PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg: iPad Mini Coming in October [Updated]

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 3, 2012, 08:22 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/bloomberg-ipad-mini-coming-in-october/)

Just hours after our latest summary (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/apple-planning-for-7-85-inch-ipad-mini-with-igzo-display-later-this-year/) of reports on the potential for an "iPad mini" coming later this year, Bloomberg weighs in (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-03/here-comes-nexus-7-nightmare-the-ipad-mini.html) with its own claims that Apple will be looking to introduce the device in October for availability before the end of the year.The new model will have a screen that's 7 inches to 8 inches diagonally, less than the current 9.7-inch version, said the people, who asked not to be identified because Apple hasn't made its plans public. The product, which Apple may announce by October, won't have the high-definition screen featured on the iPad that was released in March, one of the people said.Specifically, the report claims that the iPad will "have the same number of pixels as those in the iPad before it was upgraded to the so-called Retina Display earlier this year", giving the device a resolution of 1024x768 pixels. Using the same resolution as on the larger iPad will minimize fragmentation for developers who already need to target their apps for both iPad and iPhone/iPod touch sizes, but the higher pixel density will mean that iPad content will appear smaller than on the full-size iPad.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
Mockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/23/this-is-what-a-7-85-inch-ipad-looks-and-feels-like/) of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign (http://www.ciccaresedesign.com/))
The report also indicates that Apple has been mulling the idea of a smaller iPad since the launch of the original model, even as Steve Jobs was panning 7-inch tablets (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/18/steve-jobs-criticizes-7-inch-tablets-says-10-inches-minimum/) being brought to the market by Apple's competitors. But with Amazon's Kindle Fire and Google's forthcoming Nexus 7 at least generating interest at a much lower $199 price point, Apple may now feel that the time is right to release a smaller, less expensive iPad that can help cement its dominant position in the tablet market.

While talk of an iPad mini has been circulating for quite some time with increasing rumors pointing to a launch later this year, Bloomberg is now the second mainstream publication to lend its weight to the claims. The Wall Street Journal reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/14/apple-working-with-suppliers-on-8-inch-ipad/) back in February that Apple was testing such a device and qualifying suppliers, but acknowledged that Apple routinely tests products that are never released to the public.

Update: The Wall Street Journal has added its own claim (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304141204577506471913819412.html) that Apple's component suppliers are ramping toward mass production of a smaller iPad beginning in September.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iPad Mini Coming in October [Updated] (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/bloomberg-ipad-mini-coming-in-october/)

kbt1020
Jul 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
Here it goes again

boshii
Jul 3, 2012, 08:24 PM
Confirmed!

timshundo
Jul 3, 2012, 08:25 PM
Can we please stop using that "mockup" every time this story comes around? It doesn't do anything to help people perceive a size difference.

gmanist1000
Jul 3, 2012, 08:26 PM
What will happen to the iPod Touch? And the price point?

wordoflife
Jul 3, 2012, 08:26 PM
I wonder how much it'll cost since the cheapest iPad for sale is $399 USD and I think the most expensive iPod Touch is $399 USD.

KnightWRX
Jul 3, 2012, 08:28 PM
So did Google copy this for the Google Nexus 7 ? ;)

bluemonkeyguy
Pleaes just stick to the 9"+ size factor.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120503103545/theamazingworldofgumball/images/6/68/Michael-scott-no.gif

KnightWRX
Can we please stop using that "mockup" every time this story comes around? It doesn't do anything to help people perceive a size difference.

Why do you say that ?

boshii
Jul 3, 2012, 08:29 PM
I wonder how much it'll cost since the cheapest iPad for sale is $399 USD and I think the most expensive iPod Touch is $399 USD.

I bet it'll have a 16GB capacity only and it'll cost $399, replacing the iPad 2. You can choose white or black.

Jasoco
Jul 3, 2012, 08:30 PM
Still don't buy it. And not just because Steve said never ever ever and listed all the reasons they were terrible.

But then again, like the rumors that Apple was going to release a phone or the rumors that Apple was going to release a tablet, this rumor never seems to completely go away. Just like that Apple TV rumor.

KnightWRX
Jul 3, 2012, 08:31 PM
I bet it'll have a 16GB capacity and it'll cost $399, replacing the iPad 2.

I'd see it priced at 299$, being an entry model under the iPad 2. The iPod Touch would still be sold as the smaller form factor becomes a feature (portability) and warrants the pricing.

beangibbs
Seriously? I'm so sick of seeing these rumors.
It's total bs, and isn't happening. But no, let the analysts keep making predictions.
When it doesn't happen, they'll simply say "Well, we were wrong about the timeframe, but it's coming eventually!"
[aneurism] [end rant]

nfl46
Pretty much confirmed now. $199 or $249. I'm thinking $249 with the iPad 2 at $399, iPad 3 at $499.

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:32 PM
It's coming folks.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

There will be millions though, like myself, that do want this size and form factor.

KnightWRX
Jul 3, 2012, 08:33 PM
There will be millions though, like myself, that do want this size and form factor.

I'm betting millions more will get it because it will be priced cheaper than a 9.7" iPad. ;)

AbyssImpact
Jul 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
So it is basically a big iPod touch?

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:35 PM
I'm betting millions more will get it because it will be priced cheaper than a 9.7" iPad. ;)

Well that also. =)

Only thing I don't buy is the screen...I do not see how Apple will have a Retina iPhone, and Retina iPad but not a Retina iPad Touch or whatever its called.

Here's a question, if it's using the same number of pixels as the iPad 2 but in a smaller screen size, wouldn't it appear crisper?

boshii
Jul 3, 2012, 08:35 PM

Here we go again :rolleyes:

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:36 PM

Here we go again with this nonsense...:rolleyes:

knucklehead
Jul 3, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'd see it priced at 299$, being an entry model under the iPad 2. The iPod Touch would still be sold as the smaller form factor becomes a feature (portability) and warrants the pricing.

The Touch is a wimpy thang.
GPS and celular data should be a mandatory part of portability.

MythicFrost
Jul 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
The 7 inch form factor is more suitable for reading, it's just so much lighter. The Nexus 7 is only 340g which is a really good weight.

Wilson1313
Jul 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
Don't buy it, even if it is posted by Bloomberg. It would fragment apps even more, and Apple can already command the lower end tablet market with the iPad 2, which still sells very well.

YGAB
Jul 3, 2012, 08:38 PM
Those who doubted and regularly criticized Digitimes over the past year, please step up and announce your apology.

Sincerely,

Digitimes

boshii
Jul 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
Where are the iPhone rumors?

AbyssImpact
Jul 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
The 7 inch form factor is more suitable for reading, it's just so much lighter. The Nexus 7 is only 340g which is a really good weight.

So basically you are saying heavy women is bad and that every girl should be anorexic?

B777Forevar
Jul 3, 2012, 08:40 PM
If they are going to price around the $200-$299 range they might as well discontinue the IPod touch line.

fertilized-egg
Jul 3, 2012, 08:41 PM
Still don't buy it. And not just because Steve said never ever ever and listed all the reasons they were terrible.

We know about Jobs' ways. He would've said that a 7" tablet is worthless but 7.85" is the greatest thing since the last iPad. ;)

Obvious jokes aside, A 7.85" tablet is significantly bigger than the currently available 7" tablet and the UI might represent the "minimum" size suitable for touch interface, at least according to Apple's all-encompassing logic. I know I'll be tempted to get one to supplement the iPad or just to get my iPad back from my kid, with whom I'm having a real tough time separating the iPad from...

If they are going to price around the $200-$299 range they might as well discontinue the IPod touch line.

I'd think iPod Touch will still live on just as well as ever. It'll continue to be "training wheels" for the current iPhones. There are still plenty of people who want a truly pocketable device that doesn't cost monthly payment. Some simply prefer iPod Touch over smartphones because of their slimmer and smaller profile. I'm one of them.

Ryth
Don't buy it, even if it is posted by Bloomberg. It would fragment apps even more, and Apple can already command the lower end tablet market with the iPad 2, which still sells very well.

iPad 2 > in size then 7" tablet.

knucklehead
So basically you are saying heavy women is bad and that every girl should be anorexic?

I bet he's saying "the smaller woman would be easier to carry around"

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:42 PM

It's bad for their health...that's a fact. Both heavy and anorexic...but lighter is better in the portable world.

boshii

Who wants to be with a fat girl? :confused:

barkomatic

But then again, like the rumors that Apple was going to release a phone or the rumors that Apple was going to release a tablet, this rumor never seems to completely go away. Just like that Apple TV rumor.

Steve reversed himself a few times once he became aware of the demand for certain products.

jaison13
Jul 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
give it phone service, like the note!!

theBB
No, it does help. It clearly demonstrates that if your hands are small, you should buy an iPad Mini. If your hands are big, get the 10'' iPad. :)

GorgonPhone
won't have the high-definition screen featured on the iPad that was released in March, one of the people said.

ummmmmmm????????? WTF??? if apple brings out a new device with old screen tech will laughi:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

beangibbs
Jul 3, 2012, 08:44 PM

Fat bottomed girls make the rocking world go round.

jaison13
Jul 3, 2012, 08:44 PM

being with a fat girl is like riding a moped. it's fun as heck till some one sees you ridin' it!!

AbyssImpact
Jul 3, 2012, 08:45 PM

Haven't you heard that if you are fat, you are rich? Slim girls can't get fat because they are poor and can't buy things to eat. Basically you are getting money along with the girl. :D:D Murder 2 birds w/ 1 stone.

tech4all

It's an editorial photo/illustration. Not meant to be taken literally. Just gives us a visual of the article.

luqtotheman
Didn't Apple learn their lesson in the early 90s by making too many products?

So they are making a smaller iPad, keeping the original iPad, making a bigger iPhone and keeping the older smaller iPhone along with have a iTouch the same size as a iPhone?

Which product is a consumer suppose to buy?? I don't get it.

One Bad Duck
Here we go again with this nonsense...:rolleyes:

I expect it was a joke

No one expected the iPod Mini - until that became the most popular and highest selling iPod. Apple must stay ahead of the curve. If they can challenge the Nexus' $199 price point - Goog are pretty much out manoeuvred

They need to make this fully functional (as much as the 10) though. What did Steve Jobs say "If you're going to cannibalise, cannibalise yourself!"

OnBdDck

GorgonPhone

men who are desperate and cant get anything else.. and these days that iin many may dudes its sad i see men with very fat girls out on dates .. eating of course..:(:(:(

OceanView
give it phone service, like the note!!

Yes, that would be awesome!
I won't need a bigger iPhone if they can just add the radio for a phone in this. :D

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 3, 2012, 08:46 PM

Image (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120503103545/theamazingworldofgumball/images/6/68/Michael-scott-no.gif)

Why? Why does it concern you in any way?

One Bad Duck
Jul 3, 2012, 08:46 PM

It serves as an iOS introduction line for people who can't afford an iPhone off the bat.. always has been. Its the reason Apple still sell iPods.

OnBdDck

MythicFrost
Jul 3, 2012, 08:51 PM
Uh no? What?

When you're holding up your arm reading a book for a long period of time, whether sitting or on your back, it's going to fatigue quickly. The lighter the better in this case, there's no relation to women here???

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:52 PM
ummmmmmm????????? WTF??? if apple brings out a new device with old screen tech will laughi:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Agreed. It will have a retina screen. It would be like going back 2 steps in technology.

Of course we just had the IGZO rumor 2 news articles back.

ipedro
Jul 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
This will be the new iPod Touch.

The current iPod Touch is an odd form factor for what people use it for. People who want a portable music player are best off with the iPod nano. Those who buy an iPod Touch are better off just buying an iPhone. Games are best played on an iPad.

A smaller iPad would fit the iPod touch customer perfectly. Cheaper than an iPhone and an iPad, perfect for games.

Lancer
Jul 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
IF we get a smaller iPad then does that spell the end for the iPod Touch?

I can't see them releasing a smaller iPad without upgrading the 10" one.

AbyssImpact
Jul 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Uh no? What?

When you're holding up your arm reading a book for a long period of time, whether sitting or on your back, it's going to fatigue quickly. The lighter the better in this case, there's no relation to women here???

When you carry your women up the stairs to your hotel room...

There is a ton of relation to anything with your analogy.

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
This will be the new iPod Touch.

The current iPod Touch is an odd form factor for what people use it for. People who want a portable music player are best off with the iPod nano. Those who buy an iPod Touch are better off just buying an iPhone. Games are best played on an iPad.

A smaller iPad would fit the iPod touch customer perfectly. Cheaper than an iPhone and an iPad, perfect for games.

We know it's the new iPod Touch. I've been saying that alone since the rumors ever started a year ago :)

Drag'nGT
Jul 3, 2012, 08:58 PM
I'm in favor of this. Apple can't let the 7"/~$200 market get away from them. They kept that from happening in the iPod line and they have to do it in the iPad line as well. After you've talked to enough people that say they would have bought a smaller iPad if Apple made one you see their point.

theBB
Jul 3, 2012, 09:01 PM

So they are making a smaller iPad, keeping the original iPad, making a bigger iPhone and keeping the older smaller iPhone along with have a iTouch the same size as a iPhone?

Which product is a consumer suppose to buy?? I don't get it.
Is this a joke? Too many products is what you get when you go to Dell's webpage.

You want a phone, you buy an iPhone. You want a tablet, you buy an iPad. (If you cannot tell the difference between a phone and a tablet, that means you are in the wrong shop, comparing a Samsung Note and a Nexus 7.) Then you decide how much money you are willing to shell out. You don't get options where this one is better in these respects, but worse in those other respects. That (and names that combines random letters and numbers) is how a customer gets confused, not when there are good, better, best type of options.

Scythe5
Jul 3, 2012, 09:03 PM
It IS the new iPhone :D

haruhiko
Jul 3, 2012, 09:08 PM
Before the iPad came out in 2010, there had always been an "iPhone mini" rumor. Now they just change it to iPad.

avonterr
Its the remote for Apple's TV.

PeopleTheseDays
This article doesn't even make sense in talking about the resolution. It sounds like it's trying to defend the fact that the "supposed" iPad mini won't be 2048 x 1536 when in fact, all UI elements, and every app will be the same size on a 7.85 inch screen whether it's 1024 x 768 or the aforementioned resolution. The higher resolution will only be sharper.

Glideslope
Jul 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
I bet it'll have a 16GB capacity only and it'll cost $399, replacing the iPad 2. You can choose white or black.

Will not replace the iPad 2. 8g Internal. SD Card Slot. $249.00 wifi only.:apple:

toronado455
If they are going for a lower price than the new iPad (retina) then 1024x768 makes sense. It will still look better than the iPad2 because 163 dpi is better than 132 dpi.

If they gave it 2048 x 1536 res on a 7.85" screen, it would be insanely great, but also expensive.

Westside guy

If that's how you define the current iPad - then yes, it is.

Glideslope
Jul 3, 2012, 09:14 PM
Before the iPad came out in 2010, there had always been an "iPhone mini" rumor. Now they just change it to iPad.

Remember Dick Tracy's Talking Wristwatch? ;)

Spectrum Abuser
Jul 3, 2012, 09:18 PM
Just like the iPad 3 was supposed to come out in August of '11 and then pushed back to September of '11 and then pushed back again to the obvious March '12. It's all hogwash as Froghorn Leghorn would say. :rolleyes:

davidinva
Jul 3, 2012, 09:20 PM
I would like to see a 4-4.5 inch iPod/iPhone.

crs.one
Jul 3, 2012, 09:27 PM
Why? Why does it concern you in any way?

It concerns anyone invested in apple (whether financially or emotionally, although emotionally is arguably foolish)

There's a strong likelihood that it will be a poor product that will damage the brand.

People will buy the mini arguing its cheaper and its the same as the iPad, and they simply don't need bigger because bigger is just a luxury.

They won't consider that the resolution, target size, etc into their buying and if it results in poorer user experience, they will write off the iPad as well rather than realizing they got what they paid for.

Apple won't make developers develop for a middle tablet on top of the iPad and iPhone. So it will scale. But making it so it performs as well to scale is a tightrope act. There's plenty of targets on my iPad screen that are frustratingly small as it is.

Aidan5806
Jul 3, 2012, 09:29 PM

Ok you obviously don't understands how developing for IOS works. If you design something to run on the retina display it will still run natively on a lower res display of the same aspect ratio. Do you honestly think apple makes developing had by requiring developers to render everything twice. Come on this is apple wee talking about

MythicFrost
Jul 3, 2012, 09:37 PM
When you carry your women up the stairs to your hotel room...

There is a ton of relation to anything with your analogy.
Uh no. What you're saying has nothing to do with books, and it makes no sense. If you've got nothing to say about books and weight of tablets, then don't reply to me!

aleni
Jul 3, 2012, 09:40 PM

Image (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120503103545/theamazingworldofgumball/images/6/68/Michael-scott-no.gif)

i don't get it, why people who don't like the 7" form factor really doing hard to not let apple release it? it's not like apple is going to abandon the 9.7" iPad for the 7". geez..

people want more choice, if u don't like the 7" form factor, then get the 9.7" one.

it's not going to be fragmented if it's using the resolution of the original iPad and iPad2. what's so hard about this? please explain..

if apple release a 7" iPad, does your current 9.7" iPad will become a bastard child? i don't think so.

DudeDad
Jul 3, 2012, 09:42 PM
iPad Mini....or....iPod Touch XL

fertilized-egg

I'd say they learnt their lesson from the mid 2000s when they utterly destroyed the competition with various iPod lines. Arguably their biggest move since the launch of the first iPod was the iPod Nano which took out all the major competitors who were relying on the mid end flash-based MP3 players and gave people an excellent portable player. I imagine iPad mini will do the same.

gorskiegangsta

It'll make much more sense for them to make the base model 8GB and price it at around $300.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 3, 2012, 09:44 PM
It concerns anyone invested in apple (whether financially or emotionally, although emotionally is arguably foolish)

There's a strong likelihood that it will be a poor product that will damage the brand.

People will buy the mini arguing its cheaper and its the same as the iPad, and they simply don't need bigger because bigger is just a luxury.

They won't consider that the resolution, target size, etc into their buying and if it results in poorer user experience, they will write off the iPad as well rather than realizing they got what they paid for.

Apple won't make developers develop for a middle tablet on top of the iPad and iPhone. So it will scale. But making it so it performs as well to scale is a tightrope act. There's plenty of targets on my iPad screen that are frustratingly small as it is.

Seriously? Do you listen to yourself? You realize you're still talking about computers at the end of the day, right? Inanimate objects.

And if you had any faith in Apple, you would realize that if they chose to go down this path, they would do it with the utmost care and regard as to not do exactly what they said.

Again, nothing happens to you (unless you're financially invested) if something happens to Apple.

fertilized-egg
Jul 3, 2012, 09:45 PM

We could say that to every sports fan. :)

crs.one
Jul 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
i don't get it, why people who don't like the 7" form factor really doing hard to not let apple release it? it's not like apple is going to abandon the 9.7" iPad for the 7". geez..

people want more choice, if u don't like the 7" form factor, then get the 9.7" one.

it's not going to be fragmented if it's using the resolution of the original iPad and iPad2. what's so hard about this? please explain..

if apple release a 7" iPad, does your current 9.7" iPad will become a bastard child? i don't think so.

It's not about choice. It's about releasing a poor product.

Ruth's Chris has a reputation for making great steaks. They're expensive and very very good.

Now if they released a $10 steak that was half the size, but also inferior meat, they would lose their reputation for making great steaks. Granted, there will be people who try both, take the broad perspective and say "well, their high end steak is really good." But most of the public would say "why would I spend money on a bigger steak that isn't all that great?" They wouldn't perceive a difference in the quality of the product.

BulletToothTony
Jul 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
i always get amazed by how many apple fans don't get what apple stands for.

They don't follow the competition, and definitely don't price their merchandise to compete with others.

Steve Jobs said NO to the 7" tablet so that alone is the end of the discussion.

But more importantly a 7" tablet would require a new resolution, which alone is a no-no. at least for the time being.

A 7" tablet = a mediocre experience which is why apple won't make such a product, hence the reason why i buy apple products.

crs.one
Jul 3, 2012, 09:55 PM
We could say that to every sports fan. :)

I'm so glad nobody ever offered me the opportunity to invest in the Redskins!

----------

Seriously? Do you listen to yourself? You realize you're still talking about computers at the end of the day, right? Inanimate objects.

And if you had any faith in Apple, you would realize that if they chose to go down this path, they would do it with the utmost care and regard as to not do exactly what they said.

Again, nothing happens to you (unless you're financially invested) if something happens to Apple.

And now you've missed the point. Because I'm not talking about computers. I'm talking about business.

And according to your own logic, something DOES happen to me, because I am financially invested

east85
Jul 3, 2012, 10:03 PM
I will purchase one on release if this happens. I enjoy the 7" form factor.

As for everyone doubting apple, I think you're on the wrong side of history. The 7" market is hot right now, and Apple has waited long enough to get into it. If they get into it, they will dominate. The tablet is Apple's territory and it's going to remain that way for some time.

DakotaGuy
Jul 3, 2012, 10:04 PM

Steve doesn't run Apple anymore so they are going to do whatever they think needs to be done. If they see 7" tablets start to really take off I can promise they will enter the market.

gorskiegangsta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:17 PM

Can you explain how you arrived at this conclusion? Judging by Apple's recent history, they're not in a habit of releasing poorly made products that damage their brand.

So, do people consider laptops over 12" a luxury, or do they get them based on their needs? Since you don't see people in droves, rushing to buy netbooks, I'd guess the latter. There's no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to appropriately fit the smaller iPad into their lineup.
Also, how can you possibly know whether a 7.xx sized interface "results in poorer user experience" when (I'm making a wild guess here) you've never used iOS on a device that size.

Firstly there's no way of telling what Apple will or will not do. We don't know how Apple plans to market the device, or how they're going to price it, or what features will be included/omitted in the device. Like I said earlier, I have no doubt in my mind that if Apple truly plans on releasing such device, they will have a way to make it fit into the lineup.
Secondly, if the device is to have 1024x768 resolution, 100% of the iPad apps will run scale perfectly. Sure, some interface elements will become smaller, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be unusable. We'll have to wait and see.

dra
Jul 3, 2012, 10:19 PM

mini ipad request has been in the news for years now google is just filling in the gaps to collect from the request.

MAC MAN JW
Jul 3, 2012, 10:20 PM
It will be nice to have a smaller iPad. I wonder if the battery life will be longer then the 9" ipad?

TheGenerous
Jul 3, 2012, 10:23 PM
Bollocks

mjtomlin
Jul 3, 2012, 10:25 PM
Isn't it funny that Apple hasn't updated the iPod touch in a while? Is there a coincidence? I think there is and it has to do with rebranding it to the iPad line.

iPod touch will become the iPad nano for $149 to $299. Marketed for maximum mobility.

A new device called the iPad mini will be a smaller iPad for $299 to $449. Marketed for content consumption.

And the iPad price will drop from $499 to $449. Marketed as a "pro" device.

The iPad 2 will be dropped.

luqtotheman
Jul 3, 2012, 10:26 PM
I'd say they learnt their lesson from the mid 2000s when they utterly destroyed the competition with various iPod lines. Arguably their biggest move since the launch of the first iPod was the iPod Nano which took out all the major competitors who were relying on the mid end flash-based MP3 players and gave people an excellent portable player. I imagine iPad mini will do the same.

yes that is a great point, I don't know I just personally don't like it.

gorskiegangsta
Jul 3, 2012, 10:28 PM

They don't follow the competition, and definitely don't price their merchandise to compete with others.

But more importantly a 7" tablet would require a new resolution, which alone is a no-no. at least for the time being.

A 7" tablet = a mediocre experience which is why apple won't make such a product, hence the reason why i buy apple products.

Jobs' saying "no" to something does not make it a commandment for Apple. It never did, even when he was the acting CEO of the company. Jobs also initially said "no" to iTunes for windows, usb on iPods, the video iPod, the Apple phone, the 3rd party apps for iPhone, the Apple tablet pc, etc.. There were instances where he'd change his mind on something overnight.
Watch this: Steve Jobs Was an Awesome Flip-Flopper, Says Tim Cook (Video) (http://allthingsd.com/20120529/steve-jobs-was-an-awesome-flip-flopper-says-tim-cook/)

aleni
Jul 3, 2012, 10:36 PM
It's not about choice. It's about releasing a poor product.

Ruth's Chris has a reputation for making great steaks. They're expensive and very very good.

Now if they released a $10 steak that was half the size, but also inferior meat, they would lose their reputation for making great steaks. Granted, there will be people who try both, take the broad perspective and say "well, their high end steak is really good." But most of the public would say "why would I spend money on a bigger steak that isn't all that great?" They wouldn't perceive a difference in the quality of the product.

you got it all wrong.

$10 steaks in apple world means iPad mini with a single core A4, 256mb of ram.

I'm not talking about cheaper quality, but everything in iPad mini is gonna be the same except the screen size.

same A5x from the new iPad, same graphic capabilities, 1024x768 screen so battery life isn't an issue.

so this means ruth's chris selling a cheaper steak with the same quality, it's cheaper because it's smaller, good for kids and for people who feel the current steak is too much for them.

why don't u get it?

dolph0291
Jul 3, 2012, 10:40 PM
Many fans seem to be offended by a 7" iPad. How about a 7" iPod Touch?

PeopleTheseDays
Jul 3, 2012, 10:50 PM

I would agree with you in believing what Steve said but he also took a dump on any laptops smaller than 13 inches in 2008 and yet we have the 11 air now.Also you don't need a new res if you use 1024 x768

AbyssImpact
Jul 3, 2012, 10:54 PM
If that's how you define the current iPad - then yes, it is.

No, because the current iPad is a tablet at 10 inches.

A 7 inch one would basically be a big iPod Touch. Since an iPod Touch is like 3 inches, that is closer to 7 than 10. If you do not agree, please consult to your local calculator.

10-3=7
7-3=4

There you go. I hope you learned something today. I hope you now know subtraction and do not have to use a calculator anymore for this process.

Your welcome. :cool:

Ryth
Jul 3, 2012, 11:25 PM
Isn't it funny that Apple hasn't updated the iPod touch in a while? Is there a coincidence? I think there is and it has to do with rebranding it to the iPad line.

iPod touch will become the iPad nano for $149 to $299. Marketed for maximum mobility.

A new device called the iPad mini will be a smaller iPad for $299 to $449. Marketed for content consumption.

iPod Touch will go away.

iTouch will be the new 7" form factor.

Stetrain
Jul 3, 2012, 11:40 PM
same A5x from the new iPad, same graphic capabilities, 1024x768 screen so battery life isn't an issue.

I doubt it will be the A5X. No need since it's only a 1024x768 display.

Instead I think it will be the new more power efficient 32nm version of the A5 chip that Apple has already been shipping in the $399 iPad 2 models: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5789/the-ipad-24-review-32nm-a5-tested/

The A5 handles games on the iPad 2's 1024x768 display as well as the A5X does on the iPad 3's 2048x1536 display, and in some cases performs even better because of the resolution difference.

It's also a chip that they've been making for over a year now, so they probably can buy them at pretty cheap prices.

maveness
Jul 3, 2012, 11:43 PM
I will buy one.

I've been waiting for a paperback-sized iPad. Something to use primarily as a reader/web-surfer. Something lighter that can be easily held in one hand.

I think the display will be just fine, as the original iPad resolution will be squozed into the smaller form factor.

ixodes
Jul 3, 2012, 11:52 PM
Price may be a factor for some, but I believe they're in the minority. Most Apple buyers are not price sensitive.

I have an awfully large group of friends who use the same group of Apple products that I do. iPhone/iPad/MBA, MBP or all four.

None of us understands the hate on this forum for a 7" iPad. Each & everyone of us plans to buy at least one. The very day they're released.

I don't care if they don't have retina, it's not as big of a deal as most make it. Yes it's nice, but for a handy grab & go iPad I won't miss it a bit.

czeluff
Jul 3, 2012, 11:55 PM
I dunno....as an iOS developer, I'm just not seeing this become a reality.

The way UIKit is designed, some iPad apps have "sidebars" (like Mail) when you're in landscape mode, and that sidebar has the same width as the entire iPhone (320px). If the 7" retains this same sidebar size, then the main window is ridiculously small. And if they don't use a sidebar at all (like the iPhone), then it simply feels like a big iPhone.

rendevouspoo
Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 AM

A 10" iPad is a 10" iPod touch

Stetrain
Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 AM
I dunno....as an iOS developer, I'm just not seeing this become a reality.

The way UIKit is designed, some iPad apps have "sidebars" (like Mail) when you're in landscape mode, and that sidebar has the same width as the entire iPhone (320px). If the 7" retains this same sidebar size, then the main window is ridiculously small. And if they don't use a sidebar at all (like the iPhone), then it simply feels like a big iPhone.

My guess is it would just use the non-retina iPad dimensions, pixel for pixel. iPad UI elements are already generally a bit bigger than iPhone elements, so a reduction from 9.7" to 7.85" should keep it pretty usable. It would have the same pixel density as the original iPhone.

Renzatic
Jul 4, 2012, 12:04 AM
It will be nice to have a smaller iPad. I wonder if the battery life will be longer then the 9" ipad?

Probably not, due to the fact it'll have a smaller battery, but will otherwise consume roughly the same amount of power...assuming the iPad Mini sports the same hardware as the iPad 3, of course.

The Nexus 7 is about on par with the iPad 3 spec wise, and it gets about 8 hours on a charge

cdmoore74
Jul 4, 2012, 12:08 AM
I would love a 7 inch iPad but I have a few observations.

1. Releasing a 7 inch model would put a ding in their 10 inch sales and profits.

2. Regardless what a lot of people say I think a 7 inch would sale. Choice is always good for the consumer. Just because you find 10 inches to be perfect many people do not.

3. Price is key. A $300 16gig mini would match well with the 16gig Nexus 7. $50 more expensive but you will basically have a shrunken iPad 2. Good for customers but bad for Apple's profit margins.

Overall I think Apple is reacting to the competition which is good and bad. If you want to stay on top you got to be first. No doubt the Kindle fire is taking away sales. And to make matters worst the Nexus 7 kills the kindle fire.

isoMorpheus
Jul 4, 2012, 12:14 AM
What's Bloomberg's track record for accuracy?

class77
Jul 4, 2012, 12:15 AM
Why would Apple voluntarily undercut their 9.5" iPad by selling a 7" iPad?? That makes absolutely no sense to me and I don't see any overwhelming demand for a smaller tablet.

The only way I can see this happening is as a remote control for the new Apple TV

firewood
Jul 4, 2012, 12:15 AM

Steve Jobs said NO to a bunch of things that his companies ended up doing (and doing quite well) a few years later. So if Apple does something to which Steve said no awhile back, the company is likely running according to plan, as well as according to corporate history.

SactoGuy18
Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 AM
The arrival of the Google Nexus 7 tablet has pretty much forced Apple to unveil a smaller 7" iPad. If you combine the 7" iPad with retina display and either 16 or 32 GB of local storage, it becomes a very compelling device. Now include an IR or special RF port to make it a universal remote and this device would suddenly become a VERY hot seller. :)

mrbyu
Jul 4, 2012, 01:12 AM
I really don't see why do you people have problems with this "smaller iPad" idea. OK, Steve Jobs said once it's too small... wasn't he the one too, who said that they were never going to make a notebook with smaller screen than 13"? And see, here is the 11" MBA, which is a super successful, beautiful machine.

The 1024*768 resolution would look pretty good on this smaller screen. Yeah, it wouldn't be retina, but yet a lot better pixel density than on any Mac (except of the rMBP of course), I guess it would look quite nice.

You know what? With a lower price tag, it would be an instant success!

P.S.: and stop these "i'm perfectly happy with my iPad 3" comments... ok, you're happy, congrat, but there are still millions of people out there who are just looking for a tablet, and maybe they would be happy with the smaller iPad!

twoodcc
Jul 4, 2012, 01:16 AM
i personally don't think this will happen, even though i'd like to see it happen. but really Apple doesn't need a smaller iPad, instead they need a bigger iPhone

Jiz
Jul 4, 2012, 01:40 AM
We will see iPads in many sizes soon.
I think a 15" or 17 " would be great.

Adidas Addict
Jul 4, 2012, 02:05 AM
The iPad is the perfect size and ratio. Would hate to see some half arsed 7" version just to meet a pricepoint.

Slivortal
Jul 4, 2012, 02:18 AM
So, supposedly, this October we have:

- 13" RMBP
- New Line of iMacs
- New iPhone
- iPad Mini

Anyone else receive any reports for this October? All-in-one Apple TVs? New line of MacPros? Updated Mac Minis?

nannyg
Jul 4, 2012, 02:19 AM
Given the techno-savvy of many people who post here, the inaccuracies and mis-perception never cease to amaze me.

Calling a 7.7" ipad "just an ipod touch" is flat out stupid. It's like saying an 11" Macbook and a 24" Macbook are really just the same.

Whining about the possibility of the same non-retina number of pixels as the iPad2 is foolish, too. Lots of people were perfectly happy (and still are) with the iPad2, and this device would be roughly 30% sharper than that anyway. Retina would be nice, not having it would not be a deal-breaker for most. Retina would likely come later as screen prices drop, anyway...

It will not come with 8GB as a cost-saving measure. The current component price difference for 8 vs 16GB is what?...maybe $4? Apple will not invite ridicule to save $4.

It will not be super-cheap. Forget $199, and $249 is unlikely, too. $299 is my guess. It will have roughly the same internals as the iPad (otherwise, yes, it would be crap, and Apple doesn't do crap). So the only ways to save money are on the cheaper screen, smaller battery, and smaller profit margin. So don't expect much savings.

Make no mistake, it will sell like MAD. Remember, this is not a zero-sum game. There is not a fixed number of devices that can be sold in the world. Three years ago people here thought the iPad idea was dumb. Two years ago some households had ONE. One year ago many households had more than one. There will come a day when most household have several.

I'm guessing Apple would like to be part of that...

karlwig
Jul 4, 2012, 02:50 AM
I am happy with my 3rd gen iPad and would never buy a smaller one, but I'm not everybody else. Giving people the choice doesn't hurt, though there's something to be said about Apple's success in making its product line simple and unconfusing, in contrast to every other company (especially in the cell phone market).

For a different size, a bigger one would actually appeal for me. I could totally see myself buying a 12" iPad MAXI (haha). On the 9.7" iPad, surfing websides in portrait mode can be troublesome as the text is just so damn small. The Retina display makes it crisper, but it can still be too small for me when held from a normal distance on certain sites.

There's a balance between giving people a few options and not fragmenting and confusing the hell out of people. I think Apple will balance this just fine, even if the iPad comes in a few different models (and really, for Macbooks there are both different screen sizes, resolution options, body sizes and spec options without people complaining so much!)

gladoscc
Jul 4, 2012, 02:55 AM
Google pushes out Nexus 7. Apple becomes scared. Very scared

landroverz7
Jul 4, 2012, 03:06 AM
What about this

Ipod touch: 16GB Wifi/Bluetooth no celluar option $199
Ipad mini: 16GB only, 4G/Wifi/Bluetooth standard 7' inch screen at $299.
Ipad: 16GB,32GB,64GB 4G/Wifi/Bluetooth standard, no more wifi model, no more selling old ipads, at $499/$599/$699
Iphone: the usual

Ipod touch and Ipad mini updated september every year.
Iphone back to june updates every year.
Ipad updated march every year.

This will keep everyone happy I think, and allow for rumours all year around.

Defender2010
Jul 4, 2012, 03:06 AM
Never gonna happen. Quote me when October comes and goes.

Sensation
Jul 4, 2012, 03:22 AM
Dear Apple
Stop stealing our ideas.
Love Google

mrklaw
Jul 4, 2012, 03:26 AM
I'm fine with them releasing a smaller tablet.

I am slightly curious why they'd make a 7.85" tablet. Thats very specific, and also quite close to the ipad size of 9.7". There isn't that much difference between them.

kemo
Jul 4, 2012, 03:41 AM

or smaller iPad - depends...:cool:

----------

We will see iPads in many sizes soon.
I think a 15" or 17 " would be great.

:D:D:D, yea, I see the titles: "biggest iPad ever - enjoy XYZ millions pixels...

HishamAkhtar
Jul 4, 2012, 04:13 AM
Where are the iPhone rumors?

...and 13 inch retina MBP?

carefreecork
Jul 4, 2012, 05:08 AM
I can see this happening - a lighter, smaller iPad not only is a better form factor for reading and on the move, but will also allow Apple to compete with lower priced tablets. I don't think they are cannabaliding their product line either. There are several notebooks, two sized iMacs, and supposedly with the larger (reportedly) new iPhone there will be two sized phones - assuming they continue with the 4S. Adding one new smaller iPad seems a natural move.

adamzdara
Jul 4, 2012, 05:10 AM
It's ********, it doesn't make sense to make smaller iPad with same resolution. I guess that it won't be just smaller iPad but remote for new Apple TV.:cool:

Sasoon
Jul 4, 2012, 05:25 AM
7.85 inch iPad is great size, easier to carry around, and it will probably have same resolution as iPad 2 (1024x768)
Actual size comparison with iPhone and standard size ipad (http://www.sizeall.com/compare/Apple-iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Apple-iPad-7-85-inch-mockup-Apple-iPhone-4mr/75)

gnasher729
Jul 4, 2012, 05:36 AM

1. Steve Jobs is dead. Tim Cook is CEO of Apple. Tim Cook decides.

2. Steve Jobs often said "Apple will never do this" - until Apple did exactly what Steve Jobs said they would never do.

When Steve Jobs said "NO", it always, always meant "not now".

TC03
Jul 4, 2012, 05:50 AM
1. Steve Jobs is dead. Tim Cook is CEO of Apple. Tim Cook decides.

2. Steve Jobs often said "Apple will never do this" - until Apple did exactly what Steve Jobs said they would never do.

When Steve Jobs said "NO", it always, always meant "not now".Still, that's different. Jobs explicitely stated that they have done 'extensive testing', that's a different kind of argument than 'I don't 3rd party apps ruining my iPhone'. The things Jobs said no to, were things he just didn't like, not things they've extensively tested.

Second, iPads are still selling extremely well. I think a new smaller iPad would cannibalize both sales and profit.

Rogifan
Jul 4, 2012, 06:08 AM
Google releases a 7" tablet and rumors of a smaller iPad surface again. Just because it's Bloomberg doesn't mean it's any more credible. Especially with "unnamed sources". But this rumor will never die because wall street analysts created this meme that the Kindle Fire (and now Galaxy Nexus) would be iPad killers and Apple would have to release a similar sized device to compete. So they keep trotting out these rumors to support their meme.

There are plenty of Android tablets out there that haven't sold very well. I somehow doubt just having the Google name attached to it is going to make the Nexus 7 fly off the shelves. And Google doesn't have the ecosystem Amazon does. Most people looking for a cheaper tablet for their kids, for movies and Internet aren't going to care about things like quad core and jelly bean. Ask the average non techie who buys a tablet what quad core means and you'll most likely get a confused look. As what do you really even need quad core for anway in a mostly consumption device? Other than something to put on a spec sheet that gives tech nerds a boner.

apolloa
Jul 4, 2012, 06:08 AM
Don't believe it, and if it has a resolution like that it'll be a flop as it'll cost double a Nexus 7 or Fire.
An iPad with a screen resolution lower then a competing device costing half as much.....

iisdan
Jul 4, 2012, 06:22 AM
This has been going around since release. its not coming. apple wouldn't start fragmentation.

3" iphone
4" iphone
7" tablet
9" tablet

Its not happening.

G5isAlive
Jul 4, 2012, 06:26 AM

Where are any manufacturing cost savings coming from? They won't dumb it down...maybe less ram but ram prices are dropping...same screen resolution but smaller...so how can it be that much less expensive ?

Sokratesagogo
Jul 4, 2012, 06:44 AM

I thought this funny if no one else did, lol ;-)

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 07:01 AM
It's just ignorant and arrogant.

In my work, I have to work with a lot of phones and tablets (both iPad and Android). Tablets are a niche device that will never replace laptops or workstations for most people. But they do do things that are very convenient and make them worth buying, so people will buy them in addition to their current devices.

No Android phone or tablet is as clean, slick, and smooth as an iPhone or iPad, but at half the cost or less, they are pretty darn good, and a much better VALUE.

Here's the problem with any 10" tablet: They are too big! Ever try to watch a 55" TV from 3 feet away? How much fun is that? I could place the 10" tablet 5 feet away, but that's longer than my arms are, so that's a pain.

Or...wait for it....I could do this: I could buy a 7" tablet! Then the screen size is just perfect, within 2 or 3 feet, for watching movies, etc., and, as a bonus, I can still hold it it my hands!

I'm not ever going to buy a 10" iPad, even a refurb at half the cost, because I already know that it is just too big for me. And an iPod Touch (or iPhone) is just too small for my old, tired eyes. But like Goldilocks, I am highly anticipating a 7" Apple device, whether it be an iPod Touch XL or an iPad Mini, because that will be just right.

I've never owned an Apple device before (just worked with them extensively), but at half the cost of an 10" iPad, I will gladly shell out money for one now, if it has the 7" form factor that works best for me.

Apple fanboys will buy it because the world does not spin for them if they don't own at least one of everything made buy Apple.

Parents will buy it for their kids so that they can get their 1st 10" iPad back from their grabby, insistent little hands.

People like me will buy it, because we know that a 7" tablet is just perfect, and we won't waste twice the money on something that won't work for us.

I am the market of new sales that Apple wants to move in an dominate.

I don't see a major cannibalization of Apple 10" iPad sales. I see Apple's domination of the 7" tablet market, and that comes at the expense of all the Android tablet makers....

apolloa
Jul 4, 2012, 07:19 AM

I agree, IF they made one then it will replace the iPad 2 and match it's price. Apple do NOT do cheap.

But I don't think it will happen, like I won't believe a 4" iPhone until I see it, not saying it's good or bad, just I will only believe Apple will risk fragmentation when I see different sized devices from them launched.

champ01
Jul 4, 2012, 07:23 AM

In my work, I have to work with a lot of phones and tablets (both iPad and Android). Tablets are a niche device that will never replace laptops or workstations for most people. But they do do things that are very convenient and make them worth buying, so people will buy them in addition to their current devices.

You really think laptops or even tablets are there to be forever?

No Android phone or tablet is as clean, slick, and smooth as an iPhone or iPad, but at half the cost or less, they are pretty darn good, and a much better VALUE.

You see the value in a price. I'll go with clean, slick, smooth and doing the best in everything.

Here's the problem with any 10" tablet: They are too big! Ever try to watch a 55" TV from 3 feet away? How much fun is that? I could place the 10" tablet 5 feet away, but that's longer than my arms are, so that's a pain.

How can you be serious and compare a 55" at 3 feet distance compared to a tablet? seriously.

Or...wait for it....I could do this: I could buy a 7" tablet! Then the screen size is just perfect, within 2 or 3 feet, for watching movies, etc., and, as a bonus, I can still hold it it my hands!

Most people don't watch entire movies on a iPad, they have a 55" tv at home for that.

I'm not ever going to buy a 10" iPad, even a refurb at half the cost, because I already know that it is just too big for me. And an iPod Touch (or iPhone) is just too small for my old, tired eyes. But like Goldilocks, I am highly anticipating a 7" Apple device, whether it be an iPod Touch XL or an iPad Mini, because that will be just right.

If you can't see whats one a iPhone screen I wonder which phone you use. The iPhone screen is one of most clearest screens out there.

I've never owned an Apple device before (just worked with them extensively), but at half the cost of an 10" iPad, I will gladly shell out money for one now, if it has the 7" form factor that works best for me.

You got terrible eyes but want a smaller screen tablet?

Apple fanboys will buy it because the world does not spin for them if they don't own at least one of everything made buy Apple.

Working with Apple products for almost 15 years now. Best experience ever compared to any other Brand out there.

Parents will buy it for their kids so that they can get their 1st 10" iPad back from their grabby, insistent little hands.

Thats the reason Apple comes out with a 7" iPad? come on Lol

People like me will buy it, because we know that a 7" tablet is just perfect, and we won't waste twice the money on something that won't work for us.

I'm not sure if you know the costs of building products. why would you think something smaller would cost less?

Apple dominates most markets there in. Why start now buying one of their products?

I don't see a major cannibalization of Apple 10" iPad sales. I see Apple's domination of the 7" tablet market, and that comes at the expense of all the Android tablet makers....

Dominating 7" market? I never heard of such a thing before.

poloponies
Jul 4, 2012, 07:27 AM
Where are any manufacturing cost savings coming from? They won't dumb it down...maybe less ram but ram prices are dropping...same screen resolution but smaller...so how can it be that much less expensive ?

Imaginary devices always have imaginary price points. Hell, I predict Apple will sell it for $99 and take a $200 loss on each sale just to show they can. Or maybe they'll sell it for $299 but then give you a free MacBook Air.

ConnYoungy
Jul 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
Oh do give it a rest. At least until there's some parts leaked or photos of an actual device, I feel like I've been reading that article and staring at that photo for the past year

Geekbabe
Jul 4, 2012, 07:37 AM
One word - Teenagers! Kids crave Apple products!

iPad mini at half the price of the 9.7 inch version will open up a huge new group of consumers. A parent with 2 kids who balked at the idea of spending 1K on 2 iPads might well find that $500 is doable for holiday gifts.

cdmoore74
Jul 4, 2012, 07:57 AM
"No Android phone or tablet is as clean, slick, and smooth as an iPhone or iPad, but at half the cost or less, they are pretty darn good, and a much better VALUE."

I'm sorry but I have a Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean and know first hand that it beats iPhone 4S hands down both in software and features. And I can almost guarantee that you have never used Jelly Bean to even now what your talking about. It's like saying that a Mustang is faster than a Camaro without even driving the Camaro after being upgraded. That's exactly what happened with Jelly Bean and project butter.

Bezetos
Jul 4, 2012, 08:03 AM

No, it's a "fantastic and revolutionary device" and a "completely new experience" that will "change the way you

oh I give up.

Sardonick007
Jul 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
I don't get it at all. 9.7 down to "7 or 8" without retina, etc. etc. Why? If the iPad was a huge bulky device maybe, but why do this? Compete with kindle? The iPad is the best device of it's kind on so many levels that this move makes no type of sense to me. Oh well, at least I'll have a 7 or 8 inch iPad to go with my new iPad, cuz hell yea I'm getting it.

cdmoore74
Jul 4, 2012, 08:13 AM

iPad mini at half the price of the 9.7 inch version will open up a huge new group of consumers. A parent with 2 kids who balked at the idea of spending 1K on 2 iPads might well find that $500 is doable for holiday gifts.

This is the scenario Apple wants to avoid. They would get in a price war with their own products. If a $250 mini comes out can you see Apple still selling iPod touches at $200? Or can you see a $500 iPad outselling a cheaper smaller models? Ever wonder why Apple never released a 3G iPod touch but they sell a iPad with 3G/LTE? The answer is that no one is going to buy a $650 dollar phone when they can get a model that's half the cost without the phone. Making calls on smartphones is no longer the primary function.
If a 7 inch model can do exactly the same as a 9.7 inch model at half the cost I'm betting that the 7 inch model will be the top seller. Apple would have to cripple the 7 inch model some way to make people look at the larger model and to recover from lost profits.

poloponies
Jul 4, 2012, 08:13 AM

Nobody's arguing that a full-featured iPad at half the price wouldn't sell well. The issue is how that works with Apple's business model. It really doesn't. You can't just pick a random price point and say "Apple will sell millions!" Apple needs to maintain its profitability and selling devices at near-cost is not the way to go. IF a smaller iPad happens people need to prepare themselves for sticker shock. $199-$249 will never happen.

cdmoore74
Jul 4, 2012, 08:18 AM
I don't get it at all. 9.7 down to "7 or 8" without retina, etc. etc. Why? If the iPad was a huge bulky device maybe, but why do this? Compete with kindle? The iPad is the best device of it's kind on so many levels that this move makes no type of sense to me. Oh well, at least I'll have a 7 or 8 inch iPad to go with my new iPad, cuz hell yea I'm getting it.

I don't think non tech heads care a lot about retina display. My kids have no clue what resolution is and I would be shocked if they know. And if you go 1024x768 in a smaller form factor the screen is going to look better than the iPad 2 due to the greater dpi. I personally would buy a 7 inch model over the larger more power hungry big brother.

jca666us
Jul 4, 2012, 08:26 AM
The iPad is the perfect size and ratio. Would hate to see some half arsed 7" version just to meet a pricepoint.

Apple would release a 7.85" tablet, not to meet a price point (it won't be crippled).

If would have more screen area then a 7" widescreen tablet, i'd speculate 8/16 gig. of ram. $249/$299

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin777 View Post

You really think laptops or even tablets are there to be forever?

Do you really think they won't be? Phones are phones, tablets are tablets, laptops are laptops, and workstations are workstations. There will never a single device that will replace all the others....

Quote:

You see the value in a price. I'll go with clean, slick, smooth and doing the best in everything.

And that's great for you. I assume that you must be rich to have that option. Unfortunately, not everyone in the world is as rich or has as many options as you do.

Quote:

How can you be serious and compare a 55" at 3 feet distance compared to a tablet? seriously.

You miss the point. Try focusing on the point. Or try holding your 10" tablet up to your nose if that works better for you. Seriously.

Quote:

Most people don't watch entire movies on a iPad, they have a 55" tv at home for that.

Oh, but they do. And they also watch lots of short videos (ever hear of YouTube?), links on news sites, etc.. That's why they bought a tablet. Easy to carry, quick to view. I have one client, a security guard, that props his tablet up (yes, more than 2 or 3 feet away) and streams NetFlix on it during his shift. He doesn't have access to a 55" TV at his job...

Quote:

If you can't see whats one a iPhone screen I wonder which phone you use. The iPhone screen is one of most clearest screens out there.

Again, you miss the point: It's not a question of clarity, its a question of size...

Quote:

You got terrible eyes but want a smaller screen tablet?

Again, you miss the point: Given my eyes, I want a BIGGER screen, Bigger than and iPod Touch or an iPhone.

Quote:

Working with Apple products for almost 15 years now. Best experience ever compared to any other Brand out there.

Spoken like a true Apple fanboy. And I don't dispute it. But I also don't dispute that we live in a world in which WinTel dominates, just as we have to live in a world that has so much ignorance, arrogance, and hate in it.

Quote:

That's the reason Apple comes out with a 7" iPad? come on Lol

Ever give a 3 to 7 year old kid a choice of a 7" tablet or a 10" tablet to play the same game on? They take the 7" tablet every time. Smaller, lighter tablets for smaller hands (and weaker arms). It just makes sense.

Quote:

I'm not sure if you know the costs of building products. Why would you think something smaller would cost less?

I'm very familiar with manufacturing. Simple: The cost of the components used. Why does a computer with a Celeron dual core processor cost less than a server with a Xeon 8 core processor? Next you factor in the economies of scale and production. In most cases, physical size has little to do with cost.

Quote:

Apple dominates most markets there in. Why start now buying one of their products?

Last I heard, WinTel dominated the markets for workstations and laptops (both home and, more so, business), servers, and business networks. And Apple's dominance of the phone market shrinks with each passing day as they attempt to maintain their premium pricing.

Quote:

Dominating 7" market? I never heard of such a thing before.

Simple concept: You sell a product that people want to buy, and you capture the majority of the sales for that product. Given the choice of a 7" Android device, or a 7" iOS device, at roughly the same ballpark price, I'm confident people will select the iOS device. Hence, Apple will "dominate" the 7" tablet market....

jca666us
Jul 4, 2012, 08:28 AM
Nobody's arguing that a full-featured iPad at half the price wouldn't sell well. The issue is how that works with Apple's business model. It really doesn't. You can't just pick a random price point and say "Apple will sell millions!" Apple needs to maintain its profitability and selling devices at near-cost is not the way to go. IF a smaller iPad happens people need to prepare themselves for sticker shock. $199-$249 will never happen.

If Apple can sell a $399 iPad 2, knock at least $150 off for going with a smaller screen, smaller battery, etc.

Apple could sell these at a lower cost, just to spur app store sales.

wolfpackfan
Jul 4, 2012, 08:29 AM

I don't really understand this mentality either. If people don't like the smaller form factor, don't buy it. They will not be eliminating the larger iPad. It will still be the flagship product. So what is the big deal? You ought to be happy that Apple may be providing more products to sell. It can only be good for the company.

Personally, I plan on purchasing an iPad mini the first moment it is available (along with two new iPhone 5's). If no iPad mini, I will be buying the Nexus 7. Regardless I will be getting a smaller tablet than my iPad 1 (which I'm giving to my wife).

WLS
Jul 4, 2012, 08:31 AM
I just don't see a mini from Apple. The Nexus 7 though is looking sweet. It weighs less. It has a tegra 3 processor and a 1.2M camera in the front. It has a GPS standard which Apple doesn't do.
If Apple came out with a mini this year it would have to use the A5 processor and that is not competitive with the Tegra 3. Plus Google is selling this at cost which Apple would never do.
The best we can hope for from Apple is a new Touch in a 4 or 5 inch size.
Amazon is bringing out it's Fire 2 soon (next week probably) and we shall see what that is like but I'm thinking Google's tablet with Jellybean as the OS is going to be the winner in the 7 inch tablet niche.

emjaymert
Jul 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
I am a fan girl and have been one since the early eighties. That being said..I am very interested in the Nexus 7,due to its size ,cost,and weight.I have carpal
tunnel in my hands and holding/using the current ipad for much more than five minutes..is painful.I m waiting to order it until it hits the store as i d like to test it out in person,but from what I 've been reading..it ll be perfect.With it s cost..If I wanted to,I d be able to buy it AND an ipad mini for the price of a 10 " ipad .

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 08:41 AM
Can you explain how you arrived at this conclusion? Judging by Apple's recent history, they're not in a habit of releasing poorly made products that damage their brand.

So, do people consider laptops over 12" a luxury, or do they get them based on their needs? Since you don't see people in droves, rushing to buy netbooks, I'd guess the latter. There's no reason why Apple shouldn't be able to appropriately fit the smaller iPad into their lineup.
Also, how can you possibly know whether a 7.xx sized interface "results in poorer user experience" when (I'm making a wild guess here) you've never used iOS on a device that size.

Firstly there's no way of telling what Apple will or will not do. We don't know how Apple plans to market the device, or how they're going to price it, or what features will be included/omitted in the device. Like I said earlier, I have no doubt in my mind that if Apple truly plans on releasing such device, they will have a way to make it fit into the lineup.
Secondly, if the device is to have 1024x768 resolution, 100% of the iPad apps will run scale perfectly. Sure, some interface elements will become smaller, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be unusable. We'll have to wait and see.

Yes. There is no way of telling. Which is why I wasn't speaking in definitive terms. But there is the real possibility. Which is why we are all here.

Dont get me wrong, it could work. But it could also damage the brand. We will indeed see.

In regards to your laptop question, no they do not consider it a luxury, as many need the extra real estate for professional programs like final cut, photoshop, protools, etc

cryonicjim
Jul 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
Seriously? This is the third time this rumor has been posted, and it'll be the third time it's wrong. There is very little practical application of an 7 inch iPad over a 10, so why would anyone invest millions in r&d money for a product that has the same features as one you already have?

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 08:47 AM
you got it all wrong.

$10 steaks in apple world means iPad mini with a single core A4, 256mb of ram.

I'm not talking about cheaper quality, but everything in iPad mini is gonna be the same except the screen size.

so this means ruth's chris selling a cheaper steak with the same quality, it's cheaper because it's smaller, good for kids and for people who feel the current steak is too much for them.

why don't u get it?

Apparently I don't "get it" because I don't agree with you.

Yes, the idea is great. If the iPad mini is perfect, by all means release it. If its the cheaper steak that is the same quality, do it.

But there is a strong possibility that it cannot be the same quality.

If the target elements are too small and thus create a frustrating user experience, it will damage the brand and shouldn't be released

----------

Scaling up iPod apps instead of scaling down iPad. I like it.

The only problem would be dealing with the public perception of "it's capable of being an iPad, why did they gimp it."

hipnetic
Jul 4, 2012, 08:48 AM
I could see Apple telling a supplier to leak a fake rumor like this. Could cause a lot of people who might have thought about buying a Nexus 7 to delay that purchase.

But I do think that a smaller iPad could have a market. I use my MacBook Air almost exclusively inside my house, and I take my iPhone when I leave the house. I have my wife's hand-me-down iPad 2, but I rarely choose to use it over the Air. On occasion, though, I might want to pick up something inside my house that's a bit more "immediate" and smaller/lighter than my Air, but that has a larger screen than my iPhone. In bed, the iPad feels more uncomfortable to hold for extended periods than my Air (where the bulk of the weight is on my lap and not felt in my wrists). In other rooms, I sometimes do some some quick web browsing, Pandora selection (playing via AirPlay on my living room stereo), etc. and use the iPhone for that, since I can rest it on the counter or dining table discretely (the iPad doesn't get carried from room to room, so it's usually not with me anyway, but it would also take up more space when I set it down on the counter).

Another use case would be e-book reading. I think a 7" size may be more ideal for that. Key, though, is getting the weight down significantly, and this is where the e-ink tablets may still have an advantage over a color tablet. Plus, those will have better outdoor visibility. A while back I proposed that Apple should perhaps come out with a 7" e-ink tablet, where the obvious focus would be e-book reading. But it would give you a familiar iOS interface. It would help Apple to sell more e-books, as I suspect that there are a lot of people entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but who buy an e-ink Kindle or Nook for the smaller size, lighter weight, and better outdoor visibility.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 08:49 AM
"No Android phone or tablet is as clean, slick, and smooth as an iPhone or iPad, but at half the cost or less, they are pretty darn good, and a much better VALUE."

I'm sorry but I have a Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean and know first hand that it beats iPhone 4S hands down both in software and features. And I can almost guarantee that you have never used Jelly Bean to even now what your talking about. It's like saying that a Mustang is faster than a Camaro without even driving the Camaro after being upgraded. That's exactly what happened with Jelly Bean and project butter.

No, I haven't worked with Jelly Bean, since it's only out to developers (although my Xoom is supposed to get it mid-July). And hopefully it will improve various things on it that ICS made worse. But it's only an incremental update, not a major OS upgrade.

My point is: Why should you have to upgrade the Camero to compete? Where will the Camaro be after the Mustang is upgraded?

I'm sorry. I try not to be any manufacturer's fanboy. I've worked with many, many iOS and Android devices. I've never found an Android device yet that measures up 100% (or more) to the same class iOS device. There is always just the promise that it will, after the next upgrade.

But that's O.K. because 70%, 80%, or 90%, is pretty darn good, if it costs me only 30% or 40% or 50% of what the iOS device costs. I'll take the Android device in that scenario. It was the same back in the day: Why buy a $2,500 Macintosh, when you could buy a Windows workstation that would do everything that you wanted it to do for only $1,000? Hence, WinTel dominates the world. And that is what is happening to the smartphone market today.

But when the choice is between a 7" Android device, and a 7" iOS device, and they are equally matched on price?

And doesn't Jelly Bean do away with support for Adobe Flash? One of the major selling points of Android over iOS?

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 08:51 AM
I would love a 7 inch iPad but I have a few observations.

1. Releasing a 7 inch model would put a ding in their 10 inch sales and profits.

2. Regardless what a lot of people say I think a 7 inch would sale. Choice is always good for the consumer. Just because you find 10 inches to be perfect many people do not.

3. Price is key. A $300 16gig mini would match well with the 16gig Nexus 7. $50 more expensive but you will basically have a shrunken iPad 2. Good for customers but bad for Apple's profit margins.

Overall I think Apple is reacting to the competition which is good and bad. If you want to stay on top you got to be first. No doubt the Kindle fire is taking away sales. And to make matters worst the Nexus 7 kills the kindle fire.

Seven inch tablets initially came into being in reaction to the iPad. They couldn't afford to match iPads size and price so size was one of the corners cut. It's debatable whether they've had enough success to warrant a reaction from apple.

sweetbrat
Jul 4, 2012, 08:55 AM

A 7 inch one would basically be a big iPod Touch. Since an iPod Touch is like 3 inches, that is closer to 7 than 10. If you do not agree, please consult to your local calculator.

10-3=7
7-3=4

There you go. I hope you learned something today. I hope you now know subtraction and do not have to use a calculator anymore for this process.

I think your logic is very confused here. We're talking about a theoretical new 7" product here. Your numbers should be comparing that 7" product against the current 10" and 3" products to find out which one it's closer to. So...
10-7=3
7-3=4
Therefore, it would be closer to being a small iPad than a large iPod Touch.
Your numbers compared the current iPad to the iPod Touch, which is really irrelevant. Actually, this entire line of thinking is irrelevant, because size alone isn't the determining factor. The usability of the product is. If it's 7" but functions and has the capabilities of the iPad, then it's an iPad mini.

Sackvillenb
Jul 4, 2012, 08:57 AM
Well, claims by 2 big news agencies... Although Jobs may not have liked the idea, I think it's a smart move by Apple, to have a product competing at a lower price point... Now if only they would do the same for some of their other computers...! :)

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 09:04 AM

There's not much of a 7" "market." it's all just lumped in with the "not an iPad market"

And you throw around terms like ignorant and arrogant, but you don't address the crux of the matter...will the smaller size make target elements too small and damage the user experience.

In a side note, your aspect comparisons are off. 10" iPad at arms length is more akin to a 55" tv at ten feet. Maybe there is someone here who can do the actual math

----------

I don't really understand this mentality either. If people don't like the smaller form factor, don't buy it. They will not be eliminating the larger iPad. It will still be the flagship product. So what is the big deal? You ought to be happy that Apple may be providing more products to sell. It can only be good for the company.

Personally, I plan on purchasing an iPad mini the first moment it is available (along with two new iPhone 5's). If no iPad mini, I will be buying the Nexus 7. Regardless I will be getting a smaller tablet than my iPad 1 (which I'm giving to my wife).

It's not true that "it can only be good for the company."

If it provides an inferior experience, it will damage the reputation of the iPad itself. And stockholders will see drops

fertilized-egg
Jul 4, 2012, 09:05 AM
I'm fine with them releasing a smaller tablet.

I am slightly curious why they'd make a 7.85" tablet. Thats very specific, and also quite close to the ipad size of 9.7". There isn't that much difference between them.

When you see iPad touch targets(icons, buttons, etc) you'll notice they are larger than the ones on iPhone. If you downsize the iPad screen so that the touch targets match the size of iPhone ones, you get a 7.85" display size. This means they get to reuse all the iPad apps with the proven size of iPhone touch targets. Not as easy as the current iPad to touch but not impossible as we're already used to them on iPhone.

As you've pointed out, this "iPad Mini" size is a bit different from the current Android 7" tablets. It's really an 8" (if it were an Android tablet, it'd be an 8.1") tablet sitting between the 7" and 10" tablet sizes. My speculation is that Apple will try to make it similar to the 7" tablets in physical size by reducing the bezel, which would also make it look more attractive.

The display areas in square inches:

7" Android tablet: 22.04
7.85" iPad "Mini": 29.58
9.7" iPad: 45.16

fabrixce
Jul 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
Its not a new ipad ITS THE NEW IPHONE... They wouldnt release a new version of the ipad between the ipad 3 and the ipad 4, if they do release a new version it'll be when the ipad 4 comes out.

rendevouspoo
Jul 4, 2012, 09:15 AM
I'll go with clean, slick, smooth and doing the best in everything.

Lol.

knightlie
Jul 4, 2012, 09:20 AM

Did you even read the article? The resolution is the same as that of the iPad 1 and 2. And anyone who isn't an armchair developer knows that as a result apps won't be affected in the slightest.

wolfpackfan
Jul 4, 2012, 09:20 AM
Seriously? This is the third time this rumor has been posted, and it'll be the third time it's wrong. There is very little practical application of an 7 inch iPad over a 10, so why would anyone invest millions in r&d money for a product that has the same features as one you already have?

So as to sell you a second one? Plus this source is much more reputable than those in the past.

musicdude2013
Jul 4, 2012, 09:21 AM
Can this rumor die already? Also, I think this would be a dumb idea.

Doombringer
Jul 4, 2012, 09:21 AM
I can see both the iPhone 5 and this new (new) Smaller iPad being announced at a single event. "We heard you wanted a phone with a larger screen..." "We heard you wanted a more portable, affordable iPad..."

wolfpackfan
Jul 4, 2012, 09:22 AM
Its not a new ipad ITS THE NEW IPHONE... They wouldnt release a new version of the ipad between the ipad 3 and the ipad 4, if they do release a new version it'll be when the ipad 4 comes out.

This is the new iPad mini, an entirely different product. It is not a replacement for the new iPad.

----------

Why should it, just because YOU don't like it.

knightlie
Jul 4, 2012, 09:25 AM
Google pushes out Nexus 7. Apple becomes scared. Very scared

Apple pushes out 7" iPad. Competition gives up and goes home.

oliversl
Jul 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
And hell freezes over

trickness
Jul 4, 2012, 09:29 AM
Has anyone thought that perhaps this might be a "second screen" device included with the upcoming iTV, and not an actual standalone product?

hobo.hopkins
Jul 4, 2012, 09:38 AM

I agree with you there. It would be very uncharacteristic of Apple to introduce a new product that way; especially if the new iPad is selling so well.

Mattsasa
Jul 4, 2012, 09:40 AM
No Apple. Stop it. Do not release a iPad with a different screen size. Do not fragment your perfect tablet set up right now. Furthermore, do not release a 6th gen iPhone, with a new screen aspect ratio!!! not allowed.

Navdakilla
Jul 4, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sounds good to me. Apple will sell!

Azzin
Jul 4, 2012, 09:50 AM

I am currently on holiday, sitting at a beach club in Turkey, catching up on a few things on my iPad while SWMBO has gone shopping and that post (that gif actually) literally made me spit my diet coke out and inhale it through my nose (not a pretty sight!)! :D

Quality!

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 09:59 AM

Yes, and I'm sure you'll be the first in line to buy one when it comes out in your town....

fertilized-egg
Jul 4, 2012, 10:02 AM
I agree with you there. It would be very uncharacteristic of Apple to introduce a new product that way; especially if the new iPad is selling so well.

Apple very willingly killed off iPod Mini and replaced it with Nano when Mini was the best selling iPod. They also had no problem releasing the new iPod Touch to disrupt iPod Nano when Nano was probably the best selling MP3 player in the world.

A 7.85" tablet in the $200-300 range will be a perfect device to pick up the slacks in the declining sales of iPod. It might canibalize the existing iPad sales to an extent, but the amount of new customers gained will be enormous. Plus I expect a lot of current iPad users will buy both iPads. In a way, this is Apple's response to large display phones as well, especially if it comes with a 3G/LTE option.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 10:06 AM

My thoughts exactly...but they've got to be very careful on price. The market of people who who will pay any price that Apple demands, and are actually disappointed that they can't pay twice as much (since price=quality, value, and performance, at least in their perception, every time) is very limited.

Azzin
Jul 4, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think a lot of people are comparing the current demographic of the iPad to the one that the Mini IMO will be aimed at and I think they're very different.

Not everyone wants storage & Retina hungry apps, some just want a smaller/cheaper iPad, but can't afford one, so they buy a smaller/cheaper Android tablet (if they even know its an Android tablet).

These are the much more casual users that Apple are currently losing to smaller/cheaper tablets and that's why I think a smaller/cheaper iPad still makes sense for Apple.

Once they hook them into the Apple ecosystem, they will make money from apps & the iTunes store in general and they will hope to also convert those that Android phones to iPhone owners once they realise that "it just works"!

There are a huge amount of people buying sub 10" tablets without an Apple logo on them.

Also, the Kindle Fire is only available in the US at the moment and I'm sure Apple would want to steal some of their worldwide release thunder by putting out a smaller iPad.

I'm fairly sure that most people given the choice, would take a smaller/cheaper Apple iPad over an Android/Amazon tablet.

It will be an interesting rest of the year, that's for sure.

I still think its coming..... ;-)

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=crs.one;15183091]There's not much of a 7" "market." it's all just lumped in with the "not an iPad market"

And you throw around terms like ignorant and arrogant, but you don't address the crux of the matter...will the smaller size make target elements too small and damage the user experience.

In a side note, your aspect comparisons are off. 10" iPad at arms length is more akin to a 55" tv at ten feet. Maybe there is someone here who can do the actual math[COLOR="#808080",/QUOTE]

----------

Again, like the other poster, you miss the point of the argument. For many, many people, the view of a 10" tablet of any make or model, is just too close to watch comfortably in your lap. A 3" to 4" screen is too small. But a 7" screen should be just right.

No need to "do the math"...

And if Apple decides to make the 7" tablet, they will make it the best 7" tablet in the market, because that's just what they do. They will work out any issues with the target elements, and they won't let it result in a negative user experience...

The key will be price....price it too high, and people will just buy a Nexus 7.....

eyebex
Jul 4, 2012, 10:23 AM
stop messing around with toys and gimme an imac fit for this decade

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
If the target elements are too small and thus create a frustrating user experience, it will damage the brand and shouldn't be released[COLOR="#808080"]

You're simply wrong on this point, and you could realize that if you thought about it, or read through this site a bit -- it's been worked out. That is of course, you consider the iPhone to represent a frustrating user experience that is damaging Apple's reputation and profits...

AustinIllini
Jul 4, 2012, 10:31 AM
I think your logic is very confused here. We're talking about a theoretical new 7" product here. Your numbers should be comparing that 7" product against the current 10" and 3" products to find out which one it's closer to. So...
10-7=3
7-3=4
Therefore, it would be closer to being a small iPad than a large iPod Touch.
Your numbers compared the current iPad to the iPod Touch, which is really irrelevant. Actually, this entire line of thinking is irrelevant, because size alone isn't the determining factor. The usability of the product is. If it's 7" but functions and has the capabilities of the iPad, then it's an iPad mini.

You're measuring by length. You should be measuring by area. Maintaining a relatively constant aspect ratio.

iPad 10 in x 7 in = 70 sq in
Mini iPad 7 in x 5 in = 35 sq in
4" i phone 4 in x 3 in = 12 sq in

Areas get larger by a larger ratio as they grow. The iPad mini would be closer to a larger iPod Touch.

mantan
Jul 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Apple very willingly killed off iPod Mini and replaced it with Nano when Mini was the best selling iPod. They also had no problem releasing the new iPod Touch to disrupt iPod Nano when Nano was probably the best selling MP3 player in the world.

A 7.85" tablet in the $200-300 range will be a perfect device to pick up the slacks in the declining sales of iPod. It might canibalize the existing iPad sales to an extent, but the amount of new customers gained will be enormous. Plus I expect a lot of current iPad users will buy both iPads. In a way, this is Apple's response to large display phones as well, especially if it comes with a 3G/LTE option.

I agree. People are looking at the wrong end of the spectrum.

The product that increasingly seems out of place is the iPod Touch. Before the iPad and cheap iPhone (free with contract 3GS and $99 8 gig 4), it was often used as a way to break kids/teens into the Apple ecosystem. But now it seems a bit of an odd duck. It's only advantage is storage. But without the functionality of a phone or bigger screen size - it suddenly seems underwhelming.

A 7 inch iPad isn't going to cannibalize iPad sales as much as boost sales at the sub $400 end of the spectrum.

Two different devices, two different needs. A lot of families who share an iPad would be a lot more willing to buy a $249-$349 device for a second/third unit then wait a year or two for hand me downs.

Remember, the people on this board are hard core Apple enthusiasts who happily drop $700-$1000 for the latest version. Most users would welcome a more cost effective alternative.

Dbrown
Jul 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
Why would Apple voluntarily undercut their 9.5" iPad by selling a 7" iPad?? That makes absolutely no sense to me and I don't see any overwhelming demand for a smaller tablet.

The only way I can see this happening is as a remote control for the new Apple TV

I'm willing to bet you real money that if a 7" ipad does come out, it will outsell the bigger version by a comfortable margin.

sweetbrat
Jul 4, 2012, 11:06 AM
You're measuring by length. You should be measuring by area. Maintaining a relatively constant aspect ratio.

Areas get larger by a larger ratio as they grow. The iPad mini would be closer to a larger iPod Touch.

I understand area. That wasn't what the post I replied to was talking about, though. There was no mention of area.

apolloa
Jul 4, 2012, 11:07 AM
Simple concept: You sell a product that people want to buy, and you capture the majority of the sales for that product. Given the choice of a 7" Android device, or a 7" iOS device, at roughly the same ballpark price, I'm confident people will select the iOS device. Hence, Apple will "dominate" the 7" tablet market....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

THAT is ALL I have to say to someone who is utterly deluded enough to believe Apple would sell a 7" iPad for the same price as the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7!

In the UK the 7" iPad would replace the iPad 2 and I would bet it costs the same too which is twice the price of a Nexus 7! Ballpark price my ass...

Ryth
Jul 4, 2012, 11:07 AM
The one thing I don't buy is the screen not being retina.

Considering this 7" iTouch would be used as a reader outside, on the bus, Metro, etc...why would Apple put out a device that didn't have Retina??? It makes NO SENSE.

Razor-sharp text. Richer colors. The Retina display transforms the entire iPad experience. So everything looks and feels incredibly lifelike and perfectly detailed.

And for the MacBookPro Retina, it also reduces glare.

So two key selling points of retina, crisper text and images and reduced glare, would not be on the new 7" iTouch...a device that Apple knows would be used by the type of user that uses a Kindle Fire, Nook, etc...

NOT
BUYING
IT

apolloa
Jul 4, 2012, 11:18 AM
Let me iterate my pricing argument for those of you who just don't get it.
In the UK.

iPod STARTS at 10 MORE then the 8GB Nexus 7":

iPod starts from 169:
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch/select

Nexus 7" starts from 159:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb

iPad 2 starts from 329:
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/ipad2

iPad 3 starts from 399:
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/new_ipad

So if you are deluded enough to think Apple would be able to price it well enough to compete with the Nexus 7" or the Kindle Fire 2 if it comes to the UK, then well I can't help you.. because you will have SERIOUSLY overdosed on the koolaide!!

I can see it costing from 300 and replacing the iPad 2, or at the very least start from 250, and even then if it has a lower screen resolution then a Nexus 7 that is a hard sell to new buyers I think.

MacAgnostic
Jul 4, 2012, 11:18 AM

Areas get larger by a larger ratio as they grow. The iPad mini would be closer to a larger iPod Touch.You also measured incorrectly (and/or fabricated imaginary dimensions); the screen sizes (4", 7.85" and 9.7") are diagonal measurements.

iPad 9.7" 7.7 x 5.8 = 45 sq in
iPad mini 7.85" 6.3 x 4.7 = 30 sq in
iPod Touch 4" 3.5 x 2.0 = 7 sq in
iPod Touch 3.5" 3.0 x 2.0 = 6 sq in

The iPad mini is 53% smaller (15 sq in) than the iPad and 333% larger (23 sq in) than the 4" iPod Touch.
The iPad mini would be closer to a smaller iPad.

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
----------

Again, like the other poster, you miss the point of the argument. For many, many people, the view of a 10" tablet of any make or model, is just too close to watch comfortably in your lap. A 3" to 4" screen is too small. But a 7" screen should be just right.

No need to "do the math"...

And if Apple decides to make the 7" tablet, they will make it the best 7" tablet in the market, because that's just what they do. They will work out any issues with the target elements, and they won't let it result in a negative user experience...

The key will be price....price it too high, and people will just buy a Nexus 7.....

I didn't use the contentious phrase "do the math." but he was comparing it to being up close to a 55" tv, and the comparison was a gross exaggeration.

I don't believe there are a significant number of people who are truly uncomfortable with a 10" tablet at arms (or laps) length. But I concede that there will always be someone.

Surely it will be the best 7" tablet. But just being a "good 7in tablet" doesn't mean it will be a good product. It's like making the best moped.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to make it well. I'm saying there are significant doubts that people who say "choice is good! Choice is good!" are ignoring.

----------

You're simply wrong on this point, and you could realize that if you thought about it, or read through this site a bit -- it's been worked out. That is of course, you consider the iPhone to represent a frustrating user experience that is damaging Apple's reputation and profits...

No, because the iPhone is scaled differently.

----------

You're measuring by length. You should be measuring by area...

Areas get larger by a larger ratio as they grow.

Too...easy...

tubular
Jul 4, 2012, 11:30 AM
I've been an Apple user since somewhere around 1987, and I really couldn't come up with a use case for the current iPad that would cover the cost in the past few years. But bring that puppy in at $250 for 32GB and wifi-only and 1024*768 and you've finally got me.

I see this as being more like what Apple was doing five or six years ago to nail down the low end of the MP3 market with their tiny-profit-margin iPod minis etc. They don't need to make much bucks there; it's more important to show that the tent extends all the way down the road, high end to low end.

cdmoore74
Jul 4, 2012, 11:34 AM

Only if Apple can be competitive with the cost. A $200 iPad 7 incher would kill the Nexus 7 even without gps and a faster processor. Problem is Apple would shot themselves in the foot in doing so. If Apple made let's say $10 billion in profits from selling 20 million 9.7 inch units but only made $3 billion by selling 60 million iPad 7 inchers Apple is down $7 billion in hardware profits from the year before. The only hope is for Apple to sale more Apps but that is not a guarantee especially when iPad's can still be jailbroken. Apple's past formula is to make money upfront. Google and Amazon's formula is to make money after the sale.
I love a good price war and I hope Apple releases a cheap premium 7 incher on the same playing field with the Nexus 7. But will Apple forfeit their upfront profits and diminish the need for a 9.7 inch tablet? This new model most cost $200 to $300 to steal Nexus 7 sales. But it must cost a lot more to make up in loss iPad profits.

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 11:36 AM
No, because the iPhone is scaled differently.[COLOR="#808080"]

Please make this statement make some sense...

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
There's not much of a 7" "market." it's all just lumped in with the "not an iPad market"

In a side note, your aspect comparisons are off. 10" iPad at arms length is more akin to a 55" tv at ten feet. Maybe there is someone here who can do the actual math

----------

It's not true that "it can only be good for the company."

If it provides an inferior experience, it will damage the reputation of the iPad itself. And stockholders will see drops

I didn't use the contentious phrase "do the math." but he was comparing it to being up close to a 55" tv, and the comparison was a gross exaggeration.

I don't believe there are a significant number of people who are truly uncomfortable with a 10" tablet at arms (or laps) length. But I concede that there will always be someone.

Surely it will be the best 7" tablet. But just being a "good 7in tablet" doesn't mean it will be a good product. It's like making the best moped.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to make it well. I'm saying there are significant doubts that people who say "choice is good! Choice is good!" are ignoring.

----------

No, because the iPhone is scaled differently.

=======================================

I apologize. Your exact words (look at your actual post if you don't believe me) were "Maybe there is someone here who can do the actual math"..

I stand corrected....What a shocking difference from "do the math".

In all honesty, I think the rumors I've heard that, really, this device should be considered as the new iPod Touch, a la iPod Touch XL, are closer to the truth than it being an iPad "Mini".

But price is everything. I'm not a Macolyte. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'll pay $299 to $350 for a 7" iOS device. More than that, and if the Nexus 7 does everything I need it to do, and does it well for way less money, then resistance will be futile, and the Google Borg shall win out....

champ01
Jul 4, 2012, 11:38 AM
I can post this over and over again.

Seems to never get old.

http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/50000/2000/500/152554/152554.strip.gif

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 11:51 AM

Seems to never get old.

Image (http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/50000/2000/500/152554/152554.strip.gif)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...and come November 1st we'll all hear about how you camped out 7 days straight to be the first person within 100 miles to buy the new 7" iPad mini, and how, without any single shred of doubt, it is the most magnificent device ever created in the history of the world, and that it has completely and totally transformed your life, forever (...or at least until the next Apple product comes out...)

champ01
Jul 4, 2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...and come November 1st we'll all hear about how you camped out 7 days straight to be the first person within 100 miles to buy the new 7" iPad mini, and how, without any single shred of doubt, it is the most magnificent device ever created in the history of the world, and that it has completely and totally transformed your life, forever (...or at least until the next Apple product comes out...)

I don't care for a 7 inch iPad or a 4 inch iPhone. I like the products at the size they are.

I don't go for hypes, I choose good products.

mantan
Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 PM

Seems to never get old.

Image (http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/100000/50000/2000/500/152554/152554.strip.gif)

This would make a lot more sense if the iPad mini was designed to be a phone. To me it seems more like a shot at the big screen phones that are creeping up.

The winning element to the a 7-inch iPad will be price. The phone market is fine. But there are a lot of people who would like a alternative to the iPad with a larger screen than a iPod touch. That would be attractive not as a bad tablet....but as a cost effective option. Especially for people looking for second/third device for the household.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 12:01 PM
I don't care for a 7 inch iPad or a 4 inch iPhone. I like the products at the size they are.

And I believe you and take you at your word. That's why you'll be buying the 7" iPad Mini!

sweetbrat
Jul 4, 2012, 12:08 PM

You like them the size they are. Others want something different. I don't go for hype, either. I want things that would work well for me. Just because something is different, it doesn't mean it's a bad product. It hasn't even been released yet and you already know it would be sub-par. You must be clairvoyant.

mrnoglue
Jul 4, 2012, 12:15 PM

Hit the nail right on the head

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 12:27 PM
=======================================

I apologize. Your exact words (look at your actual post if you don't believe me) were "Maybe there is someone here who can do the actual math"..

I stand corrected....What a shocking difference from "do the math".

In all honesty, I think the rumors I've heard that, really, this device should be considered as the new iPod Touch, a la iPod Touch XL, are closer to the truth than it being an iPad "Mini".

But price is everything. I'm not a Macolyte. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'll pay $299 to $350 for a 7" iOS device. More than that, and if the Nexus 7 does everything I need it to do, and does it well for way less money, then resistance will be futile, and the Google Borg shall win out....

I know what I said. Shocking or not, there is a significant difference between what I said and the condescending command "do the math."

And i agree; I would be more confident in a bigger iPod touch that simply scales up iPod apps.

And while I admit, for some customers, price is everything. But apple doesn't operate on that premise; they say quality is everything. So if the quality isn't there, I hope they don't release it

----------

Please make this statement make some sense...

An illustration would be how iPhone apps are different than iPad apps

vmachiel
Jul 4, 2012, 12:27 PM
Makes so much sense that apple would do this. Basically, after 400 million form factors, the most popular ones have been around 7 and around 10 inches. Apple kills it at the 10 inch mark, and the nexus 7 destroys the competition at the 7 inch mark.

Apple wants a piece of that:)

poloponies
Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
If Apple can sell a $399 iPad 2, knock at least $150 off for going with a smaller screen, smaller battery, etc.

Apple could sell these at a lower cost, just to spur app store sales.

That's a fine plan for some companies, just not Apple. They're not making much profit from the App store. In fact, all sales through iTunes last year (apps, books, movies and music) generated $6 billion in revenue. Apple doesn't disclose profits on that segment but it's likely less than 10% By contrast they generated $6 billion in revenue from iPad sales alone last quarter at a roughly 1/3 profit rate.

Amazon's happy selling content, Apple is not.

You also can't randomly say "it should be $150 less" when the primary savings is in the display and battery That's about $60-$65 less (the iPad 3 display+touchscreen is $127, iPad 2 is $97, iPhone is $37 - the battery is $32 for the iPad 3, $22 for the iPad 2). There is no "$150 less" savings to be had.

Even assuming, for argument's sake, that they could produce something for $299, then that's $70 less in profit per device. Everyone here thinks "this will expand Apple's market" and while that's certainly true, it will also lead to people buying the 7" over the 10" because it's close enough. They would then have to sell 1.7 smaller devices for every larger device sale lost. Eventually the numbers can't sustain themselves.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 12:33 PM
Only if Apple can be competitive with the cost. A $200 iPad 7 incher would kill the Nexus 7 even without gps and a faster processor. Problem is Apple would shot themselves in the foot in doing so. If Apple made let's say $10 billion in profits from selling 20 million 9.7 inch units but only made $3 billion by selling 60 million iPad 7 inchers Apple is down $7 billion in hardware profits from the year before. The only hope is for Apple to sale more Apps but that is not a guarantee especially when iPad's can still be jailbroken. Apple's past formula is to make money upfront. Google and Amazon's formula is to make money after the sale.
I love a good price war and I hope Apple releases a cheap premium 7 incher on the same playing field with the Nexus 7. But will Apple forfeit their upfront profits and diminish the need for a 9.7 inch tablet? This new model most cost $200 to $300 to steal Nexus 7 sales. But it must cost a lot more to make up in loss iPad profits.

You presume that 7" iPad Mini sales would come at the expense of 10" iPad sales. It's doubtful that will be the case. Most people who have parted with $500+ for an iPad have already done so. The "New" iPad (i.e. iPad 3) wasn't a big enough shaker to everyone dump their iPad 2's, but even still, people that want a 10" iPad will continue to buy the latest 10" version as it gets even better.

Try this with your numbers: Apple makes $10M still selling 20M 10" iPad's AND it makes another $3M selling 60M 7" iPads, AND Apple now has 60M additional people (well, probably some already had a 10" iPad) in the Apple ecosystem that it didn't have before, spending cash like there's no tomorrow.

Can't race at Indy if you don't have an Indy race car; Can't compete for the 7" tablet market if you don't make a 7" tablet device...

Apple has to choose: either it wants to capture the 7" market, or it wants Google & Amazon to enjoy every dollar of 7" tablet profit to be made.

I'm betting that Apple wants to be in that race, because ultimately, it means more money in the coffers, and not less...And in this race, any money NOT going into your coffers is going to your business enemies, and funding their overall efforts against you. Fight or die.

Can't believe Apple wants to die....too many funerals coming up in the near future (Blackberry, M$ Surface, etc.)...

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
You presume that 7" iPad Mini sales would come at the expense of 10" iPad sales. It's doubtful that will be the case. Most people who have parted with $500+ for an iPad have already done so. The "New" iPad (i.e. iPad 3) wasn't a big enough shaker to everyone dump their iPad 2's, but even still, people that want a 10" iPad will continue to buy the latest 10" version as it gets even better.

Try this with your numbers: Apple makes $10M still selling 20M 10" iPad's AND it makes another $3M selling 60M 7" iPads, AND Apple now has 60M additional people (well, probably some already had a 10" iPad) in the Apple ecosystem that it didn't have before, spending cash like there's no tomorrow.

Can't race at Indy if you don't have an Indy race car; Can't compete for the 7" tablet market if you don't make a 7" tablet device...

Apple has to choose: either it wants to capture the 7" market, or it wants Google & Amazon to enjoy every dollar of 7" tablet profit to be made.

I'm betting that Apple wants to be in that race, because ultimately, it means more money in the coffers, and not less...And in this race, any money NOT going into your coffers is going to your business enemies, and funding their overall efforts against you. Fight or die.

Can't believe Apple wants to die....too many funerals coming up in the near future (Blackberry, M$ Surface, etc.)...

Just because companies make 7" tablets doesn't mean there is a market for 7" tablets. The Fire has been the best one and its performance has been underwhelming. While its very dramatic, apple is far from dying, and not having a 7" tablet won't be the nail in the coffin

Bregalad
Jul 4, 2012, 01:27 PM

Apple wants to maximize profit. If selling both an iPad mini and full size iPad results in maximum profit then they'll do it. Competition will play no part in such a decision because it makes sense all by itself.

Currently there is no profit in making 7" tablets so that suggests Apple would be foolish to enter the ring.

But there's a different kind of elephant in the room now. Today selling mobile devices is all about getting customers into your ecosystem and keeping them there for as long as possible. Amazon and Google have both shown they're willing to lose money on hardware to tie customers to their gardens and keep them out of Apple's.

If Apple believes they may lose a significant number of potential customers for life, they may be willing to act in a way not typical for Apple. They might be willing to accept total profits for iPad + iPad mini that are no higher than just selling the iPad.

I think there is a good reason to believe that Apple will not do that: there's no upgrade pricing for apps. It's incredibly important.

On the desktop you buy applications and learn to use them and when it's time for the next generation you get a big discount to stay on the platform.

In mobile there's a minimal learning curve for most apps and there's no upgrade pricing. When the next generation of app comes out everyone pays full price so there's no incentive to stick with your current platform. Re-buy the apps you actually use, copy over your DRM-free music and move on.

The only thing tying customers to a platform is media that still has copy protection like movies and TV shows and I don't think that's enough to keep people from switching to what they perceive to be a superior mobile platform.

Apple believes they only get and retain customers by continuing to produce the best possible products in each market segment they choose to compete in. If there's an iPad mini coming out it's because the leadership at Apple thinks it's the right thing to do.

extensor
Jul 4, 2012, 01:33 PM
Let us hope and pray that it has a kick stand.

poloponies
Jul 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
Most people who have parted with $500+ for an iPad have already done so.

AND Apple now has 60M additional people (well, probably some already had a 10" iPad) in the Apple ecosystem that it didn't have before, spending cash like there's no tomorrow.

Because people who aren't willing to spend $500 on an iPad are going to suddenly start "spending cash like there's no tomorrow."

Geekbabe
Jul 4, 2012, 02:09 PM
This is the scenario Apple wants to avoid. They would get in a price war with their own products. If a $250 mini comes out can you see Apple still selling iPod touches at $200? Or can you see a $500 iPad outselling a cheaper smaller models? Ever wonder why Apple never released a 3G iPod touch but they sell a iPad with 3G/LTE? The answer is that no one is going to buy a $650 dollar phone when they can get a model that's half the cost without the phone. Making calls on smartphones is no longer the primary function.
If a 7 inch model can do exactly the same as a 9.7 inch model at half the cost I'm betting that the 7 inch model will be the top seller. Apple would have to cripple the 7 inch model some way to make people look at the larger model and to recover from lost profits.

You are missing the point though, Apple will be gaining market share among a group of people who aren't interested in buying an itouch, who wouldn't buy a regular iPad due to it's cost. People who would turn to the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7
as an affordable alternative. Apple would be gaining market share they wouldn't normally get.

There are a lot of families out there with kids who crave tablets, if you have more than one kid even buying refurb iPad 2 gets prohibitively expensive once you factor in tax & some sort of cover / protection for the device. A 7 inch iPad, priced at $250 is something that is much more doable, easier to swallow as a birthday or holiday gift. Apple would be helping parents to be able to yes to iPad, bringing in yet another generation of consumers to their Eco-system.

The market still remains for the 9.7 inch iPad.. Except now we'd see situations where mom & dad have them & the kids carry the mini.. Whereas before Mom & dad had iPads & the kids just borrowed theirs.

Glideslope
Jul 4, 2012, 02:10 PM
I know, I know. But, I told ya. :apple:

wolfpackfan
Jul 4, 2012, 02:27 PM

It will be interesting to see what kind of case you can get for it.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
Just because companies make 7" tablets doesn't mean there is a market for 7" tablets. The Fire has been the best one and its performance has been underwhelming. While its very dramatic, apple is far from dying, and not having a 7" tablet won't be the nail in the coffin

The Kindle Fire is underwhelming (no camera, etc.) because it was designed to keep the production cost down, not because it is a 7" tablet. Having a 7" form factor is not the problem with the Kindle Fire. It's OS was undercooked in the rush to production, and it's hardware specs had to sacrifice somewhere. But for $199? Depending on what you want to do with it?...it's not bad...

And I'm sure that about three years or so ago, some pundit was quipping "Just because Apple makes a 10" tablet, doesn't mean that there is a market for a 10" tablet. Look how tablets have done to date. Oh, no, my friend, these iPad-things will be gone in a year's time, maybe less..A passing fancy at best."

There is a market for the 7" tablet. It's just a question of what will dominate it: Apple or Google...

Mchgngrl
Jul 4, 2012, 02:44 PM
I hope this is true that way I can purchase two of them for my children so they can stop using mine and I think it would be great for their small hands bigger than the iPod so they can see better but not too large for easier handling.

vpro
Jul 4, 2012, 02:46 PM
Simply beautiful !! ^_^

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 02:48 PM
Here's a link to the hilarious reaction that ensued the night before the iPad 2 came out, when Jason Calacanis claimed (jokingly, on Twitter) what the iPad 2 was like:

http://onlineipadnews.com/2012/jason-calacanis-discusses-his-infamous-ipad-tweets/

:p

mnemonix
Jul 4, 2012, 02:54 PM

10-3=7
7-3=4

Wow, innumerate as well as illiterate. That's quite an accomplishment.

A 7" iPad is 3" smaller than a 10" iPad, and 4" larger than a 3" iPod. It is clearly closer to the iPad in size, quite apart from the fact that it is 70% of the size of a 10" iPad, while an iPod is only 43% of the size of a 7" iPad.

And it's 'You're welcome' not 'Your welcome'.

----------

Ok, and if you want to be pedantic and compare areas, you should still consider the fact that a 7" iPad is 50% of the area of a 10" iPad, while an iPod is only 34% of the area of a 7" iPad, so it's still closer to an iPad than an iPod :p

Westside guy
Jul 4, 2012, 02:56 PM
Given the techno-savvy of many people who post here, the inaccuracies and mis-perception never cease to amaze me.

I think the main "mis-perception" here is your belief that many of the people posting here are tech savvy. :D

It's pretty obvious most don't understand the underpinnings of tech at all. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, unless they are pretending they're something they're not - but in any case it's usually pretty obvious when a fanboy (or anti-fanboy) tries to pretend.

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 03:02 PM

Love it

mnemonix
Jul 4, 2012, 03:06 PM
After all the numerical pedantry, I personally don't even see the iPod touch as an iPod... just because it plays music, it's no more an iPod than a MacBook is because it plays music too. It's quite simply a tiny iPad, same form factor and functionality, and the suggestion I saw earlier in the thread to rebrand it as an iPad Nano makes perfect sense to me.

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
The Kindle Fire is underwhelming (no camera, etc.) because it was designed to keep the production cost down, not because it is a 7" tablet. Having a 7" form factor is not the problem with the Kindle Fire. It's OS was undercooked in the rush to production, and it's hardware specs had to sacrifice somewhere. But for $199? Depending on what you want to do with it?...it's not bad...

And I'm sure that about three years or so ago, some pundit was quipping "Just because Apple makes a 10" tablet, doesn't mean that there is a market for a 10" tablet. Look how tablets have done to date. Oh, no, my friend, these iPad-things will be gone in a year's time, maybe less..A passing fancy at best."

There is a market for the 7" tablet. It's just a question of what will dominate it: Apple or Google...

When I say underwhelming, I mean sales. I think the fire is a good product.

When the best product in a segment has underwhelming sales, it's not exactly a segment that companies need to join in order to compete.

The 7" tablet "market" was created by companies playing catch up; to compete on cost, screen size was one of the corners they cut. This is the foundation of the "market" you seem to think apple "needs" to join

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 03:12 PM
Here is a link that does the best & soundest explanation of why it will be an iPod Touch, scaled up to run iPod Touch and iPhone apps, rather than an iPad "Mini", scaled down to run iPad apps....

Either way, it sounds like it will do what I want it to do, on the 7" screen size that I like best. Time for a new addition to the iPod Touch line anyways. One that can compete in the e-Reader market....:)

http://temes.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/the-difference-between-7-and-7-85-is-everything/

macUser2007
Jul 4, 2012, 03:15 PM
I thought Steve Jobs said nobody wants a tablet smaller than 10"....

I actually agree with him, the iPad should go larger, not smaller.

Leave the 7" to the cheap Android tablets and move up to 13" or so, so that a full-size PDF, Zinio magazine, or a business document can be viewed on the screen without zooming and pan-and-scan.

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 03:17 PM
After all the numerical pedantry, I personally don't even see the iPod touch as an iPod... just because it plays music, it's no more an iPod than a MacBook is because it plays music too. It's quite simply a tiny iPad, same form factor and functionality, and the suggestion I saw earlier in the thread to rebrand it as an iPad Nano makes perfect sense to me.

Hmm. I agree as well. Shallow and pedantic.

And since you asked, I find this meatloaf rather shallow and pedantic

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
When I say underwhelming, I mean sales. I think the fire is a good product.

When the best product in a segment has underwhelming sales, it's not exactly a segment that companies need to join in order to compete.

The 7" tablet "market" was created by companies playing catch up; to compete on cost, screen size was one of the corners they cut. This is the foundation of the "market" you seem to think apple "needs" to join

It's true the 7" market was created by companies trying to offer lower cost alternatives to the highly expensive iPad, but the demand for 7" tablets is fueled by people who have any number of reasons for wanting something lighter and easier to carry than an iPad, but bigger and better to look at than an iPhone (or iPod touch, or any 3+" screen).

The problem has been a lack of a truly outstanding 7" tablet that doesn't push past an acceptable price point...

The market & the demand are there, just a question of what there is to buy, and an affordable price level....

----------

I thought Steve Jobs said nobody wants a tablet smaller than 10"....

I actually agree with him, the iPad should go larger, not smaller.

Leave the 7" to the cheap Android tablets and move up to 13" or so, so that a full-size PDF, Zinio magazine, or a business document can be viewed on the screen without zooming and pan-and-scan.

That's what people think until they have the reality in their hands. A few of my clients insisted on having big, powerful 21+" screen laptops. Big screen! Super powerful! A true desktop replacement so they wouldn't have to have both a desktop and a laptop (don't bug me about docking stations. They didn't want those either).

They thought they were super fine until they started lugging them home each night and calling them "boat anchors"....now they've gone back to 15" screen laptop-land, where a laptop is free to be just a laptop....

Bigger is not always better....

coolspot18
Jul 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
According to Steve Jobs, anything less than 9.5" is unusable! Now that he's gone, I see Apple is "innovating" again (ok this is a rather small innovation but better than none).

Good job! :D

I was given a Playbook a while back, I actually enjoy the 7" form factor quite a bit. It's a good compromise in size and portability.

The iPad is already too heavy, going 13"+ would put too much strain on the wrists - it won't be very usable.

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=crs.one;15184264
An illustration would be how iPhone apps are different than iPad apps[/QUOTE]

Who on earth doesn't already know that? ... and what does that show other than iPad apps are better than iPhone apps? ... and how does that contribute anything to your previous statement making any sort of sense? ... which was about scaling the touch interface on iPad apps.

gnasher729
Jul 4, 2012, 04:41 PM
Still, that's different. Jobs explicitely stated that they have done 'extensive testing', that's a different kind of argument than 'I don't 3rd party apps ruining my iPhone'. The things Jobs said no to, were things he just didn't like, not things they've extensively tested.

Second, iPads are still selling extremely well. I think a new smaller iPad would cannibalize both sales and profit.

The things that Steve Jobs said "no" to were things where Steve Jobs, after considerable thought, with the input of all the relevant people at Apple, came to the conclusion that trying to build and sell these things was not, at that point in time, in Apple's best interest.

Now how he sold that "no" to the public is an entirely different matter.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 04:54 PM
The things that Steve Jobs said "no" to were things where Steve Jobs, after considerable thought, with the input of all the relevant people at Apple, came to the conclusion that trying to build and sell these things was not, at that point in time, in Apple's best interest.

Now how he sold that "no" to the public is an entirely different matter.

And keep on mind that Coke did "extensive testing" on New Coke, GM on the Edsel, 17+ publishers shot down J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter until one of them finally gave it a chance..

Heck, "extensive testing" show that people would never give up their physical CD's, and settle for the "poor quality sound" of downloaded music, and look how that turned out...

"Extensive testing" assured Steve Ballmer that no one would want a phone without a physical keyboard that wasn't focused on just e-mail. He guffawed at the very thought..

"Extensive testing" assured Bill Gates that that whole internet-thing was way overblown...

"Extensive testing" told the bosses at RIM that they could skate by for years without innovating, because crackberry users were hooked for life...(I think those bosses have since been replaced)...

"Extensive testing", in the end, means very little, and actual success means everything...

crs.one
Jul 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
Who on earth doesn't already know that? ... and what does that show other than iPad apps are better than iPhone apps? ... and how does that contribute anything to your previous statement making any sort of sense? ... which was about scaling the touch interface on iPad apps.

I don't know how to make it any simpler. The reason the iPhone target objects are not too small is because it is scaled for the iPhone. Therefore the iPhone is not an example of how the iPad can get smaller easily

macadam212
Jul 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
It's the New iPod! Hopefully sans the touch suffix.

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know how to make it any simpler. The reason the iPhone target objects are not too small is because it is scaled for the iPhone. Therefore the iPhone is not an example of how the iPad can get smaller easily

The iPad touch targets on iPad apps scaled down to the 7.85 screen size would be no smaller than the size of the touch targets of iPhone/Touch apps running on their current devices -- you get the more functional iPad apps scaled down to work on a more portable device, while keeping the touch targets within the Apple user interface guidelines.

shanmugam
Jul 4, 2012, 05:45 PM
According to John gruber

I had say it is well planned and executed to bring the costs downs, it is very well in production now, at least the parts if not the entire assembly...

iPhone 3GS is 480x320 in 3.5 inch display

What is the iPad mini display size at 1024x 768 ?

How they got the 7.85 inch not any other size?

fpsBeaTt
Jul 4, 2012, 06:18 PM

Um, no. Having a smaller tablet with the same aspect ratio and resolution as previous model iPads will, obviously, not fragment apps (because continuing to downscale apps to support the iPad 2 and 1 fragments the apps hurrr).
Furthermore, $399 is not the lower-end tablet/pad market; it'd be more sensible to label that as the mid-range market. $199 to $299 would be considered low-end; Apple would be wise to appease this market with a form factor suited to a large number of people.

8GB 7" iPad: around $199
16GB 7" iPad: around $249/$299
16GB iPad 2: $399

A nice spread if I ever saw one.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 07:27 PM
According to John gruber

I had say it is well planned and executed to bring the costs downs, it is very well in production now, at least the parts if not the entire assembly...

iPhone 3GS is 480x320 in 3.5 inch display

What is the iPad mini display size at 1024x 768 ?

How they got the 7.85 inch not any other size?

I posted it earlier, here it is again:

http://temes.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/the-difference-between-7-and-7-85-is-everything/

It's the new iPod Touch XL, not the iPad "Mini"....

SeattleMoose
Jul 4, 2012, 07:44 PM
Not sure there is a big market for the space between the iPhone and the existing iPad. Guess we'll find out...maybe. :rolleyes:

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 08:00 PM
I posted it earlier, here it is again:

It's the new iPod Touch XL, not the iPad "Mini"....

I hope you're posting this as a joke -- because it's a pretty good one.

DeeEss
Jul 4, 2012, 08:13 PM
1 want a 13" iPad!

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 08:26 PM
I hope you're posting this as a joke -- because it's a pretty good one.

Sorry, as Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) would say, mathematics does not lie...

And I don't really care if it's a scaled up iPod/iPhone or a scaled down iPad, just as long as it's about 7" diagonally, and does what I need it to do, for between $250 and $350....

Either way I've every confidence that Apple will give it punch & wow factor, and make it the best 7" tablet device out there...

----------

Sorry, as Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) would say, mathematics does not lie...

And I don't really care if it's a scaled up iPod/iPhone or a scaled down iPad, just as long as it's about 7" diagonally, and does what I need it to do, for between $250 and $350....

Either way I've every confidence that Apple will give it punch & wow factor, and make it the best 7" tablet device out there...

And, watch as all the Macolytes and Apple fanboys will say "See? We were right! St. Steve said that there would never be an iPad smaller than 10", and there's not! He just never said that that there wouldn't be a bigger iPod! And now there is! All glory to Apple! Now give me my 7" iPod Touch! I must have it or I will die, die, die!"

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 08:27 PM

I'm still not sure if you've done this, but if you read through the first five comments, even the author of the blog realizes he's got it wrong and reverses his position.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'm still not sure if you've done this, but if you read through the first five comments, even the author of the blog realizes he's got it wrong and reverses his position.

There are other articles pointing out the same mathematics involving the alleged components and parts...

An upscaled iPod Touch just makes more sense than a scaled down iPad. You can give it WiFi and not have to worry about all the cell carrier hassles, and that will allow them to offer it at a lower price point and still make a profit

People will buy it it droves because it will be lighter, easier to carry, yet won't really replace their iPad. It will be a much better gaming and eReader platform than the current iPod Touch. If they need to go somewhere without Wifi, they'll take their iPad; If they don't, they'll take the iPod XL. Or maybe they will take both, and use what works best as they travel. Either way, Apple wins.

It will happen. Apple just isn't going to cede the 7" device market to Android/Google. They know if they offer anything in that class, it will quickly blow out the competition...

----------

Well, he reversed himself in saying that it would be a scaled down iPad instead of a scaled up iPod, but not that there would not be a 7" device at all. And that also leads to this link:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/05/seven-inch-ipad/

Which makes the compelling broad-based argument for any 7" Apple device..

It will happen. I just hope that I don't have to wait until after Christmas to get mine...

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2012, 08:53 PM
Well, he reversed himself in saying that it would be a scaled down iPad instead of a scaled up iPod, but not that there would not be a 7" device at all. And that also leads to this link:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/05/seven-inch-ipad/

Which makes the compelling broad-based argument for any 7" Apple device..

It will happen. I just hope that I don't have to wait until after Christmas to get mine...

I agree it's coming.
I also agree with the commenter on the the blog that if you look at how this actually works out, it's hard not to think that the mini was not baked in from before the iPad was released. There might just be some pretty clever people working at Apple...

b0blndsy
Jul 4, 2012, 09:01 PM
Well this is very likely to happen... a 5-inch iPad, 7-inch iPad and the 9-inch iPad. To be consistent with the MBA 11, 13 and 15 and MBP 13, 15 and 17. :D

Seriously, why complicate the product range with an awkward 7-inch model? I'm happy with the way it is now thank you very much.

Big D 51
Jul 4, 2012, 09:24 PM
The iPhone is the iPad mini

fertilized-egg
Jul 4, 2012, 09:47 PM

Apple provides a guideline for the developers with regards to the size of target object, which is 44x44 points (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Characteristics/Characteristics.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40006556-CH7-SW1) and moreover that figure is identical for both iPad and iPhone. Thus if the developers followed Apple's guideline, the app touch target should be fine.

Kevin777
Jul 4, 2012, 10:22 PM
Well this is very likely to happen... a 5-inch iPad, 7-inch iPad and the 9-inch iPad. To be consistent with the MBA 11, 13 and 15 and MBP 13, 15 and 17. :D

Seriously, why complicate the product range with an awkward 7-inch model? I'm happy with the way it is now thank you very much.

Awkward for you, but not for millions of other people. For them, the 10" iPad is awkward, and the 7" would be a joy.

To each his (or her) own...

Why do you feel the desire to deny other something that will enable them to share the Apply joy? Why to you feel the need to impose your 10" iPad satisfaction on those who want a 7" iPad?

Can't you just enjoy your 10" iPad and let us enjoy our 7" iPad? Having a 7" iPad in existence will not prevent you from buying or using your 10" iPad in any way, shape or form! Go! Use your 10" monstrosity!

Don't impose your will on the rest of the world because it's what you want.

Who died and made you ruler of the world?

Macclone
Jul 4, 2012, 10:39 PM
Amazon is losing money per device and Google is going to make nothing on their tablet. Can Apple get the margin needed in this market?

MattInOz
Jul 4, 2012, 11:00 PM
Why do these images always show the iPad being held in the worst way imaginable?
If you hold the device so the corner sits in to your palm then you can still use your thumb and you don't get hand cramps from holding the device. The screen could come closer to the edge. So the 7.85inch new iDevice (iNote?) could be maybe ~8 inch diagonal instead almost 10 if it keeps the same bezel.

Then on the next new iPad knock the bezel down to expand the screen to 11.5 inch.

aleni
Jul 4, 2012, 11:57 PM
Apparently I don't "get it" because I don't agree with you.

Yes, the idea is great. If the iPad mini is perfect, by all means release it. If its the cheaper steak that is the same quality, do it.

But there is a strong possibility that it cannot be the same quality.

If the target elements are too small and thus create a frustrating user experience, it will damage the brand and shouldn't be released

----------

releasing something cheaper and compromise on quality, user experience is not the apple way of business.

it might happen with dell, hp, and all of their competitors like making a high end notebook such as alien ware, but in the other they're making a cheap netbooks too.

i don't think apple will compromise on quality. they must have found a way to give a good user experience too when releasing iPad mini.

iPod nano is so small, but they don't compromise on quality.

b0blndsy
Jul 5, 2012, 12:14 AM
Awkward for you, but not for millions of other people. For them, the 10" iPad is awkward, and the 7" would be a joy.

To each his (or her) own...

Why do you feel the desire to deny other something that will enable them to share the Apply joy? Why to you feel the need to impose your 10" iPad satisfaction on those who want a 7" iPad?

Can't you just enjoy your 10" iPad and let us enjoy our 7" iPad? Having a 7" iPad in existence will not prevent you from buying or using your 10" iPad in any way, shape or form! Go! Use your 10" monstrosity!

Don't impose your will on the rest of the world because it's what you want.

Who died and made you ruler of the world?

Fortunately for you, I'm just expressing my opinion. As you said, to each his or her own. Just because I said what I said means I'm imposing my will on anybody.

Azzin
Jul 5, 2012, 12:14 AM
Amazon is losing money per device and Google is going to make nothing on their tablet. Can Apple get the margin needed in this market?

I think Apple have several aces up their sleeves here:

(Sir) Jonny Ive and the Apple design team.
The ability & desire to sell premium products (in terms of the actual build quality).

But, I think the biggest one they have is in Tim Cook, as he is a supply chain & logistics guru.

It's no coincidence IMO that there were not the shortages of yesteryear when it came to the iPad 3 release and I'm sure the same will apply when the next iPhone is released.

If anyone can put out a product, with high/top end build quality and design and for this supposed nirvana of 200/$300, then it's Apple with Tim Cook at the helm.

I'm fairly sure that most people given the choice, would take a smaller/cheaper Apple iPad over an Android/Amazon tablet and Apple realise that I'm sure.

They also realise, that the more people they can get into the Apple ecosystem in the short term, the more people they can "up sell" to in the long term.

How many people here started off with one Apple product, decided they were great and added to their collection?

I did, that's for sure.

I started with an iPhone 2G, then to a 3G (when the 3GS was launched), then to a 4 on launch day and then a 4S about 6 weeks ago (thanks to a freebie from my network provider, although I probably would have stuck with the 4 in honesty until the 5 came out).

I also added an iPad 1 2 years ago, sold that in February this year and got an iPad 3 in March.

Add to that a 27" iMac in January of this year (complete game changer for me) and I'm now thinking of getting myself a (refurb) MacBook Air.

I reckon I'm a fairly typical Apple owner in that respect and although I don't personally have a want/need for a smaller iPad, if I was Tim Cook I would certainly be aware of how many people were buying 7" Android tablets.

Not because they specifically wanted an Android tablet over an ipad per se, but because they want/need a tablet, but they can't afford to spend 300/400 on an iPad.

That's a massive untapped market for Apple and as I say, the more people they can get onto an Apple product, the more people they have to sell the rest of their products to (not to mention, it's one less person buying an Android device-whether it be a tablet or a phone).

Isn't it true what they say-"One you go Mac, you never go back"!?

bassfingers
Jul 5, 2012, 12:56 AM

Too confusing

ctrlshft
Jul 5, 2012, 12:57 AM
As well argued as something like this has been, I still want one. Yes this rumor has been around forever, and I'm sure when Steve denounced smaller tablet sizes, I think there was some merit, but as this type of tech gets more and more robust and miniturized and resolution soars, it's only natural that the market needs change, and what was a sound exclusion then, is now perhaps something finally worth reconsidering.

I love the idea of using my iPad as a convenient device in my studio and as a reading/browsing anywhere I want kind of thing, but as-is it's just kind of usually a smidge too big to be comfortable, imo. The weight is another thing entirely, but it's shape usually lends itself to need to be put down, not held for any length of time. This is the opposite of what I want. I want something bigger than my phone but still in that easy to hold for a good period of time area. I really like the smaller design concept of this with the same resolution in a smaller space. iPad Mini would be an ideal reader for me amongst all the other things I like to use mine for.

(Here's still hoping...)

tex210
Jul 5, 2012, 02:40 AM
Let's suppose it has an aspect ratio of 1.5:1 like the iPhone, instead of 4:3 like the iPad.
The iPod has a resolution of 960 x 640. Could they double that to 1920 x 1280 and bump the size? What size would it have to be to be considered Retina or for that 44x44 HIG? I know people did the math for resizing the iPad, but what about this? Also to those mathematicians out there, what if it was that 16:9 ratio rumored for the iphone(what resolution would that be?), what size could it be then?
In comparison, the nexus 7 has an aspect of 1.6:1 and a resolution of 1280 x 800. I also remember comments out there about nexus 7's os being more phone than tablet due to it's size. Perhaps we should embrace the whole bigger iPod for the whole usability reason.

Nightarchaon
Jul 5, 2012, 03:43 AM
Ahh the bi-annual 7 inch iPad rumor, pass the salt, i need a pinch to put with it.

macUser2007
Jul 5, 2012, 04:02 AM
That's what people think until they have the reality in their hands. A few of my clients insisted on having big, powerful 21+" screen laptops....
Bigger is not always better....

And how does this relate to a 13" tablet?

10" tablets (like my iPad) are fine, but too small for reading regular PDFs, or for browsing most magazines (both PDF or from services like Zinio). Hell, they are too small even for browsing the web comfortably.

7" tablets are useless (Steve Jobs said it). Too small for anything useful, on the market mainly because they are cheap.