Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so i am looking to apply to a couple low profile (entry level) editing jobs. i have an animation and compositing reel already, but figured that wasn't suitable here. so i just wanted to get a quick idea of what an editing reel would be like... because i figure sometimes editing is slow and that may not be conducive to the usual 1-5 minute reel that i am familiar with...

most likely what i'd be doing is putting it up online for people to access... and i don't have a ton of editing reel material (probably 1 4 minute music video, and my 3.5 minute animation i edited...).

would it be best to have full, complete pieces? or do i need to try to cut them down? i guess i'm just confused because with the usual shortness of a reel, it would seem to almost require any editing reel to be all about quick, fast paced cutting...

any tips would be helpful.

thanks

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I know what you mean. Slow and mellow editing style doesn't fit well with a short showreel...

But I think it's a must. You need to show your potential clients what you can do, and pack lots of it into a 3-5 minute piece. This way they can see that you may have some calm aspects, but you avoid boring them.

Not sure if that was any help.... but I'd try and condense your work rather than show the whole lot.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You will need to shave it down to a 4min or less reel. What you can do, and this works especially well for DVD, is put complete works on there as well (either at the end of the VHS tape or in a "bonus" section on the DVD).

What you can do, for the longer pieces, is make a 1 or 2 minute trailer for those pieces and put that on your reel.

Making a reel of long form stuff is a bit of a sticky wicket. There's just not an entirely good way to go about it.

Lethal

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Coming from a film major, I would suggest using your best cuts in regards to emmotion. Have you heard of the 7 Rules of Editing? Have you edited film or just digital editing?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
OnceUGoMac said:
Have you heard of the 7 Rules of Editing? Have you edited film or just digital editing?
List them please. The only rules I know were the ones I read from "Blink of an Eye" by Walter Murch.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
OnceUGoMac said:
Coming from a film major, I would suggest using your best cuts in regards to emmotion. Have you heard of the 7 Rules of Editing? Have you edited film or just digital editing?

coming from a film graduate, i guess you meant "emotion"? :rolleyes:

lacero- that's what i'm familiar with too.

lethal- thanks.. the good news is that my two films that i'd use are both short and relatively quick cutting, so they won't be super hard to cut into a short reel, versus a longer, slower piece. and i've actually done what you suggested (putting entire pieces after the reel itself) for my animation reel, so that's familiar ground too.

since i'll be emailing links to places along with my resume/cover letter, i was thinking i may just put up both pieces and link them as separate films, probably with a central "reel" page of 3ish minutes of the best cuts in the films...

thanks for the tips

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
jelloshotsrule said:
coming from a film graduate, i guess you meant "emotion"? :rolleyes:

Wow, you showed me. Where did you graduate that you don't know how to make a reel?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
what was the point of saying "coming from a film major"? lethal didn't say "coming from a professional editor" and yet i knew he knew what he was talking about.

i focused in animation, hence why i already have an animation reel.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I said "coming from a film major" to let you know that I had experience in film reels. Apologies if being a film major upsets you. Where did you graduate?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
fair enough, my apologies for taking it wrong.

in general though, i don't like film majors. trying to hard to be artsy

i went to a school in new york

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.