Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just hours after our latest summary of reports on the potential for an "iPad mini" coming later this year, Bloomberg weighs in with its own claims that Apple will be looking to introduce the device in October for availability before the end of the year.
The new model will have a screen that's 7 inches to 8 inches diagonally, less than the current 9.7-inch version, said the people, who asked not to be identified because Apple hasn't made its plans public. The product, which Apple may announce by October, won't have the high-definition screen featured on the iPad that was released in March, one of the people said.
Specifically, the report claims that the iPad will "have the same number of pixels as those in the iPad before it was upgraded to the so-called Retina Display earlier this year", giving the device a resolution of 1024x768 pixels. Using the same resolution as on the larger iPad will minimize fragmentation for developers who already need to target their apps for both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch sizes, but the higher pixel density will mean that iPad content will appear smaller than on the full-size iPad.

iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
The report also indicates that Apple has been mulling the idea of a smaller iPad since the launch of the original model, even as Steve Jobs was panning 7-inch tablets being brought to the market by Apple's competitors. But with Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's forthcoming Nexus 7 at least generating interest at a much lower $199 price point, Apple may now feel that the time is right to release a smaller, less expensive iPad that can help cement its dominant position in the tablet market.

While talk of an iPad mini has been circulating for quite some time with increasing rumors pointing to a launch later this year, Bloomberg is now the second mainstream publication to lend its weight to the claims. The Wall Street Journal reported back in February that Apple was testing such a device and qualifying suppliers, but acknowledged that Apple routinely tests products that are never released to the public.

Update: The Wall Street Journal has added its own claim that Apple's component suppliers are ramping toward mass production of a smaller iPad beginning in September.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iPad Mini Coming in October [Updated]

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Can we please stop using that "mockup" every time this story comes around? It doesn't do anything to help people perceive a size difference.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I wonder how much it'll cost since the cheapest iPad for sale is $399 USD and I think the most expensive iPod Touch is $399 USD.

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Still don't buy it. And not just because Steve said never ever ever and listed all the reasons they were terrible.

But then again, like the rumors that Apple was going to release a phone or the rumors that Apple was going to release a tablet, this rumor never seems to completely go away. Just like that Apple TV rumor.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I bet it'll have a 16GB capacity and it'll cost $399, replacing the iPad 2.

I'd see it priced at 299$, being an entry model under the iPad 2. The iPod Touch would still be sold as the smaller form factor becomes a feature (portability) and warrants the pricing.

beangibbs

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
Seriously? I'm so sick of seeing these rumors.
It's total bs, and isn't happening. But no, let the analysts keep making predictions.
When it doesn't happen, they'll simply say "Well, we were wrong about the timeframe, but it's coming eventually!"
[aneurism] [end rant]

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Pretty much confirmed now. $199 or $249. I'm thinking $249 with the iPad 2 at $399, iPad 3 at $499.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It's coming folks.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

There will be millions though, like myself, that do want this size and form factor.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I'm betting millions more will get it because it will be priced cheaper than a 9.7" iPad. ;)

Well that also. =)

Only thing I don't buy is the screen...I do not see how Apple will have a Retina iPhone, and Retina iPad but not a Retina iPad Touch or whatever its called.

Here's a question, if it's using the same number of pixels as the iPad 2 but in a smaller screen size, wouldn't it appear crisper?

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I'd see it priced at 299$, being an entry model under the iPad 2. The iPod Touch would still be sold as the smaller form factor becomes a feature (portability) and warrants the pricing.

The Touch is a wimpy thang.
GPS and celular data should be a mandatory part of portability.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The 7 inch form factor is more suitable for reading, it's just so much lighter. The Nexus 7 is only 340g which is a really good weight.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Don't buy it, even if it is posted by Bloomberg. It would fragment apps even more, and Apple can already command the lower end tablet market with the iPad 2, which still sells very well.

YGAB

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Those who doubted and regularly criticized Digitimes over the past year, please step up and announce your apology.

Sincerely,

Digitimes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.