PDA

View Full Version : iCloud or Dropbox ?

OJStudios
Jul 6, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hi, I justed to get a feeler for the which cloud storage most developers are tending towards and why?

Appreciate there was a bit of dispute over acceptance of Dropbox by Apple, but I understand that was specific to the oler versions of Dropbox.

We are developing a CAD app for the iPad and hence given the size of expected files, and users preferences, I wanted to get a feel for which was the better option, or perhaps, both?

Thanks for any info.

cheers

Booch21
Jul 6, 2012, 08:20 AM
I've been using Dropbox since before iCloud existed. Seems to have grown on most people, without saying its an accepted "standard". Most people I deal with use it and makes it easy to share folders.

rhett7660
Jul 6, 2012, 10:06 AM
Dropbox for me too.

charlieegan3
Jul 6, 2012, 10:07 AM
Dropbox is great, you might wan't to try Gdrive too

nuckinfutz
Jul 6, 2012, 10:10 AM
Depends on the size of the CAD files and how they would lend themselves to delta changes.

It also depends on how cross platform your apps needs to be. If you're target is Windows and Mac as well as the iPad then you'd be best served by dropbox.

If you're strictly going to be in the iOS/OS X space then iCloud is going to offer a smoother experience for your customers.

When I've got the choice between Dropbox and iCloud as a sync option I choose iCloud every time. It tends to be faster and require less managerial effort on my part and keeps my Dropbox folder less cluttered.

maflynn
Jul 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
I vote dropbox, multiplatform, works as expected fast and stable.

ixodes
Jul 6, 2012, 10:15 AM
After remaining loyal to Apple and using MobileMe despite it's problems over a two period, I'm not about to repeat that mistake.

iCloud is not up to Apple's normally excellent standards just yet.

While it's sure to improve, until it does I'm not getting anywhere near it.

Dropbox is a known quantity, a proven solution. A reliable service, one that I'm truly enjoying. Between it, Evernote and a couple of other cloud services I'm using, my needs are being filled very nicely.

nuckinfutz
Jul 6, 2012, 10:18 AM
iCloud is not up to Apple's normally excellent standards just yet.

While it's sure to improve, until it does I'm not getting anywhere near it.

Dropbox is a known quantity, a proven solution. A reliable service, one that I'm truly enjoying. Between it, Evernote and a couple of other cloud services I'm using, my needs are being filled very nicely.

iCloud in iOS 6 should close the final gaps that it has right now. I'm pretty excited for Mountain Lion and iOS 6 iCloud.

I've had issues with Dropbox as well. Moneywell had some interesting glitches using Dropbox sync. Dropbox works well with file based apps but if your app uses Core Data or a package of some sort or no document at all your mileage is going to drastically.

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jul 6, 2012, 10:23 AM
Both! DropBox is better for some things and iOS for others. I mostly use DropBox for files and to sync some apps; iCloud for most things Apple.

ixodes
Jul 6, 2012, 10:35 AM
iCloud in iOS 6 should close the final gaps that it has right now. I'm pretty excited for Mountain Lion and iOS 6 iCloud.

I've had issues with Dropbox as well. Moneywell had some interesting glitches using Dropbox sync. Dropbox works well with file based apps but if your app uses Core Data or a package of some sort or no document at all your mileage is going to drastically.

I don't disagree. This is no perfect service, and while I've read about others having issues with Dropbox, I'm on month 14 and thus far it's met my needs with zero down time or failures.

That said, I will be the first to admit I'm a research addict, and did a lot before choosing Dropbox. I wanted to insure I knew which file types it handles well and which ones it doesn't.

I have nothing against iCloud, I'm just disappointed that it's not Apples best work.

At least thus far. I realize it's still relatively new and I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, and wait until it will do enough of what I need so I can rely on it. Currently it's just too basic and limiting for what I need.

estrides
Jul 6, 2012, 10:40 AM
Dropbox FTW! I use my dropbox for work/band/studio/... the ability to upgrade space is a huge bonus when you think about it. And if youre persistent you can get just about ~16gb of free storage!

MisterMe
Jul 6, 2012, 01:20 PM
Hi, I justed to get a feeler for the which cloud storage most developers are tending towards and why?

Appreciate there was a bit of dispute over acceptance of Dropbox by Apple, but I understand that was specific to the oler versions of Dropbox.

...I'm having trouble understanding your question. The Dropbox iOS app on the iTunes App Store is there because Apple accepted it for sale there. I have it installed on my iPad and iPhone. So where do you get the notion that Apple does not accept it?

As a registered user of the service, I can say that Dropbox is something of a one-trick pony. However, the pony performs it one trick very well. Dropbox has given me the confidence to stop using USB drives to synchronize files between my home and work computers.

iCloud is a different beast. Only one of the leg of the beast is file-synchronization for productivity applications.

nuckinfutz
Jul 6, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'm having trouble understanding your question. The Dropbox iOS app on the iTunes App Store is there because Apple accepted it for sale there. I have it installed on my iPad and iPhone. So where do you get the notion that Apple does not accept it?

As a registered user of the service, I can say that Dropbox is something of a one-trick pony. However, the pony performs it one trick very well. Dropbox has given me the confidence to stop using USB drives to synchronize files between my home and work computers.

iCloud is a different beast. Only one of the leg of the beast is file-synchronization for productivity applications.

He probably means the brouhaha a few weeks ago about Dropbox being removed from the App Store and apps using Dropbox getting rejected until Dropbox removed a link to their subscribing page which was in violation of App Store rules.

Ashwood11
Jul 6, 2012, 01:24 PM
I tried Dropbox and lost files. Have not used it since.

Benson11
Jul 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
ofcourse dropbox.It is secured and easy to use and have some great feature.

Crazy Badger
Jul 6, 2012, 06:42 PM
Both! DropBox is better for some things and iOS for others. I mostly use DropBox for files and to sync some apps; iCloud for most things Apple.

Spot on! 2 different beasts for different things. iCloud for syncing mail/calendar/contacts. Dropbox for file sharing.

robdam1001
Jul 6, 2012, 08:21 PM
2 different solutions but DB for file backup/access.

Abazigal
Jul 6, 2012, 09:16 PM
Dropbox so far, but I am really looking forward to mountain lion's ability to sync documents directly via a folder (like Dropbox). Currently, the irritating thing about dropbox is that after editing a document, it isn't easy to get it back into dropbox!:(

robdam1001
Jul 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dropbox so far, but I am really looking forward to mountain lion's ability to sync documents directly via a folder (like Dropbox). Currently, the irritating thing about dropbox is that after editing a document, it isn't easy to get it back into dropbox!:(

Huh? If it's in Dropbox then it will automatically update once you edit in real time.

jav6454
Jul 6, 2012, 10:25 PM
If you can handle it, both. Also, DropBox is better in a sense as you can grow the size of your DropBox folder through referrals and other events.

MisterMe
Jul 6, 2012, 11:20 PM
Dropbox so far, but I am really looking forward to mountain lion's ability to sync documents directly via a folder (like Dropbox). Currently, the irritating thing about dropbox is that after editing a document, it isn't easy to get it back into dropbox!:(With in files in your Dropbox folder, you edit them in place. There is no need to move them out of the folder. There is no need to move them back into the folder. If you are using Dropbox on your Mac or Windows machine, then you treat your files in your Dropbox folder exactly as though they were in any other document folder.

The only thing that you need concern yourself with is that the Dropbox icon in your MacOS X menu bar or the Windows Taskbar has the little green arrow rather than the little blue circle arrow. The little blue circle arrow indicates that the file is currently being synchronized between your computer and the cloud. The little green arrow indicates that your Dropbox files and folders have been synchronized between your computer and the cloud and that they are ready to be used as you see fit.

stevelam
Jul 6, 2012, 11:21 PM
Dropbox is WAY better than iCloud in pretty much every single way.

RocketRed
Jul 7, 2012, 12:58 AM
I personally prefer Dropbox. It has more features than iCloud.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 01:02 AM

"[product A] is better than [product b] in pretty much every single way"

Nothing factual ever comes from this line.

Abazigal
Jul 7, 2012, 07:02 AM
Huh? If it's in Dropbox then it will automatically update once you edit in real time.

No, what I mean is that in order to edit a document from dropbox on my ipad, I need to first open it with the respective program (pages/numbers/keynote). However, after making the respective changes, I find the only way to get the edited document back into dropbox is to first email it to myself, then open the file in dropbox. I could also download it from icloud.com, but it pretty much works out to the same thing.

According to the mountain lion preview, icloud will let you save your documents in a special folder on OSX, which then auto-syncs with your ios devices, thus streamlining the process.

For the time being, I use evernote to type out my notes on my ipad, which I then copy over on my imac. :)

SpyderBite
Jul 7, 2012, 07:16 AM

I wasn't aware that Dropbox could sync my contacts & calendars for free. I'll have to check out those hidden features for the free version of Dropbox.

wadjj
Jul 7, 2012, 08:32 AM
I find it weird that,most apps that doesn't support dropbox but supports icloud, supports webdav as well, so I just use Box's webdav service, the great news is, Box provides free desktop sync finally. I use icloud for syncing settings and game progress but I don't want my documents in there.

MisterMe
Jul 7, 2012, 08:40 AM
I find it weird that,most apps that doesn't support dropbox ....What do you mean by "doesn't support dropbox"? To the application, Dropbox is just another folder. I use edit some files in my Dropbox folder with Classic applications.

tigres
Jul 7, 2012, 08:47 AM
I tried Dropbox and lost files. Have not used it since.

I have never heard such a claim- perhaps you deleted them which deleted across the linked devices.

iCloud is an infant not ready for prime time yet. Why they could not expand and improve iDisk is apsolutely mind boggling to me.

I vote dropbox

wadjj
Jul 7, 2012, 08:57 AM
What do you mean by "doesn't support dropbox"? To the application, Dropbox is just another folder. I use edit some files in my Dropbox folder with Classic applications.

It's in the "ipad apps" forum so apparently I'm talking about ipad apps, or ios apps in general. In a closed system, support is crucial, otherwise your data goes from dropbox(with the open-in feature in dropbox app) into an app and never comes back.

If we're only talking about full-blown computers or open mobile system like android, choosing whichever cloud service ultimately goes down to personal taste (say, "I love Google so I use G Drive") or certain specific tiny feature that doesn't matter to 90% of the people.

----------

I have never heard such a claim- perhaps you deleted them which deleted across the linked devices.

iCloud is an infant not ready for prime time yet. Why they could not expand and improve iDisk is apsolutely mind boggling to me.

I vote dropbox

I think he meant he had a problem with connection,failed to upload it and didn't realized it.

Otherwise, you can always recover deleted files in 30 days, that saved my ass once cuz a stupid third-party cloud services totally screwed my dropbox.

Or, in a rare case, he uploaded some files with file names legitimate on iOS/Android but not on computers, so the file won't sync down to the computer. That happened to me once and I almost thought dropbox lost my file.

Abazigal
Jul 7, 2012, 09:05 AM
I find it weird that,most apps that doesn't support dropbox but supports icloud, supports webdav as well, so I just use Box's webdav service, the great news is, Box provides free desktop sync finally. I use icloud for syncing settings and game progress but I don't want my documents in there.

My theory is that Apple is deliberately hobbling dropbox's effectiveness so that it will not obsolete their own icloud service (remember how they tried to buy over dropbox some time back?) :(

wadjj
Jul 7, 2012, 09:22 AM
My theory is that Apple is deliberately hobbling dropbox's effectiveness so that it will not obsolete their own icloud service (remember how they tried to buy over dropbox some time back?) :(

It's more nature than deliberation. Seamless integration and openness don't really play well together.

ReallyBigFeet
Jul 7, 2012, 10:29 AM

We are developing a CAD app for the iPad and hence given the size of expected files, and users preferences, I wanted to get a feel for which was the better option, or perhaps, both?

Thanks for any info.

cheers

If its a CAD app, I would think you'd want to share actual CAD drawings with real CAD software on non-iOS platforms.

That alone says Dropbox is your better option to me, since it supports all OS platforms.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
I wasn't aware that Dropbox could sync my contacts & calendars for free. I'll have to check out those hidden features for the free version of Dropbox.

Dropbox doesn't sync key value data as well since they aren't document based. It doesn't offer sophisticated file locking so a database could be corrupted if two users try to access the same file.

Other problems with Dropbox are illustrated here:

As a developer, however, I have come to realize how iCloud is years ahead of Dropbox. (http://fletcherpenney.net/2012/05/dropbox_vs_icloud)

For a developer I think it's pretty easy.

Use both if you are cross platform. Use iCloud first and foremost if you are strictly within the iOS/OS X ecosystem and then consider Dropbox as a secondary sync method.

robdam1001
Jul 7, 2012, 02:50 PM
No, what I mean is that in order to edit a document from dropbox on my ipad, I need to first open it with the respective program (pages/numbers/keynote). However, after making the respective changes, I find the only way to get the edited document back into dropbox is to first email it to myself, then open the file in dropbox. I could also download it from icloud.com, but it pretty much works out to the same thing.

According to the mountain lion preview, icloud will let you save your documents in a special folder on OSX, which then auto-syncs with your ios devices, thus streamlining the process.

For the time being, I use evernote to type out my notes on my ipad, which I then copy over on my imac. :)

I have the ability to open a file from DropBox using DocsToGo, edit the file in DTG and then it is automatically synced back to DroBox.

jojoba
Jul 7, 2012, 03:19 PM
I use DropBox because I work cross platforms. IME, it's been great, and helps me sync across Air, iPad, android phone and Windows work computer.

numbersyx
Jul 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
I tried using iCloud on some of my apps to sync (2do and Day One) and had real problems with the syncing - sometimes no syncing sometimes duplicate items showing up. Switched to Dropbox and no problems....

rhett7660
Jul 7, 2012, 08:37 PM

This... unless of course the person moved the file from DB and the moved it back up.

Just open the file in DB don't move, edit and save. Updates it for you.

Mak47
Jul 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
Both products are quite different. If possible, use both. Really with Dropbox, it's pretty simple for users to handle things themselves. On the Mac or PC it's just a drag and drop to the correct folder. You would really not need to do anything there.

On iOS (or other mobile platforms) you would need to add a button to save the file directly to the Dropbox app.

iCloud is automated and really only works for iOS and Mac. If your app is for those platforms then integrating iCloud would be a major benefit for your users--but likely a lot more work for you. Where the automation is beneficial is that when your users create something on one device, it automatically becomes available on their others. Any changes made automatically sync to the file on the other devices as well. If your users' files will handle delta changes easily and you don't mind doing the work to integrate iCloud for a Mac/iOS centric application it could be a major selling point for you. Not a lot of developers have taken the time to do it.

Dropbox only = simplest solution for you
iCloud only = more complex for you, more valuable for your users
Dropbox & iCloud = increased value and usability for users, potential competitive advantage for your app

kukouri
Jul 10, 2012, 02:30 AM
I just end up using both.

Thomas P.
Jul 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
I ve been using dropbox for more than a year and its working quite fine and well and I am getting a great service from them, and I would recommend dropbox to other people as well!

robdam1001
Jul 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
Woke up this morning with an email from DropBox informing me that they're doubling my storage plan from 50gb to 100gb at no extra cost.

steve knight
Jul 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
Woke up this morning with an email from DropBox informing me that they're doubling my storage plan from 50gb to 100gb at no extra cost.

You got the god one. I had 10 gigs and Just got the 20 gigs free. but I had 19 gigs with referrals so no extra space. but they also gave me free packrat (already had that) and my account is now fully free.

scaredpoet
Jul 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
Dropbox doesn't sync key value data as well since they aren't document based.

And if your application doesn't support Documents In the Cloud, of which there are many, then iCloud doesn't sync anything. At all.

Documents in the Cloud is a nice solution if you're going to only use Apple-approved, iCloud-enabled apps and don't care at all about cross-platform compatibility, but there are still lots of situations that require a file-based workflow.

The moment you collaborate with just one individual who isn't part of the Walled Garden, iCloud becomes worse than useless.

Because of this, I use iCloud, but also have to use Dropbox now that iDisk is no more. I wasn't a bit happy when it was shut down.

tigres
Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
And if your application doesn't support Documents In the Cloud, of which there are many, then iCloud doesn't sync anything. At all.

Documents in the Cloud is a nice solution if you're going to only use Apple-approved, iCloud-enabled apps and don't care at all about cross-platform compatibility, but there are still lots of situations that require a file-based workflow.

The moment you collaborate with just one individual who isn't part of the Walled Garden, iCloud becomes worse than useless.

Because of this, I use iCloud, but also have to use Dropbox now that iDisk is no more. I wasn't a bit happy when it was shut down.

Truer words have not been spoken on this subject.
The limitations imposed on iCloud syncing (documents) kills the deal entirely- if fact, yes it's useless.

nuckinfutz
Jul 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
iCloud is not a collaboration tool

LNYMRKO
Jul 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Dropbox all the way!

keeper
Jul 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
I just use box. www.box.com

dtbratt
Jul 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
I tend to use both! Dropbox for file sharing as they just doubled my space for free to 117GB :)

iCloud to keep my apple stuff in sync!

Also, I have a 3 month 100GB dropbox trial I can give to someone. PM and I will send the invite. If you don't have dropbox already that is!

Dornblaser
Jul 13, 2012, 04:50 PM
I use Dropbox everyday for biz documents. It just works well. iCloud, well, it back ups my iDevices and not much else.

Kukulcan
Jul 15, 2012, 01:53 AM
Dropbox is nice, but there is not Even a basic rights management until you pay like $795/year.

We use it for our team, but always have to be aware everybody can see everything, so we have some 50GB additional server space with webdrive for some stuff.