PDA

View Full Version : Apple Reminds Users of iWork.com Discontinuation on July 31

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/02/apple-reminds-users-of-iwork-com-discontinuation-on-july-31/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/iwork_com_ends-150x177.jpg

Following this weekend's shutdown of MobileMe (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/01/apple-shuts-down-mobileme-data-available-for-limited-time/) in favor of iCloud, Apple today sent out an email to users of its beta iWork.com service reminding them that it too will be discontinued on July 31 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/09/apple-shutting-down-iwork-com-amid-transition-to-icloud/).Dear iWork.com user,

Remember, as of July 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to access your documents on the iWork.com site or view them on the web.

We recommend that you sign in to iWork.com before July 31, 2012, and download all your documents to your computer. For detailed instructions on how to save a copy of your documents on your computer, read this support article at Apple.com (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5042).

Moving forward, you can use iCloud to store your documents and make them available across your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Learn more about iCloud (http://www.apple.com/icloud/).

Sincerely,
The iWork teamiWork.com launched as a free beta in January 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/01/06/apple-releases-iwork-09/), with Apple intending to eventually offer the service with tools for collaboration on iWork documents for a fee. The service never exited beta, however, and with iCloud offering new options for moving documents around the company has decided to eliminate the program.

While iCloud does not replicate all of the features of iWork.com, Apple continues to expand the functionality of iCloud, with the next round of improvements coming with OS X Mountain Lion later this month and iOS 6 this fall.

Article Link: Apple Reminds Users of iWork.com Discontinuation on July 31 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/02/apple-reminds-users-of-iwork-com-discontinuation-on-july-31/)

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 11:12 AM
So it looks like a new version of iWork apps coming by July 31st.

Mr. Gates
Jul 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't trust Apple with any online service. Not even iCloud. How long until they shut that down? If I were you people, I would migrate to Microsoft office 360 online. It's not going anywhere. And it's a superior choice. Also sky drive and many other services that are just simply superior to anything that Apple offers.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
Jul 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
And in 29 days people will still be bitching about not having enough time to get their files.

jav6454
Jul 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't trust Apple with any online service. Not even iCloud. How long until they shut that down? If I were you people, I would migrate to Microsoft office 360 online. It's not going anywhere. And it's a superior choice. Also sky drive and many other services that are just simply superior to anything that Apple offers.

No thank you. I'll stick to Dropbox and others. Can't go wrong with 10GB (after referrals and era program, not to mention the hunt game)

arian19
Jul 2, 2012, 11:23 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Apple didn't have any more space on there hard drives? I think they are trying to free up space.

Mr. Gates
Jul 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
No thank you. I'll stick to Dropbox and others. Can't go wrong with 10GB (after referrals and era program, not to mention the hunt game)

Dropbox is good too but if its space you want, you get 25 GB with Skydrive and you don't have to do all the referrals to get it.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 2, 2012, 11:27 AM

It just goes to show you why Apple is not an enterprise grade company. They are a consumer grade company and yes they make great products but they do not make enterprise grade products at all.

thelink
Jul 2, 2012, 11:28 AM
Another apple service to be shut down?!? Ehhhh... I never used it anyways.

clukas
Jul 2, 2012, 11:29 AM

oh I hope this materialises.

Stetrain
Jul 2, 2012, 11:31 AM

You mean like they shut down Windows Marketplace and Digital Locker? Anyone who had purchased Microsoft software through that online system, with the promise that you could download and install from within Windows any time in the future, had to make backup copies and save all the product keys because they shut it down.

thelink
Jul 2, 2012, 11:34 AM
You mean like they shut down Windows Marketplace and Digital Locker? Anyone who had purchased Microsoft software through that online system, with the promise that you could download and install from within Windows any time in the future, had to make backup copies and save all the product keys because they shut it down.

^Lol^

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 2, 2012, 11:35 AM

I wish.

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 11:39 AM
oh I hope this materialises.

I wish.

Well this is going to look pretty weird and silly come July 31st. Unless Numbers is updated.

jav6454
Jul 2, 2012, 11:43 AM
Dropbox is good too but if its space you want, you get 25 GB with Skydrive and you don't have to do all the referrals to get it.

Skydrive is dead. It was joined with Windows Live Mesh. So now both services are one and only offer 5GB. So much for Skydrive.

Mr. Gates
Jul 2, 2012, 11:44 AM

That's totally different. You're comparing an online store to online services like storage and office collaboration.

Mike Oxard
Jul 2, 2012, 11:45 AM
Was there any mention of document collaboration or sharing in ML at WWDC? If there isn't any then they are removing functionality when they kill iWork.com.

Nungster
Jul 2, 2012, 11:47 AM
Another apple service to be shut down?!? Ehhhh... I never used it anyways.

It is not really a shutdown but more of a consolidation and evolution of cloud solutions.

rmwebs
Jul 2, 2012, 11:54 AM
Well that was a waste of money!

I really hope that Apple get a handle on their 'online services' with iCloud. So far every single online service they have launched has bummed within a couple of years and died. Mostly due to reliability issues and Apple's "Lets limit the crap out of this" attitude.

iCloud will hit the same fate in a couple of years if they dont sort out a few key things. At the moment its nothing more than a glorified syncing system with the old Mobile Me email webapp slapped on the side. In essence its still MobileMe, with 2 changes (the removal of the photo/disk storage and the addition of syncing).

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 2, 2012, 11:55 AM
What's this say of Apple's other betas?

Will Siri simply be shut down 3.5 years after it launches... so ~March 2015?

benwiggy
Jul 2, 2012, 11:55 AM
Moving forward, you can use iCloud to store your documents and make them available across your computer and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
What? iCloud only works if you're moving forward? :eek: What happens to my documents if I sit down?

Or perhaps they mean "from now on", or some other phrase that's not both an abstracted metaphor and a hanging participle?

(Sorry, Grammar OCD.)

WardC
Jul 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
Apple is discontinuing development of the iWork suite, dropping support for iWork, and thus rendering the programs useless as of July 31st!? I can't believe this! I use iWork all the time and thought Apple had something good going with these programs. Guess they want to switch everyone to Microsoft Office.

So long iWork, it was good while it lasted.

Anyways I liked ClarisWorks a lot more ;-)

ayala421
Jul 2, 2012, 12:03 PM
OK...we get it apple. ;)

bertman
Jul 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Apple didn't have any more space on there hard drives?

No.

Just corrallin' everyone into the same pen.

Mr. Gates
Jul 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
Skydrive is dead. It was joined with Windows Live Mesh. So now both services are one and only offer 5GB. So much for Skydrive.

That's not true.

Not Dead.

Google Skydrive

Thunderhawks
Jul 2, 2012, 12:26 PM

Dropbox FTW.

I'll eventually even pay for it:-)

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
Apple is discontinuing development of the iWork suite, dropping support for iWork, and thus rendering the programs useless as of July 31st!? I can't believe this! I use iWork all the time and thought Apple had something good going with these programs. Guess they want to switch everyone to Microsoft Office.

So long iWork, it was good while it lasted.

Anyways I liked ClarisWorks a lot more ;-)

Where did you come up with this at ?

NAG
Jul 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
What's this say of Apple's other betas?

Will Siri simply be shut down 3.5 years after it launches... so ~March 2015?

Man, I remember those iWork.com ads with Justin Bieber. They sold so many copies of iWork.

Flitzy
Jul 2, 2012, 12:53 PM
I had just started using iWork.com about two months before the announcement.

I hope that iCloud has some way to share with non-iCloud users, as I enjoyed that feature. I could upload my work, share it out to my friends, and be done with it. It was nice for getting feedback on my writing.

Hopefully they pull in all the functionality! I know I could just simply e-mail it but it's not the same as having it all done in one step.

(Honestly, I wish we could share calendars and such with non-iCloud users, too)

efrank772
Jul 2, 2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not really happy with Apple now. I usually love and agree with most of Apple's decisions, but the MobilleMe stuff and now this are kind of getting on my nerves. iCloud doesn't really work in a school environment considering that most school computers don't run updated software and tend to have tons of restrictions that disable this kind of stuff. I like Apple because they provide end to end services for the customer, but I feel like with this they are forcing us to move to Dropbox or Skydrive.

URFloorMatt
Jul 2, 2012, 01:04 PM
So it looks like a new version of iWork apps coming by July 31st.Given that the current suite is not really Retina compatible (it technically is, but it's effectively crippled by bugs when you try to run it in high resolution), I sure hope so.

WardC
Jul 2, 2012, 01:11 PM

The story was about "iWork discontinuation" -- of course!?!

newagemac
Jul 2, 2012, 01:23 PM

This post is full of FAIL. Microsoft just recently shut down Microsoft Office Live Small Business (OLSB) a couple of months ago leaving many business owners scrambling to find a replacement for hosting their business websites and email.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/254755/microsofts_office_live_small_business_closing_today.html

This is from the article:

Many OLSB customers are still posting questions and reporting problems related to the migration in discussion forums, social media sites and blogs, as the clock ticks.

It's unclear how many OLSB customers remain oblivious to the suite's impending shutdown. OLSB is used primarily for email communications and website hosting.

Microsoft still plans to start dismantling OLSB after midnight U.S. Pacific Time on Tuesday, when it will start taking down OLSB-hosted websites, a Microsoft spokeswoman confirmed.

Peace
Jul 2, 2012, 01:25 PM

No. The story is about iWork.com beta not the software.

Pakaku
Jul 2, 2012, 01:32 PM
I just wish they'd hurry up and make the desktop version of Pages sync with the iOS version :\

I thought iCloud was supposed to sync everything across all devices, without forcing you to download it from a website just to continue from your laptop...

stiligFox
Jul 2, 2012, 01:36 PM
I just wish they'd hurry up and make the desktop version of Pages sync with the iOS version :\

I thought iCloud was supposed to sync everything across all devices, without forcing you to download it from a website just to continue from your laptop...

It will once Mountain Lion is released; ML has the APIs in it that allow apps to store data on iCloud. They've demoed Pages working between devices, we just have to wait for ML and a Pages update, one which will prolly also bring Retina support and drop the iWork.com export option.

bigpics
Jul 2, 2012, 02:00 PM
Everybody's moving on
And having fun
I was a fool for hanging here
And having none
I can't get over how Apple cut me free,
Oh lonesome me

There must be some way
That I can lose these digi-blues
Forget about my service past and
Find something old but new
I've thought of everything from "i" to Z
Oh lonesome me

I'll bet Cupertino's not like me
She's out and fancy free
Flirting with the fanbois with all her cloudish charms
But I still love her so, and brother
Don't you know it, I'd welcome MobileMe
Right back into my arms

[adapted from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/n/neil_young/oh_lonesome_me.html ]

Bubba Satori
Jul 2, 2012, 02:24 PM
It is not really a shutdown but more of a consolidation and evolution of cloud solutions.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.

http://www.fatpickled.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/JohnLovitz.jpg

Nunyabinez
Jul 2, 2012, 02:26 PM
I don't understand why this is a big surprise for anyone. Apple said they were going to do this long ago. iCloud is (eventually) going to be a great solution, and I have been very happy with it so far for the most part.

I have some concerns with iWork because it is is likely going to be using the iOS philosophy, which is that Apps own documents and store them all together. The only way to deal with a document is via its application. For many apps this makes perfect sense. But when I'm working on a project, I may have spreadsheets, pdfs, pages documents, etc. that I would like to keep together. Sometimes, I don't remember what kind of a document it is that I am looking for. If I have to open every app to find the document I'm looking for, I will not be happy.

I want to give a plug for sugarsync. It is superior to everything in my opinion, because I don't have to use a special folder, I just tell it which folders to sync.

And on the Skydrive thing, Sky drive and LiveMesh were consolidated. If you were a beta user (I was) they gifted you 25 GB. If you just sign up for a new account you only get 5 GB free.

BigMcGuire
Jul 2, 2012, 02:43 PM
I don't understand why this is a big surprise for anyone. Apple said they were going to do this long ago. iCloud is (eventually) going to be a great solution, and I have been very happy with it so far for the most part.

I have some concerns with iWork because it is is likely going to be using the iOS philosophy, which is that Apps own documents and store them all together. The only way to deal with a document is via its application. For many apps this makes perfect sense. But when I'm working on a project, I may have spreadsheets, pdfs, pages documents, etc. that I would like to keep together. Sometimes, I don't remember what kind of a document it is that I am looking for. If I have to open every app to find the document I'm looking for, I will not be happy.

I want to give a plug for sugarsync. It is superior to everything in my opinion, because I don't have to use a special folder, I just tell it which folders to sync.

And on the Skydrive thing, Sky drive and LiveMesh were consolidated. If you were a beta user (I was) they gifted you 25 GB. If you just sign up for a new account you only get 5 GB free.

Vote this post up. ^^

SugarSync - I used it for years until Google Drive came out. Then, I stupidly hopped ship for Google Drive. What a beta crappy product that was... the PC and MAC apps both using 5% cpu idle, and 100% cpu just to check if files changed. Took hours for a file that I changed on my laptop to show on my desktop... What's up with these companies putting out crap? Dropbox, SugarSync, JungleDisk (dinosaur age/abandoned), are all years ahead of iCloud and Google Drive.

I prefer Dropbox for the simplicity and the "it just works" motto. I went from Google Drive to Dropbox recently and am pretty happy about it. Sugarsync is a win if you need super duper functionality and features - also pretty good pricing for storage (up to 500GB). Both Dropbox and SugarSync use Amazon servers so they're comparable.

iCloud and Google Drive? WTF you two. Really disappointed because both companies have had a LOT of time to come out with these "clouds."

mazurka
Jul 2, 2012, 02:49 PM
What? iCloud only works if you're moving forward? :eek: What happens to my documents if I sit down?

Or perhaps they mean "from now on", or some other phrase that's not both an abstracted metaphor and a hanging participle?

(Sorry, Grammar OCD.)

Nobody, but NOBODY in Apple would have been allowed to use a lame, clichéd marketing phrase like "moving forward" when Steve Jobs was around. Not even in an email to customers. Hey, ESPECIALLY not in an email to customers.

----------

Vote this post up. ^^

SugarSync - I used it for years until Google Drive came out. Then, I stupidly hopped ship for Google Drive. What a beta crappy product that was... the PC and MAC apps both using 5% cpu idle, and 100% cpu just to check if files changed. Took hours for a file that I changed on my laptop to show on my desktop... What's up with these companies putting out crap? Dropbox, SugarSync, JungleDisk (dinosaur age/abandoned), are all years ahead of iCloud and Google Drive.

I prefer Dropbox for the simplicity and the "it just works" motto. I went from Google Drive to Dropbox recently and am pretty happy about it. Sugarsync is a win if you need super duper functionality and features - also pretty good pricing for storage (up to 500GB). Both Dropbox and SugarSync use Amazon servers so they're comparable.

iCloud and Google Drive? WTF you two. Really disappointed because both companies have had a LOT of time to come out with these "clouds."

Anyone got a solution to the disappearance of Gallery? I need a programme where I can upload highres images with captions so that clients can view and download them from one page. Flickr is, well, just OK. Is there anything classier out there?

CmdrLaForge
Jul 2, 2012, 02:50 PM
Right now I cannot move Pages or Numbers docs through iCloud from Mac to iPad apps, right? Seems to be about time now.

BigMcGuire
Jul 2, 2012, 02:57 PM
Anyone got a solution to the disappearance of Gallery? I need a programme where I can upload highres images with captions so that clients can view and download them from one page. Flickr is, well, just OK. Is there anything classier out there?

I'm looking for the same exact thing. Flickr hasn't changed much and the way Yahoo! is going, we'll probably see Flickr shutting down in the next few years. Lot of people hate Photobucket and I don't like Google Picasa after it was integrated into Google +.

Doctor Q
Jul 2, 2012, 03:19 PM
iCloud doesn't really work in a school environment considering that most school computers don't run updated software and tend to have tons of restrictions that disable this kind of stuff. I like Apple because they provide end to end services for the customer, but I feel like with this they are forcing us to move to Dropbox or Skydrive.
The irresistible force (the general migration toward cloud services, which Apple is both following and leading) is hitting the immovable object (schools technology and policies that don't keep up). Schools will have to change, and gradually they will.

WardC
Jul 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
I really do wish Apple would code a version of AppleWorks for intel. AppleWorks was PowerPC-only, which compatibility was discontinued in Lion with Apple dropping Rosetta from Lion. Can't run AppleWorks under Lion.

What was great about AppleWorks was it's simplicity as a Word Processor. I found it much less bloated and much easier to use than Microsoft Word ever has been. Pages simply is not a replacement for AppleWorks, Pages is more of a page-layout Application, not a Word Processor.

Really hoping Apple will bring back AppleWorks.

noisycats
Jul 2, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nobody, but NOBODY in Apple would have been allowed to use a lame, clichéd marketing phrase like "moving forward" when Steve Jobs was around. Not even in an email to customers. Hey, ESPECIALLY not in an email to customers.

----------

Long story short, smugmug and zenfolio come the closest with "classy" presentations and iPhoto plug-ins. Not sure if still applicable, but upload junction would perform seamless transfers from mobileme to zenfolio with minimal intervention (at least up until two days ago).

Both smugmug and zenfolio cost money, but as a mobileme user, that was nothing new.

Dominicanyor
Jul 2, 2012, 04:18 PM
What is iWork??

rcappo
Jul 2, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'm still waiting on them to upgrade iWork '09... At least just change the name.

MOFS
Jul 2, 2012, 04:36 PM
Right now I cannot move Pages or Numbers docs through iCloud from Mac to iPad apps, right? Seems to be about time now.

You can certainly send then from your iPad to your Mac (via iTunes) - it would be daft for it to be one way only.

Over The Hill
Jul 2, 2012, 04:57 PM
That's totally different. You're comparing an online store to online services like storage and office collaboration.

Nice rationalisation.

techpr
Jul 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that Apple didn't have any more space on there hard drives? I think they are trying to free up space.

No enough Disk space here?

pubwvj
Jul 2, 2012, 05:56 PM
Apple's pattern of discontinuing support makes them less trustworthy. I have real work to do. I can't be dependent on them because I can't trust that they'll continue support in the future for software necessary to access my data. Bad Apples.

steveh
Jul 2, 2012, 06:26 PM

iWork.com, not iWork.

Clean your spectacles.

----------

Zenfolio might work for you.

ixodes
Jul 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
After exhausting my patience with various issues using MobileMe over a two year period, I hoped that Apple had learned, and that iCloud would be an improvement...but I was not counting on it.

Lucky me, I'm so glad I anticipated this failure, and moved what I want out of MobileMe and into Dropbox, Evernote, and Google.

Seems Apple is either going backwards, or simply have such a skewed view of what can be done, they've run off the rails when it comes to the cloud.

Yet that said, millions will love it because it's got the fruity logo. It's perfect for them... :eek:

mabhatter
Jul 2, 2012, 07:16 PM

I think that nails it. Apple wants to do what others aren't. The main features of MobileMe were iDisk and iWeb. Really, the only people that really benefited were small businesses... Photographers, etc that just needed a small place to stake out. "People" are using Facebook, Flickr , Dropbox, gmail, etc... MobileMe was really a solution looking for a problem... Something to do in between .mac and what's next. Mobile Internet wasn't capable of doing what iCloud will do in the next few years.

In 2009, iWork.com was kind of a hedge that they could let Windows users into the Mac fold...Maybe leverage some iPhone users? Then iPad hit and nobody really cares about using iWork apps that doesn't already have multiple Apple devices (that have native apps).

Even with iCloud, the walled garden is thin. You sync calendar with yahoo or gmail, files with Dropbox, and passwords with 1password... All of one things are better simply because they are NOT walled gardens. Apple needs to embrace third party services and let them have native hooks.

Glassed Silver
Jul 2, 2012, 08:07 PM
Apple's pattern of discontinuing support makes them less trustworthy. I have real work to do. I can't be dependent on them because I can't trust that they'll continue support in the future for software necessary to access my data. Bad Apples.

The only cloud you can trust is the one you set up yourself, the big letdown: no fancy special apps, no awesome and widely used APIs etc...

tbh, this is one of the things I wish government stepped in.
Like creating a service, federal based and non-profit, to provide a cloud (not for sensitive stuff if you will) that you can use for a small fee, but with the guarantee to use for as long as you live + 10 years.

Won't happen :(

Back to setting up your server and being annoyed about why you can't get fancy 3rd party support.

I literally thought about setting up my own cloud and offer some space to friends who know I'll leave it up online and not "do the math" on their precious data and tell them I'd rather cut them off.
The only thing is that it's an intense commitment and responsibility you can never shake off.

Glassed Silver:mac

BigMcGuire
Jul 2, 2012, 08:31 PM
The only cloud you can trust is the one you set up yourself, the big letdown: no fancy special apps, no awesome and widely used APIs etc...

tbh, this is one of the things I wish government stepped in.
Like creating a service, federal based and non-profit, to provide a cloud (not for sensitive stuff if you will) that you can use for a small fee, but with the guarantee to use for as long as you live + 10 years.

Won't happen :(

I think most people would rather trust Google and Apple and Amazon (Dropbox/SugarSync/pretty much everything else) with their data than the U.S. Government. I know I'm one, lol.

tracked
Jul 3, 2012, 04:31 AM
downloaded all of my documents to my computer....................

doctor-don
Jul 3, 2012, 06:32 AM

It was found behind the at.

doctor-don
Jul 3, 2012, 06:43 AM
downloaded all of my documents to my computer....................

My documents are where they have always been, on my own computer and hard drives. When SSDs become reasonably priced for the common person, I'll use them instead of the hard drives.

alexkywalker
Jul 3, 2012, 10:58 AM
Seriously, who uses that crap anyway?

Glassed Silver
Jul 10, 2012, 01:08 AM
I think most people would rather trust Google and Apple and Amazon (Dropbox/SugarSync/pretty much everything else) with their data than the U.S. Government. I know I'm one, lol.

I meant files that go public either way.
Stuff you want to show.
Like a photobucket/imageshack/Youtube/etc replacement.
Just with the guarantee that it's hosted there for as long as YOU want.
So the link/embedding is trustable for future times.
This is especially important for those sending non-sensitive data via email, that just doesn't fit one email - yes, you could use Dropbox, but when those links don't work anymore and you need some old email's referenced files, you're SOL. (especially when your people are dumb as bread to not have a sufficient naming convention... I "love" getting "Archive.zip"s all the time :rolleyes:)

Glassed Silver:mac