Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Death-T

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
'Ey! I'm looking to buy a Mac laptop for my mom (sort of a late Mothers day present, my broke @#$ couldn't get her anything and I'm going away to college). I've found some pretty decent-looking deals on eBay in the more comfortable $150 to $200 range but am willing to spend more if I need to given another few weeks to save.

The PC I'm looking for will need to perform these things relatively well:

1) Upload photo/video
2) Facebook/Farmville
3) Basic web browsing
4) Occasional light YouTube-streaming
5) Print stuff*

Here's an iBook G4 I've found on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Lapto...57854264?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item4d02b45438

It's a $160 Buy it Now auction from a top-rated seller that has a 1.2 GHz processor, 1.25 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD, runs OS X Leopard, and even includes Microsoft Office. The storage is a little low but she has an external HDD for photos/videos and keeps her iTunes collection on an iPod Touch.

I think this machine would be suitable for most of those needs, but I'm not quite sure about flash. The only things I might see issues with are the few Facebook games she plays like Farmville. Also,
she's not a heavy video streamer but everyone watches the occasional YouTube clip here or there. I pretend to know a thing or two about computers but I really have no experience with PowerPC Macs. I would like to hear from an iBook owner about this machine's overall performance in the areas I mentioned.

If this probably isn't the best buy, then are there any decent alternatives within the $100 to $300 price range as far as iBooks, PowerBooks, or whatever goes?

*About printing, would this device be compatible with the WiFi printer at home?

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
a G4(dual G4's is another story) would be a bottle neck at most of the tasks you wish to perform. Look for a cheap netbook.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
An iBook is obsolete for modern browsing at this point. You should look for something else.

Erm no i can browse the internet fine on my powerbook except youtube.

To the op i would recommend a 1.5 or 1.67GHz 15" Powerbook.

Death-T

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia
a G4(dual G4's is another story) would be a bottle neck at most of the tasks you wish to perform. Look for a cheap netbook.

Eh, true. I can easily find a cheaper Windows machine with newer software that will be more capable and give me more bang for my buck. But she seems to want a Mac even though she doesn't necessarily need one to browse the Internet and play Farmville. If I can't find a decent Mac that suits her needs within my price range I'll probably take your advice and try something else, but if I can I would like to go :apple:

Erm no i can browse the internet fine on my powerbook except youtube.

To the op i would recommend a 1.5 or 1.67GHz 15" Powerbook.

Thanks for the advice. I've done a little reading on the forums and have been getting mixed reviews. From what I've read it seems the PowerBook may be more equipped than the iBook to handle some of the tasks mentioned above, but I would preferably like to buy something that doesn't really fall short in any of those areas. I'm still considering the PowerBook, but not being able to do any video streaming seems like a big minus even if she isn't an avid YouTuber. Can it not play videos at all or it just really laggy?

I've done some browsing and have found older 2007'ish MacBooks on eBay. Most have higher price tags but some go as low as $300 to $350. But I'm really wary about buying one of these from eBay, and it seems there has to be a reason for these machines to go so cheaply since others are selling for upwards of $500 to $600.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Sure you can. :cool:

It depends on what you're doing..I really don't notice a difference between the MB/MBP/PB if click to flash is installed on Safari

Eh, true. I can easily find a cheaper Windows machine with newer software that will be more capable and give me more bang for my buck. But she seems to want a Mac even though she doesn't necessarily need one to browse the Internet and play Farmville. If I can't find a decent Mac that suits her needs within my price range I'll probably take your advice and try something else, but if I can I would like to go :apple:

Thanks for the advice. I've done a little reading on the forums and have been getting mixed reviews. From what I've read it seems the PowerBook may be more equipped than the iBook to handle some of the tasks mentioned above, but I would preferably like to buy something that doesn't really fall short in any of those areas. I'm still considering the PowerBook, but not being able to do any video streaming seems like a big minus even if she isn't an avid YouTuber. Can it not play videos at all or it just really laggy?

I've done some browsing and have found older 2007'ish MacBooks on eBay. Most have higher price tags but some go as low as $300 to $350. But I'm really wary about buying one of these from eBay, and it seems there has to be a reason for these machines to go so cheaply since others are selling for upwards of $500 to $600.

Taking the above, Facebook games while not a No Go aren't great. My my 7yo takes my computer and leaves me the PB when she plays It Girl because it's too slow. I like aviator and it runs OK on the PB.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
A 1.67 GHz G4 processor is slightly faster than an A5, if you're saying that I can't browse the Internet on a PowerBook then you can't browse the Internet on a iPad.

You cant compare 6 year old tech with 1.5 year old(?) tech. A5 features newer technology and the OS it runs is made to be very compatible with today's internet unlike the PowerBook, where its made for its time.

I know the 1.67ghz G4 would browse internet from okay to fine. But its not the best recommendation to the faster advancing world.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
You cant compare 6 year old tech with 1.5 year old(?) tech. A5 features newer technology and the OS it runs is made to be very compatible with today's internet unlike the PowerBook, where its made for its time.

I know the 1.67ghz G4 would browse internet from okay to fine. But its not the best recommendation to the faster advancing world.

That's true but miles01110 was saying that it's obsolete which it isn't. If only there was an up to date optimized os for PowerPC Macs.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
That's true but miles01110 was saying that it's obsolete which it isn't. If only there was an up to date optimized os for PowerPC Macs.

What miles said is partly true. I dont think the G4 would do pretty well on websites like theverge.com. If you do have one, test it out. If I'm wrong then, I greatly underestimated the power of a G4(estimated from all the threads i read on this forum). Email or facebook wouldnt be too much of a problem

Its also obselete because Apple doesnt support it anymore. But thats another problem.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
What miles said is partly true. I dont think the G4 would do pretty well on websites like theverge.com. If you do have one, test it out. If I'm wrong then, I greatly underestimated the power of a G4(estimated from all the threads i read on this forum). Email or facebook wouldnt be too much of a problem

Its also obselete because Apple doesnt support it anymore. But thats another problem.

I just did a test of some websites and applications of a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mini and a 1.5GHz Powerbook. Those are the time in seconds it took to load them up, one thing that shows is how bad my internet connection is.

Mini - PB
Facebook: 27 - 29
flickr: 30 - 1:23
Tumblr: 8 - 43
Mac Rumors: 23 - 15
Verge::eek: 3:18 - 7:01
Keynote: 7 - 21
iTunes: 5 - 5
iCal: 0.8 - 2

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
'Ey! I'm looking to buy a Mac laptop for my mom (sort of a late Mothers day present, my broke @#$ couldn't get her anything and I'm going away to college). I've found some pretty decent-looking deals on eBay in the more comfortable $150 to $200 range but am willing to spend more if I need to given another few weeks to save.

1) Upload photo/video
2) Facebook/Farmville
3) Basic web browsing
5) Print stuff*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Lapto...57854264?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item4d02b45438

It's a $160 Buy it Now auction from a top-rated seller that has a 1.2 GHz processor, 1.25 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD, runs OS X Leopard, and even includes Microsoft Office. The storage is a little low but she has an external HDD for photos/videos and keeps her iTunes collection on an iPod Touch.

I think this machine would be suitable for most of those needs, but I'm not quite sure about flash. The only things I might see issues with are the few Facebook games she plays like Farmville. Also,
she's not a heavy video streamer but everyone watches the occasional YouTube clip here or there. I pretend to know a thing or two about computers but I really have no experience with PowerPC Macs. I would like to hear from an iBook owner about this machine's overall performance in the areas I mentioned.

If this probably isn't the best buy, then are there any decent alternatives within the $100 to $300 price range as far as iBooks, PowerBooks, or whatever goes?

You want to go with the final PPC Mac revisions. I'm selling my Powerbook in Marketplace, final revision DLHR 1.67ghz, completely maxed 320HD and 2gb ram, 15" -- fully equipped and Youtube is fine. Also have the Monster cables made for this machine. Also my cousin has her 12" iBook 1.33 for sale (final revision)

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny

1) Upload photo/video
2) Facebook/Farmville
3) Basic web browsing
5) Print stuff*

To be honest i would go with a Macbook 1,1 i just got one on eBay a month ago for $200 with free shipping it has a 2.0GHz Intel "Core Duo" ,2GB Ram,80Gb HD, Apple Power adapter & new battery and it was even a buy it now price so if you bid i bet you can get one for less then that:) if you do go PPC Most Facebook games still work with Flash 10.1 even the newer games (I Play them on my G5) The lowest CPU speed i would recommend for Adobe Flash Games is a 1.25GHz G4.

Last edited:

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
I just did a test of some websites and applications of a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mini and a 1.5GHz Powerbook. Those are the time in seconds it took to load them up, one thing that shows is how bad my internet connection is.

Mini - PB

Well loading time shows one thing, but what about website experience? Smooth browsing? No hiccups or freeze on the PB(or Mini)?

Death-T

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Savannah, Georgia

Mini - PB

Ah, thanks for doing that! That's pretty helpful. I'm also curious about the 'website experience' like NZed asked about.

To be honest i would go with a Macbook 1,1 i just got one on eBay a month ago for $200 with free shipping it has a 2.0GHz Intel "Core Duo" ,2GB Ram,80Gb HD, Apple Power adapter & new battery and it was even a buy it now price so if you bid i bet you can get one for less then that:) if you do go PPC Most Facebook games still work with Flash 10.1 even the newer games (I Play them on my G5) The lowest CPU speed i would recommend for Adobe Flash Games is a 1.25GHz G4.

Yeah, I think I am gonna go that route and try to find a good deal on an older Macbook. It seems like I'll have to put down a bit more cash for a decent PPC and at that point I may as well just get the MB. After looking at all these PPCs though I think I'm also gonna buy a cheap $60'ish eMac just to play around with. :D

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Well loading time shows one thing, but what about website experience? Smooth browsing? No hiccups or freeze on the PB(or Mini)?

Ah, thanks for doing that! That's pretty helpful. I'm also curious about the 'website experience' like NZed asked about.
On text based sites its as smooth as my Mini but on heavy image based sites like The Verge and Tumblr the PB lags a bit, it's not very pleasant but it's not unusable. If you want 30 fps smoothness i would recommend a core duo or Core2Duo MacBook.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand....new sig. :apple:
Haha. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.