PDA

View Full Version : copy Mail folder and Mail-Preference file from Time Machine backup in Lion

katewes
Jul 4, 2012, 01:22 AM
As we know, to manually transfer Apple Mail emails from one computer to another, we copy the Mail folder and the Mail preference file.

I know how to locate that folder and file on the computer. My question is, let's say if the computer has failed, and I want to restore only my emails - where do I find the Mail folder and preference file in the Lion Time Machine backup?

In Lion, to display the Library folder, we press OPTION to reveal the Library folder - but in the Time Machine disk, the Library folder - that contains the Mail folder - seems to be hidden on the Time Machine disk.

I don't want to use Time Machine to restore everything since all my Documents data is in the cloud. I just want to copy, from Time Machine, the Mail folder and file that I need to transfer the emails to a different Mac.

prisstratton
Jul 4, 2012, 08:54 AM
Allow "show hidden files" and you will then be able to access the Library folder in Time Machine.

katewes
Jul 4, 2012, 10:06 AM
Allow "show hidden files" and you will then be able to access the Library folder in Time Machine.

Do you know a simple way of showing hidden files in Lion. I found the following discussion, and it freaks me out that we'd have to go through that complexity to show hidden files. I'd really prefer not to tinker with the innards of Lion using Terminal if I can at all help it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3204685?start=0&tstart=0

prisstratton
Jul 4, 2012, 01:13 PM
Do you know a simple way of showing hidden files in Lion. I found the following discussion, and it freaks me out that we'd have to go through that complexity to show hidden files. I'd really prefer not to tinker with the innards of Lion using Terminal if I can at all help it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3204685?start=0&tstart=0

There are several "tweaking" applications out there that will do it for you if you prefer not to use the Terminal.

First one is called Secrets, it installs into System Preferences (I prefer this one):

http://secrets.blacktree.com/

Next is Lion Tweaks:

http://ifredrik.com/applications/download.html

and iTweax:

http://www.itweax.net/

katewes
Jul 4, 2012, 06:14 PM
I tried a tweaking application.

The effect was that it does show the Library folder on the main hard drive of the Mac - but it does not reveal the Library folder -- particularly the one with the Mail folder -- on the external hard drive.

That's what I want to do: to reveal the Mail folder on the external Time Machine drive, so that I can use it for transferring emails to another Mac.

prisstratton
Jul 4, 2012, 06:54 PM
I tried a tweaking application.

The effect was that it does show the Library folder on the main hard drive of the Mac - but it does not reveal the Library folder -- particularly the one with the Mail folder -- on the external hard drive.

That's what I want to do: to reveal the Mail folder on the external Time Machine drive, so that I can use it for transferring emails to another Mac.

I just tried all three and they all showed the Library folder for me in Time Machine.

Which one did you try ?

If you want to try Terminal you can copy and paste the following commands, you do not have to worry about these commands, the first line just sets a switch (true or false), the second command forces Finder to restart.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

killall Finder

katewes
Jul 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
I just tried all three and they all showed the
If you want to try Terminal you can copy and paste the following commands, you do not have to worry about these commands, the first line just sets a switch (true or false), the second command forces Finder to restart.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

killall Finder

Hi prisstratton, I did the Terminal commands you suggested and -- sorry to be picky -- it's just that the effect is, every single hidden file now appears. The Finder window now has a large number of hidden files, and really looks messy.

Given that I only wanted to see the Mail folder (in Time Machine) just for that emergency event when the computer crashes (which in my years of Mac use, has never happened) I'm not so keen to put up with seeing all these masses of hidden files scattered around the Finder window.

Can you give me the terminal commands to get things back to normal?

What I'd do is -- once you give me the terminal commands to get back to normal -- I'll keep those reveal-Terminal commands somewhere, and if ever I need to attend to a restore situation, I can then use those Terminal commands to reveal the folder. But right now, for everyday use, it's a pain to see to many hidden files scattered throughout every Finder window.

Thanks!

prisstratton
Jul 5, 2012, 07:31 AM
I know what you mean about having those files all over the place. I always hide files again after I have done whatever I needed to.

The Terminal commands to reverse the settings are as follows:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool false

killall Finder

katewes
Jul 5, 2012, 09:52 AM