Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
I'm seriously thinking about getting the default config for my iBook and upgrading the disk myself. I'm just curious of a few things.

If you have an Apple authorized company do it, do they call up Apple and let them know it was upgraded so you don't have warranty issues?

Are they going to complain about the speed of the disk and claim the extra heat did bad things?

Am I getting myself into potential trouble here?

I called up a local store and they quoted my $30 to do it. I'm kind of worried that the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue and was quoting me the price to put a HD in a desktop Mac though.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Yer local guy has never opened an iBook...

The new hard drive will not be covered by Apple warranty, and informing Apple of it would be counter-productive.

If there is any damage to the machine attributable to the hard drive or the installation of same, the Apple warranty may be voided.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
CanadaRAM said:
Yer local guy has never opened an iBook...

The new hard drive will not be covered by Apple warranty, and informing Apple of it would be counter-productive.

If there is any damage to the machine attributable to the hard drive or the installation of same, the Apple warranty may be voided.

This store sells Apple products. The guy I spoke to in the repair department undoubtedly had no clue on the iBook procedure. But they are an authorized Apple service center.

I am under the impression that if you get the HD installed at an Apple service center, the warranty is still valid.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
tsk said:
I am under the impression that if you get the HD installed at an Apple service center, the warranty is still valid.

Can you ask for some kind of signed document on Apple letterhead stating that the repair does not void the warranty? Sort of a high maintenance request to make of a repair person though.... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.