Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi guys,

Any recommendation. Should i upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6.0 Production Premium. Is it worth the upgrade to CS6.0. Any advice on those who upgraded.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
Without knowing what you do makes it impossible to tell.

Are you ever going to be sharing projects with legacy versions? Have you even looked into the newer features of every application you use?

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Hi
I Use it for video editing. I don't use any legacy software that i will have to go back to. Most of the video editing i do are going straight to DVD without color correction. Most of them are for my church events.

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Well the improvement in After Effects that will help me alot when working on creating intros and titles. New adobe photoshop to able to edit video directly in it. So far that's the things i am aware of. Right now i am just trying to read of what improves are made to Encore and premiere.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Well the improvement in After Effects that will help me alot when working on creating intros and titles. New adobe photoshop to able to edit video directly in it. So far that's the things i am aware of. Right now i am just trying to read of what improves are made to Encore and premiere.
You can edit video directly in Photoshop already. I've done so in CS5, and maybe even CS3, but I can't recall for sure.

I have CS5, 5.5 and 6, but haven't installed CS6 yet, because I'm finishing some major projects up before upgrading, and I usually wait for an update or two for bugs to be worked out. I've read about some CS6 bugs, but didn't pay close attention since I'm not quite ready to move up. (It was a free upgrade when I bought 5.5.)

The legacy project concept is worth noting. I only recently deleted CS3 from my Mac, as none of my clients are using it anymore, and my CS3 projects are officially closed.

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA
Should i upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6.0 Production Premium. Is it worth the upgrade to CS6.0. Any advice on those who upgraded.

I'd hold off for the time being. Premiere Pro and Photoshop CS6 on a Mac are quite buggy and, IMHO, unsuitable for use. I'm not sure what the folks at Adobe were thinking when they released it other than trying to meet or beat some deadline.

I've run into 3 specific problems with CS6; 2 with Premiere Pro and 1 with Photoshop:
  • Significant lag when trying to edit spanned AVCHD inputs. If an AVCHD input has to span multiple files because of its size, Premiere Pro CS6 has a lot of trouble playing it in its Program monitor without substantial lag, slowness, choppiness, or even green screen.
  • Premiere Pro sometimes crashes, as mentioned in the Adobe thread referenced by wonderspark. For reasons not entirely clear yet, PPro will pop up a "...experienced a Serious Error" and then crash.
  • Photoshop's Bridge app can't seem to hand RAW files to the Camera Raw app without crashing fairly repeatedly and regularly.

I continue to use Photoshop CS6 because I can work around the Bridge crashing issue by just using the built-in mini-bridge. But the Premiere Pro issues are show-stoppers for me. I'm back to using version 5.5.2 when editing vids because CS6 is just unusable. I'm sure Adobe will crack the problem and release a patch to fix it. Until then, I'm not using it and can't recommend it.

jas

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I'd hold off for the time being. Premiere Pro and Photoshop CS6 on a Mac are quite buggy and, IMHO, unsuitable for use. I'm not sure what the folks at Adobe were thinking when they released it other than trying to meet or beat some deadline.

I've run into 3 specific problems with CS6; 2 with Premiere Pro and 1 with Photoshop:
  • Significant lag when trying to edit spanned AVCHD inputs. If an AVCHD input has to span multiple files because of its size, Premiere Pro CS6 has a lot of trouble playing it in its Program monitor without substantial lag, slowness, choppiness, or even green screen.
  • Premiere Pro sometimes crashes, as mentioned in the Adobe thread referenced by wonderspark. For reasons not entirely clear yet, PPro will pop up a "...experienced a Serious Error" and then crash.
  • Photoshop's Bridge app can't seem to hand RAW files to the Camera Raw app without crashing fairly repeatedly and regularly.

I continue to use Photoshop CS6 because I can work around the Bridge crashing issue by just using the built-in mini-bridge. But the Premiere Pro issues are show-stoppers for me. I'm back to using version 5.5.2 when editing vids because CS6 is just unusable. I'm sure Adobe will crack the problem and release a patch to fix it. Until then, I'm not using it and can't recommend it.

jas

Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles with Premiere Pro. I guess I've been blessed. I'm using CS6 and just finished my second 3 camera shoot music video without any hiccups at all. Playback is perfectly fine even in multi clips. I'm on an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

Without knowing about the issues stated above, I would've recommended an upgrade to anybody that asked since CS6 works great for me.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles with Premiere Pro. I guess I've been blessed. I'm using CS6 and just finished my second 3 camera shoot music video without any hiccups at all. Playback is perfectly fine even in multi clips. I'm on an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro.

Without knowing about the issues stated above, I would've recommended an upgrade to anybody that asked since CS6 works great for me.
what format are you living on? this is usually the decisive point for users. I know that to get R3D going its somewhat smooth but with a price. I dont work with AVCHD so I cant say.
We have the upgrade to CS6 but as usual, I dont uprade till they beta test this version for months.
I was there during the CS3 and CS4 debacle.
Not worth it for my dept. just for a few "cool" updates in AE.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
what format are you living on? this is usually the decisive point for users. I know that to get R3D going its somewhat smooth but with a price. I dont work with AVCHD so I cant say.
We have the upgrade to CS6 but as usual, I dont uprade till they beta test this version for months.
I was there during the CS3 and CS4 debacle.
Not worth it for my dept. just for a few "cool" updates in AE.

I usually use ProRes but for these last two I just used the h.264's right off the SD cards from my T2i's. Smooth as butter and that's off a firewire 800 drive. This week I'll be switching it up though, getting an SSD for boot drive and moving the internal HDD to the optibay so can keep everything internal. Also upping RAM from 8 gigs to 16 gigs.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I usually use ProRes but for these last two I just used the h.264's right off the SD cards...
There was an article recently that confuses the masses using FCPX. At the start, Apple stated you should be optimizing all clips to ProRes. Now this article states that Apple wants you to stay native with your original footage.
A little confusing.
We def cant since I work mostly with R3D files :(

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
There was an article recently that confuses the masses using FCPX. At the start, Apple stated you should be optimizing all clips to ProRes. Now this article states that Apple wants you to stay native with your original footage.
A little confusing.
We def cant since I work mostly with R3D files :(

Ah yes, the RED. I'm working on a couple of small projects with a producer friend of mine and he was considering buying a RED. But now after further investigation and being budget conscious, he's considering purchasing a couple of Blackmagic-Designs Cinema Cameras. Should be a blast editing off the SSD's into CS6. Just waiting for them to hit market and get some feedback from users.

On a sidenote, I also use FCPX for quick single camera edits. I believe each tool has it's purpose. I also believe in being loyal to the craft not necessarily the software, so I'll use whatever works at the moment. I love Apple but I love my productivity more.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011

That thread is a melange of issues, quite a mess, actually. I've been meaning to lock it.

It has users with an assortment of problems, many related to user error, or system compatibilities. The few issues we do have with Macs and Premiere Pro are being dealt with, or are already fixed with the latest update.

If you have one particular problem with Premiere Pro, by all means post it. However, do not refer anyone to that post. No one will be helped by it.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
That thread is a melange of issues, quite a mess, actually. I've been meaning to lock it.

It has users with an assortment of problems, many related to user error, or system compatibilities. The few issues we do have with Macs and Premiere Pro are being dealt with, or are already fixed with the latest update.

If you have one particular problem with Premiere Pro, by all means post it. However, do not refer anyone to that post. No one will be helped by it.
My bad.
I've still not installed CS6 because of it, but I've not had any issues with any prior version of Premiere or AE, and I've had all versions except CS4.

CS5 and 5.5 have been great for me, and I do have a spare boot disk clone, so I will just go for the install tonight and see how it goes for myself. That way, if I have an issue, I can wipe that SSD and put my "last known good" one back in.

At least then, I'll be able to speak from first-hand experience. :)

jasonvp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
Northern VA

No offense Kevin, but, really? Lock it? Keep reading...

It has users with an assortment of problems, many related to user error, or system compatibilities.

That's a very arrogant (and ignorant) thing to say, IMHO. But keep reading.

The few issues we do have with Macs and Premiere Pro are being dealt with, or are already fixed with the latest update.

None of your updates have fixed a single thing with CS6 and Premiere Pro on the Mac. Yet. If you are planning on fixing the issues folks are raising, then, for crying out loud, SAY SOMETHING on that thread. It's what people are asking for. Adobe is uncharacteristically quiet and not participating in that thread at all. It's pissed enough people off that they're actually considering dropping your software.

You guys need to do some heavy damage control, and you need to do it quickly! That is unless you're OK with the Mac folks moving away from Premiere and to some other NLE.

jas

DaveEP

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012

Kevin,

I'm actually so insulted by your post that I registered here so I could reply. I'm one of the people with serious problems and have posted several times in that thread. Locking the thread won't make the problems go away. I earn a living using software I paid a lot of money for, but crashes several times a day.

If I take a brand new Mac out of the box, install CS6 and have the Serious Error crash within minutes, what is it about a new mac that has system incompatibilities? Adobe made a big thing about CUDA support on this very model (17" MacBookPro) yet we are supposed to believe they see no problems whatsoever on their test machines, but mine, a brand new straight out of the box is some how mis configured? :eek:

What is it about setting an 'in' and an 'out' point in the source monitor and hitting ',' to move it to the timeline that's a user error? (caused a serious error)

What is it about dragging the CTI 5 frames with the mouse that's a user error (cause a serious error) ?

What is it about twirling down an audio track to see the waveform that's a user error?

Why has there been no word from Adobe in that thread about the problems?

Telling us they are already fixed in the last update is nonsense. It changed nothing within my day-to-day experience.

Telling us they are being 'worked on' in some 'other forum' doesn't help any one on the Adobe forums, which is where this needs to be said.

Is MacRumors now the official conduit for information instead? If so, what sort of timescale are we looking at, and how many of these problems have Adobe actually been able to recreate?

What news on the AVCHD problem? I sent a complete example project (inc footage) that demonstrated the problem, and Adobe acknowledged it, but we hear nothing at all about a fix coming.

Threads build and build in size because users are frustrated at the lack of feedback. If Adobe don't like it, simply locking the thread won't help. The best thing Adobe could do is give us feedback!

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
No offense Kevin, but, really? Lock it? Keep reading...

That's a very arrogant (and ignorant) thing to say, IMHO. But keep reading.

None of your updates have fixed a single thing with CS6 and Premiere Pro on the Mac. Yet. If you are planning on fixing the issues folks are raising, then, for crying out loud, SAY SOMETHING on that thread. It's what people are asking for. Adobe is uncharacteristically quiet and not participating in that thread at all. It's pissed enough people off that they're actually considering dropping your software.

You guys need to do some heavy damage control, and you need to do it quickly! That is unless you're OK with the Mac folks moving away from Premiere and to some other NLE.

jas

The thread is a mixture of problems, so it is difficult to focus in on the actual problems. If you help me compile a list, we can get bug reports to file for each one. The thread as it stands is kind of a mess, so a compilation would be helpful.

I don't plan on locking that thread until we get all the issues sorted out, so don't worry.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Kevin,

I'm actually so insulted by your post that I registered here so I could reply. I'm one of the people with serious problems and have posted several times in that thread. Locking the thread won't make the problems go away. I earn a living using software I paid a lot of money for, but crashes several times a day!

Hi Dave,
It's not that we don't care about the problems in the thread, it's just that there are too many issues there to figure out just what the issues are. Let's try and find out what the issues are and make sure bug reports are filed for each one.

If I take a brand new Mac out of the box, install CS6 and have the Serious Error crash within minutes, what is it about a new mac that has system incompatibilities? Adobe made a big thing about CUDA support on this very model (17" MacBookPro) yet we are supposed to believe they see no problems whatsoever on their test machines, but mine, a brand new straight out of the box is some how mis configured?

I'm not sure why you are having trouble. Did you file a bug report? http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

It is OpenCL support, not CUDA with the Mac OS and AMD cards.

What is it about setting an 'in' and an 'out' point in the source monitor and hitting ',' to move it to the timeline that's a user error? (caused a serious error)

What is it about dragging the CTI 5 frames with the mouse that's a user error (cause a serious error) ?

What is it about twirling down an audio track to see the waveform that's a user error?

I have not seen these problems on my Mac. Did you file a bug report?

Why has there been no word from Adobe in that thread about the problems?

Because the thread is too long and unruly. We need to know what the actual issues are. A list should be compiled.

Telling us they are already fixed in the last update is nonsense. It changed nothing within my day-to-day experience.

I'm sorry the update didn't fix your issues.

Telling us they are being 'worked on' in some 'other forum' doesn't help any one on the Adobe forums, which is where this needs to be said.

I post on many forums, there is no more info here than there. Often the best info is on the Adobe forums. I was addressing the issue that the post on Adobe forums was getting unruly, it was.

Is MacRumors now the official conduit for information instead??

No.

If so, what sort of timescale are we looking at, and how many of these problems have Adobe actually been able to recreate?

These are questions that you know I cannot answer, here, or in any forum. Sorry.

What news on the AVCHD problem? I sent a complete example project (inc footage) that demonstrated the problem, and Adobe acknowledged it, but we hear nothing at all about a fix coming.

I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of your individual issue. If engineering contacted you for a sample project, then I assure that the problem is being looked at.

Threads build and build in size because users are frustrated at the lack of feedback. If Adobe don't like it, simply locking the thread won't help. The best thing Adobe could do is give us feedback!

I didn't plan to "simply lock" the thread. The goal is to find out the individual issues, and make sure that bugs are filed for each one. As it stands, the thread is very hard for us to follow. That's all.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
I didn't plan to "simply lock" the thread. The goal is to find out the individual issues, and make sure that bugs are filed for each one. As it stands, the thread is very hard for us to follow. That's all.
Please take another look at the thread on the Adobe forums. You can see that I'm compiling a list of the actual issues and asked users to submit bug reports.

We are taking action.

Thanks.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Please take another look at the thread on the Adobe forums. You can see that I'm compiling a list of the actual issues and asked users to submit bug reports.

We are taking action.

Thanks.
Thanks Kevin for keeping things on the positive.
I know I still have issues with the last three CS offerings concerning AFP and 2GB file limit, but have worked around it since its been known that Adobe and Apple has not sat down and worked this out.
I for one live off AE but not PPro, and with Adobe and you of course hanging in there to address the needs of others, it makes it more easier for some to use your products with a positive attitude.

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks Kevin for keeping things on the positive.
Thanks mbox!

I know I still have issues with the last three CS offerings concerning AFP and 2GB file limit, but have worked around it since its been known that Adobe and Apple has not sat down and worked this out.

Not to place blame, but this one's been in Apple's court for some time.

I for one live off AE but not PPro, and with Adobe and you of course hanging in there to address the needs of others, it makes it more easier for some to use your products with a positive attitude.

I'll do my best to make sure all problems are known. The AFP/2GB limit bug should definitely be added to the list.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.