PDA

View Full Version : App Store Pushing Out Corrupted App Downloads

MacRumors
Jul 5, 2012, 08:31 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/05/app-store-pushing-out-corrupted-app-downloads/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/app_store_icon.jpg

Instapaper developer Marco Arment notes (http://www.marco.org/2012/07/04/app-store-corrupt-binaries) that Apple's App Store is apparently pushing out corrupted app binaries of a number of different applications to users. The issue, which renders the apps unusable, has apparently been triggered on app updates approved over the past few days.Characterizations of this issue:

- The app crashes immediately on launch, every time, even after a delete and reinstall as long as the corrupt file is being served by the App Store.
- It doesn't even show the Default.png before crashing. Just a split-second of a partial fade to black, then back to Springboard.
- It may only affect customers in some regions.
- If updating from iTunes, some customers might get a dialog citing error 8324 or 8326.
- Mac apps might show this dialog: "[App] is damaged and can't be opened. Delete [App] and download it again from the App Store."
- The console might show: AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110Arment has collected a list of nearly two dozen apps that have been affected by the issue, and while Apple begin distributing a corrected version of Instapaper within a few hours yesterday, it remains unclear whether all affected apps have been fixed. For those who already downloaded corrupted versions of affected apps, the apps must be deleted and reinstalled.

GoodReader has more (http://www.goodreader.net/gr-3150crash.html) on the issue, including a description of how to back up settings and restore them upon reinstallation. GoodReader notes that the issue has appeared on both of its last two updates, speculating that something is going wrong with Apple's encryption process temporarily, and after a few hours the issue resolves itself.While in theory Apple's servers must be ready to distribute the new app binary by the time they start sending update notifications to users' devices, something goes wrong inside Apple's distribution servers, and customers receive a damaged binary instead of the good one that we've sent to Apple. The exact reason is up to Apple to determine, but it looks like some binary encryption that happens internally in the App Store is only halfway-done at this point, and customers receive incorrectly (or partially?) encrypted binaries to their iPads. Those binaries do not get recognized by iOS as valid App Store executable binaries, and iOS simply refuses to launch them.

A few hours pass by, things settle down on Apple's servers, the update finally gets to places inside Apple's servers to which it was supposed to get, and everyone who downloads the update from that moment on, receives a correctly encrypted fully functional app binary.Apple has yet to issue an official statement on the issue, and thus details remain unconfirmed for the time being, but developers are suggesting that users wait a few hours after receiving notifications about updated apps before updating their devices.

Update: Arment's list of apps confirmed to be affected by the issue has now grown to 70.

Article Link: App Store Pushing Out Corrupted App Downloads (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/05/app-store-pushing-out-corrupted-app-downloads/)

MacDawg
Jul 5, 2012, 08:34 AM
Interesting issue
Hope it gets resolved soon
Until we hear more, I might just hold off updating
I usually check for updates every day

BvizioN
Jul 5, 2012, 08:39 AM
This is why i wouldn't chose the option of automated updates if it was implemented. I would want to update apps manually, just in case they are screwed.

Sokratesagogo
Jul 5, 2012, 08:42 AM
Would this affect OS updates too if the OS was purchased through the App Store?:confused:

deecasey
Jul 5, 2012, 08:47 AM
Well Mr Arment please share the list with us because I sure never take that much notice of updates available and instead just hit the download all updates button in iTunes for all my iOS devices.

TsunamiTheClown
Jul 5, 2012, 08:48 AM
Hmm, if the gold be rusted, what will the silver do? :)

Dosen't sound like a rash of pencil-whipping bad apps through the store, oh well. Updater beware.

iRCL
Jul 5, 2012, 08:51 AM
Depending on the nature of this issue, analysis of those 'half encrypted' files could potentially lead to a security compromise. Probably not, but it is a very real possibility. That's just not good for anybody

StealthGhost
Jul 5, 2012, 08:53 AM
If only users had the choice to side load apps so they could easily self fix the broken apps while Apple fixes the issue

adildacoolset
Jul 5, 2012, 08:56 AM
Interesting issue

I actually thought
for a moment when I read the article
that they are pulling
corrupted apps from
the
app store

jayducharme
Jul 5, 2012, 08:57 AM
I know it's only a few incidents after four years, but this sort of puts a dent in Apple's much touted controlled walled-garden approach.

maflynn
Jul 5, 2012, 08:57 AM

I hold off updating my apps for some reason. Only when I see a feature in an app will I take the plunge.

It drives my wife up a wall, because she hates seeing the that there are updates available.

mmcc
Jul 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
Nothing like paying Apple 30% and taking the customer abuse and suffering the time-sink for workarounds for problems over which I have no control. Has Apple even bothered to send out a notice to developers regarding this problem?

I had customers affected by this issue due to a recent update. I was baffled as to the cause and had little advice to offer other than delete the app and start over.

tootall
Jul 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
It drives my wife up a wall, because she hates seeing the that there are updates available.

ha ha ha, me too!

chrfr
Jul 5, 2012, 09:01 AM
Well Mr Arment please share the list with us
He did: http://www.marco.org/2012/07/04/app-store-corrupt-binaries

mastertang
Jul 5, 2012, 09:03 AM
I would consider this more of a nuisance than a problem. Makes you wonder how many underserved bad reviews might be made on 'unstable' apps through no fault of the creators of the app.

PodPacker
Jul 5, 2012, 09:04 AM
Last night I had a bad update to iTunes. It stopped the download and said that it could not be verified. Then I had to go back to software update in order to set it to download again.

The Mercurian
Jul 5, 2012, 09:14 AM
Wow glad I didn't update so!

macduke
Jul 5, 2012, 09:17 AM
That's what happens when everyone simultaneously goes on holiday in the middle of the week… :D

charlituna
Jul 5, 2012, 09:20 AM
I know it's only a few incidents after four years, but this sort of puts a dent in Apple's much touted controlled walled-garden approach.

During a US holiday when traffic on the servers goes up, and Apples system was giving warnings that some downloads might have issues.

I've had about 15 apps update in the last day or so, four from Marcos list. One had a warning and 20 minutes later I tried agin with no issues.

Frankly Marco is coming off like an attention seeker more than anything else with his repeated hyperbole over things in the store. Guy needs a tin hat if he really thinks that Apple is trying to ruin apps by breaking the binaries so the poor developers have to deal with the fallout

Sensation
Jul 5, 2012, 09:31 AM
Dont screw with your developers Apple, terrible service.

gwelmarten
Jul 5, 2012, 09:35 AM
LOL!!! Disappointing for a company that's usually so clear cut and precise with it's updates.

Navdakilla
Jul 5, 2012, 09:39 AM
This is why i wouldn't chose the option of automated updates if it was implemented. I would want to update apps manually, just in case they are screwed.

How often does that happen though? And aren't updates still monitored by Apple like a new app would be? Or are companies that get approved apps allowed to update them without the consent of Apple?

Readdlemate
Jul 5, 2012, 09:40 AM
It seems that the things are getting better now.
Yesterday, 107,000 people updated our Scanner Pro and the issue was noticed in less than 1%.

However, if you are still having some problems, here is our blog post on how to fix it http://readdle.com/blog/?p=1500

blackburn
Jul 5, 2012, 09:42 AM
Updated a few apps yesterday and all of me work fine. Sometimes weird things happen, that's why apple signs apps, instead of running corrupted apps they fail sig check and crash. Yet the updates should have some kind of checksum and failing the checksum the old version should be kept.

Artful Dodger
Jul 5, 2012, 09:53 AM
This thread must also be corrupted with all the negative votes, seriously, some sound comments are getting voted down all for what :rolleyes:

Problems happen and it's always a good idea to know about issues just incase something happens with your product from software, geez…

codefuns
Jul 5, 2012, 10:06 AM
My weather app doesn't work these days on my ipad, it crash just at the beginning, I have to download a iphone version. Maybe caused by this, I will try to re-install it.

chrfr
Jul 5, 2012, 10:10 AM
Frankly Marco is coming off like an attention seeker more than anything else with his repeated hyperbole over things in the store. Guy needs a tin hat if he really thinks that Apple is trying to ruin apps by breaking the binaries so the poor developers have to deal with the fallout
I don't read this as attention seeking. Something is corrupting all these apps to the point that they become unusable, and it's affecting a lot of them. I'm glad someone is letting me know so I can avoid updates in the interim.

Michaelgtrusa
Jul 5, 2012, 10:21 AM
....and no comment.

jclardy
Jul 5, 2012, 10:21 AM
During a US holiday when traffic on the servers goes up, and Apples system was giving warnings that some downloads might have issues.

I've had about 15 apps update in the last day or so, four from Marcos list. One had a warning and 20 minutes later I tried agin with no issues.

He is not implying that Apple is breaking things on purpose. He is just pointing out an issue with Apple's automated system so that Apple can take notice and fix it.

This is a big deal for developers as Apple has changed their search ranking algorithm to focus more on star ratings, which means 1 star reviews because of an App Store issue can cost people their primary income.

Compile 'em all
Jul 5, 2012, 10:25 AM
Interesting issue

Is this a poem?

nagromme
Jul 5, 2012, 10:27 AM
Sounds like the same thing I’ve seen in occasional isolated instances in the past; you really have to feel for developers who get bombarded with terrible reviews and then have no clear path to a solution! I know one developer had to release an unnecessary new version just to force the App Store to “refresh” what it was delivering—and that process/approval took some needless time.

(And even after its fixed, the “average rating for all versions” is bound to be skewed unfairly low.)

Luckily I check reviews before all updates of my most important apps, and saw the tidal wave of 1-star reviews in time to skip the two apps I use that are affected.

gshaviv
Jul 5, 2012, 10:29 AM
Happened to me with my app too (Beat Vibe). I think it is due to an issue with the DRM (the app wasn't signed properly when uploaded to the store?). When I launch the app and look at the device console I see AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110 which suggests the DRM issue. Had to remove my app from sale so users will not be affected.

nex4k
Jul 5, 2012, 10:35 AM
Only one app update today, already with a warning notice that it might be corrupted.
Did a backup of the old version first, then updated, nothing unusual. Worked just fine.

And hey, ***** happens, even at Apple.
Who honestly believes in that fairytale that they never make a mistake?

I have a strange feeling that this is just being pushed because of no other real news.

Winter Charm
Jul 5, 2012, 10:58 AM
Would this affect OS updates too if the OS was purchased through the App Store?:confused:

Oh dear... that would be bad. VERY VERY BAD. :(

I'm sure apple will resolve this issue pretty quickly. Most likely they have a small team on it already - The App store is VERY central to their user experience, so I'm sure they are taking all the necessary actions to fix this.

----------

Is this a poem?

It looks like poetry to me,
but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
It's possible that splendid poet will respond,
but until then, all our conjectures will be unsound.

:cool:

macFabri
Jul 5, 2012, 11:02 AM
Simple RSS app also having this problem with 1.1.3 update that just get into App Store !!

AppleGuesser
Jul 5, 2012, 11:12 AM
I hold off updating my apps for some reason. Only when I see a feature in an app will I take the plunge.

i am with your wife on this one. I HAVE to update if I see one is available, if i dont, it drives me crazy :D

VulchR
Jul 5, 2012, 11:16 AM
One has to wonder if this Apple problem and other recent instances of massive IT problems (like the RBS bank problem in the UK) are hacks that will lead to security breaches.

Glassed Silver
Jul 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
Delete App
Lose all your App Data
Download again

Sounds cool...
I know that there are way around losing your app data, however, Average Joe reads this and does it.
(Yes there is a warning about losing your data, but you know people be people...)

Once more I say: don't automatically delete App Data when deleting apps, it's ridonculous.

Glassed Silver:mac

BvizioN
Jul 5, 2012, 11:23 AM
How often does that happen though? And aren't updates still monitored by Apple like a new app would be? Or are companies that get approved apps allowed to update them without the consent of Apple?

Not sure of this particular issue, however i had many times messages from developers when i open an app, advising to not download the current update and wait for a next update.... due to issues with the current update.

nex4k
Jul 5, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh dear... that would be bad. VERY VERY BAD. :(

Other than wasted traffic, I bet it wouldn't do any harm.

Lion is shipped as a DMG contained within an installer .app on the MAS.
DMG images have a file integrity verification feature which is also used in the installer, I guess - so it's pretty likely the installer will simply tell you it's corrupted and you should just download it again rather than blindly installing everything and shredding your working OS.

Once more I say: don't automatically delete App Data when deleting apps, it's ridonculous.

Not automatically and always, often you just want everything gone.
They should just make a choice popup like when you remove a Game Center-enabled game.

Glad that I'm able to save 100% of an app's data when deleting-redownloading thanks to Jailbreak & OpenSSH :)

dernhelm
Jul 5, 2012, 11:35 AM
I just assumed it was my cable provider or something; but a week ago, I pulled the Lion installer down from the App Store and it was "corrupted".

Pulled it again one day later and all was well.

Nothing happened, BTW, with the corrupted installer. It just wouldn't run because its CRC failed.

bedifferent
Jul 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
OS X "Lion" should be on that list from day one :p

markbyrn
Jul 5, 2012, 11:56 AM
I've installed numerous app updates yesterday and today including Instapaper and others listed. No problems and while somebody at Apple needs to come out of the Ivory Tower and give a response, I think much of this turned hyperbolic, esp from the anti-Apple tech pundit world.

ipsychedelic
Jul 5, 2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

I was getting nuts trying to update instapaper and always would get that 8324 error and google never showed anything about it hehehe.

hugo7
Jul 5, 2012, 01:23 PM
Luckily I check reviews before all updates of my most important apps, and saw the tidal wave of 1-star reviews in time to skip the two apps I use that are affected.

My App Store icon has a badge indicating 32 pending updates but I'm in no rush. I'd rather wait for reviews to appear on new updates before taking the plunge. Given that an app version can't be rolled back on the device (yes, I know it's possible using a mac/pc) and there is the potential of lost local data, it doesn't make sense to blindly upgrade.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a second test-bed device. I need my iPhone and some core essential apps to be working *always*.

dfinecy
Jul 5, 2012, 01:41 PM
Lets see...70 affected apps so far with 628931 apps available (via appshopper) that comes out to be about .01% of the total apps...i would say not a big deal...granted it should still be fixed, but it shouldn't be a big deal

TouchMint.com
Jul 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
Just released 3 udpated today. Already 1 "Bracket Maker" is having problems crashing on start up. I will update as the others come in.

Edit

Looks like "Bracket Maker" is working on my developer device after the update. Iphone 4s with ios 5.1.1
I a friend who helps me with testing downloaded on his ios 6 device and is getting the crashes. This device is provisioned to test my apps and I have heard that can be a problem.

If anyone would like to help my narrow down devices or OS that are receiving the problem please let me know I will send you a free promo so you can test.

Randal.higgins@touchmint.com or send me a pm here for the promo code thanks…

Xenc
Jul 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
App developers will unfortunately receive the brunt of this via bad reviews.

Doctor Q
Jul 5, 2012, 04:18 PM
App developers will unfortunately receive the brunt of this via bad reviews.
That's exactly the problem. Users who have an app fail to launch aren't likely to consider that Apple could be the one at fault. They'll blame the app or the vendor of the app, give it bad ratings, stop recommending it, or simply never use it again.

Major.Robto
Jul 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
I can not understand why everyone is fliping out.

No company and no system is perfect.

This has showen time and time again,

To be honest, It would bug me, but not piss me off.

Its more of a "Oh its not working oh okay."

Then I would wait a bit.
It will be fixed in a few days.

AidenShaw
Jul 5, 2012, 09:13 PM
It's more of a "Oh it's not working oh okay."

Then I would wait a bit.
It will be fixed in a few days.

Exactly why many of us are wary of the cloud.

We don't want to wait "a few days" to access our data, or find out that somehow it all disappeared.

Major.Robto
Jul 5, 2012, 09:15 PM
Exactly why many of us are wary of the cloud.

We don't want to wait "a few days" to access our data, or find out that somehow it all disappeared.

Then do not use the cloud. you are not being foreced to.

I have itunes in the cloud. but I had backups of all my music plus its all off the pirate bay anyways.

There still are burnable dvds and blurays, and portable harddrives.

Apple says the cloud is the best option but we all know it can and will fail.
nothing is 100% perfect, nothing is.

Hockey Gym
Jul 5, 2012, 09:32 PM
This is just one example of what makes the iOS ecosystem better than android.