PDA

View Full Version : notability recording sync with dropbox

pcomac
Jul 4, 2012, 09:51 AM
if i use notability to record, the recording is part of the pdf that its with. when you upload it to drop box, can you still listen to the recording? also, is it possible to delete the recording from the pdf file its with in the app after uploading it to dropbox (the dropbox version would still have the recording)?

epicmar
Jul 4, 2012, 04:46 PM
if i use notability to record, the recording is part of the pdf that its with. when you upload it to drop box, can you still listen to the recording? also, is it possible to delete the recording from the pdf file its with in the app after uploading it to dropbox (the dropbox version would still have the recording)?

I just did some testing on this question. If you upload to Dropbox as a PDF, it creates a zip file in Dropbox with the PDF and the recording as separate files within the zip. If you select the zip file in Dropbox, it will unzip the files. You can the. Listen to the recording from within Dropbox. You can import the PDF from Dropbox back into Notability; however, I have not been able to find a way to import the recording. Yes, you can delete the recording file from your PDF in notability after you upload to Dropbox.

If you upload the PDF with recording to Dropbox as a note file, you can also delete the recording from the note/PDF file after you upload. The good thing about doing it this way is that if you later need to download from Dropbox, notability can import the note file and you then have your PDF and recording back in notability. Of course, you can't listen to the recording in Dropbox because it doesn't recognize the notability note file format.

Hope that helps.

pcomac
Jul 4, 2012, 09:00 PM
thanks :) if you delete from the app, will it delete from dropbox too?

epicmar
Jul 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
thanks :) if you delete from the app, will it delete from dropbox too?

Definitely, if you are autosyncing it as a Notability file because the file has the same name in both locations. I don't think anything will be deleted in Dropbox if you are synching it as a PDF because it uploads your PDF/recording files as a zip file, so it isn't an exact file name match. I tested it with auto synching as a note and confirmed that it re-auto synced the note file as soon as I deleted the recording from Notability on my iPad.

If you haven't purchased it yet, you should get Notability - it is very capable and has an excellent user interface. I own 10+ note taking apps and unless you must have handwriting to text or multilevel folders, I don't think any other notetaking app is as good as Notability.

jojoba
Jul 5, 2012, 03:54 AM
If you haven't purchased it yet, you should get Notability - it is very capable and has an excellent user interface. I own 10+ note taking apps and unless you must have handwriting to text or multilevel folders, I don't think any other notetaking app is as good as Notability.

I second this. I've also tried several other options, but I always end up sticking to Notability. It's great value for money.