Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Hi,

I have a library on Aperture which I'd like to import into iPhoto. I know they both share libraries now, but I need the iPhoto library to be the main one.

How can import all the photos without loosing edits/albums? I mean, I'd love to keep the original file and the version, any way I could do that? And... any batch operation to import the library?

Thank you

andboom

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
London
BUMP :)

I have exactly the same question. Can anyone help?

I have a very large (200GB) Aperture 2 library that I want to bring into iPhoto '11 with a minimum of effort so I can ditch using Aperture and use iPhoto for everything, preferably without having to buy Aperture 3 to do this (though I will if this is the only/easier way to do it). Thanks for any help!

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Doesn't iPhoto and Aperture use the same library now?

They don't share libraries, the simply use the SAME library.

What I would do is just stop using Aperture and start using iPhoto to import photos. You will still have all your past photos with Faces, Places, etc. and new photos would be in the same library as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but almost.:)

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Doesn't iPhoto and Aperture use the same library now?

They don't share libraries, the simply use the SAME library.

What I would do is just stop using Aperture and start using iPhoto to import photos. You will still have all your past photos with Faces, Places, etc. and new photos would be in the same library as well.

I'm not 100% sure, but almost.:)

Thanks pal, but as I stated on the first post, I need iPhoto library to be the "main one". It's all because of a XBMC addon I use to access my library from the Apple TV.

Thanks!

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
@MarceFX: I think you need to just open the Library you want to use (i.e. the current Aperture Library) in iPhoto. Then keep using that. I'm at work now so can't check exactly how you do this but it should be pretty simple. It's not a question of importing anything. Just point iPhoto at that Library.

This assumes that you have the latest versions of both iPhoto and Aperture.

@andboom: only the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture use the same Library format, so you couldn't do this with Aperture 2. I guess you'd need to export the photos from AP2 and import them into iPhoto.

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
@MarceFX: I think you need to just open the Library you want to use (i.e. the current Aperture Library) in iPhoto. Then keep using that. I'm at work now so can't check exactly how you do this but it should be pretty simple. It's not a question of importing anything. Just point iPhoto at that Library.

This assumes that you have the latest versions of both iPhoto and Aperture.

Thanks for your kind response, but seriously, have you read my previous posts? Don't take the wrong way, I appreciate you take the time to reply, but what you said doesn't help, since I already knew it.

Let me explain again. My photos are in Aperture Library, but another app (XBMC) can't access this library. It can access iPhoto Library, that's why I need to move my photos to iPhoto from Aperture, even though they use the same library.

Fujiko7

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
London UK
I think what you mean is that you want the photos and data that are in the existing Aperture Library (which XBMC can't read) to be in the old iPhoto file format (which it can).

If that's the problem then the solution is not to use the common PA/iPhoto file format but to stick with the old iPhoto file format. Of course, in that case, the shared Library route is not relevant, so that's a bit of a red herring. AFAIK you'd need to export the photos from Aperture then import them into iPhoto.

I know this doesn't really push the peanut along, but at least it helps clarify what you want and that the shared Library route is not relevant.

Edit: actually re-reading your posts I don't think you were suggesting that the shared Libary was the solution ... you said you needed to import even though they use the same Libary now. Apologies, I can't help.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.