Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
what did you think of the video? pretty impressive eh? i hope siri catches up. Apple, please make Siri less gimmicky.

1CSX2.jpg

4WXGB.jpg

Click images for full size

Last edited by a moderator:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I saw this video the other day. It is a really good show of what Google Now can do. Excellent stuff. I see myself using it a lot to ask movie related questions.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I saw this video the other day. It is a really good show of what Google Now can do. Excellent stuff. I see myself using it a lot to ask movie related questions.

Yeah. Right now I'm testing the movies / pop culture type questions. Seems like it can't do voice-back replies for upcoming movies.

What's great is that even though some do not have cutesy cards (as of yet, google will be adding hundreds, if not thousands more) you can always check the actual google web results, which are almost always accurate.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I have obtained permission from the author of that video to post a comparison using pretty much the exact same questions, but with Siri on iOS 6 beta 2 instead. Look for it on these forums in the next few days!

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I have obtained permission from the author of that video to post a comparison using pretty much the exact same questions, but with Siri on iOS 6 beta 2 instead. Look for it on these forums in the next few days!

Can you get her to not say "ok, I found this for you" every time? Slows down your search. Also, she doesn't read anything to you like Google Search does. Siri just displays info you have to read, lame.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
Can you get her to not say "ok, I found this for you" every time? Slows down your search. Also, she doesn't read anything to you like Google Search does. Siri just displays info you have to read, lame.

You'd be surprised. ;)

I'm just going to replicate the exact questions from the original video. She does ping WolframAlpha for some of them, which is when she says "I found this for you" and I don't know of a way to stop it.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah, Jelly bean kicks ass and is amazing.

Apple is quickly losing it's innovative edge. Personally, I feel the UI of iOS is outdated, and is pretty much the same since iPhone OS 1 which was 5 years ago.

2012: The year where Android takes over iOS

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Google Now seems to be a front-end to Google Search dictation. Siri gives the exact same answers if I add the word "Google" in front of my question.

Siri isn't good because it can process static commands, we've had things like that for years, Siri is good because of the artificial intelligence it uses. The problem with this new Google Now search, is it's still just dictating to a Google text search, which can be replicated by anyone. I used Siri to do a Google Search for each one of the examples posted above, and got the exact same result.

I'm not sure how these tests would go, because I'm not familiar with the new Google Now, but how about saying things like:

"Remind me when I get to my Dad's to call Mom and let her know I arrived."

"When is my next meeting with Scott?"

"Am I free tomorrow at 11am?"

"Wake me up in 8 hours"

"Move my 3pm meeting to 4:30"

"Reschedule my appointment with Dr. manning to next Monday at 9am"

"Tell my girlfriend I'll be 10 minutes late"

"Remind me when I leave, to pick up milk"

"Did my girlfriend send me an email today?"

"Show me my last email from my Mom"

"Is my son still at school?"

It's Siri's intelligence that sets it apart from just dictating the words into a Google search.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The answer to everything and life is 42? :confused:

At least Siri would have thrown out a slick or logical remark.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
The answer to everything and life is 42? :confused:

At least Siri would have thrown out a slick or logical remark.

This comes from the book "A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", this book has vastly influenced pop culture for over 30 years. I wont spoil any more of the book, but the whole concept around this question is quite funny. Watch the movie (which is way to short) to get the summary lol

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
What's wrong with 42?

Same thing that's wrong with 43. ;)

Yes, so that makes siri better. Productivity > Gimmick.

I have the 4. Don't have Siri or Google voice and I'm not partial towards eithier. I just made a comment. Stop being so freaking defensive for no reason.

This comes from the book "A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", this book has vastly influenced pop culture for over 30 years. I wont spoil any more of the book, but the whole concept around this question is quite funny. Watch the movie (which is way to short) to get the summary lol

Thanks for the explaination. I thought Google voice just threw out a random number. That's one of the few movies I haven't watched.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Google Now seems to be a front-end to Google Search dictation. Siri gives the exact same answers if I add the word "Google" in front of my question.

Siri isn't good because it can process static commands, we've had things like that for years, Siri is good because of the artificial intelligence it uses. The problem with this new Google Now search, is it's still just dictating to a Google text search, which can be replicated by anyone. I used Siri to do a Google Search for each one of the examples posted above, and got the exact same result.

I'm not sure how these tests would go, because I'm not familiar with the new Google Now, but how about saying things like:

"Remind me when I get to my Dad's to call Mom and let her know I arrived."

"When is my next meeting with Scott?"

"Am I free tomorrow at 11am?"

"Wake me up in 8 hours"

"Move my 3pm meeting to 4:30"

"Reschedule my appointment with Dr. manning to next Monday at 9am"

"Tell my girlfriend I'll be 10 minutes late"

"Remind me when I leave, to pick up milk"

"Did my girlfriend send me an email today?"

"Show me my last email from my Mom"

"Is my son still at school?"

It's Siri's intelligence that sets it apart from just dictating the words into a Google search.

Questions like these show off AI? Several of them are nothing more than location based reminders, which you could do on Android before iOS.

Several of them are calendar events. I don't have an Android powered device right now, but I bet the SGS3 is capable of answering those questions for you. As well as checking an email from a specific person, and sending a text to a specific person.

The only thing I didn't cover, was your question "is my son still at school". So I asked Siri. "What is your child's name?" Me: "Adam" (I don't have a son, so I just picked someone). Siri: Which Adam? Me: Adam xxxx. Siri: Sorry, Timothy, I can't add the relationship for this account. I don't have an address for Adam xxxx. Me: Add an address. Siri. If you like I can search the web for 'Add an address'.

Pretty impressive AI, right? She followed along the conversation perfectly, right? That's a freaking joke.

And still not sure how you would even get to the point where Siri could answer that question anyway. I guess maybe just have the times your son is in school on your calendar. But then that's not really dynamic...she's just checking your calendar. Something just hit me, it could be that your son also has an iPhone, and she pings Find my Friends to see where your sons iPhone is. Something like this is probably possible on Android using Latitude, but I don't know for sure.

*Gave it a test, and yeah, that did work with Find My Friends. So one thing it has. And it may be something that can be accomplished with Android...maybe someone can confirm that.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Questions like these show off AI? Several of them are nothing more than location based reminders, which you could do on Android before iOS.

Several of them are calendar events. I don't have an Android powered device right now, but I bet the SGS3 is capable of answering those questions for you. As well as checking an email from a specific person, and sending a text to a specific person.

The only thing I didn't cover, was your question "is my son still at school". So I asked Siri. "What is your child's name?" Me: "Adam" (I don't have a son, so I just picked someone). Siri: Which Adam? Me: Adam xxxx. Siri: Sorry, Timothy, I can't add the relationship for this account. I don't have an address for Adam xxxx. Me: Add an address. Siri. If you like I can search the web for 'Add an address'.

Pretty impressive AI, right? She followed along the conversation perfectly, right? That's a freaking joke.

And still not sure how you would even get to the point where Siri could answer that question anyway. I guess maybe just have the times your son is in school on your calendar. But then that's not really dynamic...she's just checking your calendar. Something just hit me, it could be that your son also has an iPhone, and she pings Find my Friends to see where your sons iPhone is. Something like this is probably possible on Android using Latitude, but I don't know for sure.

*Gave it a test, and yeah, that did work with Find My Friends. So one thing it has. And it may be something that can be accomplished with Android...maybe someone can confirm that.

And if it doesn't work, Google Now will be just as impressive as Siri.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, if the S3 can answer those questions, I'd be just as impressed as I was when I did it with Siri. From what I've seen, however, nothing else on any platform can.

Calling Siri's AI a joke, because it didn't understand the 4th thing you said in a line of conversation, when the service this thread was created to praise would have shut you down immediately, is a bit silly :)

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Pretty cool, but not impressive at all. All it's doing is translating speech and doing a google search. Siri does this. I'm not saying one is better then the other, but using the video to show android (eating apple at end of video) as the dominate force over iOS is silly. Android has come a heck of a long way, but I wouldn't count apple out just yet. Let's wait until fall to make an apples to apples comparison (pun intended). If u think Apple doesn't know exactly what they are up against, or what they need to do, ur crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.