Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J3ayy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Malton, United Kingdom
I was looking at getting myself some Dr Dre Beats but many dont like them :rolleyes: Does anybody have any recommendations?
I will be using them for listening music on my iMac at home & my IPhone whilst out in the garden (as the neighbours Rooster does my head in)
Decent looking ones that go over the ears.

Willing to spend about £200 on them

What do you lot use?

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
B&W P3, recently released, a lot of good reviews, you still have enough money left for a portable amp if you want it.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
DON"T GET BEATS, they are pretty bad headphones, and BOSE are pretty over priced

I'd personally recommend AKG headphones, for $200 you can get better headphones than ANY beats

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
AKG k422 folders or 240's.

Good music, guitar, pro audio shop should have a few you can try before you buy.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm not claiming to be an audiophile or anything, but I hear no discernable difference between the Tour beats and the others. Yes, I have tried other equipment/brands (friends/family) and they all pretty much sound the same. Well, not exactly the same, just tiny differences in how I'm hearing. But it's not enough, to make me frustrated and look for another. There are two things I like about the tour: flat cable and the noise isolation. I'm sure others can do that, too but I'm not going to try them (if I haven't already). However, I know that these are pretty fragile. I've had it replaced twice (broken control talk and L ear). It hasn't really put me off, I still like them for *me*.

The Beats MIXR over-ear headphones designed by David Guetta seem to be an interesting one. I was just given full cash value ($150) when the L ear broke. Anyway, these over-ear earphones look great and you can move them around to what ever is useful or comfortable. I was tempted to get it, but decided to get the Tour again. I'd look silly walking around Target with over-ear headphones.

61Np5RegtaL._AA1000_.jpg

MIXR on Amazon

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I personally own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. I have yet to find a pair that sounds as good as them for the same price range. They're also incredibly comfy. They might not be bass intensive like most headphones, but they present everything equally. With them, you tend to hear things most headphones would miss.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Well I been rocking the skullcandy aviator for around the house and when I sit around in my local coffee shop. When I am out and about running, skateboarding or working in my yard I wear my skullcandy the fix ear buds. I don't know what is is about that brand I love most could be durability sound or the fact that they have the best warranty I have ever seen anyway hats just my two cents on the matter if you are looking at noise concealing I think Bose is the best way to go on the note

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Does the rolleye face indicate that you disagree with the people who don't like the Beats? If you've tried them out and love them, then by all means get them.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Does the rolleye face indicate that you disagree with the people who don't like the Beats? If you've tried them out and love them, then by all means get them.

This. Go with what you hear and like. If you want to demo headphones and have the ability to return it for something else, check out HeadRoom. They offer a 30-day return for almost every order. They can be a tad pricey, but I find it worth it. Especially since you receive the opportunity to properly demo a potential headphone.

Last edited:

TruckerKevin

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Some replies in this thread are comical. I found a set of Beats on craigslist for $60 and snatched them up just for resale ability . They were so good I kept them. Comfortable, noise canceling, loud. And when I'm not wearing them, my kids fight over them

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
First I wanted some BEATS but after listen to them on my iPod with my music I had too search further and
just got P5 and love them ... feels good, sounds good, looks good

musicofmelkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Mainly for home use

See grado 225
Alessandro ms2i

Outdoors(there's so many good choices here)

Grado gr10 are the ones I use and I adore them
Grado headphones are known for making you feel like you're up in front row.
These iems do one better and make you feel like you're actually on stage with the band. They need a good seal to achieve that tho, so be sure to use the large tips if you ever get a pair.

Check out models by Westone, shure, and etymotics as well.
I heard there are some killer Japanese and Chinese brands out there but I've yet to use one.

Go to head-fi.org to find out more recommendations

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
I just picked up the AKG Q701s today. They sound great so far, but I still need to order a DAC/amp. I will most likely get the FiiO E17 next month.

Attachments

• Photo on 2012-07-11 at 17.20.jpg
    Photo on 2012-07-11 at 17.20.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 80

digital123

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
many of the Head phone are availbale but i want to need a headphone that have a best music sound quality,any body can help. audio codecs is the music tune generator ,that need so Quality of the sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.