Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
So I'm heading to Graduate school, and I've asked about computers there. They are using MatLab primarily for Fortran programming. Now I'm a Mac guy, no questions about it. But the professor said they only offer the Windows version of this program. I fear that I will have to have a Windows Machine for this purpose alone. Which is totally gay, cause I can deal with Windows for programming if I must, but for everything else, I want a Mac, and only a Mac.

Any solutions you can think of. Other than Virtual PC?? MatLab for Mac?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
What are you asking? Is there MatLab for the Mac? Yes. Can you get it from Mathworks through your teacher or school? You should be asking them.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
GimmeSlack12 said:
But the professor said they only offer the Windows version of this program.
Okay... maybe I missed something... who is they?

Are you talking about MathWorks or your school?

If the school was going to provide you with a copy if you had a Windows PC, then use the money you would have spent on a PC and buy your self your own copy (though they really should provide you with a Mac version if they are providing the other students with a PC version).

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
I've used Matlab in Mac OS X since Jaguar, then Panther, haven't upgraded to Tiger, so I don't know if it has problems there but I wouldn't consider a difference. Enjoy it!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
RacerX said:
Okay... maybe I missed something... who is they?

Are you talking about MathWorks or your school?

If the school was going to provide you with a copy if you had a Windows PC, then use the money you would have spent on a PC and buy your self your own copy (though they really should provide you with a Mac version if they are providing the other students with a PC version).

Does your username have anything to do with the game Racer, racerx?

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
WARNING
-off topic post-

ITASOR said:
Does your username have anything to do with the game Racer, racerx?
I've been using the alias RacerX for a number of years now... it is the name Speed Racer's brother (Rex Racer) goes by in the animated series Speed Racer. Rex is estranged from his family much like I am, so the name seemed fitting.

I haven't seen the game Racer. I've always been more into World War II flight simulators (like WarBirds and Hellcats) than racing simulators. But I do love cars... mainly Porsches. I've had four of them, they were my passion before I fell in love (hopelessly) with Macs. :D

banditf50

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2004
I will also be entering graduate school in the fall and am in the market for a laptop. I've been a Linux-only user since 2001 and was originally going to get a Thinkpad and install Ubuntu, however now I've decided on a Powerbook because several commercial applications that I need are only available for Windows or OSX.

Can anyone who has used both the OSX and Linux versions of Matlab give me an idea of how well the OSX version performs vs. the Linux version. Up to this point I have only heard unsubstantiated rumors that the OSX version of Matlab is not a very good port of the application, but I have no experience of my own with the OSX version.

Thanks a lot.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No experience with the Linux port.. only used (supported) the Solaris, and Mac OS X ports so far. The OS X port is completely on par with that of the Solaris. Being that Linux is jsut another flavor of UNIX(-like), I don't see why the OS X version would be too different.

It works on a PowerBook too, certainly not as fast as on a desktop, but it works.

banditf50

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2004
Thanks for your quick reply yellow, it was quite informative. I've lurked on these forums for awhile learning about Macs and it has been hard to find information on someone switching from the Linux world. I appreciate your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.