Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markjacksonguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Hello,

Here's a video of a game being designed for a company (and not for fun). The game is in it's early stages, so it doesn't look really super right now; but it will be by the time it's finished.

Code and gameplay are the main two elements getting attention right now. Graphics, sound effects, music and special effects will receive attention closer to project end.

You can follow this project if you want too; more videos will be posted as the project becomes more advanced.

If you have any questions about this game, you can email me at markjacksonguy@yahoo.com

One of the reasons this project was started is to allow Indie Game Developers to watch a project go from nothing to something in development. This game will balance graphics with performance, which is usually the case with RTS styled games.

This "RPGish" RTS will have a style and features that will be new to the RTS genre. Please vote on rather or not you liked or disliked the video. Thank you.

http://youtu.be/1--Ho-vZWL4

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
From one indie dev to another, good luck on your project!

I really wish I had documented the development of my last game. From starting with virtually no "watchers", to getting it on Steam+indie bundles, to partnering up with others to develop a console version. Write everything down. I'd actually recommend you keep a devblog too and not just rely on video. Watching videos, especially this early into a game, can be massively boring! :)

markjacksonguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Hi all!

Just uploaded a second video. This time I am working on the comba system some more. The basic structure of system is already in place, I just need to fill in the holes that remain. This is good stuff for Indie Game Developers. =D

http://youtu.be/j0KKTAtl2KE

----------

From one indie dev to another, good luck on your project!
Watching videos, especially this early into a game, can be massively boring! :)

That's the whole point of the videos... I want people to see this game slowly transform into quality. Yes, parts of developing is boring. Not all of it is fun and some things are just flat out WORK!

For instance, I hate doing animations (very time consuming). :)

Check out my video 2

http://youtu.be/j0KKTAtl2KE

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
What engine are you using to build this? Unity is the first thing that comes to mind, but this doesn't really resemble something built in Unity.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
What engine are you using to build this? Unity is the first thing that comes to mind, but this doesn't really resemble something built in Unity.

some people still make their own engines.. and there is also tons of others you there.... but Unity has gotten really good lately, and definitely the best choice for inde devs.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
some people still make their own engines.. and there is also tons of others you there.... but Unity has gotten really good lately, and definitely the best choice for inde devs.

Right, which is why I asked what engine he was using...

markjacksonguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Video 3

Here is video three in the series:

http://youtu.be/JRCGrb9caME

I am currently inserting my first batch of enemy models into the run-time. I just did some basic animations at the moment and one of my Heros has the wrong animation set at the moment. I'm just evaluating the code...making sure there are no combat or loading errors.

Subscribe to my videos in order to keep track of new ones more easily.

If for some reason youtube's given link is bad, just run my name in the youtube search box and you should eventually see all my content so far.

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.