Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
When I'm writing an article, browsing the web, making a Keynote, etc, I like to listen to music. It helps me think (bizarre, I know it distracts some people), and if I'm wasting time on my computer, music+web is always a nice combo.

Currently, I use VLC to playback my 256kbps AAC files (because iTunes is BS on a single G5 CPU when it comes to multitasking), and it uses around 25-30% CPU on it's own. When I throw TenFourFox and a word processor into the mix, my CPU use gets into the 90's, and things get slow at times.

I'd like to know if there is a music player for PPC that uses less than 1/3 the CPU to playback 256kbps AAC files. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Right now I've got iTunes open in the background playing a 320kbit MP3, at most it uses 5% of one CPU (I got 2x 1.8 G5s). Running Leopard and latest iTunes. Have you checked in activity monitor that it's iTunes? The internet these days is even more bloated (as far as wasting your CPU goes) than even iTunes, I've found.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Right now I've got iTunes open in the background playing a 320kbit MP3, at most it uses 5% of one CPU (I got 2x 1.8 G5s). Running Leopard and latest iTunes. Have you checked in activity monitor that it's iTunes? The internet these days is even more bloated (as far as wasting your CPU goes) than even iTunes, I've found.

Weird, now that I'm watching it closely it seems that my CPU use when browsing MacRumors and playing music in VLC is only 40%, could be that there isn't a lot of content on the forums. Haha.

Right now:
TenFourFox 11-14%
VLC 10-15%

kevin242

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2006
When I'm writing an article, browsing the web, making a Keynote, etc, I like to listen to music. It helps me think (bizarre, I know it distracts some people), and if I'm wasting time on my computer, music+web is always a nice combo.

Currently, I use VLC to playback my 256kbps AAC files (because iTunes is BS on a single G5 CPU when it comes to multitasking), and it uses around 25-30% CPU on it's own. When I throw TenFourFox and a word processor into the mix, my CPU use gets into the 90's, and things get slow at times.

I'd like to know if there is a music player for PPC that uses less than 1/3 the CPU to playback 256kbps AAC files. Any recommendations?

i dont know how much cpu it uses but vox is pretty light weight:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.