PDA

View Full Version : AirPlay - CPU load or pure streaming?

job2
Jul 6, 2012, 06:10 AM
When playing 1080p movies, my MacBook Air gets quite hot after a short while. Say I mirror my MacBook's screen, playing a 1080p movie, to an Apple TV, will it as if I'm playing the movie on my MacBook, or are we talking pure streaming (= no CPU load, but the network will take a hit)?

GGJstudios
Jul 6, 2012, 08:54 AM
When playing 1080p movies, my MacBook Air gets quite hot after a short while. Say I mirror my MacBook's screen, playing a 1080p movie, to an Apple TV, will it as if I'm playing the movie on my MacBook, or are we talking pure streaming (= no CPU load, but the network will take a hit)?
If you're playing a movie, the app that plays it is using system resources, which will drive up heat. That doesn't change, no matter where you display the movie. It's normal for your Mac to get hot when doing resource-intensive tasks, such as gaming or mulitimedia tasks.

job2
Jul 6, 2012, 11:31 AM
If you're playing a movie, the app that plays it is using system resources, which will drive up heat. That doesn't change, no matter where you display the movie. It's normal for your Mac to get hot when doing resource-intensive tasks, such as gaming or mulitimedia tasks.

Now I'm not all that sure how ATV actually works, but when you mirror your MacBook's screen, do you literally mirror it, i.e., having the media played on both your MacBook and your TV? If not, no app on the MacBook is actually playing the media, but your ATV, and therefore no system resources are used. I think.

GGJstudios
Jul 6, 2012, 11:48 AM
Now I'm not all that sure how ATV actually works, but when you mirror your MacBook's screen, do you literally mirror it, i.e., having the media played on both your MacBook and your TV?
Yes, that's what mirroring does.