Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
time to time, I notice that it takes long time to wake up. I just open the lid and usually it takes 1 sec or so.. but time to time, it takes about 10 sec.. is this normal? I haven't touched the power settings at all.. Let me know please.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
My 11 takes longer to wake from time to time, even when lid has only been shut a few minutes. I personally wouldn't worry. I think sometimes forums make everyone a little paranoid that something is wrong, when in fact all is well :)

Nanookfan

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2008
I don't know if this is your issue, but I did read the other day that in Lion there have been some random black screen upon wake issues where the user logins did not show, just a black screen. In these cases if you moved the mouse cursor around it would reveal the login page under the black screen and then you could use it to sign in as normal.

comptrgodtricks

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
It probably is sleep vs hibernate what you are experiencing
Everytime you close the lid and enter "sleep mode" the content of the RAM is copied to your HDD (hibernate)(suspend to disk) and the RAM remains in it's current state by still being supplied with power (sleep)(suspend to RAM).
So I would imagine Apple has a made it so that after 15 Minutes or so the RAM gets shut down as well ("User isn't coming back")
It's faster to resume from RAM (instantly) than to resume from HDD since in hibernate mode the RAM copy has to be written from HDD to RAM upon waking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.