Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Many people were disappointed at how there are still no toggles in iOS. Here is a very crude mockup which wouldn't even need a separate interface to add toggles. You could long press any settings icon and a little portion of the Notification Center would slide down allowing you to drag toggles up there. In true Apple fashion, you would only be able to put 4 toggles there :p

nc_concept.jpg

Sorry, I don't know how to make the image less wide in these forums [Thanks mods for changing the IMG tag to TIMG :) Is there a way to change width by pixel number like in HTML?]

Thanks Fresh Pie for making a concept video (see post #35 in this thread) http://www.youtube.com/embed/KcEDAyGlgHU

Last edited:

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
Many people were disappointed at how there are still no toggles in iOS. Here is a very crude mockup which wouldn't even need a separate interface to add toggles. You could long press any settings icon and a little portion of the Notification Center would slide down allowing you to drag toggles up there. In true Apple fashion, you would only be able to put 4 toggles there :p

Sorry, I don't know how to make the image less wide in these forums.

Interesting idea. This would work well.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space

Sorry, I don't know how to make the image less wide in these forums.

I really like this a lot.

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
To me they don't in there at all. They have to be designed to fit in the notification Center something like the twitter and facebook buttons, in the greyish look and not so big

MrAppleseed

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2010
To me they don't in there at all. They have to be designed to fit in the notification Center something like the twitter and facebook buttons, in the greyish look and not so big

I think KOCKGUNNER wanted to show a theoretical concept (which I like) rather than an actual design. The outer appearance could change while dragging the item (just like it does in Mac OS X when you drag a widget to the Dashboard, for example).

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
OP - the write up was clear and well thought but...

The iPhone was designed so that we wouldn't need toggles/widgets. We're not supposed to spend a bulk of our time managing the phone by flipping switches and killing tasks. :)

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
OP - the write up was clear and well thought but...

The iPhone was designed so that we wouldn't need toggles/widgets. We're not supposed to spend a bulk of our time managing the phone by flipping switches and killing tasks. :)

But lots of us do, and it's annoying having to scroll through the settings app to do it...

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
What exactly would happen when you touched them? Would it bring up the page in Settings or what?

What I see them doing is a simple toggle in the notifications bar for Bluetooth, WiFi and Do Not Disturb more.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
I like how you kept to Apple's standard of design. This seems like it would have a great user experience, and it looks great, too. Great job!

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I want thing the same size as the Weather widget.

With Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Airplane mode, etc. then like when you swipe the Weather widget, it shows the weather for several days.

For Settings it should be a brightness adjuster.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Kockgunner, great idea! It's similar to something I've wanted for a long time. I have to constantly dig deep into the settings menus to turn on and off somethings I do everyday. Your idea of dragging or choosing which function we want as a toggle is also great because not everyone will want the same functions.

If that were true, then why do I have to constantly turn on and off my internet data because I have the smaller data plan?

Until the iPhone can read our minds, there still needs to be human decision making about what we want and having toggles is one of them. Although when the iPhone can read our minds, all of this would no longer be a problem because we would all be slaves to our new robot masters. We would have other problems to worry about. :D

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
What exactly would happen when you touched them? Would it bring up the page in Settings or what?

What I see them doing is a simple toggle in the notifications bar for Bluetooth, WiFi and Do Not Disturb more.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys :)

I think if Apple ever does toggles, they will limit choices that can be put into the NC, or at most, have the icon as a link and open up the actual Settings app. I don't believe Apple will want to confuse users and have a full blown interface in NC and have two places to toggle phone settings.

iHelios

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2012
If that were true, then why do I have to constantly turn on and off my internet data because I have the smaller data plan?

I have unlimited data here but I hear ya... you could always upgrade your plan or go to a different carrier :p

----------

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys :)

I think if Apple ever does toggles, they will limit choices that can be put into the NC, or at most, have the icon as a link and open up the actual Settings app. I don't believe Apple will want to confuse users and have a full blown interface in NC and have two places to toggle phone settings.

Right, that and it wouldn't be a notification center anymore... You know, to add to your idea, it might actually be nice to see this implemented in the interface shown when you double tap the home button.

nw9

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
I have unlimited data here but I hear ya... you could always upgrade your plan or go to a different carrier :p
If you're willing to give me the money to upgrade to another plan then I'll be more than wiling to upgrade. :)

You're probably right that Apple wouldn't want to put it in the NC area. I think it will be just as good at the top of the front page of your settings. Doing so will be just as fast as putting it in NC if people put the setting icon in the dock for quick access. I have my settings so it's quick to get to because I use it often.

Having it in the settings area would also make a lot more sense to people, so it should reduce any confusion. I think Apple understood the need for toggles somewhat since they have airplane mode and WiFi switches at the very top and front page of settings. I would want to be able to do what you have suggested and add my own toggles/switches to the top of the settings page.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
You guys will never get toggles because Apple thinks toggles are a waste of time for an advanced phone. They think iOS should handle that automatically instead of you lifting a finger.

And come on, guys, this is a widget. Don't you people say widgets waste resources and are for little kids who want to rice up their phone?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
You guys will never get toggles because Apple thinks toggles are a waste of time for an advanced phone. They think iOS should handle that automatically instead of you lifting a finger.

And come on, guys, this is a widget. Don't you people say widgets waste resources and are for little kids who want to rice up their phone?

There are already widgets in IO6. For instance of you open up the multitasking bar there are toggles for volume and music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.