Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
Hello folks,

THE PROBLEM:
I could be in an app and press the home button to go to home screen or another app and it won't respond. When I doubletap the home button it does not respond. Please note, if I am persistent it will do something.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
I reset everything and restored the last backup. After that I plugged my iPad to iTunes on my PC. The bar that says what is on the iPad was doing something weird. Everything was gone except for "other" being 9GB. So I sync'd it with my PC. But other stayed at 9G and only had 2G space left on a 32G iPad. (I went back and removed some music.) I don't remember what it was before but 9GB really seems high. Is this high? What's in there?

I thought "other" was rather large and thought perhaps I messed up the restore so I did another reset this time as a new ipad and not a restore at all. Still "other" is large. And I still have intermittent problem with the home button not responding.

KINDLE APP
It seems like ever since I downloaded a kindle book (or one of 3 that I downloaded) I've had this problem. Could it have to do with the Kindle App? I'm thinking of deleting the app but haven't done so at this point. What do you think?

Please advise as to what I can do about this. Thank you. And Thanks for listening.

Mindy :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
What iPad is it? My iPad 1 sometimes needs more than one press of the home button. Although it is not app specific, I think if it would make you feel better to delete the Kindle app and see if the problem persists then you can. I just don't think it has anything to do with the app.

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
What iPad is it? My iPad 1 sometimes needs more than one press of the home button. Although it is not app specific, I think if it would make you feel better to delete the Kindle app and see if the problem persists then you can. I just don't think it has anything to do with the app.

I have iPad 2 32GB 3G.

When you look in iTunes on your computer, how big is your "other"? Mine is 9GB. Should that be about right?

Thanks for your response.

Mindy

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Have you tried using the 'Assistive Touch' on screen HOME button?

via Settings -> Accessibility ->

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
Well, I have only 4.4 GB of video and 0.01 of audio (I stream). I have 1.15 gb of "other."

Check out this site: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/43763/how-do-i-reclaim-the-other-space-on-my-ipad

It may help you. But it is not home-button related.

I guess then I have two issues: 1) home button issue, and 2) the size of "other" being 9GB. I looked at that site above and looked at the data each of my apps are using, and it is not as significant as 9GB so don't know what is going on.

Thanks a bunch. :)

----------

Have you tried using the 'Assistive Touch' on screen HOME button?

via Settings -> Accessibility ->

I have just tried it! Wonderful! Thank you. :)

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
I guess then I have two issues: 1) home button issue, and 2) the size of "other" being 9GB. I looked at that site above and looked at the data each of my apps are using, and it is not as significant as 9GB so don't know what is going on.

These two issues are still unresolved. There is a workaround for the home button issue (accessability, etc.). But nothing has been resolved. Anybody?

TY,
Mindy

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
This is the same type of home button problem that crops on iPhones. It's one of the weaknesses of an old school mechanical button. Eventually they stop working and then you get a replacement if you're still in warranty, or you get to spend your own money if your not.

I had one replaced by Apple, and one that I had to buy. Oh well, Apple needs the money :)

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Get a can of compressed air and carefully clean around the home button while holding the iPad upside down. I had the same problem on my iPad3 and that fixed it.

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
Hope this may help:

Step 1: Open a stock app, like Weather or Stocks.

Step 2: Press and hold your power button until “slide to power off” appears and release.

Step 3: Press and hold your Home button until the “slide to power off” goes away, and the app force quits. Your iPhone’s Home button should now be more responsive, because it has been recalibrated.

It's common solution for the unresponsive Home button.

Here is a youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cujErKjh85o

Thank you for that. :)

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
Hello folks,

THE PROBLEM:
I could be in an app and press the home button to go to home screen or another app and it won't respond. When I doubletap the home button it does not respond. Please note, if I am persistent it will do something.

TROUBLESHOOTING:
I reset everything and restored the last backup. After that I plugged my iPad to iTunes on my PC. The bar that says what is on the iPad was doing something weird. Everything was gone except for "other" being 9GB. So I sync'd it with my PC. But other stayed at 9G and only had 2G space left on a 32G iPad. (I went back and removed some music.) I don't remember what it was before but 9GB really seems high. Is this high? What's in there?

I thought "other" was rather large and thought perhaps I messed up the restore so I did another reset this time as a new ipad and not a restore at all. Still "other" is large. And I still have intermittent problem with the home button not responding.

KINDLE APP
It seems like ever since I downloaded a kindle book (or one of 3 that I downloaded) I've had this problem. Could it have to do with the Kindle App? I'm thinking of deleting the app but haven't done so at this point. What do you think?

Please advise as to what I can do about this. Thank you. And Thanks for listening.

Mindy :)

if i'm reading this correctly you did a restore from a backup, then you did a restore from the ipad (set up as new), have you tried a restore from itunes then set up as new?
i had this issue on my ipad2 went through basically the same steps as you did then restored from itunes as new and it took care of it. then i just redownloaded the stuff i really wanted from my account

Kurwenal, thanks for air tip, tried it and it works wonders for a little wonky home button

Mindy60

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Houston, TX USA
if i'm reading this correctly you did a restore from a backup, then you did a restore from the ipad (set up as new), have you tried a restore from itunes then set up as new?
i had this issue on my ipad2 went through basically the same steps as you did then restored from itunes as new and it took care of it. then i just redownloaded the stuff i really wanted from my account

Kurwenal, thanks for air tip, tried it and it works wonders for a little wonky home button

Yes I did actually! The problem appears to be resolved. I set up as new but not going to restore data cuz I do not want to run into the problem of corrupt data files. Stuff like Purchased and kindle books I am downloading. I will eventually sync more from my PC as soon as I am sure the problem is indeed fixed. Just testing at this point.

Cheers,
Mindy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.