PDA

View Full Version : Customizing the apps in the Utilities (Recovery HD)

plasticphyte
Jul 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
Hi guys,

I've been searching around on Google for any tips/pointers on how to add your own applications to the Utilities menu you get when booting into either the Recovery HD or Mac OS X Install process.

My GoogleFu has mostly returned all the generic tips on how to create a bootable USB from the InstallESD.dmg etc, but nothing terribly useful aside from an afp548.com article on the InstallESD.dmg used by Apple, which indicates it's possible to do as Google have apparently done it.

Has anyone here done it?

GGJstudios
Jul 6, 2012, 09:05 AM
I've been searching around on Google for any tips/pointers on how to add your own applications to the Utilities menu you get when booting into either the Recovery HD or Mac OS X Install process.
The whole point of having the recovery partition is to be able to recover from problems, including problems created by 3rd party apps. Adding 3rd party apps to that process, even if you could do it, is a very bad idea. It could create instability in the recovery process and could introduce an app that itself may be unstable. Of course, it's your Mac and you can do what you like, but I would highly recommend you don't even consider it.

Bear
Jul 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
Hi guys,

My GoogleFu has mostly returned all the generic tips on how to create a bootable USB from the InstallESD.dmg etc, but nothing terribly useful aside from an afp548.com article on the InstallESD.dmg used by Apple, which indicates it's possible to do as Google have apparently done it.

Has anyone here done it?Get a fast 32GB (or bigger if needed) SD card or USB drive (depending on the type of Mac this is for) install OS X to it and add the utilities you're looking for to that.

This leaves your recovery partition alone and gives you an alternate OS X boot device you can use for other utilities.

As a side note, the recovery partition doesn't have much room in it to add anything to it anyway.

robgendreau
Jul 6, 2012, 01:37 PM
Before Apple got around to it two of the major drive recovery software developers came up with solutions to this: TechTool uses what they call an "eDrive" which is essentially a partition with a stripped down system and recovery tools. DiskWarrior did the same with a DVD. Notably, even after the introduction of the Recovery Partition they both kept the same scheme. Dunno if there are technical reasons for this, or licensing.

In any case if it's these two you're looking at then I'd go with what they recommend. There's nothing super magical about the Lion Recovery scheme except for the internet connection method, and I'd hate to rely on that. Making your own recovery partition or disk or stick as Bear suggested is probably a better way to go.

Rob

mac-hacks
Jan 8, 2013, 09:52 AM
Made Guide and here link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1521882