PDA

View Full Version : Which Headphones to get?

J3ayy
Jul 3, 2012, 01:38 PM
I was looking at getting myself some Dr Dre Beats but many dont like them :rolleyes: Does anybody have any recommendations?
I will be using them for listening music on my iMac at home & my IPhone whilst out in the garden (as the neighbours Rooster does my head in)
Decent looking ones that go over the ears.

Willing to spend about 200 on them

What do you lot use?

spblat
Jul 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
Too many choices. Here's my take on the options for noise canceling cans at that price point.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1Q57QOE6L2ECU

I use Bose QC15, but mainly on airplanes.

J3ayy
Jul 3, 2012, 01:50 PM
Too many choices. Here's my take on the options for noise canceling cans at that price point.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1Q57QOE6L2ECU

I use Bose QC15, but mainly on airplanes.

I do like the Bose ones ;)

BB.King
Jul 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
B&W P3, recently released, a lot of good reviews, you still have enough money left for a portable amp if you want it.

spblat
Jul 3, 2012, 02:55 PM
B&W P3, recently released, a lot of good reviews, you still have enough money left for a portable amp if you want it.

Good golly those are pretty.

BB.King
Jul 3, 2012, 03:09 PM

An even prettier one is V-Moda M80, it is around same price as P3 and both will sound much better than any headphones by the so call doctor dre.

PAPO
Jul 3, 2012, 05:47 PM
DON"T GET BEATS, they are pretty bad headphones, and BOSE are pretty over priced

I'd personally recommend AKG headphones, for $200 you can get better headphones than ANY beats

Destroysall
Jul 3, 2012, 10:39 PM
-B&W P3/P5

-Sennheiser HD25-1 II

-Beyerdynamic DT 1350

The best one in the above list is the DT 1350. It's a great and amazing headphone.

ECUpirate44
Jul 3, 2012, 10:54 PM
Ath m-50's ftw.

noteple
Jul 3, 2012, 11:34 PM
AKG k422 folders or 240's.

Good music, guitar, pro audio shop should have a few you can try before you buy.

jeremyshaw
Jul 3, 2012, 11:41 PM
Ath m-50's ftw.

This, though since they are closed cans (and pleather[?] wrapped), the heat does build up after 30min :(

NZed
Jul 4, 2012, 12:36 AM
Try Klipsch

Destroysall
Jul 4, 2012, 02:03 AM
This, though since they are closed cans (and pleather[?] wrapped), the heat does build up after 30min :(

Yup. Plus he specifically said over-ear headphone, not around-the-ear.;)

thatoneguy82
Jul 4, 2012, 03:41 AM
I'm not claiming to be an audiophile or anything, but I hear no discernable difference between the Tour beats and the others. Yes, I have tried other equipment/brands (friends/family) and they all pretty much sound the same. Well, not exactly the same, just tiny differences in how I'm hearing. But it's not enough, to make me frustrated and look for another. There are two things I like about the tour: flat cable and the noise isolation. I'm sure others can do that, too but I'm not going to try them (if I haven't already). However, I know that these are pretty fragile. I've had it replaced twice (broken control talk and L ear). It hasn't really put me off, I still like them for *me*.

The Beats MIXR over-ear headphones designed by David Guetta seem to be an interesting one. I was just given full cash value ($150) when the L ear broke. Anyway, these over-ear earphones look great and you can move them around to what ever is useful or comfortable. I was tempted to get it, but decided to get the Tour again. I'd look silly walking around Target with over-ear headphones.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Np5RegtaL._AA1000_.jpg

MIXR on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Beats-MIXR-Black-Over-Ear-Headphone/dp/B005HTBJ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341390838&sr=8-1&keywords=mixr)

J3ayy
Jul 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for ALL the advice :D

CFoss
Jul 8, 2012, 02:16 PM
I personally own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I have yet to find a pair that sounds as good as them for the same price range. They're also incredibly comfy. They might not be bass intensive like most headphones, but they present everything equally. With them, you tend to hear things most headphones would miss.

kaielement
Jul 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
Well I been rocking the skullcandy aviator for around the house and when I sit around in my local coffee shop. When I am out and about running, skateboarding or working in my yard I wear my skullcandy the fix ear buds. I don't know what is is about that brand I love most could be durability sound or the fact that they have the best warranty I have ever seen anyway hats just my two cents on the matter if you are looking at noise concealing I think Bose is the best way to go on the note

TMRaven
Jul 8, 2012, 03:56 PM
Does the rolleye face indicate that you disagree with the people who don't like the Beats? If you've tried them out and love them, then by all means get them.

Destroysall
Jul 9, 2012, 04:58 AM
Does the rolleye face indicate that you disagree with the people who don't like the Beats? If you've tried them out and love them, then by all means get them.

This. Go with what you hear and like. If you want to demo headphones and have the ability to return it for something else, check out HeadRoom (www.headphone.com). They offer a 30-day return for almost every order. They can be a tad pricey, but I find it worth it. Especially since you receive the opportunity to properly demo a potential headphone.

TruckerKevin
Jul 9, 2012, 06:37 AM
Some replies in this thread are comical. I found a set of Beats on craigslist for $60 and snatched them up just for resale ability . They were so good I kept them. Comfortable, noise canceling, loud. And when I'm not wearing them, my kids fight over them

ChristianJapan
Jul 9, 2012, 10:43 AM
First I wanted some BEATS but after listen to them on my iPod with my music I had too search further and
just got P5 (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P5/Overview.html) and love them ... feels good, sounds good, looks good

musicofmelkor
Jul 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
Mainly for home use

See grado 225
Alessandro ms2i

Outdoors(there's so many good choices here)

Grado gr10 are the ones I use and I adore them
Grado headphones are known for making you feel like you're up in front row.
These iems do one better and make you feel like you're actually on stage with the band. They need a good seal to achieve that tho, so be sure to use the large tips if you ever get a pair.

Check out models by Westone, shure, and etymotics as well.
I heard there are some killer Japanese and Chinese brands out there but I've yet to use one.

Go to head-fi.org to find out more recommendations

J3ayy
Jul 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
I had to get some whit beats in the end as i just love the look of them & got them @ a bargain price & there 100% genuine :D

TheBeastman13
Jul 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
I just picked up the AKG Q701s today. They sound great so far, but I still need to order a DAC/amp. I will most likely get the FiiO E17 next month.

digital123
Jul 12, 2012, 01:04 AM
many of the Head phone are availbale but i want to need a headphone that have a best music sound quality,any body can help. audio codecs is the music tune generator ,that need so Quality of the sound.

garybUK
Jul 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
I had to get some whit beats in the end as i just love the look of them & got them @ a bargain price & there 100% genuine :D

Everytime someone buy's a pair of beat's a faerie dies :) Too late I know, but Superfi has a sale on AKG K450's @ 44.95 a pair. http://www.superfi.co.uk/c-404-headphones-top-sale-products.aspx

dba415
Jul 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'd recommend anyone to check out head-fi. They have people on there who really know what they are talking about, not saying people here don't, but that site is dedicated to headphones

Scepticalscribe
Jul 16, 2012, 05:02 PM

I bought a pair of B & W P3s recently (I travel a lot and wanted something lightweight, not too bulky, stylish, very well-made with a very good audio sound). So far, I have found them excellent.

Yes, they are.

First I wanted some BEATS but after listen to them on my iPod with my music I had too search further and
just got P5 (http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P5/Overview.html) and love them ... feels good, sounds good, looks good

The P5s look fantastic; what are your experiences with them so far?

Everytime someone buy's a pair of beat's a faerie dies :) Too late I know, but Superfi has a sale on AKG K450's @ 44.95 a pair. http://www.superfi.co.uk/c-404-headphones-top-sale-products.aspx

Snorts with laughter. ;)

ramzijw
Jul 18, 2012, 02:43 AM
AT M-50s! Best bang for your buck on under $200! You can't go wrong!

ChristianJapan
Jul 18, 2012, 03:06 AM
The P5s look fantastic; what are your experiences with them so far?

so far after one month I'm very happy; the only "weak" point might be the cable; looks a bit fragile; but can be changed in case something goes wrong.

I like the fit on my head even on 12 hours flights and the level of noise reduction is good. it's passive compared to Bose's active version but that's for me even an advantage. I don't feel too comfortable with Bose's Activ noise cancellation.

most important: sound is neutral to what I as amateur can judge. sometimes I use the equalizer in iPod but actually not really often.

Scepticalscribe
Jul 18, 2012, 07:01 AM
so far after one month I'm very happy; the only "weak" point might be the cable; looks a bit fragile; but can be changed in case something goes wrong.

I like the fit on my head even on 12 hours flights and the level of noise reduction is good. it's passive compared to Bose's active version but that's for me even an advantage. I don't feel too comfortable with Bose's Activ noise cancellation.

most important: sound is neutral to what I as amateur can judge. sometimes I use the equalizer in iPod but actually not really often.

Thanks a lot for your very helpful and informative post.

When I bought my B&W P3s two weeks ago, I also took a quick look at the P5s, and thought them absolutely beautiful. They were a lot smaller and more elegant than I had thought from looking at them online, (not to mention that the leather ear-pieces were stunning in appearance and struck me as though they would be rather comfortable to wear as well.)

For now, for convenience, comfort, elegance and travel, I'm very happy with the P3s, but would happily consider the P5s at some stage in the future.

Benbikeman
Jul 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
I've had my P5s for six months, and they are the best all-round headphones I've ever owned considering sound-quality (excellent), noise-isolation (just the right balance for wandering around), comfort (very good, just a little warm at times), portability (fold and fit flat into a very small shoulder-bag) and the great looks don't hurt. :-)

They also work brilliantly as a VoIP and iPhone headset.

Scepticalscribe
Jul 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
I've had my P5s for six months, and they are the best all-round headphones I've ever owned considering sound-quality (excellent), noise-isolation (just the right balance for wandering around), comfort (very good, just a little warm at times), portability (fold and fit flat into a very small shoulder-bag) and the great looks don't hurt. :-)

They also work brilliantly as a VoIP and iPhone headset.

Thank you for your informative and helpful post; it is always very useful to get feedback, and positive feedback is even better. Great to know that they work well as a VoIP as well.

Obviously, I shall keep the P5s in mind for future purchase. Must say they were exquisite - and neat, and elegant rather than a large, monstrous set of head-phones.