PDA

View Full Version : HP printer and VLAN

cube
Jul 4, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have the computer and a c309a multifunction in 2 subnets with VLANs. VLAN routing is activated.

I can ping the printer but the HP setup or HP add printer programs cannot see it.

Any way to make this work?

Thanks

cube
Jul 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
I think the problem might be getting Bonjour to work across subnets.

But even if I give the IP address to the HP configurator, it can't see the printer, even if I can ping it.

It does work if they are in the same LAN.

I thought it was maybe a Mac firewall issue, but what I tried didn't work.

matspekkie
Jul 6, 2012, 03:21 AM
Vlans were designed to separate networks so you need routing from and to a different vlan/network. As far as this printer it does not know anything about vlans's it will just get the default network and gateway. On the computer side you can make a static route with proper gateway to be able reach the correct network also it needs to have a link (virtual ethernet) to both networks.
Last but not least why does this printer needs to be in a different network????

belvdr
Jul 6, 2012, 07:24 AM
Vlans were designed to separate networks so you need routing from and to a different vlan/network. As far as this printer it does not know anything about vlans's it will just get the default network and gateway. On the computer side you can make a static route with proper gateway to be able reach the correct network also it needs to have a link (virtual ethernet) to both networks.
Last but not least why does this printer needs to be in a different network????

You might want to re-read the post above yours carefully. Specifically:

But even if I give the IP address to the HP configurator, it can't see the printer, even if I can ping it.

If he can ping it, the routing is fine. ;)

cube Is it printing or the scan mechanism that isn't working? Mine has a web page I can use to scan individual pages.

cube
Jul 6, 2012, 03:19 PM
I have now put the 2 devices in the same LAN but with netmask 255.255.0.0
to see if I can configure it and then move to separate subnets, but it is still not being seen.

I have now enabled RIP v.1 in both directions, no luck.

On the Mac called 'foo', nslookup does not find foo.local, foo.local.

I tried Bonjour Browser and see nothing.

The LAN router/firewall is set as DNS proxy. DNS server is the DSL router.

I am not sure what domain name I should give in the LAN configuration, if any, to just have local.

Thanks

cube
Jul 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
OK, the Mac's mDNSResponder configuration was somehow messed up.
I could not see the Airport Extreme in the same subnet either.

So, when placed in the same subnet with the 255.255.0.0 net mask, I could add the printer using HP Utility, but not the HP configurator.

Now, this mac 'foo' can ping foo.local, but nslookup and dig cannot find foo.local

I then separated the subnets, and while I can access the printer by IP, I cannot print or use HP Utility. I guess because I cannot even ping printer.local

I enabled RIP v1 in the router and tweaked pf on the Mac with no success.

I want the printer in 2 VLANs which are otherwise disconnected. These are port-based VLANs, but they still require a separate subnet for each.
So I put the printer in its own VLAN, and made its port a member of the other 2.

But if I cannot get the printer name in .local, it's doomed.

cube
Jul 6, 2012, 09:53 PM
I also tried RIP v.2

I looked in the manual and it seems this RIP stuff only applies between the wireless and the LAN

dampfdruck
Jul 7, 2012, 07:13 AM
If you want Bonjour to work, then you need to configure multicast routing. It doesn't matter if you add the routes by hand or have a routing protocol (which ever) insert the routes for you.

cube
Jul 7, 2012, 11:18 AM
I could add the pinter using the Mac IP dialog.

But then HP Utility would lose the connection.

The Mac firewall was blocking ICMP.

But that's not all, I had to disable UDP flood prevention on the router/firewall.

But I had not scanner of FAX.

The HP configurator would still not find the printer by IP, even if on the same subnet.

Now I found out this software is not compatible with Lion.

I am now installing the Apple-distributed software to continue.

cube
Jul 7, 2012, 11:56 AM
I did what HP said, and it's the same.

It seems this stupid multifunction can only be fully utilized with Bonjour.

----------

Why on the Mac 'foo' can I ping foo.local but not dig or nslookup it?

Thanks

cube
Jul 7, 2012, 01:12 PM
I tried the dscl hack but it seems it no longer works with this Lion garbage.

dampfdruck
Jul 8, 2012, 05:01 AM
This has nothing to do with Lion and it's no garbage.

Without multicast, Bonjour doesn't work. There is no need for any 'hack'. Look here to learn more about Bonjour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

Ping is unicast traffic (ICMP).

cube
Jul 8, 2012, 06:58 AM
This has nothing to do with Lion and it's no garbage.

Without multicast, Bonjour doesn't work. There is no need for any 'hack'. Look here to learn more about Bonjour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

Ping is unicast traffic (ICMP).

Lion is garbage because of the stupid scrollbars, not having Rosetta, and now preventing a simple hack.

If I could enable multicast routing I would already have done so.

cube
Jul 8, 2012, 05:02 PM
Maybe the firewall could handle mDNS with IPv6, but the printer does not support IPv6.