PDA

View Full Version : More Claims of October Launch for Updated iMac Models

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 3, 2012, 10:17 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/more-claims-of-october-launch-for-updated-imac-models/)

With Apple opting not to release updated iMac models at its Worldwide Developers Conference last month, there has been considerable debate over the timing of the next update. Several of the hardware pieces such as Ivy Bridge processors are already available to support an update, and with the last update having occurred 427 days ago (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac) the time seems ripe for new models.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/05/imacs_2011_lion.jpg

But one wild card has been the issue of Retina displays and whether they will be included in the next round of updates to the iMac. ABC News reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/15/retina-displays-also-coming-to-next-generation-imac/) in mid-May that Retina displays would indeed becoming to the next iMac, but more recent claims (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/22/no-retina-display-in-next-generation-imac/) have suggested that Apple will need to wait until next year to roll out the technology, especially given the horsepower needed to support massive numbers of pixels on the 27-inch iMac.

That latter report from Marco Arment suggested that the interim non-Retina iMac refresh would happen some time in the latter part of this year, perhaps in the September-October timeframe. Alternatively, we've speculated that Apple could release updated iMacs without Retina displays at any time given the availability of components and an apparently-legitimate benchmark (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/14/unreleased-2012-macbook-pro-and-imac-models-showing-up-in-benchmarks/), with the launch of OS X Mountain Lion later this month being one opportunity for such a launch. But with essentially no sign of Apple ramping up production on new iMacs, the company's plans remain unclear.

Now, a new report from DigiTimes (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120702PD218.html) claims that Apple's supply chain is indeed preparing to provide components for an updated iMac, with an eye toward a launch in October of this year.Apple's supply chain reportedly will start supplying components for the mass production of Apple's upcoming new iMac all-in-one PC in July with the device's official launch possibly around October, according to sources from upstream supply chain.Unlike Arment's sources, however, DigiTimes believes that Apple will include Retina displays in the new models.

DigiTimes has come under increasing criticism for a number of claims that have not been borne out, but the publication does occasionally offer correct information (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/14/apple-to-launch-2880x1800-resolution-retina-display-macbook-pro-in-q2-2012/) and weighing its information with other rumors can still help fill out a picture of Apple's roadmap. In this case, the new report offers a second data point claiming that new iMacs will arrive in the September-October timeframe rather coming sooner as many have hoped.

Article Link: More Claims of October Launch for Updated iMac Models (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/more-claims-of-october-launch-for-updated-imac-models/)

tann
Jul 3, 2012, 10:19 AM
I would have hoped that they'd be out the same time as Mountain Lion!

M-O
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
thunderbolt, usb 3, hdmi,
very, very thin.

Mad Mac Maniac
If there isn't a retina diplay and/or redesign for this hypothetical october refresh, then you have to wonder why they weren't updated last month...

Orlandoech
Jul 3, 2012, 10:20 AM
If there isn't a retina diplay and/or redesign for this hypothetical october refresh, then you have to wonder why they weren't updated last month...

Pathetic isnt it lol.

adildacoolset
I'm actually very confused as to when it's coming out. A guy says july. No wait, this guy says october. One says retina, another says no. Release it apple, the suspense is almost a crime now!

I8P'CS
So according to this article, Retina display iMac 2012 but NO redesign until 2013, So why the long wait? Smells fishy this article does. BOGUS. NOT MACRUMOYRS, DIGITIMES ARE

bad03xtreme
Jul 3, 2012, 10:21 AM
I wish I had more disposable income. My G5 is still kicking and I can't convince my wife we need a new computer when my work gives me a Macbook Pro. :mad:

sammich
Jul 3, 2012, 10:22 AM
Oh look, it's another Digi-easy page hits-Times rumour. The disclaimer at the end of each article doesn't quite 'disclaim' the OP, but eh.

A 4K iMac will be a sight to behold though.

doobybiggs
Jul 3, 2012, 10:23 AM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

I dont think it is a redesign but more of just a refresh with probably USB 3 and thunderbolt.

It would be awesome if they made it super thin, I just really doubt they ever will though.

antster94
Jul 3, 2012, 10:24 AM
Please no retina display on these; I'ld much rather have better GPU performance.

YahonMaizosz
Jul 3, 2012, 10:24 AM
No retina display please.. No graphic card out there can drive that amount of pixels sub-30fps, yet..

adildacoolset
Jul 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

There's no need for a very thin desktop. They can make it marginally thinner so it can be powerful. Maybe if there was a retina display, hopefully, just hopefully, they would SLI/crossfire a couple of high-end mobile GPUs or find a way to cool some high-end GPUs in order to accommodate such a high density.

Itpirate
Jul 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
If they offer Retina display it will probably be only in one version and it will be astronomical in price.

I don't see the point in a Retina display iMac. The resolution on the current model is darn near perfect. After seeing a retina macbook, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:26 AM
Realistically i dont see any updates coming any time soon, regarding the design of imac its already the "best desktop design" out there and redesigning this thing ll be a big deal also is axing the slot load super drive aint such a good idea as we have seen regular macbook pro models keeping them.

expect minor cpu updates and much needed (IMO) GPU updates, the baseline imac GPU just sucks big time, hope apple addresses this bec its priced quite high given the competition

markfc
Jul 3, 2012, 10:26 AM
User replaceable harddrive please...

Macist
Jul 3, 2012, 10:28 AM
Starting to feel a bit sceptical about this 'retina' stuff.

Having seen a rMBP, yes, the text is sharper but as I generally don't have my face pressed to my laptop screen it's nowhere near as dramatic as with the iPhone 3-4 or even the iPad 2-3.

Web images are effectively 'uprezzed' and are arguably worse on retina. Photographs in iPhoto didn't seem dramatically improved.

So working the GPU really hard for little apparent gain.

bharatgupta

yeah man, even i want that, just like in regular mb pro models, but apple wont offer it as we have seen in rMB pros, pro people always upgrade their stuff, a mac pro for most pro users doesnt make sense today as imacs are capable enuf, lets see what apple offers.

Mad Mac Maniac
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

Sounds like the rMBP...

noahc
Jul 3, 2012, 10:30 AM
I don't claim to understand Apple's strategy and know that desktops are well below iPhones, iPads and MacBooks in the grand priority scheme.

But waiting 500+ days to update a computer seems like they're leaving revenue on the table. Most of those in the know are waiting, waiting waiting. Seems to me they could do a simple refresh with USB 3 and a few other pieces and satisfy the eager masses. I know for my part I've waited already since January and given that I've waited this long, I'll keep waiting. Really annoyed about it, but those are first world problems.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
since the iphone 4s launch, i really dont get exited to hear about apple events anymore like i use to prior ipad release.

Apple is not pushing os x market share and the more they say its post pc era the more closed systems they are building that are overpriced eg is mbpro retina.

No body has spare money to waste on overpriced hardware when its allegedly the "post pc era" where tablets can get the job done for most computing tasks.

Apple should develop more open systems and price them aggressively

not to forget the killer specs, did anyone tested the baseline imac gpu?, this thing is pure *****

JayLenochiniMac
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to put all their eggs in one basket. They'll likely stretch that out over several updates.

There's no need for a very thin desktop.

Apple is obsessed with making everything and anything thinner.

smalltimewine
Really? A DigiTimes rumor? Why does anyone continue to quote that worthless site?

Honestly, any report of a Retina iMac until at least next summer should be suspect.

NIKKG
Damn, people still buy desktops these days? I went straight laptops the past 4 years and haven't missed a desktop yet.

chirpie
DigiTimes has come under increasing criticism for a number of claims that have not been borne out, but the publication does occasionally offer correct information.

A broken clock is right twi... ah forget it.

bdkennedy1
Apple would do the same thing for the iMac they did with the MacBook Pro's - saving the Retina display for the high end iMacs. I don't want a retina display. Too few companies are supporting it and it's going to take a long time for web site developers to create graphics with such high resolution.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
I don't claim to understand Apple's strategy and know that desktops are well below iPhones, iPads and MacBooks in the grand priority scheme.

But waiting 500+ days to update a computer seems like they're leaving revenue on the table. Most of those in the know are waiting, waiting waiting. Seems to me they could do a simple refresh with USB 3 and a few other pieces and satisfy the eager masses. I know for my part I've waited already since January and given that I've waited this long, I'll keep waiting. Really annoyed about it, but those are first world problems.

yeah, couldn't have agreed more on this!

Navdakilla
Jul 3, 2012, 10:34 AM
Pathetic isnt it lol.

Amen, A small spec bump should have been already updated

Glad I don't really follow the rumors (for the most part) and buy based on my need, or else I'd be waiting forever!

joesegh
Jul 3, 2012, 10:35 AM
If Apple waits until October, they're doing themselves and their customers a disservice.

There are plenty potential iMac customers right now that just want marginal updates to the hardware (Ivy Bridge, USB 3, Kepler, etc) and are not going to pay the money for the 2011 models.

To maintain optimal momentum of the product line and sales, release the 2012 version now with the marginal hardware updates, and then in mid-to-late 2013 you can wow the world with a re-design, Retina, whatever.

Itpirate

Is 500 days really too much? Who buys a new desktop computer every year?

I still work on a 2007 mac pro and (2) 2008 iMac's every day. I have no issues running any software and I am a software developer. I am getting close to needing a hardware refresh, but the casual user can probably go even longer.

Hexley
With how badly the NVidia GT 650M drives the Retina display I hope the iMac would pack any Kepler-based GTX GPU.

Any how I wish they released Ivy Bridge iMac a few months back and then release the Retina display iMac by October.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:36 AM
Apple would do the same thing for the iMac they did with the MacBook Pro's - saving the Retina display for the high end iMacs. I don't want a retina display. Too few companies are supporting it and it's going to take a long time for web site developers to create graphics with such high resolution.

exactly, IMO the retina display at current seems like a showcase technology that apple is offering at a high premium price that most people cannot afford. this retina thing is not needed, they dumbed down the entire macbook pro u cant upgrade hdd, ram or anything else, well i wont call that a macbook "pro" bec in near future base 256 gigs ssd will soon run out of space.

theSeb
Jul 3, 2012, 10:38 AM
No retina display please.. No graphic card out there can drive that amount of pixels sub-30fps, yet..

Practically every card can drive that amount of pixels at sub 30 fps. Surely you meant over and not sub?

----------

exactly, IMO the retina display at current seems like a showcase technology that apple is offering at a high premium price that most people cannot afford. this retina thing is not needed, they dumbed down the entire macbook pro u cant upgrade hdd, ram or anything else, well i wont call that a macbook "pro" bec in near future base 256 gigs ssd will soon run out of space.
I don't understand why a non-upgradeable notebook computer is dumbed down. I would love to hear your logical reasoning.

slrandall
Jul 3, 2012, 10:39 AM
Damn, people still buy desktops these days? I went straight laptops the past 4 years and haven't missed a desktop yet.

Not everyone has the same needs as you.

joesegh

From Apple's point of view, for one of their core product lines, I think it really might be. As he stated, they're leaving money on the table. That's never a good thing.

theSeb

I still work on a 2007 mac pro and (2) 2008 iMac's every day. I have no issues running any software and I am a software developer. I am getting close to needing a hardware refresh, but the casual user can probably go even longer.
If you really loved Apple, then you would upgrade every year.

:p *joking

lozpop
Jul 3, 2012, 10:40 AM
If the new iMacs won't have the Retina Display, why Apple should release them in October?

Orlandoech
Amen, A small spec bump should have been already updated

Glad I don't really follow the rumors (for the most part) and buy based on my need, or else I'd be waiting forever!

Same, I got an open box iMac in Feb because I didn't want to wait based on rumors. Glad I did, or else I'd still be waiting.

Bubba Satori
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

Why in the name of Woz does it have to be very, very thin?
It will compromise it's performance even more.
Soldered ram? Please, just stop it. :mad:
What is wrong with people?

jmgregory1
Jul 3, 2012, 10:41 AM
Perhaps the form factor should be made thinner on any new iMac, but I'm not convinced screen improvement to a retina display is required. If Apple could just address reflectivity/glare with the current screens, it would be a significant improvement.

Then they just need to upgrade to new processors, USB 3, ditch the HDD for all SSD, ditch the ODD, make some further improvements in the speakers and iSight camera and I'd be all over getting one for the home office use. The current BTO with SSD already is one of, if not THE, fastest Macs out there (not sure about comparing to the new MBP's). With their volume purchases on SSD's, they should be able to lower prices on a base 21" iMac with 128gb SSD down to below $1000 and offer the 256gb SSD version for $1199 and a 512gb version for $1499.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:42 AM
I don't understand why a non-upgradeable notebook computer is dumbed down. I would love to hear your logical reasoning.

256 gb ssd space[base model] is not enuf for pro people, 8 gb ram is OK for now.

option to upgrade a macbook pro is always better as the software handles specs way better than windows, i would always buy the regular mb pro models, the newer ones are just showcase products just like the 1st gen mb air's. useless for me atleast

d21mike
Jul 3, 2012, 10:43 AM
I am waiting for the Mac Mini. I think they should create a MOUNT on the back of a Cinema Display where you mount a Mac Mini like you do an iPhone to a Doc and call it the iMac. The new Mac Mini could be smaller as well.

yeah
Jul 3, 2012, 10:44 AM
With how badly the NVidia GT 650M drives the Retina display I hope the iMac would pack any Kepler-based GTX GPU.

Any how I wish they released Ivy Bridge iMac a few months back and then release the Retina display iMac by October.

Badly? 1 GB of GDDR5 RAM on new, energy-efficient graphics drives a 2880 x 1800 display badly? It drives it perfectly fine.

bharatgupta
Perhaps the form factor should be made thinner on any new iMac, but I'm not convinced screen improvement to a retina display is required. If Apple could just address reflectivity/glare with the current screens, it would be a significant improvement.

Then they just need to upgrade to new processors, USB 3, ditch the HDD for all SSD, ditch the ODD, make some further improvements in the speakers and iSight camera and I'd be all over getting one for the home office use. The current BTO with SSD already is one of, if not THE, fastest Macs out there (not sure about comparing to the new MBP's). With their volume purchases on SSD's, they should be able to lower prices on a base 21" iMac with 128gb SSD down to below $1000 and offer the 256gb SSD version for $1199 and a 512gb version for $1499.

apart from great design, it shud always manage heat well, and better upgrades in mouse and keyboard(backlit), the magic mouse is useless for pro grade software

lozpop
If Apple waits until October, they're doing themselves and their customers a disservice.

There are plenty potential iMac customers right now that just want marginal updates to the hardware (Ivy Bridge, USB 3, Kepler, etc) and are not going to pay the money for the 2011 models.

To maintain optimal momentum of the product line and sales, release the 2012 version now with the marginal hardware updates, and then in mid-to-late 2013 you can wow the world with a re-design, Retina, whatever.

Totally agree, in fact I'm still really confident that the new iMac will be released with Mountain Lion.

shaunp
Jul 3, 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd prefer a smaller version of the Pro and be able to choose my own monitor. While the 'retina' screens are nice I don't like glossy screens. I also want something more expandable than the mini, or at least let me easily change the storage in my mini.

Moonjumper
Jul 3, 2012, 10:47 AM
Please no retina display on these; I'ld much rather have better GPU performance.

Don't worry. If Apple does release a Retina iMac, I'm sure they will continue with non-Retina models, just as they have with the MBP.

If they do, it will make those happy that want Retina (me included), while still catering for those that don't.

bedifferent
Jul 3, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'd prefer a smaller version of the Pro and be able to choose my own monitor. While the 'retina' screens are nice I don't like glossy screens. I also want something more expandable than the mini, or at least let me easily change the storage in my mini.

Preach! Many have been wanting this for a loooong time.

bharatgupta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:49 AM
looks like the new "folks" at apple are just "playing safe", nothing really bold and exiting came out since the 4s and i honestly dont care about apple events anymore, they ought to go after market share as windows is in trouble thanks to windows 8 and crap windows eco-system, people really appreciating mac platform, instead they seem like resting on their laurels and clearly not updating stuff with time.

look at iphone today it badly needs an upgrade, and same with imac and mac mini and mac pro models..this part of business is really healthy for apple. but god knows what their strategy is.

redmac
My wish list:

Less reflective retina display
User replaceable RAM and storage
Slightly thinner, chinless design

Poketmouse
Ive been hearing this about iMacs for too long now.

Both me and my dad are in the market for new iMacs (me because im a geek and a gamer, my dad because his G4 iMac blew up earlier this year [still using a G4 iMac in 2012!?])

I dont give two ounces of fried coconut about the Retina display the display in my current iMac (2009 C2D) is superb, its bright, clear and is just generally brill, so id be happy with a display of this quality in the new one. The only updates i really want to see are CPU and GPU upgrades. Playing newer games on a 9400M can be quite painful to say the least. Im not even fussed about SSD, as long as the thing works and works quickly im happy.

Hurry up Apple, please, just release something new and updated!

zin
Jul 3, 2012, 10:52 AM

So they can generate the buzz for going into the holiday season.

MrVinney96
Jul 3, 2012, 10:52 AM
I see what Apple is doing here. We have a keynote in October and Apple announces a new iMac and (hopefully) a new iPhone.

TMay
Jul 3, 2012, 10:55 AM

Consider that you might not be the target demographic of the rMBP...

MrVinney96
Jul 3, 2012, 10:56 AM

I know I'm dreaming now, but I hope Apple goes crazy and builds in 2x GTX670 or (even better) 2x GTX680. On the high-end models with retina-display. :)

ayala421
Pathetic isnt it lol.

I concur.

bharatgupta
Consider that you might not be the target demographic of the rMBP...

thank you for noticing:D

Rot'nApple
Jul 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
in mid-May that Retina displays would indeed becoming to the next iMac, but

Oops... Missed a space. While a Retina display is becoming on the recently released MacBook Pro Retina. There seems to be questions if such a display will be coming to the next iMac. :cool:

in the meantime... October release? Time for my Charlie Brown impersonation... "Uggghhhh"! :D
/
/
/

Hexley
Badly? 1 GB of GDDR5 RAM on new, energy-efficient graphics drives a 2880 x 1800 display badly? It drives it perfectly fine.
Sub-30 fps is fine to you? You have low standards then. :D

lozpop
I see what Apple is doing here. We have a keynote in October and Apple announces a new iMac and (hopefully) a new iPhone.

I really doubt that Apple would launch an iMac at an iPhone event.

tlm327
I am waiting for the Mac Mini. I think they should create a MOUNT on the back of a Cinema Display where you mount a Mac Mini like you do an iPhone to a Doc and call it the iMac. The new Mac Mini could be smaller as well.

Me too! Freakin A i wish they would update the mini, ugh.

scottwaugh
Jul 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
I wish I had more disposable income. My G5 is still kicking and I can't convince my wife we need a new computer when my work gives me a Macbook Pro. :mad:

Don't forget to work the "Apple isn't offering security updates for this computer anymore" while throwing in the fact that Macs seem to be getting targeted more by those virus/malware etc. makers...

Of course that won't get you over the cash issue, but might help with the wife...

the8thark
Jul 3, 2012, 11:03 AM
USB3
768GB SSD BTO option
speed bump
That's about it I think

weckart
Jul 3, 2012, 11:04 AM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

Well, the thunderbolt and USB3 would be a welcome addition to this new iPad you are posting about but what about the iMac?

frank8880
Jul 3, 2012, 11:08 AM

what a loser LOL, does your wife work 8 to 5 instead of you while you stay home all day? WTF

I am not married but when I do so, if I want a ****ing $3000 iMac and it is with my hard earned money, I would buy it without consulting anybody!

G5isAlive
Jul 3, 2012, 11:09 AM

it's not hard to sabotage a G5 ... starting with why not just scramble the HD?

Just trying to be helpful.

ppilone
Jul 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

The SSD is upgradeable - OWC stated the day it was released that it would eventually offer SSDs for the rMBP. You've also only listed the base model, which 1. can be BTO to a much better machine and 2. is competitively priced compared to a similarly spec'd MBP.

hexx
doesn't current 27" iMac already have a 'retina' display? If memory serves me well, for roughly 30" viewing distance at 27" inch display you need roughly 100-115ppi - that would fit the resolution of 27" iMac

almost is 'retina', found this calculator (check the license, it's really funny): http://bhtooefr.org/displaycalc.htm

whitesand
The displays are excellent as they are right now...Perhaps just some reliability improvements for certain issues that pop up like dust ect ect...

All the IMac needs is updated specs, and make the hard drive user serviceable....

charlituna
I'm actually very confused as to when it's coming out. A guy says july. No wait, this guy says october. One says retina, another says no. Release it apple, the suspense is almost a crime now!

Or it could be a general upgrade with Mountain Lion and then in October they will had a new thinner, ODD free, Retina Display model on the high end with the release of new Displays that come in 27, 36 and 40 inch models with HDMI inputs that are actually the "TV" that everyone keeps spreading rumors about. Also there will be a new Apple TV set box with a bit more processor kick for upscaling etc. Just in time for your holiday shopping.

Thus making both guys right and wrong

shurcooL
Jul 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
You could always run on "old" non-Retina resolution whenever you desire more performance.

Konrad
Jul 3, 2012, 11:12 AM
I rather they also released a new 27-30/32 inch monitor with USB2/3, FW, TB, and I don't care for any retina, nor a new iToy.

G5isAlive
Jul 3, 2012, 11:13 AM
what a loser LOL, does your wife work 8 to 5 instead of you while you stay home all day? WTF

I am not married but when I do so, if I want a ****ing $3000 iMac and it is with my ahard earned money, I would buy it without consulting anybody!

spoken like someone in no danger of marrying soon.... its called working together and sharing. but you go head and keep thinking your wants are the only ones that matter...

Defender2010
Jul 3, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think it should be obvious at this stage that all Apple displays will be retina at some point. The next keynote should see retina updates to the 13inch MacBook pro models and the iMac. Hopefully!

Thunderhawks
Jul 3, 2012, 11:15 AM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

You forgot :

See Through

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:16 AM

Actually there could be. Too many folks are making the false assumption that Retina would mean doubling the highest current res but the math doesn't play out to that. Under Apple's own published math you only need about 12% more pixels on a 27 inch and 15-17% more on a 21 inch (which they aren't likely to do since that is the more consumer model and folks won't pay the higher price).

So they might not need some super crazy GPU to push that amount. Or if they decide they want to increase the power they might go with a 'desktop' GPU rather than a mobile one, have sorted out a way to put in a second (they would have room if they kill the internal ODD) etc.

I'm more curious what they might do with making a larger Cinema Display model and even perhaps one with the power and frame rates to handle even 3d material cleanly. I'd take a 40 inch Retina 3d capable Cinema Display as a tv any day. With both thunderbolt and HDMI I could hook my computer and blu-ray to it as well as my Apple TV and be very happy.

cvaldes
Jul 3, 2012, 11:16 AM
DigiTimes has come under increasing criticism for a number of claims that have not been borne out, but the publication does occasionally offer correct information (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/14/apple-to-launch-2880x1800-resolution-retina-display-macbook-pro-in-q2-2012/) and weighing its information with other rumors can still help fill out a picture of Apple's roadmap. In this case, the new report offers a second data point claiming that new iMacs will arrive in the September-October timeframe rather coming sooner as many have hoped.
LOL, this should be the first paragraph, not the last.

It's a Digitmes rumor, hence worthless. Just chuck this one into the circular file. Oh, wait, the circular file needs emptying since it's full of other Digitimes rumors.

:p

xgman
Jul 3, 2012, 11:17 AM
Apple's attention to the desktop market has simply become alarming. Falling way behind the curve and longer and longer between updates. The writing is on the wall.

ps: I don't really want retina either. Not happy about the image retention issues so far with the mbp's.

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:19 AM

It's less about desktops being under anything in the priority list and more about Apple's overall plan that they don't release stuff just to be releasing something. They do it when they can do it well. If it takes 3 years for the tech to be there to release a killer Pro tower, they will wait. Same with two years for a revamped iMac. Remembering that they don't make every component so that is an issue they have to deal with as well, timing and quality of the parts they need.

----------

retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

They did it with the MBP. And like the MBP it will likely be a single high end model this round and perhaps spread as the tech settles into its own.

zMacintoshz
Jul 3, 2012, 11:20 AM
im glad i just ordered mine, i can't wait until october to get an iMac

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
So according to this article, Retina display iMac 2012 but NO redesign until 2013, So why the long wait? Smells fishy this article does.

That smell is often due to folks forgetting that Apple runs on a fiscal calendar and for them 2013 starts in Oct 2012. So you have a source saying '2013' meaning the fiscal year but the site is thinking of 2013 in a pure standard calendar since and speaks of Jan etc.

so if they release in Oct they are both in 2012 and 2013 depending on which calendar you are using

rocanlover163
Jul 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
It seems odd that there wasn't a new iMac update last month if it's supposbably suppsoed to be just a small spec bump.

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to put all their eggs in one basket. They'll likely stretch that out over several updates.

which is why they haven't release a notebook model with all . . .

oh wait.

bungiefan89
Jul 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
All I want is an HDMI in/out port. So disappointed that I can't use my 2011 iMac's gorgeous screen to display ANYTHING other than what's on the computer, and information from another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac.

John.B
Jul 3, 2012, 11:23 AM
If they offer Retina display it will probably be only in one version and it will be astronomical in price.

I don't see the point in a Retina display iMac. The resolution on the current model is darn near perfect. After seeing a retina macbook, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Nice to have choices. :)

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:25 AM
looks like the new "folks" at apple are just "playing safe", nothing really bold and exiting came out since the 4s

Looks like someone actually believes that tech is developed overnight and has no clue that everything we are seeing right now started several years ago and we'll be seeing "steve" stuff for several more years to come (as far out as 10 years from now).

So this has little to nothing to do with the 'new folks' who actually aren't new as Tim Cook etc were with the company for years under Steve.

ericinboston
Jul 3, 2012, 11:25 AM
<sarcasm>Wow! I only have to wait 4 more full months before it is released! Golly, I LOVE waiting close to 2 years for Apple to update its desktop family!</sarcasm>

But seriously....what the bleepedy bleep bleep is up with Apple taking years (plural) to release an UPDATE to its destkop.

My wife and I have waited too long for this...we want something now. Bye bye, Apple. I can grab a system with a high end i7, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD drive and 2TB Sata 6Gbps drive, cd/dvd/bluray burner, USB 3.0 system with 24" monitor for $1100....NOW. Buying this afternoon. No, not Dell or HP or Lenovo or other mass-market...mom and pop store that's about $100 more than the name brands but has higher quality/better spec guts.

Shhhhheeeeeeez, Apple.

charlituna
Jul 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
My wish list:

User replaceable RAM and storage
Slightly thinner, chinless design

my wish list.

More built in Ram and storage (no need for it to be replaceable by this user)
thinner, wall mountable out of the box with out my having to spend an hour putting on an adapter. keep the chin if you like but put the ports on the edges rather than the back

eddjedi
Jul 3, 2012, 11:28 AM

Agreed. The retina display on a phone makes perfect sense, it's tiny and you often hold it very close to your face. I've also seen a rMBP in the Apple store, and from a reasonable viewing distance you can't notice the extra pixel density. On an iMac (or any desktop for that matter) it's a complete waste of time unless you sit an unhealthy distance from the screen.

pmz
Jul 3, 2012, 11:28 AM

Exactly. If they don't launch alongside Mountain Lion, then they absolutely will have Retina display's in October. That's how I see it.

There is absolutely no reason why they couldn't have spec bump models by last month or this month.

12dylan34
Jul 3, 2012, 11:31 AM
a mac pro for most pro users doesnt make sense today as imacs are capable enuf, lets see what apple offers.

The iMac isn't enough for any pro doing video. If they're gonna replace it, it has to be more powerful than the current Mac Pro, or Pro users will flock away. Not because it's necessarily a choice, but because it won't be able to handle the work that they're doing.

TurnerMan
Jul 3, 2012, 11:32 AM
I probably won't buy another Mac until they offer better GPUs. I want to get rid of my PC, but can't do that with their out-of-date (and highly overpriced) "upgrades" for my Mac Pro. I'll stick it out with my 3,1 until it turns into dust and game on my custom system. I just want a card that's mildly comprable to what's on the market.

Thunderhawks
Jul 3, 2012, 11:34 AM
<sarcasm>Wow! I only have to wait 4 more full months before it is released! Golly, I LOVE waiting close to 2 years for Apple to update its desktop family!</sarcasm>

But seriously....what the bleepedy bleep bleep is up with Apple taking years (plural) to release an UPDATE to its destkop.

My wife and I have waited too long for this...we want something now. Bye bye, Apple. I can grab a system with a high end i7, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD drive and 2TB Sata 6Gbps drive, cd/dvd/bluray burner, USB 3.0 system with 24" monitor for $1100....NOW. Buying this afternoon. No, not Dell or HP or Lenovo or other mass-market...mom and pop store that's about $100 more than the name brands but has higher quality/better spec guts.

Shhhhheeeeeeez, Apple.

This just in:

Cupertino, CA:

Tim Cook states he is personally crushed by consumers buying a non-apple products.

Quote: We understand that not everybody is patient enough to wait for all the exciting items we have in the pipeline.

akadmon
Jul 3, 2012, 11:37 AM

Convince your work to give you a Dell :)

Thunderhawks
Jul 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
my wish list.

More built in Ram and storage (no need for it to be replaceable by this user)
thinner, wall mountable out of the box with out my having to spend an hour putting on an adapter. keep the chin if you like but put the ports on the edges rather than the back

Ports on the edges and with all the cables sticking out make it look like a porcupine?

Not going to happen.

mac1984user
Jul 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
Photographs in iPhoto didn't seem dramatically improved.

I thought there was a significant difference between photos displayed in iPhoto on the rMBP vs the non-retina MBP. My wife was blown away by the amount of detail and clarity on the rMBP screen. You certainly need to be working with high-resolution photos in the first place, but if so, the rMBP makes photos look absolutely stunning.

Whether or not the iMac needs retina at this point is another thing entirely. The sacrifice of GPU and CPU power is too great, not to mention the cost at this point. The iMac screen looks stunning as it is and I'm not typically as close to my desktop screen as I am my laptop. That said, if there were no sacrifices, I'm sure we'd all be on board with retina iMacs. I just have my doubts that they have the quantity and sizes they need to be able to outfit iMacs with retina displays at this point. It seems the rMPB is still a bit of an experiment - an experiment I hope to be participating when mine arrives later this month!

Apple fanboy
Jul 3, 2012, 11:38 AM

You can't convince your wife you need a new computer? Just blow her out of the water with geek stuff!
If that doesn't work do what I did. Take her to the apple store and show her the lovely looking iMac's. When she asks where is the tower, just explain no that's it, no tower, no extra wires. She was sold. Unfortunately that was back in February and they still haven't released it yet!
Roll on July 24th (hopefully)

ppilone
Jul 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
Agreed. The retina display on a phone makes perfect sense, it's tiny and you often hold it very close to your face. I've also seen a rMBP in the Apple store, and from a reasonable viewing distance you can't notice the extra pixel density. On an iMac (or any desktop for that matter) it's a complete waste of time unless you sit an unhealthy distance from the screen.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Upgrading my late 2008 MBP to the rMBP was a dramatic difference in screen quality and clarity. It's beyond noticeable when jumping back to my old laptop (which I still do as I slowly migrate files over to my new one) and working with text (think Xcode) is a dream.

The lack of glass panel also significantly improves the glare, which gives you the clarity of a glossy screen but the (almost) anti-glare of a matte display.

I can understand if your only experience is at an Apple store but if you really want to appreciate the difference sit it next to a previous MBP and switch back and forth.

akadmon
Jul 3, 2012, 11:42 AM

I went Mac Pro nearly 6 years ago and haven't missed a laptop once. Certainly not since the iPad came out. Just sold my old MP for nearly $1K. Try getting that for your rMBP in 6 years! Or a rIMac for that matter.

whooleytoo
Jul 3, 2012, 11:43 AM
it's not hard to sabotage a G5 ...

Strangely ironic post content, considering your username! ;)

derbladerunner
Jul 3, 2012, 11:43 AM
Unless the new iMacs do away with the glossy screens (I highly doubt that) I will pass and wait for the next Mac minis.

Unfortunately, no rumors there. So I will start my own rumor: How about upgraded Mac minis in the same timeframe?

Fingers crossed. I wouldn't want to wait until 2013 for new Mac minis.

It's always sad to see the mini is the second stepchild of the desktop line after the MacPro.

pmz
Jul 3, 2012, 11:46 AM
Unless the new iMacs do away with the glossy screens (I highly doubt that) I will wait for the next Mac minis.

Unfortunately, no rumors there. So I will start my own rumor: How about upgraded Mac minis in the same timeframe?

Fingers crossed. I would hate to wait for updated Mac minis until 2013.

LOL. Apple typically doesn't ruin their products when they update them, so no they won't be doing away with glossy displays. It was one of the best things they've ever done.

It will be even better when the new iMac displays get the same treatment as the New MacBook Pro received.

Treebs
Jul 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
This just in.
Chicago, Il

You're an idiot!!!

This waiting is getting very old. Why is it that Apple is the only company out there that can get away with this non shallont attitude. This wouldn't be happening if Steve were alive. He had a way of cracking the whip and making his employees do the impossible. Seeing that many of Apples un replaceable execs are starting to leave leads me to believe that perhaps they are losing faith in Tim Cook. I listened to an interview in which Steve Jobs stated that he was able to advance a product by as much as 3 months when nobody else at apple thought it was possible by psychologically dealing with every member of them team in a different way. It's a technique that Tim Cook is obviously unable to pull off. If he were pushing all the right buttons with the supply chain and his own design teams we would all have our new Macs.

I believe that whomever at Apple is responsible for the IMac line should be fired. Obviously he's not doing his job.

Yamcha
Jul 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah I think it's odd that the rumoured refresh is in October, I think it must be due to a complete redesign..

olowott
Jul 3, 2012, 11:50 AM
We Need More Power for our iMacs
Slim should be considered

i think he will slim down, they got what it takes

Retina & Non retina please

We aint all that Rich .......For now:D

derbladerunner
Jul 3, 2012, 11:51 AM
It will be even better when the new iMac displays get the same treatment as the New MacBook Pro received.

How is that possible with the 27'' model? Technically possible yes, but affordable for the iMac range?

Larger EIZO and Viewsonic 4k screens cost around 30k USD. I know Apple orders larger quantities and has better supplier prices, but I highly doubt costs will come down enough to put Retina displays in the iMac line.

For comparison, here are the EIZO and Viewsonic 4k monitors:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/duravision/fdh3601/ -> 30-35k USD

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/ -> costing "about the price of a car."

Maybe a 21.5'' Retina model is possible, but I really don't see it in the 27'' model for now (maybe in 2013 or 2014).

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 3, 2012, 11:56 AM
which is why they haven't release a notebook model with all . . .

oh wait.

Think of it this way. There are several notebook models that they can spread their eggs over time, but really only one iMac model to do this.

Treebs
Jul 3, 2012, 11:57 AM
I'm just pissed and want somebodys head on a stake. Apple really should make a formal statement about these BS claims of an October launch. I too have a wife that wants to upgrade now and I keep telling her just wait. She's getting to the point of telling me she will be buying one August 1 if they aren't out by then. At least if Apple formally announced that they will be updating in October I could get her to hold off. It's just wrong

ad2435
Jul 3, 2012, 12:00 PM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

they need to make the thing MORE user servicable than less user servicable.

brbrown1988
Jul 3, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm not buying it. There has been more conflicting rumors on the iMac than ever before. As frustrated as I am with Apple, listening to these rumors has drove me next to insane. Nothing like getting your hopes shattered on a weekly basis.

I simply can not convince myself to buy such an outdated machine for the full retail markup. I have jobs on hold, and now your telling me I have to wait three more months! Why!? Please explain. I get the holidays are coming, but like its been said 50+ times already, the hardware is available. ***k the retina. Its not necessary on a screen this large.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee355/brbrown1988/obama_kick.gif

On a side note, If iMacs are not released with mountain lion, will the current line up come with it already installed?

bedifferent
Jul 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
they need to make the thing MORE user servicable than less user servicable.

iMac's are a PITA to service. Before they started using desktops parts, the iMac's I worked on behind the bar were always a ***** to work on. Any time an iMac goes in for service, a business loses a system which is one reason why many design firms and businesses are moving away from iMac's and back to towers as they're quicker for on-site part swapping and upgrades.

beosound3200
Jul 3, 2012, 12:02 PM
How is that possible with the 27'' model? Technically possible yes, but affordable for the iMac range?

Larger EIZO and Viewsonic 4k screens cost around 30k USD. I know Apple orders larger quantities and has better supplier prices, but I highly doubt costs will come down enough to put Retina displays in the iMac line.

For comparison, here are the EIZO and Viewsonic 4k monitors:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/duravision/fdh3601/ -> 30-35k USD

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/viewsonic-vp3280-led-4k-monitor-hands-on/ -> costing "about the price of a car."

Maybe a 21.5'' Retina model is possible, but I really don't see it in the 27'' model for now (maybe in 2013 or 2014).

10bit

Treebs
Jul 3, 2012, 12:03 PM
Obviously not happening on July 3rd as the apple store is still up and running. It would have closed by now. Doubling down on secrecy is one of the stupidest things Tim Cook has said so far. Everybody reported damn near every detail about the MBPR before it came out. How about doubling down on honesty. I'd like that.

bedifferent
Jul 3, 2012, 12:03 PM
POTUS image

I love this so much! LOL Thanks :)

Marx55
Jul 3, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hopefully with matte display, at least as an option, even if more expensive. It is a health and productivity issue.

Aodhan
Jul 3, 2012, 12:10 PM
I hope the new iMacs are not Retina. We don't need anymore Retina, we have quite enough Retina now. I'd rather have excellent GPU performance. If they are thinner, I hope it is not at the expense of overall performance. I'd rather they stay the same thickness, and add in upgradeability and repairability. Apple is becoming guilty of form over function. Particularly with the MacBook Pro Retina. Let's not hope for the same thing with the iMacs.

gatortpk
Jul 3, 2012, 12:11 PM

Exactly my thoughts. My hope is that the new iMacs will sport 5120x2880 pixel displays, and that to me seems the only reason that the iMacs weren't updated at WWDC 2012. The new iMacs can have a much better discrete GPU that can handle the 14.7 Million Pixels better than the mobile GPU in the Retina MacBook Pro that just handles the 5 million pixels.

All the other components for a normal update, especially the Ivy Bridge CPUs are already available. (Along with USB 3.0 directly supported, and an HDMI port would be welcome, even though HDMI would only support 1080p external displays, a good fit for HDTVs anyway as well as inexpensive displays.)

The preview window in Final Cut Pro X could show a full 4K video on a Retina iMac with a little more extra free space than the full 1080p preview window on the rMBP!

X38
Jul 3, 2012, 12:17 PM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

I disagree completely.

No retina display - low power GPU's aren't capable enough yet. Retina MacBook is pretty disapointing performance so far at 15" screen, iMac size would be pathetic.

Solid state storage as an option or secondary boot drive only. The cost/capacity ratio of solid state is still absurd compared to hard drives. Acceptable for a small capacity secondary computer like a MacBook Air, but insane for a primary machine like I use my iMac. The whole point of an iMac is an uncluttered desk - I don't want to have to hang an extra external drive off a state of the art machine just to afford decent storage. OTOH, the smaller size & weight of solid state is immaterial in a iMac.

Definitely needs an internal optical drive. Still necessary from time to time and whole point of iMac is to be all in one. Again, the marginal size reduction from eliminating serves no purpose in an iMac.

No soldered RAM - same arguments as above.

Thunderbolt yes. Already there, but more better. USB3 should die - Thunderbolt adapter if really necessary. HDMI can use an Thunderbolt adapter if really be essary. Not all that useful in a desktop - makes more sense in the Mini.

No need to be thinner. Only if it doesn't reduce capability or increase price. Of aesthetic value only, if that.

Sorry, but your list makes sense only for a laptop, not a all-in-one desktop.

What I WOULD like to see is an internal PCI slot for adding bigger GPU cards. Thicker would be ok if they add this. If not, then an Apple branded external PCI chassis with Thunderbolt connection and OSX support for an external GPU. Same thing internal to the Thunderbolt displays would be nice too.

The main thing though is to get it out there NOW! My iMac G5 is running on fumes. Apple's product release cycle is getting pretty silly considering the resources they have these days.

----------

I hope the new iMacs are not Retina. We don't need anymore Retina, we have quite enough Retina now. I'd rather have excellent GPU performance. If they are thinner, I hope it is not at the expense of overall performance. I'd rather they stay the same thickness, and add in upgradeability and repairability. Apple is becoming guilty of form over function. Particularly with the MacBook Pro Retina. Let's not hope for the same thing with the iMacs.

Agree completely!!

HurtinMinorKey
Jul 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
Exactly my thoughts. My hope is that the new iMacs will sport 5120x2880 pixel displays, and that to me seems the only reason that the iMacs weren't updated at WWDC 2012.

...Because if you release all your new products on one day you get less press overall.

I don't think Apple will wait until October. They'll want to have a new version ready before the school year starts.

I'm pretty sure we'll see the update with Mountain Lion.

pmau
Jul 3, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'm more curious what they might do with making a larger Cinema Display model and even perhaps one with the power and frame rates to handle even 3d material cleanly. I'd take a 40 inch Retina 3d capable Cinema Display as a tv any day. With both thunderbolt and HDMI I could hook my computer and blu-ray to it as well as my Apple TV and be very happy.

The margin for iMacs is much larger than for the Cinema Display.
I think they'll go iMac first because they can sell them for more money.

I can also think of a smaller iMac being Retina, but I'd rather not buy any of those.

gatortpk

I'm for Retina iMacs. Apple does have plans to make everything Retina anyway, it's the next logical step.

Though, I do agree, we do not need a thinner or more mobile chipset iMac again. Keep the thickness, if it means upgradability to 32-64 GB RAM, a HDD, as well as a SSD, and a real desktop GPU as in the iMacs since 2009.

jlmcclellan
I don't put a lot of stock in digitimes rumors, but if there is no new iMac this month I'll be buying a new MacBook Pro instead, begrudgingly. Don't get me wrong, I love the MBP's and I need a new laptop but I need a new desktop more than I need a new laptop.

macUser2007
Jul 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
Apple really needs to get with the program on resolution independence.

Most people in my office are fighting over the old 24" iMacs.

Most complain that the 27" iMac strains their eyes, because the DPI is too small to be viewed comfortably, unless they stick their face in the screen.

Of course, the old 24" iMac have been discontinued for a while now, as have been the 24" Apple monitors.

Windows has supported resolution independence for ages.

I wish Apple would focus its resources on finally bringing features like this to the Mac, rather than on building a Mac OS "walled-garden" with things like the App Store.

carlgo
Jul 3, 2012, 12:21 PM
Does the new MBPr have less glare? Haven't been down to the store to see.

Always thought Jobs insisted on the glossy screen.

Bet that all Apple devices south of the Pro will be sealed and dealed, just like the new MBP.

Marketing will be directed at the new screens and SSD. Most people aren't lusting after more computer power so much these days.

You have to think the new Apple TV will feature a high def screen of some sort.

doobybiggs
Jul 3, 2012, 12:22 PM

Yes upgradeability is key.... I hate how they are becoming more and more non-upgradeable! It is ridiculous!

gatortpk
Jul 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
The margin for iMacs is much larger than for the Cinema Display.
I think they'll go iMac first because they can sell them for more money.

I can also think of a smaller iMac being Retina, but I'd rather not buy any of those.

I don't see Apple doing a Quad HD 21.5" iMac without doing a 5120x2880 pixel 27" iMac also.

That would be a terrible choice to make when purchasing, more pixels on a smaller machine, or a bigger screen (and more desktop space), but no improvement in display technology?

Moonjumper
Jul 3, 2012, 12:23 PM
Unless the new iMacs do away with the glossy screens (I highly doubt that) I will pass and wait for the next Mac minis.

I also hate the glossy screens, but I have had a go on a Retina MBP and it is a big improvement. I think I could live with it.

While playing with the rMBP, I tried the different resolution settings. The very high resolution allows the display to still look very clear while offering a choice of work areas. This has obvious benefits for laptop users who can expand their work space, but it would also be good on an iMac for those with poor eyesight who can have everything larger by reducing the work space. A much better solution than the accessibility options currently available.

EDIT: The quote below appear after I started writing my post. It backs up what I was saying about the advantages of being able to change the work space while maintaining quality using Retina.

Most complain that the 27" iMac strains their eyes, because the DPI is too small to be viewed comfortably, unless they stick their face in the screen.

RebelScum
Jul 3, 2012, 12:25 PM

Having seen a rMBP, yes, the text is sharper but as I generally don't have my face pressed to my laptop screen it's nowhere near as dramatic as with the iPhone 3-4 or even the iPad 2-3.

Web images are effectively 'uprezzed' and are arguably worse on retina. Photographs in iPhoto didn't seem dramatically improved.

THIS.

Retina on a mobile device? Yes please.

Retina on a laptop/desktop: I need a reason for this. IMHO, anyone working close enough to a laptop screen to be able to make out the pixels is doing it wrong.

The jump in image quality from the older matte LCD screens to the LED was monumental. This is...not.

12dylan34
Jul 3, 2012, 12:26 PM

Believe it or not, there are people that use computers for work that requires more power than a laptop can provide.

BornAgainMac
Jul 3, 2012, 12:26 PM
That Obama animated gif in this thread is a good match for how people feel about the delay. Apple predicts 90% of it's customers to be on laptops. I saw that in a Steve Jobs interview. Not updating the desktops will help achieve that goal. It would be nice if the iMacs were refreshed like the Macbook Pros this month.

G5isAlive
Jul 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
Strangely ironic post content, considering your username! ;)

well now, if you know how to keep them alive, you know how to kill them too wouldn't you say?

RebelScum
Jul 3, 2012, 12:28 PM
This just in.
Chicago, Il

You're an idiot!!!

This waiting is getting very old. Why is it that Apple is the only company out there that can get away with this non shallont attitude. This wouldn't be happening if Steve were alive. He had a way of cracking the whip and making his employees do the impossible. Seeing that many of Apples un replaceable execs are starting to leave leads me to believe that perhaps they are losing faith in Tim Cook. I listened to an interview in which Steve Jobs stated that he was able to advance a product by as much as 3 months when nobody else at apple thought it was possible by psychologically dealing with every member of them team in a different way. It's a technique that Tim Cook is obviously unable to pull off. If he were pushing all the right buttons with the supply chain and his own design teams we would all have our new Macs.

I believe that whomever at Apple is responsible for the IMac line should be fired. Obviously he's not doing his job.

Non Challont is great in garlic butter.

koolmagicguy
Jul 3, 2012, 12:31 PM

Several graphics cards out there could drive that amount of pixels sub-30fps. What you want is MORE than 30fps. :)

Yamcha
I don't think these claims hold any value.. I think It makes more sense for us to see new iMacs and Mac Mini's the day Mountain Lion is launched..

There doesn't seem to be any new hardware coming out either, Ivy-Bridge is already available, we have the latest offerings from Nvidia (Kepler) and AMD with the 7000 Series which were recently released..

The only thing I can think of is a possible redesign.. Retina display doesn't seem possible as we all already know that even with the Macbook Pro Retina, Apple is pushing the hardware boundaries, doesn't seem plausible at this time to have Retina displays on iMacs..

ericinboston
This just in:

Cupertino, CA:

Tim Cook states he is personally crushed by consumers buying a non-apple products.

Quote: We understand that not everybody is patient enough to wait for all the exciting items we have in the pipeline.

Although a funny reply, I and a lot of other people here are more than frustrated over Apple's extreme slowness in releasing Desktops in a timely fashion...especially this time 'round with almost a 2 year wait on the iMac.

And as others stated, I'm not paying the full, 100% price on July 3, 2012 that was the the same price 1.5 years ago on the exact same computer. Apple can find some other sucker.

gmanist1000
Jul 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
Interesting.

I currently have the 3.4GHz i7 model with 12GB of RAM and a AMD Radeon 6970m with the 2GB of VRAM. If this is a big update to the iMac, I might have to sell mine and try out the new ones :)

HurryKayne
Jul 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
Post corrected in respect of people so gentle to make me figure out how unable i was to talk with native people.
Thanks for the lesson.

gmanist1000
Jul 3, 2012, 12:41 PM
Although a funny reply, I and a lot of other people here are more than frustrated over Apple's extreme slowness in releasing Desktops in a timely fashion...especially this time 'round with almost a 2 year wait on the iMac.

Two year wait? It's only been a year and one month.

mcalevy
Jul 3, 2012, 12:44 PM
I believe this delay is about getting some of the old sandy bridge intel chips out of the pipeline. Has anybody besides me noticed, 1) Intel delayed the announcement of sandy bridge for that reason. 2) when one searches retailers and manufacturers they have very few computers with the 3rd gen chips available, and all are awesomely expensive. Tiger Direct has only 8 or 10 models available. I think Intel forced manufacturers to purchase huge quantities of sandy bridge to facilitate cash flow and to get discounts to be competitive. Nobody in the PC world can afford to dump a lot of outdated systems to get the new chips in the pipeline, they are already eating it in netbooks, and their profits are consistently down all across the board. Only apple is shipping their overpriced laptop toys in any quantity. I say that because my MacBook pro just died after 4 years, cost me more than $500 a year. I replaced it with a $400 17" AMD A6 and my iPad. It's amazing how close one can match the functionality of a Mac with windows 7. And btw, Microsoft now offers free malware protection, malware does not seem to be the problem it was a couple of years ago, and yes, I have cleaned up a thousand PC's in my day.

X38
Jul 3, 2012, 12:46 PM
I probably won't buy another Mac until they offer better GPUs. I want to get rid of my PC, but can't do that with their out-of-date (and highly overpriced) "upgrades" for my Mac Pro. I'll stick it out with my 3,1 until it turns into dust and game on my custom system. I just want a card that's mildly comprable to what's on the market.

GPU selection is definitely Apple's weak point across the line, especially since they have no low end systems with PCI expansion. Thunderbolt should have been able to fix this, but they are really dragging their feet on getting OSX to support external GPU's over TB. Stupidly pathetic that this can be done in Windows running under Boot Camp on a Mac, but not in OSX on the same machine. And how hard can it be to build an external PCI chassis? Should have been available as soon as TB machine were out.

JGowan
Jul 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
I wants an 27" iMac with Retina!!!!!

hexx
Jul 3, 2012, 12:49 PM
I wants an 27" iMac with Retina!!!!!

so get the current one and sit 1m away from it - problem solved

Tankmaze
Jul 3, 2012, 12:53 PM

well, if you look at the iphone 5 rumors. they launch with the same design on october and it is rumored that apple can't make the thin & 4 inch because of production troubles, so i'm guessing if on october we don't see the retina imac, apple are going with plan b, which is cpu/gpu upgrade, usb3 and new thunderbolt chip using the same imac design.

-LikesMac-
Jul 3, 2012, 01:00 PM
A Retina Display on an iMac simply wouldn't work well given the type of GPUs that are usually used on the iMac. Although, if Apple offered an External GPU utilizing one of the high-end cards in the market....:rolleyes:

Rebel Hedgehog
Jul 3, 2012, 01:06 PM
Sick of apples games. Will be ordering a 27" iMac this week.

Flood123
Jul 3, 2012, 01:12 PM

Give it till the end of the month if you can. If you can't wait and NEED one, the current model is a beautiful computer. If you view this as Apple playing games, you might be doing what they want by getting frustrated and helping them clear their old stock. Either way you decide to go you will have a wonderful new iMac waiting for you.

xgman
Jul 3, 2012, 01:15 PM
Everything Apple does lately seems to be slow, late and out of date! Money sitting ready to buy an "updated" Mac Pro, iMac, iphone 5 and all I have to do is wait, and wait and wait.......

heisetax
Jul 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
As Apple has turned itself into an iToy company about the only Macs that they seem interested in is the smaller laptops. The 17" laptop was cut because it was too big to be small & pretty. The Mac Pro has gone longer than the iMac without a change. It is now 2 years since the Mac Pro was updated so the iMac has a long time to go before that happens.

With the above info does this mean that the iMac is just treading water like the Mac Pro is? Will the Mac Pro update ever happen? Because this is a rumor about the iMac the question is really is the iMac EOL, will it be carried on on life support like the Mac Pro, or they just get rid of it? A 27" TV resolution screen while 10% shorter than a 16:10 computer screen is is really too big to ever be small & pretty. With Apple's current warped viewpoint when it comes to the use of small & pretty over making the size be big enough to make the best computer that can be made.

I buy my Macs inspite of their shortcomings not because of them. A couple of weeks ago I purchased 2 new 17" Mac laptops. I had to pay new prices even though they have last generation parts. It seems that small & pretty doesn't include the 17" model. So while I feel for those of you that what or need a new iMac or Mac Mini for that part I have little to look forward too. No new 17" so thus no ve iMac.

urbanlung
Jul 3, 2012, 01:18 PM
This all seems like speculation, unless someone gives me some straight facts right now I'm hold my breath till my eyes bleed damnit!

xgman
Jul 3, 2012, 01:19 PM
If you view this as Apple playing games

They aren't playing games, they are ignoring a smaller market segment that is quickly becoming a niche segment.

----------

With the above info does this mean that the iMac is just treading water like the Mac Pro is?

Yes, exactly. tread water until you can ween everyone on to portables.

akbarali.ch
Jul 3, 2012, 01:21 PM

Seriously, I'm too sick of it. I even sold my Macmini to get imac.

As Apple PR confirmed that iMac wont be redesigned in 2013 only MacPro, in that case iMac should either get redesigned with Retina in October or get a minor bump next month with Mountain Lion.
I dont see anything else fit. Theres no point for apple waiting till october to get minor bump or release retina as early as next month, it seems next to impossible.
They also cant do minor update now and then 3 months down the line update it with Retina....

anyone else can deciper these things.....its getting crazy....

racer1441
Jul 3, 2012, 01:22 PM

You have more disposable income with out the wife.

urbanlung
Jul 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
As Apple has turned itself into an iToy company about the only Macs that they seem interested in is the smaller laptops. The 17" laptop was cut because it was too big to be small & pretty. The Mac Pro has gone longer than the iMac without a change. It is now 2 years since the Mac Pro was updated so the iMac has a long time to go before that happens.

With the above info does this mean that the iMac is just treading water like the Mac Pro is? Will the Mac Pro update ever happen? Because this is a rumor about the iMac the question is really is the iMac EOL, will it be carried on on life support like the Mac Pro, or they just get rid of it? A 27" TV resolution screen while 10% shorter than a 16:10 computer screen is is really too big to ever be small & pretty. With Apple's current warped viewpoint when it comes to the use of small & pretty over making the size be big enough to make the best computer that can be made.

I buy my Macs inspite of their shortcomings not because of them. A couple of weeks ago I purchased 2 new 17" Mac laptops. I had to pay new prices even though they have last generation parts. It seems that small & pretty doesn't include the 17" model. So while I feel for those of you that what or need a new iMac or Mac Mini for that part I have little to look forward too. No new 17" so thus no ve iMac.

Well you'd be a bit of a fool if you bought anything because of it's shortcomings.:)

iMcLovin
Jul 3, 2012, 01:24 PM
if this is real news they suck. I choose to believe its bogus info and we have a regular imac with updated gpu and cpu with mountain lion. Screw retina iMac - it needs to be so awesome to be a better option that I hope Apple have the patience to wait a couple of years.

xgman
Jul 3, 2012, 01:26 PM

It is pretty clear that Apple is slowly spacing out the updates longer and longer to minimize their costs and just address a dwindling marketplace until they can finally dump it altogether. A market segment that anyone else would be happy to have by the way. It's just that Apple makes so much money now on iDevices and portables, they don't really need the desktop market, so they do the absolute minimum to get by. Anyone who thinks otherwise is really deceiving themselves in my opinion.

InfoTime
Jul 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
All I want is an HDMI in/out port. So disappointed that I can't use my 2011 iMac's gorgeous screen to display ANYTHING other than what's on the computer, and information from another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac.Wait, what? I've got a 2009 model 27" iMac and use the DisplayPort output from a PC to drive my iMac as a display when I'm gaming.

I remember asking someone at the Apple Store about the new model's capability for this, but they didn't even think that my iMac could do this or knew what Target Display Mode was. :rolleyes:

Can the current iMacs use Target Display Mode with a DisplayPort input like I'm doing now?

Flood123
They aren't playing games, they are ignoring a smaller market segment that is quickly becoming a niche segment.

I do not disagree with you on the games part. I don't think they are "ignoring" anyone either though. I was just stating that if they feel like games are being played,...

I am trying to find a reason to not agree with them weening people off of desktops, but that is one way of perceiving things for sure. The phrase "post pc era" and then these delays. Makes ya wonder if that IS their corporate strategy.

There is always a reason for delays. Whatever they may be. They have a strategy for their business. The new Desktops have not been released for some reason that we are not privy to. Can these delays be frustrating? The answer to that is yes. However, I don't feel it is apples goal to frustrate its user base. Let's just keep our fingers crossed for a refresh that will satisfy folks so they don't feel like they waited in vain.

dr Dunkel

If that is what you want, then get another PC :D

Performance at this "retina" resolution will be crap. Just look at the performance of the current models...

MDMac
Jul 3, 2012, 01:32 PM
It's disheartening to see so many people turning away the possibility of a Retina display on the new iMacs. There is a very noticeable difference in clarity when I look at my 27" ATD and my rMBP. When dealing with very large photos and high resolution video, a large, dense screen becomes very attractive thing. I see this as a logical step ... albeit long overdue.

I don't see why Apple can't offer a Retina iMac as an addition to its current lineup. The Retina display has its uses. I don't think people should turn their noses up at the possibility of one just because it doesn't suit their needs/wants.

marcusj0015
Jul 3, 2012, 01:33 PM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

It will definitely have removable RAM, and USB 3 and Thunderbolt are obvious. HDMI possibly, and It may be thinner, but it won't be much, and IDK about the optical drive.

JHankwitz
Jul 3, 2012, 01:33 PM
Apple is obsessed with making everything and anything thinner.
Yes, an obsession without basis. There's no logical reason for making the iMac any thinner. Also, we need at least one computer with an optical drive.

hexx
Jul 3, 2012, 01:36 PM
It's disheartening to see so many people turning away the possibility of a Retina display on the new iMacs. There is a very noticeable difference in clarity when I look at my 27" ATD and my rMBP. When dealing with very large photos and high resolution video, a large, dense screen becomes very attractive thing. I see this as a logical step ... albeit long overdue.

I don't see why Apple can't offer a Retina iMac as an addition to its current lineup. The Retina display has its uses. I don't think people should turn their noses up at the possibility of one just because it doesn't suit their needs/wants.

'retina' display yes, but not double the resolution. current 27" iMac is close to that. You don't need 200+ppi for a desktop screen, you don't sit 40cm from it, more like 1m.

marcusj0015
Jul 3, 2012, 01:37 PM
Deleted.

InfoTime
Jul 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking there's a good possibility they'll use the same SSD form factor that is in the rMBP. That would likely increase performance, reduce cost and make the overall design smaller or make room for other components. That could explain why it wasn't released with everything else. Maybe they couldn't get enough of the drives to ship both products at once. The only reason to build SSD products that look like hard drives is to make them compatible and / or easily serviceable. Neither of which Apple has ever been overly concerned with. :D

marcusj0015
Jul 3, 2012, 01:44 PM
I know I'm dreaming now, but I hope Apple goes crazy and builds in 2x GTX670 or (even better) 2x GTX680. On the high-end models with retina-display. :)

You ARE aware that iMacs use MOBILE GPUs right?

----------

I am not married but when I do so, if I want a ****ing $3000 iMac and it is with my hard earned money, I would buy it without consulting anybody!

I actually agree with him... if I want something, I'll buy it with my goddamn money.

----------

it's not hard to sabotage a G5 ... starting with why not just scramble the HD?

Just trying to be helpful.

Why doesn't he just be a man, stop letting his wife wear the pants, and buy a new computer? Trying to sneak around and sabotage **** like you're a prisoner of war.

JustMartin
Jul 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously, I'm too sick of it. I even sold my Macmini to get imac.

As Apple PR confirmed that iMac wont be redesigned in 2013 only MacPro, in that case iMac should either get redesigned with Retina in October or get a minor bump next month with Mountain Lion.
I dont see anything else fit. Theres no point for apple waiting till october to get minor bump or release retina as early as next month, it seems next to impossible.
They also cant do minor update now and then 3 months down the line update it with Retina....

Not quite. Tim Cook first said that there would be no iMac or MacPro releases this year, but there was some great stuff coming in 2013. Then, an Apple spokesperson said that there would be an iMac update in 2012. They did not say that there would be no redesigned iMac in 2013.

marcusj0015
Jul 3, 2012, 01:46 PM
I rather they also released a new 27-30/32 inch monitor with USB2/3, FW, TB, and I don't care for any retina, nor a new iToy.

You know an iMac technically is an iToy...

SBlue1
Jul 3, 2012, 01:48 PM
Bluray anyone? :cool:

superpalmtree
Jul 3, 2012, 01:49 PM
Why doesn't he just be a man, stop letting his wife wear the pants, and buy a new computer? Trying to sneak around and sabotage **** like you're a prisoner of war.[/QUOTE]

LMAO --- HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH

Sodner
Jul 3, 2012, 01:53 PM

GPU's are dying trying to push graphics on the rMBP. I don't think the technology is available (in all-in-one size) to push the pixels on a 27" retina screen. IMHO a riMac is not happening this year.

AlexJaye
Jul 3, 2012, 01:55 PM
Pure money grabbing. It doesn't take that much effort to update the internals to a more modern machine. Apple is killing my desire to even get an iMac with this ridiculous waiting game. My white MacBook may be sticking around for a bit longer than planned.

DrRadon
Jul 3, 2012, 01:59 PM
IŽed just like to update my 2008 iMac without paying a year old price on a year old product. Hello Apple? Pretty please!

BobCollins
Jul 3, 2012, 02:16 PM

I wish that I could up vote this 20 times.

Jbach67
Jul 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, an obsession without basis. There's no logical reason for making the iMac any thinner. Also, we need at least one computer with an optical drive.

Hear, hear!! Actually, thinner makes a lot of sense for iPads, Airs, and MBPs as it serves a very useful function in terms of portability and in-hand uses. But once we got the current LCD iMac forms, the AIO has dramatically reduced the desktop footprint. You could reduce the footprint a bit more by reengineering the support pad, but without that, making the main compartment thinner wouldn't help at all.

If the compromises made on the retinal MBP and air are any guide, you have to give up some function to get the advantages of thinness for portable models. These include dropping the optical drive as well as the ability for users or ordinary local Computer shops to repair or upgrade RAM and drives (to say nothing of batteries, which aren't relevant to desktops). For me, an extra half inch off of an iMac just isn't' worth going to an AIO that removes the optical drive (and a desktop optical add on increases the total footprint) and makes simple RAM or SSD upgrades/repairs something that involves living near an apple store or mailing it away.

A half inch thinner doesn't do all that much for footprint. I don't think hanging it on a wall (one reason for thin and flat) is likely to be as a popular option, as you can't adjust viewing height, distance, or angles for various users. So the main reason for thin on a desktop, unlike portables, is aesthetic. Give me at least the same or better function over minor aesthetic changes. If Apple can make a thinner iMac that maintains the optical drive (I'll need at least one for the foreseeable future) and continues user replaceable RAM and drives, I'm all for it. But don't take away function just to make it prettier.

vmachiel
Jul 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
We'll probably get a spec bump with ivy-bridge, faster ram, new geforce 6xxm graphics. When they do decide to do a retina version, they'll keep the old one around and price the new one way too high, just like the MBP:)

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 3, 2012, 02:20 PM
Also, we need at least one computer with an optical drive.

No, we don't. Physical media is pretty much dead and no new computers will come standard with an optical drive two years from now.

People said the same thing when they started to get rid of the floppy drive. "We need at least one computer with a floppy drive." Look where it is now.

apolloa
Jul 3, 2012, 02:25 PM
"Now, a new report from DigiTimes" ............you know to stop reading the article and move on at this point.....

willcapellaro
Jul 3, 2012, 02:29 PM

Surely you jest. I actually could see this, but as a 3rd party attachment using repurposed novelty suspenders. Could be rare situation where Apple would sue its actual customers.

What is this Cinema Display of which you speak? Something from the not so recent past or future? (Typed on a MBP connected to a ACD)

bungiefan89
Jul 3, 2012, 02:31 PM
Can the current iMacs use Target Display Mode with a DisplayPort input like I'm doing now?Unfortunately, no they can't. :(
This is because the only ports for of video connections on the iMac is the thunderbolt. That means a couple of things:
1) The 2011 iMac's screen can be used in Target Display Mode to show information from a connected thunderbolt-equipped mac like one of the more recent MBAs or MBPs. Supposedly this means TDM will also work with other thunderbolt-equipped devices, but since those are in such short supply today, it doesn't really matter very much.
2) The 2011 iMacs can output through Display Port to other devices. One of my iMac's Thunderbolt ports usually has a Display Port-DVI adapter in it which I use to connect an external display to my computer. It works fine in terms of backwards compatibility with Display Port in that direction but...
3) ...Thunderbolt ports simply will not accept a Display Port input.

So, yeah, that's why I'm hoping the 2012 iMacs support HDMI in/out ports. I don't just want to hook this machine up to other devices, I also want to be able to use it as a screen for OTHER things, like perhaps a Blu-Ray player, or a game console, or someone else's computer. It seems such a waste to have such a big, beautiful computer screen like the one on the 2011 iMacs be so severely crippled from a lack of input compatibility.

willcapellaro
Jul 3, 2012, 02:37 PM
No, we don't. Physical media is pretty much dead and no new computers will come standard with an optical drive two years from now.

People said the same thing when they started to get rid of the floppy drive. "We need at least one computer with a floppy drive." Look where it is now.

Agree in principle. Apple is perpetually in the role of harbinger-of-extinction/evolution. However, with an iMac it is harder to argue that they needed the space. But, space is space, parts are parts, and if it offset the cost of a Retina bump I'd happily forswear the rare optical media. For users that need to use discs, the SuperDrive exists.

"Now Without Lettuce"

http://frankensteinsninja.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/simpson-ribwich.jpg?w=450

BenniG
Jul 3, 2012, 02:40 PM
October......mmmhhhh.....close to windows8 release date....must be either something great or the rumor is nonsense.

KdParker
Jul 3, 2012, 02:46 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you. Upgrading my late 2008 MBP to the rMBP was a dramatic difference in screen quality and clarity. It's beyond noticeable when jumping back to my old laptop (which I still do as I slowly migrate files over to my new one) and working with text (think Xcode) is a dream.

The lack of glass panel also significantly improves the glare, which gives you the clarity of a glossy screen but the (almost) anti-glare of a matte display.

I can understand if your only experience is at an Apple store but if you really want to appreciate the difference sit it next to a previous MBP and switch back and forth.

Agreed....especially if you are moving from a 13" in. mbp

iMacFarlane
Jul 3, 2012, 02:53 PM
Apple needs to wow everybody with these, whenever they are released. In my opinion, the wow factor is very low with retina, at a huge cost/performance loss. They'll wow me by simply providing SSD for the OS, and HDD for storage volume, standard. That'll be a big thing. It's as if they keep making faster and faster cars but our county only has dirt roads. Everyone will poke around at the same speed (Kia and Ferrari alike) until we get some proper infrastructure.

SSD+HDD, screw retina!

Madmats
Jul 3, 2012, 02:54 PM
Well, I'm glad I didn't wait if this turns out to be true.

thekev
Jul 3, 2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe if there was a retina display, hopefully, just hopefully, they would SLI/crossfire a couple of high-end mobile GPUs or find a way to cool some high-end GPUs in order to accommodate such a high density.

OSX doesn't support SLI configurations, so the necessary work to implement such a thing would be greater. It would also increase the cost given the need to accommodate 2 gpus and the expense of the parts themselves. I haven't seen an imac logic board in some time, but I remember the gpus using an embedded design.This would make it virtually impossible to fit more than one due to restrictions in logic board space.

It depends on the maximum size they can produce displays that can be branded as "retina". I realize Apple left themselves a considerable amount of leeway here.

When do they ever make multiple releases in the same generation? Last year was a bump to slightly faster versions of the same thing. They were drop-in components, and Ivy Bridge had been delayed.

Why in the name of Woz does it have to be very, very thin?
It will compromise it's performance even more.
Soldered ram? Please, just stop it. :mad:
What is wrong with people?

People want to think they understand and can relate to Apple or any other multi billion dollar company:rolleyes:. It's too silly for words.

I'm not convinced the form factor matters much here in actual use. Such changes would just be for the sake of making changes. It's just a way of attracting attention. They did have a $1000 imac at one point. I don't see that coming back. The mini and 11" Air are occupying that pricing tier. Apple also had a $2300 dual package mac pro. That is also unlikely to return.

You have no idea if both work or just one. You don't know how responsibilities are divided, and you don't know their financial situation. Perhaps you should simply decline to comment.

I went Mac Pro nearly 6 years ago and haven't missed a laptop once. Certainly not since the iPad came out. Just sold my old MP for nearly $1K. Try getting that for your rMBP in 6 years! Or a rIMac for that matter.

I'm surprised you got that much for a 1,1. I don't think the oldest ones are worth that, but someone obviously disagreed with me as they paid for it.

iMac's are a PITA to service. Before they started using desktops parts, the iMac's I worked on behind the bar were always a ***** to work on. Any time an iMac goes in for service, a business loses a system which is one reason why many design firms and businesses are moving away from iMac's and back to towers as they're quicker for on-site part swapping and upgrades.

The 27" imacs are Apple's way of locking in a high starting price point on the model. They aren't a great concept for commercial use.

GPU selection is definitely Apple's weak point across the line, especially since they have no low end systems with PCI expansion. Thunderbolt should have been able to fix this, but they are really dragging their feet on getting OSX to support external GPU's over TB. Stupidly pathetic that this can be done in Windows running under Boot Camp on a Mac, but not in OSX on the same machine. And how hard can it be to build an external PCI chassis? Should have been available as soon as TB machine were out.

Thunderbolt gpus are still an awkward solution at best, and OSX would have to support both the implementation and the card itself. I'm not very optimistic on this one.

xgman
Jul 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
"Now, a new report from DigiTimes" ............you know to stop reading the article and move on at this point.....

But macrumors doesn't usually create rumors, they just report them That is after all the point of the site right? It's not Macfacts.com. I see so many people getting so mad at every rumor. Remember, they are just rumors!!

JayLenochiniMac
Jul 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
Agree in principle. Apple is perpetually in the role of harbinger-of-extinction/evolution. However, with an iMac it is harder to argue that they needed the space. But, space is space, parts are parts, and if it offset the cost of a Retina bump I'd happily forswear the rare optical media. For users that need to use discs, the SuperDrive exists.

They won't be getting rid of it in order to save space so that argument is moot. Space saving is a bonus but not the real reason. Everybody will be downloading stuff from the iTunes and App stores as well as online.

ppilone
Jul 3, 2012, 03:22 PM
Apple needs to wow everybody with these, whenever they are released. In my opinion, the wow factor is very low with retina, at a huge cost/performance loss. They'll wow me by simply providing SSD for the OS, and HDD for storage volume, standard. That'll be a big thing. It's as if they keep making faster and faster cars but our county only has dirt roads. Everyone will poke around at the same speed (Kia and Ferrari alike) until we get some proper infrastructure.

SSD+HDD, screw retina!

What, exactly, are some of the cost/performances losses between the base rMBP and base MBP?

CplBadboy
Jul 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
Reading the report on the GPU suffering performance on the RMBP Im not that keen on a RiMac.

Just a question though does the GPU performance of the RMBP improve if Retina mode is changed to scaling mode say at 1650 x 1050???

Would really like to see a 30" too!

HurryKayne
Jul 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
Then why wasting time to make me know how bad i am,maybe my english is very bad but i don't tend to insult people for things like this.
I apologize for all the mess i made writing here,wasn't my real intentions.
I leave,even because,to be honest ,all this talking around just nothing is useless.

Thunderhawks
Jul 3, 2012, 04:04 PM

And as others stated, I'm not paying the full, 100% price on July 3, 2012 that was the the same price 1.5 years ago on the exact same computer. Apple can find some other sucker.

I don't get why people get upset and criticize when Apple doesn't do things on their personal schedule.

Exaggerated expectations will always lead to frustration when not met.
Be that for technical specs , price or whatever.

Anybody who has had Apple products has plenty of info that they operate on their own "APPLE" schedule and they don't even care about current what consumers want, what competitors release or the latest available technologies and specs.

Since we are not working at Apple in the iMac division we have no knowledge about what they are planning.
Besides component availability in quantity and at prices they deem okay, there could be marketing reasons, new designs being tested etc.

The computer market still moves so fast that any buyer should ask themselves what do I want my equipment to do right now (if you can't wait) and what is the best equipment to do this with.

If the product available at the time doesn't do that, buy the equipment that does.

So, if the current iMac line up does what you need it to do , buy one from the refurb store at reduced prices.

If it doesn't buy the DELL you think is better and will fit your need.

Trying to outwait manufacturers will surely lead to frustration, same as Apple's complaining about incremental upgrades without the latest specs spec-hounds crave.

Even if you are able to outwait them, rest assured that when the product gets into your hands it's old technology.

It's just like a car which loses it's value when you drive it off the lot!

Not everything Apple does makes sense.

I find it funny that they announce Mountain Lion for $ 19 for a July release
with no restriction from and they still have Lion and Snow Leopard for sale at $ 29 in the app store.

Not bank breaking $$, just quirky.

threesixty360
Jul 3, 2012, 04:10 PM
I think a retina IMac is more feasible than the mac book pro. The Imac doesnt have heat problems as its bigger and can have better cooling so putting in a monster graphics card to drive the display cant be a big problem.

I'm not sure about how easy it is to make a screen that size but the big LCD companies must be doing them by now. That coupled with a less reflective ips display is gonna be a big deal, especially as iMacs are used a lot in creative departments and the reflective screen isnt great.

The reality is it doesnt even matter whether Retina is "practical" or not, its a major selling point for a premium product. The retina branding sells machines and it also separates Mac from PC's in a bigger way than ever before.

You CANT run full 1080p in a window in any video editor on a Windows machine. You cant have a mixed mode where some UI elements use double the pixels on a WIndows machine at all. Their arent many things that both OS's cant do but this is one of them and one I expect Apple to exploit in all its apps. After all, the game is about selling these expensive boxes!

Fandongo
Jul 3, 2012, 04:19 PM
October huh?

Take it away, Hugh Laurie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AvMUR_XMlg)

--The Apple anthem.

Hexley
Jul 3, 2012, 04:28 PM
Look up "Early 2011" and "Late 2011" Macbook Pro.

And by Apple's definition retina display models are separate from the mainstream.

If ever Apple were to make a Retina display iMac it would at most have 4K resolution.

When do they ever make multiple releases in the same generation? Last year was a bump to slightly faster versions of the same thing. They were drop-in components, and Ivy Bridge had been delayed.

F4C4
Jul 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
So do you guys think Apple will change the design this time?

I think the iMac has a pretty nice form factor, but there's always a way to make it different/new...

I would like to see anti-glare glass and maybe side ports (USB 3, TB) instead of the current connections on the back...

Nova Sensei
Jul 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
Digitimes rumors should not be page 1 worthy...

Lancer
Jul 3, 2012, 05:17 PM
I can only assume IF they make a retina iMac in 2012 it will be like the MBP, a NEW model in the range. I don't want my 27" crippled by too many pixels and no DVD. That said I'd love to option of a matte screen on the iMac.

Still hoping out hope for later this month for the Ivy Bridge refresh of the iMac line.

Rogifan
Jul 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
Must be a slow news day when MR is quoting DigiTimes. :rolleyes:

Flood123
Jul 3, 2012, 05:50 PM
Then why wasting time to make me know how bad i am,maybe my english is very bad but i don't tend to insult people for things like this.
I apologize for all the mess i made writing here,wasn't my real intentions.
I leave,even because,to be honest ,all this talking around just nothing is useless.

Don't worry about your English being perfect. Practice makes perfect my friend. Don't let those kinda posts get you down. I can guarantee your English is better than their best attempt at your native tongue. Keep on posting.;)

thekev
Jul 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
Look up "Early 2011" and "Late 2011" Macbook Pro.

And by Apple's definition retina display models are separate from the mainstream.

If ever Apple were to make a Retina display iMac it would at most have 4K resolution.

4k is really kind of a buzz word at the moment, although it's entirely feasible in the future. I'm just not sure how long that will take as I haven't followed developments very closely on this. I'm aware of early and late 2011 models. I referenced them in my reply saying that they were drop-in upgrades. They were essentially identical versions clocked slightly higher in both cpu and gpu upgrades. The low end 15" also received more vram. This was a very minor bump offered by intel because ivy bridge was still pretty far out. If the current generation could have hit stores by February 2012, it's entirely possible that Apple would have foregone those spec bumps entirely. Actually right now if you specifically need a powerful laptop on a budget, the models from last year are not bad options due to the price drops. It could be different if you do a lot of bootcamp gaming or require CUDA.

http://www.barefeats.com/aecs6.html

I noticed OpenCL has yet to make it to a lot of After Effects functions. It's kind of awkward and jumbled. After Effects has that, yet PS uses quite a bit of OpenCL which isn't properly supported on the Quadro 4k. Apple has a long way to go with gpu support.

iSayuSay
Jul 3, 2012, 06:33 PM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

A computer can only be very thin OR very powerful. Anything in between would mean compromise.

iMac has been a barely powerful desktop in graphic department. Radeon 6970m was a mid GPU in desktop world. If they're going to make it even thinner by compromising with less GPU power, no RAM slot etc, I'd better get MBA & ATD.

I bought imac because of powahhh, not sleek looks of rMBP. It's the least thing I'd consider for my desktop.

There's no need for a very thin desktop. They can make it marginally thinner so it can be powerful. Maybe if there was a retina display, hopefully, just hopefully, they would SLI/crossfire a couple of high-end mobile GPUs or find a way to cool some high-end GPUs in order to accommodate such a high density.

I dont know, but I'd rather have one desktop GPU -say GTX680- than dual mobile GPU, it would be still more efficient I think, and I had a few issues with gaming on dual GPUs in the past.

Still happy though my 2011 iMac has the longest life cycle of all, it can keep its "newness" for so long, didn't expect this to happen, but wow.

Macintown
Jul 3, 2012, 06:54 PM
I went to the Apple store yesterday to buy a new 27" iMac. They told me not to do it and winked when they said I should wait 5 weeks. :D

hamkor04
Jul 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
oo god's sake do not play with our feelings
just update it without any "too much"

Flood123
Jul 3, 2012, 07:57 PM
I went to the Apple store yesterday to buy a new 27" iMac. They told me not to do it and winked when they said I should wait 5 weeks. :D

I've never known of a case where an Apple store employee knew of an upcoming release 5 weeks in advance. Nevertheless I hope we see SOMETHING sooner rather than later.

Macclone
Jul 3, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm just pissed and want somebodys head on a stake. Apple really should make a formal statement about these BS claims of an October launch. I too have a wife that wants to upgrade now and I keep telling her just wait. She's getting to the point of telling me she will be buying one August 1 if they aren't out by then. At least if Apple formally announced that they will be updating in October I could get her to hold off. It's just wrong

Go to an Apple store this weekend and see all the people buying Apple laptops and desktops. That is why there is no hurry to upgrade and certainly no reason to announce something that may hurt sales. It is smart business sense.

----------

If the new iMac doesn't fold down and let me use it as a big touch screen, I am going to buy a Windows 8 PC.

Just kidding, Windows 8 is a POS.

----------

You have more disposable income with out the wife.

Hookers are pricey these days.

InfoTime
Jul 3, 2012, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately, no they can't. :(
This is because the only ports for of video connections on the iMac is the thunderbolt. That means a couple of things:
1) The 2011 iMac's screen can be used in Target Display Mode to show information from a connected thunderbolt-equipped mac like one of the more recent MBAs or MBPs. Supposedly this means TDM will also work with other thunderbolt-equipped devices, but since those are in such short supply today, it doesn't really matter very much.
2) The 2011 iMacs can output through Display Port to other devices. One of my iMac's Thunderbolt ports usually has a Display Port-DVI adapter in it which I use to connect an external display to my computer. It works fine in terms of backwards compatibility with Display Port in that direction but...
3) ...Thunderbolt ports simply will not accept a Display Port input.

So, yeah, that's why I'm hoping the 2012 iMacs support HDMI in/out ports. I don't just want to hook this machine up to other devices, I also want to be able to use it as a screen for OTHER things, like perhaps a Blu-Ray player, or a game console, or someone else's computer. It seems such a waste to have such a big, beautiful computer screen like the one on the 2011 iMacs be so severely crippled from a lack of input compatibility.That sucks! I built a gaming PC last year and went through a lot of hell getting a card that worked properly outputting DisplayPort to the iMac (hint, almost nothing in the Radeon 5xxx line). It works great now. I thought I'd buy the next iMac since mine will be almost three years old and AppleCare will run out. They'll need a little more than a few USB 3 ports, Thunderbolt and a decent SSD to get me to budge.

Jul 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's amazing how some people can be so naive in forums like this. NO, iMacs will not get a retina display for the following reasons:

- FIRSTLY, because iMacs ARE ALREADY retina displays. On the basis of Apple's marketing definition for "retina", which is the possibility for a user to distinguish individual pixels from a normal viewing distance, there is absolutely no need to have a 5120 x 2880 resolution unless you use it as an oversized iPad;

- SECONDLY, because at Apple form trumps functionality. Therefore, you will NOT see a thin iMac carrying a furnace-like GPU to power such a display. It's NOT going to happen.

In the light of the above, what will happen then?

1 - updated iMacs with the usual less-than-exciting bumps such as USB 3, more RAM and HD and perhaps backlit keys;

2 - at a later stage and following SJ's passing, you're finally going to see the launch of the fabled xMac (as a new, entry-level minitower released alongside new Mac Pros), with the possibility to drive retina screens without hiccups and use much better GPUs without the iMac's space constraints.

wilycoder
Jul 3, 2012, 09:21 PM
I really do not see the purpose of retina on imac.

I've got a 27 imac and the res is more than adequate at normal viewing distances.

drumrobot
Jul 3, 2012, 09:47 PM
But waiting 500+ days to update a computer seems like they're leaving revenue on the table. Most of those in the know are waiting, waiting waiting.
Fully agree. I've been waiting since the last one came out (decided to wait for the next version) and I'm disappointed to see that they haven't released one yet. Whenever I see someone buying an iMac at the Apple Retail Store, I'm always tempted to run up to them and tell them how old it is in front of the sales clerk.:D

AidenShaw
Jul 3, 2012, 10:11 PM
Whenever I see someone buying an iMac at the Apple Retail Store, I'm always tempted to run up to them and tell them how old it is in front of the sales clerk.:D

How much time do you spend in Apple stores, and why? :confused:

Or do you work in one, and suffer great conflicts?

ctdonath
Jul 3, 2012, 10:34 PM
How much time do you spend in Apple stores, and why? :confused:

For me, the Apple store is in a mall near my workplace. I eat lunch at the mall once a week, and the Apple store is easy to drop into and enjoy gawking at what I want to get next.

ljocampo
Jul 3, 2012, 10:38 PM

Shhhhheeeeeeez, Apple.

So you want us to switch to Windoze??? Ain't going to happen. You are not a Mac person. I bet you have an Android phone too!

gatortpk
Jul 3, 2012, 11:35 PM

Shhhhheeeeeeez, Apple.

If you're really a Mac user, and you've liked using OS X, then, NO, you're not going to buy a Windows machine just because the Mac Desktop updates are just around the corner.

(In other words, if you just bought a Windows machine, then it's likely that's what you've been using. If not, then you'll likely got back to OS X soon enough anyway. More computers, more money.)

Remember, Macs don't need hardware updates as often as PCs because they're usually faster to start with (hence the extra expense). Macs do get software updates far more often. I am referring to major OS changes (generally). It appears that there will be a new version of OS X every year now! I'd rather have a nice computer that'll last years and will have 3-5 OS X upgrades, rather than incrementally increasing the hardware and still running the same Windows system. It's cheaper too, I only have 5 Macs around. I'd probably have 10-15 PCs if I used them, I rarely use Windows and still I manage to have a few PCs that I never use (mostly given to me). Just currently Four Macs running 24/7 in this house.

Litany
Jul 3, 2012, 11:40 PM
October? Why would I want to buy a $3000 computer that uses a 6 month old CPU? If that turns out to be the case, I'll just skip the iMac completely and wait for the 2013 MacPro.

There is absolutely no reason Apple couldn't or shouldn't have updated the iMac back in MARCH.

Lacos
Jul 4, 2012, 12:24 AM
I am very sad.. Beside this, an October timeframe for iMac?
That the time where the iPhone 5 should arrive..
Who can afford both at the same time?!

Swordylove
Jul 4, 2012, 12:27 AM
July/August please... I can't hold it longer I'm about to burst!

IlyaPol
Jul 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
1) backlit keyboard
2) better mouse (current magic mouse is crap) or may be they will get rid of it in favour of touch pad
3) thinner or no black frame around the screen
4) clearly improved performance (current performance with FCPX is well below expectations).

formfactor will remain the same. Retina is unlikely (very few people need it - i did not go for new Ipad and MBP with retina and will do it only once my ipad 1 will physically retire).

New Apple
Jul 4, 2012, 12:51 AM
A computer can only be very thin OR very powerful. Anything in between would mean compromise.

:)

HurryKayne
Jul 4, 2012, 03:26 AM
Ok,let me resume a little.
Rumors are saying,
Ipad Mini in October,
Iphone 5,Ios6 in Autumn
Imac in Autumn too.
New Apple blender and 6 hours of downtime,Fall.
Have we enough money to face the incoming Fall?
I hope to see Mac Mini and Imac
falling THIS Summer instead.:rolleyes:

macs4nw
Jul 4, 2012, 03:28 AM
Haven't seen this mentioned by anyone but i'm kinda hoping for the new 802.11ac network standard to be included in the next generation iMacs along
with new Time Capsules. I realize that it's still in the draft spec stage as of now
but Apple - as well as others - have jumped the gun on this before (802.11g and 802.11n) and released new hardware well before ratification.

That and Ivy Bridge of course, as well as better graphics.

Randomoneh
Jul 4, 2012, 05:16 AM
It's amazing how some people can be so naive in forums like this. NO, iMacs will not get a retina display for the following reasons:

- FIRSTLY, because iMacs ARE ALREADY retina displays. On the basis of Apple's marketing definition for "retina", which is the possibility for a user to distinguish individual pixels from a normal viewing distance, there is absolutely no need to have a 5120 x 2880 resolution unless you use it as an oversized iPad;

How about no? Can you do the math? Nevermind, I'll do it for you.

Average human is able to discern [angular resolution] up to ~200 pixels per degree as showed by a study done by Japanese NHK.

At 28'' distance, what is the angular resolution of current iMac 27''?

Below 60! (look at the blue dot)

And one with resolution of 5120x2880? Just above the 100, which would be pretty, pretaay, pretaaay good, I'd say.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1795/nhkimacipadimacx2.png

SpyderBite
Jul 4, 2012, 05:26 AM

Your either lying. Or, the employee made the suggestion based on his/her own personal speculation. Retail employees have no information about new product releases any sooner than the consumer does. That is why you rarely see a leak originate from the Retail division. Just as many people will work for a Best Buy just to steal from the warehouse; people would take a part time retail position just for inside information if it were common knowledge that retail got a heads up 5 weeks before an announcement.

They're not being secretive when they say that they don't know when or what the next new release will be. They truly don't have any more information than you do.

juannacho
Jul 4, 2012, 06:02 AM
Apple have slightly worked themselves into a corner with the whole 4x pixels dogma by having ALL the current retina devices follow that 'rule'.

For iMac though, why bother? Why not just give them enough of an increase that the retina concept of simply not being able to discern pixels from standard viewing distance holds true?

I'm sat in front of a 27" iMac right now and although it's not a problem, I can just (JUST!) make out the pixels, mainly on text. To become 'retina', this screen doesn't need 4x the pixel count. Even 3x would push the res up into 'effective retina'.

Why not just do that instead of following some none-existant 'rule' that gives you a needless engineering headache?!

whooleytoo
Jul 4, 2012, 06:18 AM
Apple have slightly worked themselves into a corner with the whole 4x pixels dogma by having ALL the current retina devices follow that 'rule'.

For iMac though, why bother? Why not just give them enough of an increase that the retina concept of simply not being able to discern pixels from standard viewing distance holds true?

I'm sat in front of a 27" iMac right now and although it's not a problem, I can just (JUST!) make out the pixels, mainly on text. To become 'retina', this screen doesn't need 4x the pixel count. Even 3x would push the res up into 'effective retina'.

Why not just do that instead of following some none-existant 'rule' that gives you a needless engineering headache?!

4x isn't an arbitrary rule; it's the easiest way to achieve higher resolution screens without breaking a lot of UI code or making it look worse (tiny UI text/elements, or blurryness).

It's 4x because they're using 2 rows of 2 pixels instead of one 'big' pixel. That enables them to do sharper images and text and finer smoothing, without changing the size of anything. A 3x increase in resolution just makes things more complex. That would mean using 1.73 pixels x 1.73 pixels instead of each 'big' pixel, so you'd introduce blurriness.

Of course, Apple does allow you to use non-Retina resolutions in the new rMBP, and it looks good because the scaling/smoothing is now being done with such small pixels (because of that 4x increase). With a 3x increase, you'd have the same problem, but it wouldn't look quite as good.

MacFather
Jul 4, 2012, 06:53 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/7378704766_e6aacaaa67_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vybihal/7378706242/in/photostream/

Randomoneh
Jul 4, 2012, 07:12 AM

Obviously you don't understand what you're talking about.

For the 100th time:
not seeing pixels ≠ there is no benefit from higher pixel density

Get it? Up to ~200 pixels per degree? Get it?

We'd appreciate if you'd stop spewing nonsense. It's irresponsible.

Swordylove
Jul 4, 2012, 08:23 AM
I hope the keyboard and mouse will be updated to match the iMac's colour. iMac is no longer white, so why the white buttons and mouse? Either make the buttons and mouse black or make the iMac white again.

Jul 4, 2012, 09:46 AM
How about no? Can you do the math? Nevermind, I'll do it for you.

Average human is able to discern [angular resolution] up to ~200 pixels per degree as showed by a study done by Japanese NHK.

At 28'' distance, what is the angular resolution of current iMac 27''?

Below 60! (look at the blue dot)

And one with resolution of 5120x2880? Just above the 100, which would be pretty, pretaay, pretaaay good, I'd say.

You should be the one to stop babbling nonsense. If we were to believe your flawed graph, we would have to conclude that EVEN at 5120x2880 the new iMac would NOT be retina, since it would still be far from the 200 index shown above.

Besides, I am sticking to Apple's MARKETING definition of retina: NOT BEING able to discern a single pixel at normal viewing distance. This ALREADY happens today with the current iMac, unless you have Chuck Yeager's eyesight, of course.

And as explained, no GPU is able to deal with it without changing the iMac's form factor considerably...and this is where the non-innovative Cook comes to play: by launching the fabled xMac and an external retina display, NOT through the iMac.

Unfortunately, Apple IS DEAD. Just short it while you can.

BenniG
Jul 4, 2012, 09:48 AM

I know here are many people who think resellers know nothing. But I have a similar statement from a reseller. So why ? This is the explanation i got.
The Resellers can see the nationwide stocks of Apple products and the stocks for Macmini and iMac are rather low. If someone works a couple of years with apple, she or he will have the experience that before an update/upgrade etc. the stocks are low. It is just an indicator based on the behavior of apple.
Go to amazon and look the stocks for imacs i.e. in US.
"Apple iMac MC814LL/A 27-Inch Desktop (NEWEST VERSION)
$1,894.95
Only 16 left in stock--order soon..." (just checked)

On the other hand, low stocks are often at the end of the quarter and with the beginning of the new quarter the stocks are filled for some unknown reasons.

BayAreaCub
Jul 4, 2012, 10:30 AM
With all this scuttle but on the latest retina display stuff, I really could care less about the retina display. My current I-mac 27 inch is super fast with SSD and has a brilliant screen resolution. Even my older 24 inch I-mac has a great screen resolution. It's not worth me upgrading to that until they have better carrots to dangle. I checked out the retina display the other day at the mac store and really did not see much of a difference. Happy 4th Guys xx

BVK Mac
Jul 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
Everybody is confused because they haven't launched the new imac yet, which made us think the retina display is the reason for the delay... but than we got the info there will be no retina display... so why the delay??
What if the reason is a whole new concept of the imac... with a different supplier for the displays ....??? i just say touchscreen...

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2012/02/new-virtual-controls-from-apple-point-to-a-future-imac-touch.html

watch the video and read between the lines... when they talk about the price and what would happen when this would hit the mass production...
and his statement that they actually.. !!! but he cant say too much yet ;)

mmhhh... speculations, speculations :)

I think it would be awesome!!!

Randomoneh
Jul 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
You should be the one to stop babbling nonsense. If we were to believe your flawed graph, we would have to conclude that EVEN at 5120x2880 the new iMac would NOT be retina, since it would still be far from the 200 index shown above.

Besides, I am sticking to Apple's MARKETING definition of retina: NOT BEING able to discern a single pixel at normal viewing distance. This ALREADY happens today with the current iMac, unless you have Chuck Yeager's eyesight, of course.

And as explained, no GPU is able to deal with it without changing the iMac's form factor considerably...and this is where the non-innovative Cook comes to play: by launching the fabled xMac and an external retina display, NOT through the iMac.

Unfortunately, Apple IS DEAD. Just short it while you can.
Stick to whatever you want. I couldn't care less if GPU can push it or not. This is not that kind of discussion.

Don't try to push ignorant above-x-makes-no-sense on me or anyone else because you're embarrassing yourself with ignorance and lack of knowledge. It's obvious you have trouble comprehending simple concept but it doesn't mean you should go around and tell it to everyone. Just because image is not pixelated doesn't mean you couldn't perceive higher level of detail when you are looking at the same image with higher angular resolution.

Yes, even at 5120x2880 you couldn't call say there is not point in higher resolution.

You have a problem with that? Too bad. Learn how to deal with it.

MacAddict1978
Jul 4, 2012, 12:24 PM

That is because it's beneficial to smaller screens you keep closer to your face.

Most people don't get that larger screens further from your face don't need this, and it becomes less beneficial.

Once you hit displays of 19" and up, you won't really see any benefits. You do sit closer to a computer display than say a television, but a retina display in an iMac still wouldn't not need much of a bump from it's current display. At this point, Retina Displays are going to be nothing more than Apple branding of HD, and the HD monitors that are available today already go beyond what the human eye can absorb. I really think people are getting caught up in the "Retina" hype. Looking at what Apple did with the MBP display, it's very different than how they did the iPad3 or iPhone4/4S (more to the point of Retina becoming an Apple Branded term). On a larger display, it's going to be different still. With Apple's unique approach to how they do this, I can see a Retina display on an iMac making reading text better and reducing eye strain, and video and images pop more, but again... the human eye can only take in so much information and process so much. There's just little more room to grow on a larger display.

Display technology is making grounds in smaller displays... and larger display technology that's not in the market yet. There's new tech well above 1080P in development, but this is going to be for wall sized displays that we won't see for another 5-10 years.

NeXT MacRumors
Jul 4, 2012, 01:30 PM
•Starting Price:1699$

•BTO SSD- Up to 768GB

•Ivy Bridge, 2-4 USB 3 ports, 2-3 Thunderbolt ports, SDXC card slot-Yes (Possibly keep the Gigabit Ethernet port and FireWire 800 port)

•Standard SSD- Yes, at least 128GB Why? Because the competition is doing it Ex: Dell XPS All-in-One

•Standard RAM-At least 6-8GB

•NVIDIA Graphics- GeForce GT 650m or GTX 650-680m ranging from 1GB-2GB

•HDMI- Most likely

•ODD- Most likely kept, but not likely if a redesign takes place

•Redesign- Sure, Getting rid of the chin in order to have a nice alignment with the TBD (it just looks better)

•Thinner-Possibly, but same size is the most probable

•4x the resolution- Sure why not

•Bigger Screen- Probably not going to happen

•Touch Screen- Never, because Steve Jobs said “It gives great demo but after a short period of time, you start to fatigue and after an extended period of time, your arm wants to fall off. It doesn't work, it's ergonomically terrible.”

•Blu Ray- Never, because Steve Jobs said “Blu ray is looking more and more like one of the high end audio formats that appeared as the successor to the CD - like it will be beaten by Internet downloadable formats”:apple:

Kafka
Jul 4, 2012, 06:35 PM
retina display
solid state storage
no optical drive
soldered ram
very, very thin.

It's funny your post was voted down so much since you're probably 99% right...

MeinKraft
Jul 5, 2012, 02:02 AM
I would like for them to release the new iMac before the back to school sale ends in September. I was hoping to get the savings that went along with the sale but it appears that they will be holding it off just long enough so that students cannot get discounts on the newer model, which kinda upsets me because I was hoping that they would release the new ones soon so I could get the newest iMac available along with some great savings. I really hope that they will release before October, but from what I seen, that's seems highly unlikely...

derbladerunner
Jul 5, 2012, 04:17 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vybihal/7378706242/in/photostream/

Again, what about pricing?

Look at the pricing of the Macbook Pro with a smaller Retina display.

There is no way Apple can sell a 27'' let alone a 30'' iMac with Retina display (let's assume these have around 4k resolution) at a reasonable price point in 2012 imho.

Maybe in 2013 or 2014.

Randomoneh
Jul 5, 2012, 04:30 AM
Again, what about pricing?

Look at the pricing of the Macbook Pro with a smaller Retina display.

There is no way Apple can sell a 27'' let alone a 30'' iMac with Retina display (let's assume these have around 4k resolution) at a reasonable price point in 2012 imho.

Maybe in 2013 or 2014.
What makes you think so? Estimated price of Apple's 15.4'' 2880x1800 display is $160.

derbladerunner
Jul 5, 2012, 04:40 AM
What makes you think so? Estimated price of Apple's 15.4'' 2880x1800 display is $160.

For a 15", yes. Big difference compared to a 27''/30'' screen concerning manufacturing costs.

Even so, the Macbook Pro is over 2k at retail. The stocked-up 27'' iMac is already around 2k USD without Retina display.

With Retina display and more powerful graphics card, I asume the 27'' iMac price around 2.5k USD or more. Will there be enough buyers? I doubt it.

PS: I can see them introduce the smaller 21.5'' iMac with Retina display in 2012, however. Or a stand-alone 27'' Thunderbolt Retina display in small quantities to test/gauge market demand...

NIKKG
Jul 5, 2012, 09:18 AM
Believe it or not, there are people that use computers for work that requires more power than a laptop can provide.

The new laptops out these days are plenty fast. What more do you need. I used to have a quadcore HP a few years ago, it was fast back then but now my laptops are just as quick. The CPU isn't even the problem anymore, the bottleneck is the hdd and once you install a SSD, than you should be all good.

renderingpixels
Jul 5, 2012, 10:46 AM
After reading many reviews of the Retina Display Macbook Pro, I realized the retina display on the Macbook Pro was a truly amazing engineering feat. Even with the Kepler GPU, it seems the RD Macbook Pro is already hit the ceiling of displaying those pixels on a 15" display. Imagine having the Kepler in the 27" iMac! Also, the high cost of the RD Macbook Pro was due to the retina display. This makes me think that the next iMac update will not feature the retina display because it's really not ready for a display of that size and would prove too expensive. I think the next iMac update will feature better graphics and perhaps more memory that's about it.

xgman
Jul 5, 2012, 11:32 AM
I think the next iMac update will feature better graphics and perhaps more memory that's about it.

So why then should Apple be so lazy about this to wait till October for such an update?

brdeveloper
Jul 5, 2012, 01:02 PM
There will be only one retina model costing twice a high-end MacPro. With an expensive design, you can put 10000px x whatever in a 27" display in a thinner form-factor.

Early adopters handle the cost of R&D then the technology is included in the affordable models next years.

thekev
Jul 5, 2012, 05:43 PM

Apple has always spaced things out to some degree. It may simply be easier for them not having to deal with multiple product launches. I am still guessing Mountain Lion as the time of release. I'd be truly amazed if they did a major display redesign here on the imacs.

Practically every card can drive that amount of pixels at sub 30 fps. Surely you meant over and not sub?

----------

Dumbed down is an odd way of putting it. We were already to a point where you can't really change things at will. The lack of a serviceable battery and other serviceable components is annoying, but I guess it matters how long you intend to keep the machine. Some of the arguments for or against the rMBP are just plain silly.

If you really loved Apple, then you would upgrade every year.

:p *joking

They already used Samuel Jackson and Zoey Deschanel in commercials. This time it could be Sally Struthers :p.

There will be only one retina model costing twice a high-end MacPro. With an expensive design, you can put 10000px x whatever in a 27" display in a thinner form-factor.

Early adopters handle the cost of R&D then the technology is included in the affordable models next years.

While I know you're only kidding here, I just wanted to mention that heat output is a huge issue with lcds. It affects color stability and possibly long term stability/panel life.

eucsstamticc
Jul 5, 2012, 08:41 PM
Apple Store app is down my iPhone.. are they refreshing for new iMac?

kdogsup
Jul 6, 2012, 08:32 AM
I think the next iMac update will feature better graphics and perhaps more memory that's about it.

I think you are right on the money... Retina displays are probably going to stay on more mobile type devices (iphone,ipad,macbook pro) as those devices generally sit closer to your face when being used.

The real challenge is developing graphics capabilities that can drive such displays. We have the graphic GPU's capable of driving such resolutions (as would theoretically be in a 20+ inch iMac) with higher end nVidia and ATI/AMD GPU chipsets, but those products wouldn't currently fit the thermal requirements that Apple requires of its products.

kotonizna
Jul 6, 2012, 11:46 AM
For the love of God ditch the mobile gpu! I want desktop computer with a real desktop gpu. I always wanted to buy an imac but because of the fact that it is actually a macbookpro trapped in a desktop body it holds me back from getting one..

Sgt. ButtKiss
Jul 7, 2012, 03:08 PM

I've been waiting for about a year, and I totally agree with you. The current gen of iMacs are good, but I want longevity so I won't buy until I get ivy bridge, USB 3.0, and better GPU. They could do all of that now and I'm sure the desktop market would love it and make their purchases.

They must be holding out for something, whether it is retina, full redesign, or even a strategic release plan that properly gaps other device releases.

But yes, I am getting frustrated as well.

zai-huei
Jul 10, 2012, 07:10 AM
I'm the only one, who want 5.1 dolby surround sound support?? :eek:

G51989
Jul 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
The new laptops out these days are plenty fast. What more do you need. I used to have a quadcore HP a few years ago, it was fast back then but now my laptops are just as quick. The CPU isn't even the problem anymore, the bottleneck is the hdd and once you install a SSD, than you should be all good.

I work with some pretty crazy simulation software every day.

My current workstation has;

Dual 8 core xeons overclocked to 4.1gzh ( I think its 4.1 ), 4 quadro video cards, 128gb of ram, 12 hard drives, 2 SSDs, and 3 optical drives.

So where is the laptop that has what I need?

Clearly the desktop has no use because laptops are just as good right?