-factor that small with a quad-core cpu is pretty impressive. the non-3g support isn't as big a deal as some try to make out and is par for the course for tablets on this size and price point.

would have liked to have seen sd card support from the get-go, but 16 gb is sufficient for most use cases.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/07/google-nexus-7-tablet-review-the-new-best-way-to-spend-160-quid/

Night Spring
Jul 3, 2012, 11:09 AM
I guess many people tend to assume that most will naturally have their mobile phone with them all the time anyway, and, like with the iPad, the WiFi model is the most popular.
Firstly due to the ridiculous mark up Apple put on the 3G addition which cannot ever be justified, and that you can just use your mobile you have with you anyway for the odd occasion you need it.

Not every carrier offers tethering options on their smartphone plans, or they price it so high that a separate data plan for your tablet is actually more economical. And what odd occasion? I use cellular data on my iPad almost every time I leave my house. Also, currently I have an iPhone because my employer is paying the phone bill. If not, I would just get a dumb phone and just have my iPad. And then there's the matter of battery -- I haven't tethered myself, but I've seen reports of people saying tethering drains their smartphone battery rather fast. In that case people might not want to depend on their smartphone to supply the data connection for their tablet.

seajewel
Jul 3, 2012, 11:20 AM
Seems like the main purpose of the 7 in form factor is for use outside the home. I don't get the desire for a more portable tablet that does not have a cellular data plan. Why sit around home with a Nexus 7 when you could be using a iPad. Certainly the iPad is not too big when you see tons of preschoolers using them.

for novel reading, a 7 inch reader that's significantly lighter than the iPad totally has uses at home, in my experience. and sometimes when this is brought up people get into pissing contests about "how weak are you if you can't even hold the iPad for reading".. but the weight does make a difference, especially to disabled or elderly people. I'm neither, but I still prefer my 9 oz Sony Reader if I'm reading for hours in bed.

SandboxGeneral
Jul 3, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm an iPad 2012 owner and this is my first tablet. I've since fallen in love with the portable form factor, reading Flipboard, Pocket and generally surfing the web. I also enjoyed the new Magic game, Scribblenauts and Tiny Tower.

The Nexus 7 looks great and it's only $200. The early reviews are in, and they are really great.

Are any current iPad owners considering getting the Nexus 7?

I'm thinking of getting it mostly because I'm now addicted to tablet computing.

It does look like a nice device. I am considering it, but if I do, it won't be to replace my new iPad. I'd get out of curiosity because the price isn't too much. I would like to see how Android works and have never messed with it before. I think it would be a good experience for me to gain perspective on the iOS competitor.

WindWaker
Jul 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
Got an iPad 3 day 1, already pre-ordered a 16GB N7. I'm into the Android modification scene, a bit of a hobby :D

Anyway, I'm very excited-- been wanting to try a 7in tablet for a while, much more a Nexus one!

boomboom2
Jul 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
It does look like a nice device. I am considering it, but if I do, it won't be to replace my new iPad. I'd get out of curiosity because the price isn't too much. I would like to see how Android works and have never messed with it before. I think it would be a good experience for me to gain perspective on the iOS competitor.

I'm getting one, but I like to play with everything. I have an ultrabook and a MBA and I'm tempted to sell the ultrabook for a Surface Pro when it comes out :-D

blackhand1001
Jul 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Looking into getting one for my birthday, but would much prefer to have a 7" Apple Tablet then the Nexus since I love iOS and how stable/safe it is. We can only hope, a 7" iPad would be absolutely beautiful for my needs.

The nexus devices are just as stable as apple devices. Jellybean is quite a bit ahead of iOS. I much prefer using my galaxy nexus over my ipad 2 and have ordered a nexus 7 16gb.

APlotdevice
Jul 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
Well I'm considering buying one for my mother.

spiderman0616
Jul 3, 2012, 12:05 PM

When you're talking Gizmodo and Android stuff, it's never going to be unbiased. They hate Apple.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 3, 2012, 12:42 PM
I'll buy one but just to play with it. Its not really a serious tablet like the iPad.

WeegieMac
Jul 3, 2012, 12:57 PM
The Nexus 7, a tablet that Google are making a massive loss per unit in a desperate bid to put it into people's hands at just $200. As opposed to the iPad which people want and are willing to drop up to 649 on (depending on model). Google, by taking the hit per unit, are essentially paying you to buy one.

brentsg
Jul 3, 2012, 12:59 PM
I'll pick one up for $200, just as a curiosity.

kaydot
Jul 3, 2012, 01:52 PM
The Nexus 7, a tablet that Google are making a massive loss per unit in a desperate bid to put it into people's hands at just $200. As opposed to the iPad which people want and are willing to drop up to 649 on (depending on model). Google, by taking the hit per unit, are essentially paying you to buy one.

Do you have a source for this information? The articles I have read is that it is the 8gb version should be very close to cost and the 16gb version should have a slim profit.

The "taking a hit per unit" business model sounds very similar to American cell phone plans and videogame console makers such as Microsoft and Sony.

But more importantly... Do you own an iPad and if so, are you planning on getting a Nexus 7?

WeegieMac
Jul 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
Do you have a source for this information? The articles I have read is that it is the 8gb version should be very close to cost and the 16gb version should have a slim profit.

The "taking a hit per unit" business model sounds very similar to American cell phone plans and videogame console makers such as Microsoft and Sony.

But more importantly... Do you own an iPad and if so, are you planning on getting a Nexus 7?

Cult of Mac in their latest podcast mentioned it, as John Brownlee was at Google I/O.

And I just spend 649 on a 64GB new iPad WiFi and Cellular, have over 500 worth of apps since getting my first iPhone in 2008. So no, I have desire to buy a Nexus (what happened to the first 6) 7.

Lindenhurst
Jul 3, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'll buy one but just to play with it. Its not really a serious tablet like the iPad.

Not sure I understand.please explain.

Sensamic
Jul 3, 2012, 06:14 PM
Not sure I understand.please explain.

It IS a serious tablet, since it can do MORE than the iPad: file system, manage every file type (zip, rar, etc), no need for video conversion, download stuff from the web, widgets, change ROMS to add more functionality, bluetooth (REAL bluetooth), NFC, better Google Maps and Gmail and YouTube, voice search and offline voice typing, Google Now, better notifications, quad core, etc.

And he says its not a serious contender.............. Sure dude. Sure...

It can do MORE.

Oh, I also forgot... real USB and not Apples proprietary pin.

Rodster
Jul 3, 2012, 06:38 PM

While it's a real mini USB you still can't hookup a flash thumb drive to it, to expand it's storage. It does have nice specs but i'll wait for the Nexus 10. :D

Sensamic
Jul 3, 2012, 06:52 PM
While it's a real mini USB you still can't hookup a flash thumb drive to it, to expand it's storage. It does have nice specs but i'll wait for the Nexus 10. :D

Yes you can, but with an adapter. I saw a video of this with a Galaxy Note. They guy connected his pendrive to the phone with an adapter and used a file explorer to play videos and watch PDFS.

digiphantom
Jul 3, 2012, 07:50 PM
I'm an iPhone 4 and iPad 3 owner with a Macbook Air. I think the Nexus 7 looks great a preordered the 16 GB one. Android is starting to shape up and I had a chance to check out a friend's Galaxy Nexus.

My iPad will still be my main tablet. The Nexus 7 is for me to play with Android and load with videos when on the treadmill. Originally I was considering a new Android phone if the iPhone 5 specs don't pan out, but I think I kind of locked myself in Apple's ecosystem...

It would have been sweet if the Nexus 7 had a SIM slot for me to put my iPad's data SIM in for a 7 in. navigation.

PPFee
Jul 3, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yes you can, but with an adapter. I saw a video of this with a Galaxy Note. They guy connected his pendrive to the phone with an adapter and used a file explorer to play videos and watch PDFS.

No,actually you can not, this has been confirmed, it does not support MHL so no video out and although it supports some uses of USB OTG its 100 percent confirmed it does not work with External Storage regardless of what adapter you use and regardless of what you saw with the galaxy note. No offense but its ignorant and uncalled for to mislead people which is what you did by assuming this to be a fact because of something else you saw. Im not trying to flame you ive just seen many ppl stressing over this exact issue and its being exacerbated by ppl throwing out their faulty assumptions. This is not a galaxy note, what the galaxy note can and cant do has no bearing on the hardware capabilities of a ASUS product.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
It IS a serious tablet, since it can do MORE than the iPad: file system, manage every file type (zip, rar, etc), no need for video conversion, download stuff from the web, widgets, change ROMS to add more functionality, bluetooth (REAL bluetooth), NFC, better Google Maps and Gmail and YouTube, voice search and offline voice typing, Google Now, better notifications, quad core, etc.

And he says its not a serious contender.............. Sure dude. Sure...

It can do MORE.

I bolded the important part of your post. It CAN do MORE, but it won't. It will barely be a footnote in 8-12 months. It won't have any serious impact on the marketplace, nor will it hold even 1/20th the market share of even the iPad 1. Its not a serious device. Its a gadget, its got some cool hardware features that will never be exploited, nor leveraged, nor amount to anything worthwhile. As a media consumption device for $200, its a neat toy. Get it for that reason and that reason only because otherwise, its just "another Android device" that will clutter up the Android hardware scene. Nothing special.

We develop software for both Android and iOS devices. Just like every Android device that came before it, and every Android device that will come after it, its not a serious contender for serious software developers and, as such, all the hardware improvements in the world won't save it.

Having a standard USB cable means nothing if it doesn't run the cutting edge software that you want it to. Software makes the hardware, not better specs. Anyone who is more than your passing gadget fan would understand this. Thus my comment that it's not a serious platform.

And trust me.....I'm far from alone in feeling this way. Hardly anyone is developing for the Android platform as their OS of choice. The news is filled with dev houses just like mine. I may occupy a "niche" app, but its useless developing for a single Android device and the entire OS platform is so bloody fragmented as to put any hardcore developer into a situation of having to code for the least common denominator (which means old Android versions), so what you are left with is a cool hardware device with lots of cool features that will be absolutely ignored by 99.99% of the software devs left programming for the device.

Like I said...I'll buy one to PLAY with. That's all you'll be doing with it as well. Nothing wrong with that, but serious apps and serious developers will stick with iOS if they want to succeed.

This is what developing for Android looks like. (http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/11/this-is-what-developing-for-android-looks-like/)

And to further prove my point, after almost a year, ICS is only running on about 10% of the installed base of Android devices. (http://www.businessinsider.com/android-ice-cream-sandwich-distribution-2012-7)

Anyone that invests serious time and energy into thinking that Android will ever threaten the iPad for tablet dominance is a fool.

calvol
Jul 3, 2012, 10:51 PM
I tried two 7" Android tablets and didn't like them-- Lenovo A1 with Android 2.2, and Samsung Tab with Android 3.0. The A1 was a dog, Skype images were inverted. The Tab was better with dual-core, but sometimes nothing happened when an icon was pushed. Neither O/S seemed as intuitive as iOS. I'm waiting till this fall to choose between the next iPad and the MS Surface, probably will be an iPad since I have an Air.

number84
Jul 4, 2012, 02:19 AM
It would have been sweet if the Nexus 7 had a SIM slot for me to put my iPad's data SIM in for a 7 in. navigation.

You don't necessarily need a data SIM for navigation. Isn't google rolling out offline maps for navigation? Otherwise you can buy a 3rd party splution with downloadable maps. It definitely has a GPS chip in it as per the specs.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 4, 2012, 02:27 AM
I'm a sucker for new gadgets. Love my iPad, love my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I'm sure I'm going to love my preordered Nexus 7 when it comes in stock.

Only thing that sucks is they're Wi-Fi only.

BrerSam
Jul 4, 2012, 11:51 AM
Im thinking of getting the iPad 3 soon but the price tag and small size is making me consider the Nexus, I'm not sure the size will be too small for me though to enjoy.

Also does anybody know the differences between the two's front camera as I'm looking to use it for Skype a lot?

nishishei
Jul 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
I bolded the important part of your post. It CAN do MORE, but it won't. It will barely be a footnote in 8-12 months. It won't have any serious impact on the marketplace, nor will it hold even 1/20th the market share of even the iPad 1. Its not a serious device. Its a gadget, its got some cool hardware features that will never be exploited, nor leveraged, nor amount to anything worthwhile. As a media consumption device for $200, its a neat toy. Get it for that reason and that reason only because otherwise, its just "another Android device" that will clutter up the Android hardware scene. Nothing special.

Anyone that invests serious time and energy into thinking that Android will ever threaten the iPad for tablet dominance is a fool.

Dude, calm down. It's okay, it's a big world out there. And most consumers use their iPads as media consumption toys as well.

I'm a physician, the iPad doesn't fit in my white coat, so we have to carry a strap-bag with it. PITA to be honest. But a 7" and 60% of the weight would easily fit and be perfect. Get it? There's plenty of demand for non-iPads out there.

Peanut207
Jul 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
Not having 4G LTE is a big omission IMO. Yes it's very portable (even more so than the iPad) but not being able to be connected outside the house seems to kind of defeat the purpose, and for the house i would rather use my larger iPad display. Yes a lot of places have wifi available but most places don't. Just seems to me that 4G LTE should have been a given for such a portable device.

Piggie
Jul 4, 2012, 01:10 PM
Not having 4G LTE is a big omission IMO. Yes it's very portable (even more so than the iPad) but not being able to be connected outside the house seems to kind of defeat the purpose, and for the house i would rather use my larger iPad display. Yes a lot of places have wifi available but most places don't. Just seems to me that 4G LTE should have been a given for such a portable device.

And how much extra do you think Google should charge for a 4G Nexus7 ?

Remember, Apple will charge you an unbelievable $130 dollars just for it.

Seeing as the whole device is only $199, you think they should charge the same as Apple?

Peanut207
Jul 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
And how much extra do you think Google should charge for a 4G Nexus7 ?

Remember, Apple will charge you an unbelievable $130 dollars just for it.

Seeing as the whole device is only $199, you think they should charge the same as Apple?

The great thing with the iPad is that you have a choice if you want to pay extra for 4G LTE capabilities. I chose to buy the 4G iPad (which is lightning fast on AT&T) and I love the fact that I can take it anywhere with me and be connected when need be. I think their are plenty of people willing to pay the extra cost to have 4G especially if it is going to be their portable device.*

Buildbright
Jul 6, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yes it does rotate to landscape.

Image (http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168830&d=1341136086)

Thats with a thirdparty hack with an app called Ultimate rotation. I have not used it so I am not sure how to effects the device as a whole. Google wants you to use it mostly in protrait view. Funny how people say Android is so open and flexible comparied to iOS.

How will you have WiFi in the car?

You plan on tethering it to something for data? Also I think it's aGPS so it may not be too accurate without data to assist the built-in gps.

If I need to I will tether to my phone but the GPS is not aGPS. I have a friend who uses a old droid for navigation. He uses wifi at his house or where he is at to get the directions off google maps and then drives off. It still works "offline"

APlotdevice
Jul 6, 2012, 05:35 PM

It is a common misconception that aGPS is less accurate than "regular" GPS. The "a" stands for "assisted", and refers to the use of cellular towers to more quickly achieve the initial lock on with the GPS satellites. Without this feature it can take more than 30 seconds, and in some cases several minutes, for GPS to figure out where it is. After lock on has been achieved either system is just as accurate.

PrayForDeath
Jul 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
I might consider it if I didn't have a new iPad already. It's a great deal for $199.

Benson11
Jul 6, 2012, 06:14 PM
I want to buy it. The 16gb thing I have not problem with. I doubt Im going to use it all up. The reviews have been looking good too.

doboy
Jul 6, 2012, 06:19 PM
If I need to I will tether to my phone but the GPS is not aGPS. I have a friend who uses a old droid for navigation. He uses wifi at his house or where he is at to get the directions off google maps and then drives off. It still works "offline"

I'm certain that it is aGPS, but it can be quite accurate with use with WiFi. I assume his "old droid" is a phone so even if it's no longer active, you can still use the cellular antenna to assist the aGPS for accuracy. However, afaik you can't use google maps offline mode for navigation. You'll still see the map, but no turn by turn without cellular data.

----------

It is a common misconception that aGPS is less accurate than "regular" GPS. The "a" stands for "assisted", and refers to the use of cellular towers to more quickly achieve the initial lock on with the GPS satellites. Without this feature it can take more than 30 seconds, and in some cases several minutes, for GPS to figure out where it is. After lock on has been achieved either system is just as accurate.

From my experience, it takes too long and not as accurate. YMMV.

Buildbright
Jul 7, 2012, 12:35 AM
I'm certain that it is aGPS, but it can be quite accurate with use with WiFi. I assume his "old droid" is a phone so even if it's no longer active, you can still use the cellular antenna to assist the aGPS for accuracy. However, afaik you can't use google maps offline mode for navigation. You'll still see the map, but no turn by turn without cellular data.

----------

If you you see all the links the GPS is not assisted to is a "true gps"

Scroll to step 16 and you will see the model number.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/1

Gps model specs.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions/BCM4751

Current Models
http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions

Eadfrith
Jul 7, 2012, 02:50 AM
Not such a good deal for those in the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9379083/Google-Nexus-7-tablet-to-be-introduced-without-film-purchases-or-music-service.html

Google has confirmed its new tablet, the Nexus 7, will be introduced in Britain without access to music and magazines and will only offer movie film rentals rather than purchases.

Piggie
Jul 7, 2012, 06:35 AM

We develop software for both Android and iOS devices. Just like every Android device that came before it, and every Android device that will come after it, its not a serious contender for serious software developers and, as such, all the hardware improvements in the world won't save it.

I'm interested, what are your companies plans for Windows8 tablets with the new Metro U ?

Are you planning on having a big push to develop for this upcoming platform due to the obvious massive username not only for the tablet but also laptop and desktop under the Metro interface.

Given ths is. Only a few months away now, are you going to be wanting to offer your current apps on this new platform as soon as possible to give you a presence on this new system with Microsoft behind it?

Puevlo
Jul 7, 2012, 07:01 AM
What happened to 1 through 6?

Night Spring
Jul 7, 2012, 08:18 AM

The 7 refers to the size, 7 inches, not that it comes after 1-6.

Piggie
Jul 7, 2012, 08:20 AM

Go on think about it for a second..................................

They did not make a 1" or a 2" or a 3" etc tablet.

It's a 7" tablet, so it's called the Nexus 7

See simple really :D

Rodster
Jul 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
So next years version should be called the Nexus 7 2 :D

ougum
Jul 7, 2012, 09:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

Not every carrier offers tethering options on their smartphone plans, or they price it so high that a separate data plan for your tablet is actually more economical. And what odd occasion? I use cellular data on my iPad almost every time I leave my house. Also, currently I have an iPhone because my employer is paying the phone bill. If not, I would just get a dumb phone and just have my iPad. And then there's the matter of battery -- I haven't tethered myself, but I've seen reports of people saying tethering drains their smartphone battery rather fast. In that case people might not want to depend on their smartphone to supply the data connection for their tablet.

I tether to my iPhone 4s quite a bit and it doesn't drain my battery very much. My iPad 2 was 3g but data plan was too expensive compared to tethering. I also use my iPhone to tether to my laptop with the same low battery drain results.

PPFee
Jul 7, 2012, 09:30 AM

----------

From my experience, it takes too long and not as accurate. YMMV.

In what sense are you certain and of what definition of aGPS do you refer? Im not challenging you here just making clarifications. It doesnt require any use of wifi and is just as accurate, the time it takes to get a fix can be slightly longer but is only really noticable for instance if theres a heavy cloud cover or other obstruction. You have to have a proper GPS to take advantage of the GPS functionality, Google maps doesnt do offline maps, at least in its current release version although they did announce that they are rolling that out soon. The point is yes it not only works but it is just as accurate.

doboy
Jul 7, 2012, 01:04 PM
If you you see all the links the GPS is not assisted to is a "true gps"

Scroll to step 16 and you will see the model number.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-7-Teardown/9623/1

Gps model specs.
http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions/BCM4751

Current Models
http://www.broadcom.com/products/GPS/GPS-Silicon-Solutions

In that post I was referring to the "old droid." If the Nexus 7 has a true GPS then that's great. Although without some sort of data you can't get turn by turn with google maps.

In what sense are you certain and of what definition of aGPS do you refer? Im not challenging you here just making clarifications. It doesnt require any use of wifi and is just as accurate, the time it takes to get a fix can be slightly longer but is only really noticable for instance if theres a heavy cloud cover or other obstruction. You have to have a proper GPS to take advantage of the GPS functionality, Google maps doesnt do offline maps, at least in its current release version although they did announce that they are rolling that out soon. The point is yes it not only works but it is just as accurate.

See my above reply. I usually don't have a good experience with aGPS without some sort of cellular data. Maybe that's just my region where I live and with devices that I own. Google maps does do offline btw.