Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_box-150x132.jpg

Late last year, Apple was fined $1.2 million by Italian regulators over warranty-related issues, with Apple being cited for not adequately disclosing standard two-year warranties required to be offered with new products sold in the country.

Following the ruling, Apple temporarily added disclosures to its Italian online store even as it was appealing the decision. Apple officially lost its appeal earlier this year, with the company being required to pay the previously-assessed fine.

Reuters now reports that Italian regulators remain concerned about Apple's sales and marketing tactics and are considering additional fines and an eventual temporary ban on Apple's ability to sell products in the country as further sanctions.
The AGCM said in its monthly bulletin that Apple was continuing to adopt unfair commercial practices in Italy and noted this could eventually lead to the closure of its Italian operations for up to 30 days.

The U.S. group has 30 days to respond.

The AGCM alleges that information provided by Apple about an extra guarantee scheme encourages customers to buy the service without clearly explaining that the company is obliged to offer a two-year free warranty, the source said.
Italy is not the only country where Apple is facing criticism over its warranty policies. Earlier this year, consumer groups in eleven European Union countries filed letters of complaint with their respective regulatory agencies asking them to take action against Apple's misleading warranty sales tactics in light of the EU's requirement for a standard two-year warranty. The company clarified the differences between EU protection and Apple's warranty policies, but concerns about its disclosures apparently still remain.

Update: Apple takes issue with the Italian antitrust authority, saying in a statement:
We have introduced a number of measures to address the Italian competition authority concerns and we disagree with their latest complaint.

Article Link: Apple Facing Potential Suspension of Italian Sales Amid Warranty Concerns

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It's good that they (the Italian regulators) are bringing this up because this is something many EU customers aren't aware of and end up unnecessarily buying Apple Care.
Apple is getting in trouble because customers can't read?
Because they aren't well informed enough.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Requiring 2 year warranties is stupid. It just raises prices for everyone. Let people choose if they want to pay for that extra 2 years of warranty instead of forcing them.

I agree. Ultimately, this is one of the reasons why some products cost [a lot] more in different countries.

Changed thoughts and disagree.

Last edited:

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Yea that one extra year warranty makes a lot of difference.

How do people usually arrive to the conclusion of whether they need the AppleCare? Do they just take the salespersons' word for it? Don't the packaging of the products themselves (Macs, iPods, etc.) already tell customers what the standard warranty policy is?

habubauza

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Let the shake downs begin! Tim Cook is not a fighter like Steve Jobs. He hates courts and prefers to settle. It is one of the worst positions to telegraph in an increasingly litigious and intellectual property contentious environment. You will see the scum of the scum trying to exploit Apple. The commies in China did it, with more to follow!

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
There are lots of people that don't watch any foreign movies because the subtitles are too fast. :eek::eek:I know many in the in the USA and Canada just like that.

You cannot imagine how boring and difficult it is to read for some people.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Bingo! It just means higher prices in the EU. Somebody has to pay for these warranties whether or not they are government-imposed. I say that Apple just raises the price by 10% across the board and gets really specific about what warranty comes with the product and what is included in AppleCare. The 10% hike in price should more than make up for the loss of AppleCare sales.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
It's good that they (the Italian regulators) are bringing this up because this is something many EU customers aren't aware of and end up unnecessarily buying Apple Care.

Because they aren't well informed enough.

NONSENSE. It's not APPLE'S job to inform the Italian public about standard Italian law. It's their government's job. What are they doing, aside from the whole underage scandal thing?

nsayer

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Seems easy enough for Apple to just play along. Offer a two year warranty, and clearly state it where necessary.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
NONSENSE. It's not APPLE'S job to inform the Italian public about standard Italian law. It's their government's job. What are they doing, aside from the whole underage scandal thing?

It's Apple (and whatever other company) job to inform in a right way and not to try to obscure the law term to sell extended guarantees.

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
I don't know how in Italy, but around me even every small child or elderly knows things have mandatory 2 years warranty. Also we are not stupid and can read.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Apple is getting in trouble because customers can't read?

Apple is getting in trouble because its executives can't read. The law.

----------

I think Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of Italy, including closing all of the iTunes, app and book stores.

I rather suspect it wouldn't be long before there was a new set of regulators overseeing that section of the Italian government.

How is that better than following the law like any other company and actually making a benefit to the consumer?

DWilliamson5002

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
Apple should just close up shop and leave Italy. Just say "You know what you win Italy, we just won't sell products in your country."

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Apple should just close up shop and leave Italy. Just say "You know what you win Italy, we just won't sell products in your country."

It is an EU directive, perhaps Apple should call their bluff and just pull out of all the EU

How is that better than following the law like any other company and actually making a benefit to the consumer?

In reality, they are joking, nobody can say something like that with a straight face

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.