Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Like the title says :

WOL doesn't work in Lion apart from waking from sleep (and that only by screen sharing). Real WOL wakes from OFF.
In screen sharing there is another problem when waking from sleep. Macs connected to a woken Mac sometimes (me also) just see a black screen. The only solution is a reboot (hard to do remotely !). This was working OK in SL apparently. Same problem with a VNC connection. Problem seems to do with the virtual display and the dual GPU configs.

Are either of these fixed in ML ? I'm remote connected to a 2011 i7 Mini from a 2011 MBA, both on Lion.

Thanks.

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
Like the title says :

WOL doesn't work in Lion apart from waking from sleep (and that only by screen sharing). Real WOL wakes from OFF.
In screen sharing there is another problem when waking from sleep. Macs connected to a woken Mac sometimes (me also) just see a black screen. The only solution is a reboot (hard to do remotely !). This was working OK in SL apparently. Same problem with a VNC connection. Problem seems to do with the virtual display and the dual GPU configs.

Are either of these fixed in ML ? I'm remote connected to a 2011 i7 Mini from a 2011 MBA, both on Lion.

Thanks.

In 10.8 I still get the black screen when i VNC to my mac mini with no display attached (headless). The mouse works fine if i touch the screen i can see the movement via a logmein session.

Logmein works fine.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
In 10.8 I still get the black screen when i VNC to my mac mini with no display attached (headless). The mouse works fine if i touch the screen i can see the movement via a logmein session.

Logmein works fine.

Thanks. I got fed up in the end and sold my MacMini. I've now built my own headless server and am running it with VNC and Win7. I also wanted to use WOL (which also doesn't work in OSX), so I've killed both problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.