Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Funky Beetroot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
I posted this in a different forum, possibly the wrong forum, so am re-posting here - apologies if you are reading this twice, I am new to this stuff.

I want to set up a system where:

1. I stream music from i-tunes on computer to my stereo
2. I stream i-tunes movies from itunes on computer to my TV
3. the tv audio output is through the stereo, not through the TV's speakers
4. (possibly - I also attach dvd player to the whole set up and it also plays audio through the stereo - this is less important)

I was thinking that I could do this with the following:

(a) an apple TV

(b) a T-amp, probably an Audioengine N22

(c) passive speakers, either Audioengine P4 or Bose 161 book shelf:

(d) my existing TV.

Here are my questions:

1. will this work?

2. do I need a DAC? (If yes - can I just buy a T-amp with a DAC)?

3. Can I hook it up so that the apple TV can play music via the stereo without turning on the TV, but also play movies through the TV and have movie sound go through the stereo?

4. should I just buy a cheapish AV receiver + speakers + apple TV? If so - any suggestions on the AV receiver front?

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
I have a cheap solution (not a fan of surround sound), but I thought I would quickly tell you how I'm setup:

Apple TV connected with HDMI to Samsung LCD television. Stereo audio output of television to Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver. Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf speakers connected to stereo receiver.

Essentially all audio goes to through the stereo receiver no matter what I'm doing (Xbox 360, Apple TV, Satellite).

Note: TV has to be on.

Funky Beetroot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
follow up question for derondantzler

Do you connect apple TV directly to receiver as well as to TV? Or if not, do you have to have your TV on to listen to music form itunes?

I have a cheap solution (not a fan of surround sound), but I thought I would quickly tell you how I'm setup:

Apple TV connected with HDMI to Samsung LCD television. Stereo audio output of television to Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver. Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf speakers connected to stereo receiver.

Essentially all audio goes to through the stereo receiver no matter what I'm doing (Xbox 360, Apple TV, Satellite).

Note: TV has to be on.

LAnMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Adelaide South Australia
My setup is pretty much the same as derondantzler.
4 units, including Apple TV3, attached to Samsung TV via HDMI.
Samsung connected to old (no HDMI) Yamaha amp with optical cable.
Apple TV also attached to amp with optical to allow me to play music via AirPlay from iPad or iPhone without having the Samsung TV on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.