PDA

View Full Version : 7.85-Inch iPad to Ramp Up Production in September at Foxconn Brazil

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 7, 2012, 04:10 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/07/7-85-inch-ipad-to-ramp-up-production-in-september-at-foxconn-brazil/)

Bits of information about the rumored 7.85 "iPad Mini" continue to leak out. Japanese blog Mac Otakara (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=17085) now claims that the smaller iPad will be produced in Brazil and will ramp up production starting in September.According to Chinese reliable source, the tablet called iPad mini will be produced in Brazil, however production test to collect data for new cutting machine is already done in China.

Source said that, production phase of this tablet will be started since September, and this tablet should be shipped until holiday season, but announcement will not be so soon. http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
Mockup (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/23/this-is-what-a-7-85-inch-ipad-looks-and-feels-like/) of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to iPad 2
The smaller version of the tablet is said to include 3G capabilities. Other details remain a bit fuzzy, but the source who claims to have seen a prototype reports that the device will be thinner than rivals including the Kindle Fire. The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.

Multiple sources have now claimed that Apple is coming out with a miniaturized version of the iPad this fall. The most recent report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/03/bloomberg-ipad-mini-coming-in-october/) from Bloomberg pinpointed an October launch for the device.

Article Link: 7.85-Inch iPad to Ramp Up Production in September at Foxconn Brazil (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/07/7-85-inch-ipad-to-ramp-up-production-in-september-at-foxconn-brazil/)

Jimrod
Jul 7, 2012, 04:14 AM
This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...

NTurner42
Jul 7, 2012, 04:18 AM
This is probably just as likely at the moment as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype that's been touted around. Most likely Apple causing misdirection as part of their new security plan...

^This, I agree.

kylera
Jul 7, 2012, 04:19 AM
The question is, how will web browsing be like? On the regular iPad, it's pretty good -- text links are easy to tap without making too many mistaps, but if my Galaxy Tab is anything to go by, things might not be as pleasant.

Granted, my Tab is a first-generation model that has a 1024 x 600 resolution compared to 1024 x 768.

macs4nw
Jul 7, 2012, 04:24 AM
What is it going to be like? A large iPod touch or a smallish tablet?
To each his own i guess. I reserve judgement until I try it out myself.

olowott
Jul 7, 2012, 04:24 AM
*The device is said to be as thin as the 4th Generation iPod Touch.*

:eek:

MuppetGate
Jul 7, 2012, 04:27 AM

No reason why they can't do this. They've got a lot more surface area to spread the components around.

I just don't see it happening though.

bharatgupta
Jul 7, 2012, 04:36 AM
ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense, as it would either kill purpose of ipod touch or might prove as a strong competitor to all the other crap like kindle fire n what not in the market, its very interesting to see how this all develops, nope i dont think apple will announce this.

makes no sense!

----------

making ipad smaller would not be a good step as we need adequate amount of area for a good web experience and apple doesnt offer compromized products, a big screen ipad can make sense not shrinking it down even further.

if anyone has used ipad the screen is just right nothing larger nor smaller would do a good justice, it just shrinks down everything.

apple wont do it, its a false rumor in my opinion!

mrsir2009
Jul 7, 2012, 04:38 AM

What's so unlikely about either?

TMar
Jul 7, 2012, 04:43 AM
How many years has this rumor been going? Give up on it already.

"The new small ipad due out this year!"

"I know we said last year it was coming out but this year we're sure!"

"OK, OK. We know the last two years we said it was coming out but this is the year!"

Are these stories ran by the seventh day evangelists?

saintforlife
Jul 7, 2012, 04:45 AM
Apple will one day own a majority of the touch screen market from 3.5" to 9.7". You can call it the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad mini, iPad maxi whatever. The lines between them are blurring every passing year.

MeinKraft
Jul 7, 2012, 04:47 AM
What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...

Puevlo
Jul 7, 2012, 04:51 AM
There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.

miniroll32
Jul 7, 2012, 04:55 AM
At what point does an iPad become Mini and an iPod Touch become Large? :o Or more specifically, when does a pod become a pad??...

Oh no's my brain is melting! Is a glass of water half full or half empty???

bharatgupta
Jul 7, 2012, 05:01 AM
Y U NO MAKE IPOD TOUCH BIGGER, BETTER WITH REGARDS TO COMPETITION AND NOT SCREW IPAD BY MAKING IT SMALLER:mad:?

MacBookPro13"
Jul 7, 2012, 05:05 AM
That iPad Mini "Mockup" is simply a case of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbd3E6tK2U

princigalli
Jul 7, 2012, 05:06 AM
I need one.

Eadfrith
Jul 7, 2012, 05:11 AM
It will need a better screen res than 1024x768

MIDI_EVIL
Jul 7, 2012, 05:21 AM
If this is true, then I'll buy this instead of the Google Nexus 7. There are still many more premium tablet apps available on iOS vs Android. Paper is one of them.

Personally, 9.7" iPad is too cumbersome.

Kalebra47
Jul 7, 2012, 05:25 AM
i'm tellin ya; they are not likely to glaze over 'the word of steve' this soon atleast, that's my opinion; all this is my opinion: this will be an ipod touch xl. money they don't have a model with 3g/4g, it will be wifi only. this will be considered an entry level device to the ipad (which i also believe in light of microsoft surface will see a feature-add spec-bump to compete ala ipad pro? maybe..) it'll compete directly with the kindle fire and the new nexus tablet. you are still gonna pay a premium on it for that little fruit logo so i am guessing starting base at $250+ up to the largest storage capacity at no more than $499. this will fit that sweat spot they are missin between the current ipod touch models that top out at $399 and the entry level price of the ipad at $499.

like i said, this is all my own opinion

robinthoms2
Jul 7, 2012, 05:26 AM
I hope It would need a better screen.

tpelton
Jul 7, 2012, 05:35 AM
Cover the range of practical screen sizes (avoid losing a substantial part of the market that would prefer that size)

Offer a less expensive option - desperately needed to win the education market in the end.

Remember when the iPad was first announced. Many saw it as simply a big iPod Touch and thought it would only have a limited market. Pundits were speculating that total sales would be very low. But it was a paradigm shift. It was a computer for the masses. My 86 year old MIL loves hers. They sold tens of millions.

Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.

adildacoolset
Jul 7, 2012, 05:37 AM
While I'd never want to own a 7" tablet, this may be good for the people who think the ipad is too big. If they price it at $250, then it's a worthy competitor to the nexus 7

bharatgupta
Jul 7, 2012, 05:38 AM
Cover the range of practical screen sizes (avoid losing a substantial part of the market that would prefer that size)

Offer a less expensive option - desperately needed to win the education market in the end.

Remember when the iPad was first announced. Many saw it as simply a big iPod Touch and thought it would only have a limited market. Pundits were speculating that total sales would be very low. But it was a paradigm shift. It was a computer for the masses. My 86 year old MIL loves hers. They sold tens of millions.

Now look at the education market. $500 is too much to spend on a child or ask a parent to spring for. $250 isn't much more than we used to expect in terms of graphing calculators. They have smaller fingers, and are more comfortable working on small screens. This has to happen to capture the education market.

yes because what most people do with their computers was web surfing, content consumption and amount of web usage on smart phone was increasing, so apple played their cards right, remember netbooks? they were so pathetic to use and people were buying netbooks like crazy, apple again read all those data and introduced ipad, a capable internet device that was just needed by consumers.

even today ipad is king of content consumption device and i love it, who would want to carry a laptop if u can surf web on a much capable device like ipad? makes sense

ChazUK
Jul 7, 2012, 05:40 AM

"OK, OK. We know the last two years we said it was coming out but this is the year!"

1. Keep repeating same rumour each year.
2. Get page hits.
3. Proclaim yourself winner if it eventually happens!

:D

bharatgupta
Jul 7, 2012, 05:41 AM
While I'd never want to own a 7" tablet, this may be good for the people who think the ipad is too big. If they price it at $250, then it's a worthy competitor to the nexus 7

same with me, making ipad smaller makes no sense, its already small and if people remember ipad was made to compete against crappy netbooks, its much capable device than netbook and screen real estate is just perfect.

i also vote against smaller ipad, instead apple shud focus on improving ipod touch which is their king device for media consumption

jlnr
Jul 7, 2012, 05:42 AM
making ipad smaller would not be a good step as we need adequate amount of area for a good web experience and apple doesnt offer compromized products, a big screen ipad can make sense not shrinking it down even further.

When the iPad was released, it was basically a (great) web browser. Between Facebook and eBay, lots of popular websites have a native app now. Apps are usually much cleaner and would absolutely work on <8". Are there world-wide usage statistics for tablets? I wonder if browsing still ranks high. I only see Facebook, casual games and movies on the subway.

And this is even more anecdotal, but I wonder if there is a local bias towards bigger tablets in the American and European markets. I'm in Asia and many people have pointed out that the iPad is too big and heavy. I've never heard anyone in Europe say that.

apolloa
Jul 7, 2012, 05:48 AM
Still isn't going to happen, and if it does Apple will only price themselves out of the market with it.
And I would also call BS on the idea of it being made on a different production line in a different country to the current iPad and iPhones etc!!

cecildk9999
Jul 7, 2012, 05:53 AM
I was reading an interesting article (I think it was a Smartmoney blog--saw it on Flipboard) that mentioned how a majority of iPad users (60%) leave the device at home. It's possible that this rumored device would be targeted at people who would be more inclined to have an 'on the go' tablet. Although, for me, my iPhone is about the only thing I want to be carrying unless I'm traveling somewhere.

sineplex
Jul 7, 2012, 06:05 AM
i used a iPad for 2 years. i think i'm now moving on to jellybean.

i'm not going to jump through a million hoops anymore to do something basic in restricted iOS.

Jungo
Jul 7, 2012, 06:14 AM
I can't wait - I want this as a dashboard mounted iOS device - for GPS etc. - it's perfect size for this.

Indy21
Jul 7, 2012, 06:21 AM
I'm thinking if this is true then maybe we see one event announcing both the new smaller iPad and the new iPhone.

If production is supposedly ramping up in September for this device and iOs6 is going to be available this Fall, well, Sept 22nd marks the beginning of Fall, maybe we get a Sept announcment with a release in October.

Remember the article not to long ago, Apple is planning to have an "exciting September"?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/06/04/exciting_sept_could_see_apple_intro_new_iphone_ipad_mini.html

I'm thinking an event the week of 24-28 in Sept for the announcement, ya heard it here first folks! lol

Piggie
Jul 7, 2012, 06:29 AM

So if the original iPad and all subsequent ones had been 7" you would never of bought one, and still not own one now?

----------

There's no way a company like Apple could pull something like this off. It will fail. Badly.

So if then original iPad and all later ones had been 7" devices then the whole iPad range of tablets would have been a massive fail for apple?

Moccasin
Jul 7, 2012, 06:38 AM
I think there could be some truth in this. The market for e-books has taken off ( with Apple pushing text books) and maybe this model could serve that purpose (as a Kindle-like device), notwithstanding different screen technologies.

There is a potential gap in the line up and Apple may think they'd rather have some of that than let competitors take it. A £200 or similar price point gets easier to justify. I'd probably consider one for times when I don't want to take my MBA around with me.

Allenbf
Jul 7, 2012, 06:39 AM

This.

I'd buy one for each of my daughters simply for the education factor. At that price point, it'd be a no brainer, for our needs anyway.

jayducharme
Jul 7, 2012, 06:44 AM
The device is real. But it's not a mini iPad. It's the new iPhone. Apple is going to trounce the Samsung Galaxy Note.

koolmagicguy
Jul 7, 2012, 06:50 AM
making ipad smaller would not be a good step as we need adequate amount of area for a good web experience...

I have a good web experience on my iPod touch, I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

Jimrod
Jul 7, 2012, 06:51 AM

Well we seem to get a lot of stories in bunches "leaked" out that Apple don't seem to care about as much as they used to, based on their "doubling down" on security statement it would seem unlikely that they wouldn't take action if true.

The iPhone 5 stretched samples have many basic design/styling errors that Jony Ive would not approve - look at the camera on the back of the iPhone 4/S, notice how the radius follows the corner radius, neat. Now look at the alleged iPhone 5, it's in the wrong place for that AND it's not even in the middle (vertically) of the band at the top of the phone. This is Far-East design - I know enough from working with them that those details don't matter much, to Apple they certainly do.

auero
Jul 7, 2012, 07:12 AM
Don't we usually see references in iOS to a new device? I don't remember reading anywhere there was.

What of this is just a replacement to the iPod touch? A new redesigned, more powerful and larger touch?

Veinticinco
Jul 7, 2012, 07:27 AM
Anyone who keeps saying this isn't going to happen is deluding themselves.

I especially shake my head at those who scream with utter conviction "but it makes no sense!" :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, it'll absolutely fly off the shelves both in consumer and education markets. And when I say fly, I mean outstrip iPad sales 4:1.

AustinIllini
Jul 7, 2012, 07:33 AM
i used a iPad for 2 years. i think i'm now moving on to jellybean.

i'm not going to jump through a million hoops anymore to do something basic in restricted iOS.

You, sir, are in the VAST minority in your sentiment.

Abazigal
Jul 7, 2012, 07:37 AM
What's the point of a smaller iPad? You would truly be better off with th regular iPad size. It seems a little unnecessary to decrease the size of one of your products to compete with another company...

I have friends who switched over to the 7" tab as they found the ipad was too big to fit comfortably in their handbag. Not sure how big the market is, but I daresay there is definitely room for a smaller ipad. :)

GeeEllBee
Jul 7, 2012, 07:39 AM
Of course the mini iPad will happen. Why not? What I really need is an implementation of Xcode for iPad :confused:
It's the only thing stopping me from acquiring an iPad, as I already own an iPhone and a MBP. If Xcode for iPad ever became reality, I'd toss away my MBP in a millisec. Apple: let's litigate but let's also innovate. ;)

johan.k
Jul 7, 2012, 07:53 AM
So what now between iPhone and iPad? iPad mini? iPad nano? lol

hleewell
Jul 7, 2012, 07:53 AM
I was reading an interesting article (I think it was a Smartmoney blog--saw it on Flipboard) that mentioned how a majority of iPad users (60%) leave the device at home. It's possible that this rumored device would be targeted at people who would be more inclined to have an 'on the go' tablet.

This.

regisq
Jul 7, 2012, 07:54 AM
There will be NO iPad Mini.
Just stop posting fake info...
Apple is not a kind of company that pursues markets, it defines and creates markets.
iPad mini just doesn't make any sense.
After 2 years of posting "news" about it you should learn that it's not going to happen.
Get over it!

peapody
Jul 7, 2012, 07:57 AM
This is what I have been holding out for...a smaller version of the current iPad. Probably will wait longer for a retina display though.

leukotriene
Jul 7, 2012, 08:06 AM

Sure but when's the last time WSJ and Bloomberg joined in? This thing is happening. I'd love to put $20 MacRumors bux down on it and bet you on it ;)

shnln14
Jul 7, 2012, 08:07 AM
I don't see this happening, but if it happens so what, I still have my iPad (3rd Gen.), I still love the retina display and I still carry it to school and church, no big deal for me.:D

leukotriene
Jul 7, 2012, 08:09 AM
Apple is not a kind of company that pursues markets, it defines and creates markets.
After 2 years of posting "news" about it you should learn that it's not going to happen.
Get over it!

Don't look at it as Apple "pursuing" a market. Just simply look at it as being consistent with what they did to the iPod line (iPod nano) and the Mac line (MacBook Air). I believe the iPod nano and MacBook Air are the most successful products in each of their lines. Why wouldn't they do the same for the iPad?

nick_elt
Jul 7, 2012, 08:10 AM

Why?

cvam1985
Jul 7, 2012, 08:11 AM
Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.

leukotriene
Jul 7, 2012, 08:13 AM

Hahaha I think the thing we're all debating is if Apple would make one, not if they could. We're all in agreement that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time, except for you.

Virinprew
Jul 7, 2012, 08:14 AM
I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).

leukotriene
Jul 7, 2012, 08:14 AM
Something to ponder ...

Why are we thinking of this as "the iPad Mini" like a totally different consumer product? I think we need to prepare for the mindset of purchasing iPads like we do Macs now.

Want to buy an iPad? Ok - what screen size? Retina or not? Wifi or 3G? Storage space? Any other BTO option?

At the end of the day it's still just an iPad. We don't call the 11" MBA the MBA Mini.

I think with Apple changing the naming scheme of the new iPad - this may be what begins happening.

Exactly. And just like how (correct me if I'm wrong) adding the 11 inch sku to the MacBook Air resulted in dramatically better sales for the line, Apple's making a bet that the same will happen for th iPad line.

iPad Air anyone?

bharatgupta
Jul 7, 2012, 08:21 AM
When the iPad was released, it was basically a (great) web browser. Between Facebook and eBay, lots of popular websites have a native app now. Apps are usually much cleaner and would absolutely work on <8". Are there world-wide usage statistics for tablets? I wonder if browsing still ranks high. I only see Facebook, casual games and movies on the subway.

And this is even more anecdotal, but I wonder if there is a local bias towards bigger tablets in the American and European markets. I'm in Asia and many people have pointed out that the iPad is too big and heavy. I've never heard anyone in Europe say that.

i m in asia too, held one yes its heavy but not a small sized device, the components need to get lighter not the screen that needs to be smaller, ipad size is perfect for content consumption device.

LeonPro
Jul 7, 2012, 08:26 AM
To each his own. I purchased the new iPad for my kid and did not like it's size and weight. So we're waiting for a smaller iPad. I also will benefit from a smaller iPad because I have apps for my home theater that will control the devices. It's way better than a universal remote and I'm willing to pay the price to use it as such.

vikpt
Jul 7, 2012, 08:38 AM
Launch this October? I was really hoping for a 13 in retina Macbook Pro launch this October instead (like what was rumored weeks ago)

Eadfrith
Jul 7, 2012, 08:41 AM
Why?

Even the relatively cheap Nexus 7 has a 1200x800 display.

Sedrick
Jul 7, 2012, 08:45 AM
If this is true, it means we will never get an iPhone larger than what we get this fall.

KdParker
Jul 7, 2012, 08:49 AM
Anybody heard about a price point on the mini iPad.

Eadfrith
Jul 7, 2012, 08:55 AM
Anybody heard about a price point on the mini iPad.

I keep seeing $250-300 mentioned. All speculation though.

MacFather
Jul 7, 2012, 08:57 AM
Apple doesnít compete with cheap smartphones, Apple doesnít compete with cheap laptops, Apple won't compete with cheap tablets.

I WAS the one
Jul 7, 2012, 09:07 AM
Without Steve Jobs, Apple is falling into the rabbit hole.... This company it's supposed to LEAD not to FOLLOW. Let the small tablets fight with each other and keep improving the iPad in it's form factor. Now we are going to have an inconsistent app ecosystem as Android with apps that will look good on that space and others that wont fit. Why Apple?? Why?

myrtlebee
Jul 7, 2012, 09:08 AM
I'm happy with my $319 iPad 2. Would not want to go any smaller for close to that price, although I am sure many would want it. If this is true, I don't see the iPod touch being around much longer...

Jul 7, 2012, 09:16 AM

As I said before, a smaller iPad is as relevant as a 27" inch iPhone. If this really happens, it will be a CLEAR sign that Apple has lost its way under Cook's non-visionary leadership, who seems to cave to each and every stupid "advice" by vocal analysts and customers.

I assure you: a smaller iPad would be the first of many post-SJ blunders, just like Sculley did with the fragmentation of the Mac line back in the 90s (PowerMac, Performa, LC, Quadra and Centris)...Cook is an executor, NOT an innovator.

tex210
Jul 7, 2012, 09:17 AM
No reason why they can't do this. They've got a lot more surface area to spread the components around.

...and that's the key to improving the ipod touch. Add gps and maybe prepaid data and voila, there's now a need for a larger battery. Might as well bump the screen while you're at it.

D.T.
Jul 7, 2012, 09:27 AM
The major factor in this is +price+.

I donít believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7Ē still wonít fit in a pocket, itís only slightly more portable), itís that you can buy (especially with the Nexus 7) a very nice tablet product for $200-250.

...and I donít see an Apple 7-8Ē tablet, if it follows the current design model, being _that_ much cheaper. An iPad 2 is now $399 retail, 16GB, WiFi only, and Iíd figure the internals on a iPad Mini would be the same, and the reduction in size could even wind up costing more.

Apple loves to tout battery life across a family of products, so a 7.xxĒ tablet with 10 hours of battery life (assuming an A5, 1024x768 display) might have to use a more costly display or battery tech[?] On the other hand, they might decide to cut costs on the materials: maybe go to cheaper plastic chassis? (that would have a positive side effect of being lighter, which is a attribute the small tablet manufacturers carp about).

I think the ďmagicĒ price point is $299 (or less). So maybe an 8GB model for $299 (and the upgrade to 16GB for $50, to $349), plus if cell/3G is an option, +$ along the lines of the full sized iPad models.

AppleScruff1
Jul 7, 2012, 09:28 AM
When it is actually announced, all those here who said it is a dumb idea and won't ever happen will suddenly be singing its praises.

sonicboom
Jul 7, 2012, 09:33 AM
ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense

Not if you live in a 3rd world country, which is what Brazil is, and where the rumor says it will be manufactured.

The price has to come way down for the iPad to go mainstream there. An iPad mini may be the way to accomplish that.

Abazigal
Jul 7, 2012, 09:38 AM
Just for kicks, I was rereading all the 2010 articles covering the ipad and all the naysayers who claim that it would never work. Just a giant ipod that can't make call. I already have a laptop. No multitasking/flash = fail. Boy were they off the mark.

This thread is like deja vu all over again. But then again, even a broken down clock is correct twice a day. ;)

Richdmoore
Jul 7, 2012, 09:41 AM
[QUOTE=D.T.;15201474]The major factor in this is +price+.

I donít believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7Ē still wonít fit in a pocket, itís only slightly more portable)

7" won't fit in a pocket, but it will fit in a lady's purse. I have heard that complaint that the ipad is too big from multiple women that I know.

d0vr
Jul 7, 2012, 09:42 AM
I'm really not understanding all the iPad mini haters? If you don't like it, don't use it. Pretty simple.

Personally, I'm after a smaller iPad and a larger 'Prosumer' iPad that has more of an OSX feel to it. I find the current iPad both too small and too big.

shartypants
Jul 7, 2012, 09:43 AM
I think Steve Jobs was right that a tablet needs to be around 10" to be effective, but there are times when a smaller will do fine. In retrospect, maybe they should have called the current iPad line, "iPad Pro" and the smaller one just iPad :)

Macclone
Jul 7, 2012, 09:49 AM
I may buy this but first gen device tends to dissappoint people. Look at iPad 1 for instance (no iOS6).

Weak argument. Apple supports devices much longer than the competition. How many Android devices don't support ICS and have only ben on the market less than a year. Is it a first ten device if it just a smaller form factor? It will release with iOS6.

iPhisch
Jul 7, 2012, 09:50 AM
I sooooo can't wait for the iPad Nano! Oh wait, that's an iPod Touch? never mind.

brewno
Jul 7, 2012, 09:50 AM
I love my Kobo Reader, but I would change it to this mini-iPad in a heartbeat. It's all I wanted for reating at the metro.

Macclone
Jul 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=D.T.;15201474]The major factor in this is +price+.

I donít believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7Ē still wonít fit in a pocket, itís only slightly more portable)

7" won't fit in a pocket, but it will fit in a lady's purse. I have heard that complaint that the ipad is too big from multiple women that I know.

I have "known" several women and have yet to ask their preferred pad size.

Rocketman
Jul 7, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hmmm. iPad7 why? Here's why.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15198747&postcount=26

Rocketman

sonicboom
I think people lose sight of the fact that Apple makes 33% from all content sold from their App/iTunes stores.

They are on a quest to make the iPad the defacto tablet standard for the entire planet, getting it in the hands of all the people of the world. Driving the price point down further is essential to making that happen, since not all economies are equal.

Not only is this consistent with Steve Jobs' vision of making information accessible to everyone, but that 33% cut of all content is a huge long-term profit center for Apple Inc.

The mini will happen!

HalfBlazed
I really don't see this happening. I find it hard to believe that the 7in tablet market is that much of a threat to Apple that they feel the need to add yet another device between the iPod Touch and the iPad.

The Kindle Fire was only selling for a short period of time and that was only because they released it around Christmas. Even I got one for Christmas; it was on eBay shortly there after.

I would be very surprised if Apple decided to do this, mainly because it would cut into sales of there flagship tablet that has made them a household name.

Jul 7, 2012, 09:54 AM
Not if you live in a 3rd world country, which is what Brazil is, and where the rumor says it will be manufactured.

The price has to come way down for the iPad to go mainstream there. An iPad mini may be the way to accomplish that.

Please stop babbling nonsense. Brazil is as "third world" as most European countries nowadays, with a ridiculously large middle-class and richer-class consumer market, and an extremely high labor and welfare cost, which makes it impossible to be a sweatshop as happens in China or India.

The country is already the fourth largest market in the world for cars, the sixth for cell phones and the seventh in Internet usage, not to mention that it's the place with the highest C-level salaries in the world.

The only reason Apple devices do not sell MORE over there is because of taxes, which normally more than double the price of such devices (as well as the prices of telecom services, which suffer from at least 40% taxation). If prices in Brazil were the same as in the US, Brazilians would probably have more disposable income to buy more iPads than virtually any other country nowadays.

And just to remind people again: only a handful of people live in the remote Amazon, OK? The US equivalent of that would be Alaska.

D.T.
Jul 7, 2012, 09:59 AM
The major factor in this is +price+.

I don’t believe the form factor is all that important to people buying a KF or N7 (7” still won’t fit in a pocket, it’s only slightly more portable)

All the women I know either carry a small purse/wristlet that won’t hold anything larger than a cellphone ("going out” in the evening, movies, theater ... ), or a decent sized bag which easily holds an iPad (when out with kids/family, professional use, travel, etc.)

I think this whole women’s purse size logistics is a non-issue. If you’re planning on taking a tablet with you, it’s a simple planning move to take the right bag. My wife is about as fashionable as a woman as you’ll ever meet and it’s never been an issue with her. :)

She says my iPad is large, but if she works at it, it’s eventually fits...

I have "known" several women and have yet to ask their preferred pad size.

sonicboom
Jul 7, 2012, 10:05 AM
Please stop babbling nonsense. Brazil is as "third world" as most European countries nowadays, with a ridiculously large middle-class and richer-class consumer market, and an extremely high labor and welfare cost, which makes it impossible to be a sweatshop as happens in China or India.

The country is already the fourth largest market in the world for cars, the sixth for cell phones and the seventh in Internet usage, not to mention that it's the place with the highest C-level salaries in the world.

The only reason Apple devices do not sell MORE over there is because of taxes, which normally more than double the price of such devices (as well as the prices of telecom services, which suffer from at least 40% taxation). If prices in Brazil were the same as in the US, Brazilians would probably have more disposable income to buy more iPads than virtually any other country nowadays.

And just to remind people again: only a handful of people live in the remote Amazon, OK? The US equivalent of that would be Alaska.

I'm in Belo Horizonte Brazil right now, so easy with your assumptions there buddy.

While the economy is growing, it's not how you describe it. Cars sold have increased due to government incentives, not because of increased wages.

You're right about the import taxes. The cost of electronics here is 3x that of The States due to that. I had thought that Foxconn building out iphone manufacturing in Brazil would normalize the prices, but it did not.

People do like the Apple products here, and they are more accessible then ever before. Those with the money do stretch to buy them. However, the price has to drop for them to be house hold items, and that is Apples goal.

haravikk
Jul 7, 2012, 10:06 AM
I have to say I really don't see why they'd want to make a smaller device; at 7.85" it's still going to be too big to really use as a phone, so it's not like it'd be a hybrid device, but at that size it's going to be a lot less usable than the current iPad.

I think that Apple's time is better spent on making the iPad thinner and lighter, as 7.85" isn't really anymore portable as you'd still need to put in a bag anyway, unless they're aiming for the cargo-trouser wearing market?

Spectrum Abuser
Jul 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
"Let's keep re-using the same exact photo every-time Joe-Smoe guarantees a smaller iPad is on the way!"

poloponies
Jul 7, 2012, 10:12 AM
I think people lose sight of the fact that Apple makes 33% from all content sold from their App/iTunes stores.

They are on a quest to make the iPad the defacto tablet standard for the entire planet, getting it in the hands of all the people of the world. Driving the price point down further is essential to making that happen, since not all economies are equal.

Not only is this consistent with Steve Jobs' vision of making information accessible to everyone, but that 33% cut of all content is a huge long-term profit center for Apple Inc.

The mini will happen!

Apple takes approximately 30% of revenue from iTunes. Their costs related to iTunes equal about .... 30% of revenue. It's a profitless game for them.

http://www.appolicious.com/finance/articles/11792-apples-itunes-app-store-surpasses-600k-apps-1-9-billion-in-revenue-for-q2

"Apple also revealed that iTunes itself dragged in some $1.9 billion in revenue in just the second quarter of 2012. The store sells apps for iOS, as well as music, movies, podcasts and e-books, all of which contributed to the giant take. Apple receives a 30 percent cut of revenue generated by content sold through iTunes, which means that app developers and content makers shared some $1.33 billion in revenue from the digital portal. The leftover $570 million, Apple said, went to iTunes operational costs."

Rodster
Jul 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
Without Steve Jobs, Apple is falling into the rabbit hole.... This company it's supposed to LEAD not to FOLLOW. Let the small tablets fight with each other and keep improving the iPad in it's form factor. Now we are going to have an inconsistent app ecosystem as Android with apps that will look good on that space and others that wont fit. Why Apple?? Why?

+1

I was concerned this would happen.

efrank772
Jul 7, 2012, 10:18 AM
Oh yeah, and these rumors have only been going on since the original iPad came out. People already think the 10 inch iPad is "just an oversized iPod Touch" can't wait to hear what they say about this- "the oversized, mini iPod Touch".

poloponies
Jul 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
+1

I was concerned this would happen.

You're concerned about a rumor? Nothing has "happened."

sonicboom
Jul 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
Apple takes approximately 30% of revenue from iTunes. Their costs related to iTunes equal about .... 30% of revenue. It's a profitless game for them.

http://www.appolicious.com/finance/articles/11792-apples-itunes-app-store-surpasses-600k-apps-1-9-billion-in-revenue-for-q2

"Apple also revealed that iTunes itself dragged in some $1.9 billion in revenue in just the second quarter of 2012. The store sells apps for iOS, as well as music, movies, podcasts and e-books, all of which contributed to the giant take. Apple receives a 30 percent cut of revenue generated by content sold through iTunes, which means that app developers and content makers shared some $1.33 billion in revenue from the digital portal. The leftover $570 million, Apple said, went to iTunes operational costs."

That's fair, but I do wonder how this scales as they increase their user base. At what point does this turn into a cash cow?

jlnr
Jul 7, 2012, 10:26 AM
Apple doesnít compete with cheap smartphones, Apple doesnít compete with cheap laptops, Apple won't compete with cheap tablets.

If you want to draw a parallel to the laptop world, the 7.85" iPad is only more likely. Apple first ridiculed netbooks and then released a first-class 11" laptop.

WindWaker
Jul 7, 2012, 10:27 AM
OH MY GOSH APPLE FRAGMENTATION *looks up at sky*

Oh, the world's not ending.

notabadname
Jul 7, 2012, 10:45 AM
This story: Best recycling ever.

iLilana
Jul 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
its not real. Stop pretending it is. ARN must be all "hey no rumors today... lets toss up an 7 inch iPad one as filler"

MeinKraft
Jul 7, 2012, 10:52 AM
Get over it!

You are an over zealous drama queen. Stop over reacting to stuff like this. So what if they make the iPad smaller? What if they don't? Does it really matter in the long run?

mantan
Jul 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
I think it has two big selling points, portability and price.

As great as the iPad is, it's not convenient to lug around. (My wife would love to be able to toss it in her purse.)

And price is big as well. At $500-$629 for an entry level device, I would bet most families only have 1 iPad the family fights over. Or at best a hand me down when a 2 or 3 was purchased.

But at $250-$299, people would be MUCH more inclined to buy a second (or third device).

iLikeTurtles!
Jul 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
is it going to have retina?

knucklehead
Jul 7, 2012, 11:02 AM
As I said before, a smaller iPad is as relevant as a 27" inch iPhone.

OK - I had been thinking everything about this topic has already been said a few times over ... but would you please elaborate on how this analogy is relevant?

Just dying to hear this one:p

Indy21
Jul 7, 2012, 11:03 AM
maybe they should have called the current iPad line, "iPad Pro" and the smaller one just iPad :)

Or maybe the iPod Touch is going away and the new iPad will be called "iPad Touch", lol

Hey, ya never know!

FrankHahn
Jul 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
I will stick to 9.7" iPad whether or not the iPad mini will come out.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
I love how i'm supposed to take the word of some faceless MR poster over Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal. Sure you keep telling me it's not coming.

mmmmmmmm' ok

:rolleyes:

winston1236
Jul 7, 2012, 11:07 AM
thats an odd concept given that the ipad itself is anything but large

Arran
Jul 7, 2012, 11:20 AM
I can see this coexisting with the rest of the lineup (just like vehicles come in different sizes):

iPod touch = Smart car
iPad 7" = Midsize Car/Hatchback
iPad 9" (non retina) = Base SUV
iPad 9" retina = Luxury SUV

There might even be room for a Minivan and a Truck? :)

scotty84
Jul 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
The current iPod Touch is a great device to play games, read e-books and surf the web. Imagine those three things with a 7 inch display instead of 3.5. This would totally make sense for me.

the8thark
Jul 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
People still believe mini iPads will come this year?
Hahahaha!

Just have to laugh at how silly some people can be.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 11:28 AM
Just have to laugh at how silly some people can be.

The irony of this post ... :p

iPhisch
Jul 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
what if they call it the iNote?

the8thark
Jul 7, 2012, 11:38 AM
The irony of this post ... :p

People also believed there would be a 2nd iPad (released in the same year) when Steve Jobs said year of iPad 2. So yeah people will believe anything.

iT3
Jul 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
It's Just a Remote for the upcoming Apple TV:apple:

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 11:45 AM
People also believed there would be a 2nd iPad (released in the same year) when Steve Jobs said year of iPad 2. So yeah people will believe anything.

Yeah those rumors were pretty silly.

faroZ06
Jul 7, 2012, 11:46 AM
I don't really see the point of this. The iPad was a great note-taking, work, and media computer, but the iPad Mini's screen is too small to have a nice, almost-full-sized keyboard. I wouldn't want to do work or watch a movie on a 7.85" screen.

needfx
Jul 7, 2012, 11:47 AM
Weak argument. Apple supports devices much longer than the competition. How many Android devices don't support ICS and have only ben on the market less than a year. Is it a first ten device if it just a smaller form factor? It will release with iOS6.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/699/ohcat.jpg

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 7, 2012, 11:48 AM
This makes no sense for Apple, unless it feels the need to counter Google's Nexus Tablet. Given the dismal track record of all Android tablets to date, I doubt very much that Apple is concerned. Apple's main competition, I believe, will come from Windows 8. In this regard, is it possible that Apple wants to push iOS down into smaller devices (smaller iPad, iPhone) and will start to incorporate more OS X functionality in the 10" model? This would differentiate its product line along the lines of Surface - one tablet that runs a scaled-down OS (Windows RT vs iOS) and another that runs the full OS (Windows 8 vs. Mac OS X).

Apple has no competition in the 7" space and the only successful tablet of that size - Kindle Fire - is now seeing dismal sales. While the most successful Android tablet, the Kindle Fire is a market failure given its low sales volumes. So why on earth would Apple feel the need to compete with a market that essentially it already owns?

daneoni
Jul 7, 2012, 11:54 AM
Shame it'll be 1024x768 resolution which is weak to say the least.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 11:55 AM
I don't really see the point of this. The iPad was a great note-taking, work, and media computer, but the iPad Mini's screen is too small to have a nice, almost-full-sized keyboard. I wouldn't want to do work or watch a movie on a 7.85" screen.

People type on their 3.5" iPhone screens. We're talking about over double the size here diagonally plus there would be dictation features as well.

You guys would see the point more if you took a more holistic view. iPads can be used in restaurants and other commercial venues (Real Estate, Insurance -doc signing). They are used in education.

It's not just about playing movies and surfing the web. I know a guy work on a freight line. He walks down the line of containers and checks things in on his iPad. He doesn't need 9.7" but that's his only option.

This makes no sense for Apple, unless it feels the need to counter Google's Nexus Tablet. Given the dismal track record of all Android tablets to date, I doubt very much that Apple is concerned. Apple's main competition, I believe, will come from Windows 8. In this regard, is it possible that Apple wants to push iOS down into smaller devices (smaller iPad, iPhone) and will start to incorporate more OS X functionality in the 10" model? This would differentiate its product line along the lines of Surface - one tablet that runs a scaled-down OS (Windows RT vs iOS) and another that runs the full OS (Windows 8 vs. Mac OS X).

Apple has no competition in the 7" space and the only successful tablet of that size - Kindle Fire - is now seeing dismal sales. While the most successful Android tablet, the Kindle Fire is a market failure given its low sales volumes. So why on earth would Apple feel the need to compete with a market that essentially it already owns?

The rumors of 7.85 iPads predates Google getting into the tablet space by months so this is in no way a reaction to Google or Amazon's product.

Amazon doesn't release sales figures so be careful about your use of "dismal sales" you won't be able to prove Amazon sales numbers in any way because they do not release them.

mabhatter
Jul 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
At what point does an iPad become Mini and an iPod Touch become Large? :o

(More specifically, when does a pod become a pad??)

I think the ipod Touch is the device that is "out of touch" right now. It's ok for games and stuff, but like the iPhone is tedious for browsing. Who is buying a 64gb iPod touch at the same price as an iPad 2? The 8g version is too small to be a useful media player and have games. The 32gb version is just too high priced to take seriously when a Nook or Kindle is $250.

Add to that, Apple hasn't updated iPod touch in 2 years. Only one version gets iOS 6. Even Apple isn't taking it seriously. A 6"-7" device would be in order and just drop the current Touch. I can't see Apple creating another new resolution.. So would they do 960x640 or 1024x768.. Or maybe that extra-tall resolution in the iPhone x rumors. Or maybe they have ios to the point they can just point to "big or small" and have the UI fill in. Like how some devs used iPhone 4 art on iPad 2. The rumored 1132x640 is a close ratio to 1200x800 standard 7" screen. So it's not too far fetched.

WLS
Jul 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
This rumor does carry one interesting tidbit.
It states the iPad mini will be as thin as the Touch. So this tablet will be crazy thin and that goes along with Apple's design goals. Thin will mean less weight of course which would be good.
If only it had GPS standard... we shall just have to wait and see but if it makes the Nexus 7 look fat then that's interesting.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 12:14 PM
This rumor does carry one interesting tidbit.
It states the iPad mini will be as thin as the Touch. So this tablet will be crazy thin and that goes along with Apple's design goals. Thin will mean less weight of course which would be good.
If only it had GPS standard... we shall just have to wait and see but if it makes the Nexus 7 look fat then that's interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's likely going to share components with the next iPhone and if IGZO displays are used it should be pretty power efficient so that battery bulk doesn't jack the weight up.

I think the problem is that so many people take such a myopic view about the iPad and don't see the big picture.

The iPad is a game changer but a smaller iPad can leverage even more areas of opportunity. In Auto display, videographers could mount a smaller iPad to their cams, photographers could make better use of a smaller iPad.

Apple said they see the iOS and OS X products as peers. They are now just another device on a network. So different form factors will find traction where smaller size is more of a key factor.

teng029
Jul 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
And rumor has it it'll shoot fireballs from its eyes and bolts of lighting from its arse..

Helmsy67
Jul 7, 2012, 12:24 PM

with that logic its also unnecessary to INCREASE the size of a product to compete with another company. ;)

mabhatter
Jul 7, 2012, 12:27 PM

I agree, part of Apple wanting manufacturing in Brazil is that they are highly protectionist, and love import taxes. They are worse than China. I work in the US for a company based in Brazil... Their IT is disastrous. Close to 50% import tax plus sales taxes, make the price of something like iPad straight double the price in the US. Just about anything "IT" is almost double the cost... They're paying a $1000 for a $450 Walmart laptop.

Of course Brazil is unique because they are much like the US in the 1970's. There are not crazy unions, but the big companies work hard to "get along" so there wont be. Their Government is much more liberal with the holidays and leave rules.. Not quite what Europe is, but civilized compared to the USA labor rights.

That makes what apple wants extra hard. On paper it's still about the same cost as China, but unlike China, workers aren't exactly lining up for "table scraps". They won't be bullied into 12-hour days like in other places. They get out and protest when companies try to manipulate labor laws.

That said, if Apple gets a toe in Brazil, they have all of South America opened up. It's definately something they are way ahead on.

faroZ06
Jul 7, 2012, 12:31 PM
People type on their 3.5" iPhone screens. We're talking about over double the size here diagonally plus there would be dictation features as well.

You guys would see the point more if you took a more holistic view. iPads can be used in restaurants and other commercial venues (Real Estate, Insurance -doc signing). They are used in education.

It's not just about playing movies and surfing the web. I know a guy work on a freight line. He walks down the line of containers and checks things in on his iPad. He doesn't need 9.7" but that's his only option.

Isn't it a lot easier to type on a screen that has almost a full-sized keyboard? And the 7.85" iPad is not really any more portable.

----------

It's not just the iOS support. First-gen models tend to have all of the bugs and missing features, and a smaller iPad is really first-gen, just like a huge iPod touch was. I never buy first-gen anything or release-week anything after what happened to my iMac.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 12:35 PM
Isn't it a lot easier to type on a screen that has almost a full-sized keyboard? And the 7.85" iPad is not really any more portable.

I have a BT keyboard if I need to do an serious amount of typing. I plan to test out the dictation features and see how robust they are with my next iPad purchase.

The weight savings could be significant. I love my iPad 2 for surfing the web and other things but I do notice its weight when i'm using it as a book reader or playing games and controlling the game with the iPad.

.75 lbs would be ideal but anything under 1lb would make a nice improvement.

Another trend that is going to become popular soon is Second Screen viewing. This is where you could be watching a broadcast and viewing live data tailored for your iPad in sync with the broadcast.

This is sort of what happens now when people get on Twitter and start commenting live as a broadcast happens. Second Screen viewing is actually a part of the next ATSC broadcast specification so it should get some traction.

Windlasher
Jul 7, 2012, 12:37 PM
ipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense, as it would either kill purpose of ipod touch or might prove as a strong competitor to all the other crap like kindle fire n what not in the market, its very interesting to see how this all develops, nope i dont think apple will announce this.

makes no sense!

----------

if anyone has used ipad the screen is just right nothing larger nor smaller would do a good justice, it just shrinks down everything.

Lets see you put an 7.85" screen in your pocket! Plenty of market for both.

Virinprew
Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 PM

Let's see here. iPod 1 work only on Mac. iPhone 1 has no 3G, no GPS, poor speaker, poor battery, slippery case, stupid headphone jack and expensive. iPod touch 1 has no volume rocker, no speaker, no bluetooth and no free software update. New MacBook Air (2010) has two-year-old core 2 duo, no backlit keyboard and no TB port. New Mac mini (2010) has higher starting price even without DVD drive and then the price goes down in 2011 model. iPad 1 has no front camera, half RAM of iPhone 4 and no iOS 6 (while 3GS get iOS 6). New Retina MacBook Pro has lower smoothness than older pro (fps) and super expensive.
So first gen is like an experiment. Second gen is like the real product.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 12:49 PM
Lets see you put an 7.85" screen in your pocket! Plenty of market for both.

Glaringly obvious for the rest of us that aren't trying to erect barriers to prevent logical thought.

3.5" = very pocket friendly

7.85 and 9.7 = More handheld and desktop use.

You're not going to see Arm Band fitness accessories for the iPad. There's still a need for iPod Touch though the sizes need to be modified perhaps (16GB minimum)

Defender2010
Jul 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
If it is released, it will have a retina display, nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.

WestonHarvey1
Jul 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
wrong thread

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 12:55 PM
If it is released, it will have a retina display, nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.

They still sell the non Retina iPad 2. It doesn't look lame it just doesn't look as good. The choice is with the consumer.

Yamcha
Jul 7, 2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah I don't think this is happening, Apple already has an iPad 2 and the New iPad, I think adding a 7" tablet will only make things more confusing.. Apple usually doesn't do that..

Defender2010
Jul 7, 2012, 01:00 PM
They still sell the non Retina iPad 2. It doesn't look lame it just doesn't look as good. The choice is with the consumer.

Yes, but iPad 2 is not the latest generation. Technically its an old product that they just continue to sell to use up the parts etc. this alleged iPad mini would be a "new" product.

powers74
Jul 7, 2012, 01:01 PM
I don't need an iPad, I have a MacPro and an iPhone. I love them. My wife has an iPad(2). She loves it. This morning she said "I can't wait to get an iPhone so I can have something I can fit in my purse". I said, "well this fall they might be coming out with a smaller iPad, you could fit that in your purse". She was like "no no no, I don't want that, I want a nice, tiny, little iPhone!".

Anecdotal, sure, but I don't really see this smaller iPad fitting into our family, and I have a 3.5yo. I'd just as soon get another regular iPad for the money, and with the previous gens going down in price every year, I see this turning out like all the "iPhone mini" rumors of years past which turned out to be Apple continuing to sell the previous gen. models at lower prices. Why would they divert from that strategy to tool up a whole new product when they could simply reap 90% profit on tooling & manufacturing that has already paid for itself, undercutting the competition selling smaller tablets for the same price? I just don't see it.

Just like the NFC thing from earlier, I think Apple is very clever at saying "no", and I think this smaller form factor is another one of those times.

heffeque
Jul 7, 2012, 01:03 PM
This brings back production to America. Good job, Apple! :D

Next step... maybe bring some up to the US? :)

daneoni
Jul 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
I actually think i'd prefer it if they upped the iPod Touch screen to 5"-5.5" then it would stop being a useless product and instead bridge the gap between the iPhone and the iPad.

JGowan
Jul 7, 2012, 01:06 PM
I wish that the final design for a 7" iPad would be the same dimensions as Kindle, Nook & Nexus 7... tall but not as wide... not just a shrunken iPad which would still be hard (or impossible) to fit into a suit jacket. The iPad is awesome and I've loved 1, 2 and 3, but I leave it home all the time because it's not as portable as it could be if you could somehow fit it into a pocket. I probably will buy one regardless because I can see advantages -- however at $199, I'll probably be getting the Nexus 7 too (if Apple's smaller table turns out to be the same proportionally as the current iPad.)

I actually think i'd prefer it if they upped the iPod Touch screen to 5"-5.5" then it would stop being a useless product and instead bridge the gap between the iPhone and the iPad.Terrible idea. At that size, it ceases to be an iPod Touch. It becomes a different product altogether. If that's the case, you name it something different. Computers screens are different animal so I don't mind thinking it odd that there's an 11" MBA and a 13" MBA because we've always had different laptop screen sizes. I think Apple simply needs to decide on a different tablet size that's smaller and call it an iPad Mini. What they shouldn't do, IMHO, is create a smaller tablet and just keep it as an "iPad" by name. They must market it as something else.

Back to the iPod Touch. It's been around since 2007 and is entrenched by over 60,000,000 at it's current size. I wouldn't mind it getting slightly taller (as the rumors suggest the iPhone will) in order to bring it to 4". But 5-5Ĺ is just too big.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah I don't think this is happening, Apple already has an iPad 2 and the New iPad, I think adding a 7" tablet will only make things more confusing.. Apple usually doesn't do that..

iPad
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
Macbook Pro with Retina
iPhone
iPod Touch

If consumers weren't confused they wouldn't be flocking into Apple Stores to speak to the sales reps they'd just buy it online.

Yes, but iPad 2 is not the latest generation. Technically its an old product that they just continue to sell to use up the parts etc. this alleged iPad mini would be a "new" product.

irrelevant. Apple still sells the iPhone 3Gs and iPad 2 both are not Retina screens. It doesn't really matter if they are new or not. They are both lower priced value products which is what I see the iPad mini being. New Macbook Air and Pro hit without Retina. The argument that Apple will not deliver new product without Retina screens is mythology. They already have.

powers74
Jul 7, 2012, 01:17 PM
... it's not as portable as it could be if you could somehow fit it into a pocket.

... Sort of like an iPhone...

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.

JGowan
Jul 7, 2012, 01:25 PM

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.Since you asked: several things would be better than the phone: Email, Photos, Web, Games but especially Reading.

Also, with the right 3rd party hardware attachment kit, a 7" at 1,280-by-800 pixel resolution would be much better for GPS and turn-by-turn Maps than an iPhone which is still too small for the car in that capacity.

Ultimately, I love the iPad "3"... when I'm home, but if I'm just running out and have a sports coat (which I frequently do), the iPad is just not an option. But a smaller tablet at the Nexus proportion would fit. Therefore I could take it with me.

poloponies
Jul 7, 2012, 01:27 PM

iPads are already in use in all sorts of commercial ventures. I went skydiving last year and the forms and disclosures were all on an iPad. And a neighborhood restaurant (large, but not part of a chain) has all their waiters take orders on iPads which transmit directly to the kitchen. It's silly to think that everyone has been standing still waiting for a smaller iPad. The current size is not an obstacle to commerce.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
iPads are already in use in all sorts of commercial ventures. I went skydiving last year and the forms and disclosures were all on an iPad. And a neighborhood restaurant (large, but not part of a chain) has all their waiters take orders on iPads which transmit directly to the kitchen. It's silly to think that everyone has been standing still waiting for a smaller iPad. The current size is not an obstacle to commerce.

Point out where I said that the size was an obstacle? I never mentioned any impediments to using an iPad for business I merely stated that a smaller iPad likely still works well in a variety of vertical markets.

ixodes
Jul 7, 2012, 01:40 PM
1) If it is released, it will have a retina display,

2) nothing less or it would look really lame compared to the retina displays of the other devices.

1a) No it will _not_ have retina. That's too expensive for this model.

Besides while there is a difference, it's not as dramatic as many people make it out to be. I know, I have every retina equipped product that Apple currently sells.

2) Why compare? There's a use for everything, and contrary to what the newbie owners of retina devices, or MBPr say, it's not the best thing ever. Very nice? Yes. Earth shattering? No.

My retina equipped iPad 3 is quite nice, yet I'm very eager to buy a 7" iPad.

The extra portability, lighter weight for extended use, and more compact size for the times I'm on a plane will be ideal. When you're on a long flight, like crossing the ocean on the way to Barcelona, the smaller iPad will be greatly appreciated.

tigert07
Jul 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
We would have already seen leaked parts if this had been true.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
We would have already seen leaked parts if this had been true.

Did you see leaked parts of the Retina Macbook Pro? Nope.

zeromeus
Jul 7, 2012, 01:51 PM

Agreed! Plus, why'd Apple only opt for 3G when they already included 4G on it's older sibling?

Defender2010
Jul 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
1a) No it will _not_ have retina. That's too expensive for this model.

Besides while there is a difference, it's not as dramatic as many people make it out to be. I know, I have every retina equipped product that Apple currently sells.

2) Why compare? There's a use for everything, and contrary to what the newbie owners of retina devices, or MBPr say, it's not the best thing ever. Very nice? Yes. Earth shattering? No.

My retina equipped iPad 3 is quite nice, yet I'm very eager to buy a 7" iPad.

The extra portability, lighter weight for extended use, and more compact size for the times I'm on a plane will be ideal. When you're on a long flight, like crossing the ocean on the way to Barcelona, the smaller iPad will be greatly appreciated.

What do you really know anyway....more than me? I doubt it. I say a retina display is a given. Prove me wrong when it is not released.

mantan
Jul 7, 2012, 02:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, so you've got an iPhone, and now one of these smaller Pads on you at all times... What tasks are you going to use your iPhone for and what sort of things are you going to use your new iPad mini for? Just seems horribly clunky to me, and I think this is the way apple looks at it as well.

The biggest difference is content consumption. Watching a movie, reading a book, surfing the net on an iPad mini would be much better than doing it on an iPhone.

The bigger issue is it gives people a choice. A lot of people on this board have the myopic view that since THEY don't want one, nobody else will want one either.

If the price is right, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini rather than have everyone fight over the one we have. Of course, as soon as my wife finds out it fits in her purse (her complaint about the iPad), I'm sure she'll grab it as hers and call it day.

Judas1
Jul 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
There's a lot of room between 3.5" and 9.7", so I don't get why its so hard to believe in a 7.85" iPad. And if they could get the weight under 1 pound and have it cost less than $300, people will buy it as their preferred reading device. Its definitely not too small. There's a certain 7" device that did very well for content consumption. Hmmm....and also a 3.5" device that's just right.:rolleyes:

Che Castro
Jul 7, 2012, 02:16 PM

How thin is the ipod touch ? Compared with the iphone & iPad

Ryth
Jul 7, 2012, 02:16 PM

Yah they are selling the iPad2 and what's left of their stock/components.

They aren't making more iPad2s...big difference there.

The biggest difference is content consumption. Watching a movie, reading a book, surfing the net on an iPad mini would be much better than doing it on an iPhone.

The bigger issue is it gives people a choice. A lot of people on this board have the myopic view that since THEY don't want one, nobody else will want one either.

If the price is right, I'd definitely buy an iPad mini rather than have everyone fight over the one we have. Of course, as soon as my wife finds out it fits in her purse (her complaint about the iPad), I'm sure she'll grab it as hers and call it day.

Yep...people are just stupid (myopic) about it. There is a market for it and your quote about your wife taking it and fitting it in her purse is EXACTLY the market they are trying to target.

People who want something larger then an iPhone but smaller then an iPad that they can just grab and go. They can take it out on the bus, train, etc and it's not too bulky. It can fit in a purse, jacket, cargo pants pocket or anything 'new' that comes out with a pocket for it. They can consume content on it and read/surf/browse, etc with ease and with a very light device that isn't 'bulky' in the sense of an ipad is for everyday commuter use.

It's going to REPLACE the iPod Touch. Don't be surprised if its just called 'iTouch'..(then we can have all the iTouch myself jokes).

HavocLink
Jul 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
Why do people seriously still think that a 7-inch iPad is possible? :confused: Do you not remember what Steve Jobs said in 2010?

Let's go back in time to the day the original iPad was announced. Jobs was explaining to people that in order for the third category of product to exist between smartphone at laptop, it would have to be better at certain things like web browsing, email, watching movies, etc. Then he brought up netbooks and said those sucked because they weren't better at any of those things he listed. The same would go for this "iPad mini" that people seem to want. It's not better at ANYTHING the iPad does. It's just a watered down, cheaper version of the iPad. And we know Apple is not about making watered down, cheaper products.

Ryth
Jul 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
Why do people seriously still think that a 7-inch iPad is possible? :confused: Do you not remember what Steve Jobs said in 2010?

Let's go back in time to the day the original iPad was announced. Jobs was explaining to people that in order for the third category of product to exist between smartphone at laptop, it would have to be better at certain things like web browsing, email, watching movies, etc. Then he brought up netbooks and said those sucked because they weren't better at any of those things he listed. The same would go for this "iPad mini" that people seem to want. It's not better at ANYTHING the iPad does. It's just a watered down, cheaper version of the iPad. And we know Apple is not about making watered down, cheaper products.

You know...they have a 13" 15" and 17" MBPro...

The iTouch (iPad mini) is going to replace the iPod Touch which has really no real category.

Why do you think the iPad Mini is going to be watered down? It will have a retina screen, it will have a nice camera(s), it will have 3G/4G, and it will fit a profile for the size between a iPhone and iPad, which is considered the size that people like to read on, take with them on a daily commute, etc. This also is the market for kids gaming and portables. Something they can slip in a jacket or pants pocket or just carry and play games on.

dampfnudel
Jul 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
Someone should create a list of everyone who says a 7.85" iPad will never happen and when it gets announced list all those names on a new thread. Maybe some of them will even respond on their new, shiny 7.85" iPad.

Renzatic
Jul 7, 2012, 02:47 PM
Someone should create a list of everyone who says a 7.85" iPad will never happen and when it gets announced list all those names on a new thread. Maybe some of them will even respond on their new, shiny 7.85" iPad.

"Apple took the concept of a 7 inch tablet and did it right. I never said I was against the idea of a smaller iPad, rather I wanted one that Just Worked".

gatortpk
Jul 7, 2012, 03:00 PM

Not really, if it's a lower priced unit and it uses the same iPhone 3GS display sheets, then it'll be exactly 7.85 inches at 1024x768 resolution to give it 163 PPI. 163 PPI isn't exactly retina, but it's higher than the 132 PPI of the original iPad and iPad 2, and we thought that was adequate.

I would be pleased to see it at $199 and as thin as the iPod Touch. It would likely come with the smaller (32 nm process) A5 SoC, and the screen would use even less power.

This way, it'll have the same CPU performance as the iPad 2 and third generation iPad (just as high GPU performance overall), and then it will the same ratio of smaller battery to give it the same 10 hour life.

There is a lot of evidence that all the above will be exactly the case. It's the $199 price that could happen, but I think Apple can charge $249, or even $299, and still sell as many, so they'll go for the higher profit margin as usual. Remember, all the above technologies are already out, the 32nm A5 SoC, the 163 PPI display, and the iPad case (just smaller), so it won't cost Apple as much as it costs the other companies to make a similar product. Plus it'll be a rare 4:3 ratio display on a smaller unit. (Makes it usable for landscape and portrait)

----------

I've tried the mockup, (no not an actual 7.85" iPad, but I checked out the icon sizes and it's usability) and it works fine. It's less than 2 inches smaller! It's the same resolution as the original and iPad 2, the technologies are already out (same 163 PPI display as the iPhone 3GS, and the 32nm A5 SoC), so it'll be inexpensive to make, so it can still be profitable even down to $199 (though I suspect Apple will charge a little more because they can).

The biggest benefit, is that it could literally weigh less than half the full size iPad. That is significant at $249 for an iPad that has the same resolution, 10 hour battery life and performance as the iPad 2.

dokujaryu
Jul 7, 2012, 03:01 PM
If it has Verizon LTE I will buy it.

Renzatic
Jul 7, 2012, 03:01 PM
1280x960 would give you 204 PPI, and wouldn't be terribly expensive to produce. If Apple were to release a small iPad, I'd expect them to start at least from there.

newdeal
Jul 7, 2012, 03:10 PM
What i would like is the same physical size ipad with less bezel and a bigger screen. It would be tough to use in some instances without touching the screen but for lap use would be great

gatortpk
Jul 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
1280x960 would give you 204 PPI, and wouldn't be terribly expensive to produce. If Apple were to release a small iPad, I'd expect them to start at least from there.

That is also a sensible resolution, it's 4:3 and above 200 PPI. But it's a completely new display, so it'll cost more ($49 extra could absorb that) and it could be IPS too, instead of the iPhone 3GS display technology. The A5 can support that a little better than the A5X can support the 2048x1536 display also.

So, not only IPS, but it can show the full resolution of 720p video too with 1280x960. Makes sense.

----------

What i would like is the same physical size ipad with less bezel and a bigger screen. It would be tough to use in some instances without touching the screen but for lap use would be great

I thought of that, and you're exactly right, the whole point of the somewhat large bezel is to grip with.

Though I can easily see software support to see the difference between a thumb grip and a finger touching the edge of the screen. That would also be useful to todays iPads! I've sometimes accidentally touched the display with my thumb, and it's annoying. So that software to ignore the thumb grip would be nice for all iPads.

Though, I only see this for the iPad mini, I don't picture the full size iPad getting a larger display and smaller bezel. (It would only lower the Pixels per Inch)

OrangeSVTguy
Jul 7, 2012, 03:18 PM
Of course Apple won't make a smaller iPad. They're secretly making a larger iPod Touch. This whole diversion is working perfectly ;)

jonnyb
Jul 7, 2012, 03:38 PM

Let's also go back in time to when Jobs said no one would ever watch video on an iPod and no one reads book any more, just before Apple released an iPod that played video and opened the iBook store.

apolloa
Jul 7, 2012, 03:38 PM
"Apple took the concept of a 7 inch tablet and did it right. I never said I was against the idea of a smaller iPad, rather I wanted one that Just Worked".

More Like:

Apple saw the money to be made in a 7" tablet, so launched one even though it was priced out the market....

I'll believe a 7" iPad when I see it. And if they do launch one then they will either have to increase the iPad price, or drop the iPod Touch range. Considering the 8GB iPod Touch in the UK is £10 more then the 8GB Nexus 7...

Then again, most of you lot on here are pretty dumb because you have conveniently forgotten the small fact in America the 8GB iPod Touch is $199 plus tax I guess?
So yeah, about your predictions for a $249 iPad mini........... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. The iPad 3 starts from $499, a 7" iPad will be AT LEAST $299 and up but more likely $349 and up.

So as I said, Apple will price themselves out of the market and will have to rely on it's reputation, iOS and the app store for sales.

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 03:44 PM
More Like:

Apple saw the money to be made in a 7" tablet, so launched one even though it was priced out the market....

I'll believe a 7" iPad when I see it. And if they do launch one then they will either have to increase the iPad price, or drop the iPod Touch range. Considering the 8GB iPod Touch in the UK is £10 more then the 8GB Nexus 7...

Then again, most of you lot on here are pretty dumb because you have conveniently forgotten the small fact in America the 8GB iPod Touch is $199 plus tax I guess?
So yeah, about your predictions for a $249 iPad mini........... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. The iPad 3 starts from $499, a 7" iPad will be AT LEAST $299 and up but more likely $349 and up.

Assuming theres a September music even launching updated versions of the iPod and iTunes product lines we'll already know what Apple has there and focus will turn to what their features mean regarding an iPad mini.

jonnyb
Jul 7, 2012, 03:45 PM
Hmmm...

https://twitter.com/jdalrymple/statuses/221685848800894977

nuckinfutz
Jul 7, 2012, 03:49 PM
Hmmm...

https://twitter.com/jdalrymple/statuses/221685848800894977

Oh Jim stop it!

:p

miniroll32
Jul 7, 2012, 03:56 PM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23120424.jpg

P.S - When a fan politely emailed "Steve" to ask whether users would be able to select the functionality of the iPad Mute switch (to be able to choose orientation locking), he stubbornly replied "Nope".

In the next software update, the option was there. In short, this guy had a tendency dismiss good ideas and make then make them his own.

Rocketman
Jul 7, 2012, 04:11 PM
If you parse the exact language Steve used regarding smaller pads, it is not the same tenor as the implications in this thread. Perhaps a thread on the exact language and the 3-4 ways to parse it would be in order.

Rocketman

user418
Jul 7, 2012, 04:12 PM

I think you make a valid point with the education segment and associated pricing. I've seen first graders using iPad's in advertisements as well as real world situations. The majority of comments in this thread have centered around adult usage patterns and preferences.

Looking forward in regards to education and technology it would be wise not to overlook all of the "little people" with little hands and little fingers in lets say grades K-6. World wide that's a huge group of individuals.

knucklehead
Jul 7, 2012, 04:16 PM

Could you provide a link to his comments you're talking about here? I'd like to hear his exact wording.

Also please check out his comments on this page:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1398184&page=10

where he left an awfully large opening for the "Mini"

Edit: From what you are saying, he had zero regard for the iPad as a productivity device at this point. That could be just from you're retelling.
OK - I guess you're just talking about the Keynote. I'm re-watching right now.

b0nd18t
Jul 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'm looking forward to this. At 7.85" or whatever it's really not that much smaller. I have the new iPad and it's uncomfortable to hold especially with one hand. Too heavy/awkward and apple knows it.

jclardy
Jul 7, 2012, 04:27 PM
Shame it'll be 1024x768 resolution which is weak to say the least.

The iPad 2 gets along fine with that res. The advantage here is you have the entire catalogue of iPad apps that are designed for 1024x768. On a device like the Nexus 7, you don't even have apps that take advantage of the latest software features of Android 4.0, much less tailored to the larger screen.

Apple's advantage here is again the screens aspect ratio of 4:3. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 will be great for reading text novels and watching movies, but the iPad's 4:3 screen shines when given PDF, magazine or textbook content, which is all designed for that ratio. Oh yes, also don't forget the web.

On an iPad portrait orientation for the web works great. On a Kindle fire the screen is too thin in portrait, and too short in landscape, making for a terrible web experience (Not even counting the mediocre zooming/scrolling). The Nexus 7 should be better as it is 16:10 I believe. But 4:3 allows for adequate resolution in both portrait and landscape modes.

NeoMayhem
Jul 7, 2012, 04:32 PM
The iPad Mini needs to happen for the education market. At ~$249, schools are finally going to be able to start replacing textbooks with iPads for each student. Anything priced higher then that will not work for most k-12 schools.

I would not buy one without a retina display, but they would still sell millions of them. If Apple does not do an iPad Mini soon, they are just giving this market away for free to Google.

Westside guy
Jul 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
I think that Apple's time is better spent on making the iPad thinner and lighter, as 7.85" isn't really anymore portable

A work friend went to Google IO and came back with a Nexus 7 (not sure how, since I don't think they're released yet). Having seen this device first-hand, I can say with confidence you're flat-out wrong.

A 7" or 8" device is significantly more portable than the iPad. It's not appreciably bigger than my Kindle 3 - it'll fit in a coat pocket. You can easily hold it with one hand when you're on the bus or train. And, frankly, the silliness about it being too small to use effectively with your fingers is simply bunk.

A lot of people like the current sized iPad; but for me, it's larger than optimal (and I've used my wife's iPad a fair bit, so I'm not just guessing). If Apple announces this smaller iPad, I'll be pre-ordering it the first day.

On a side note - if the smaller iPad has 3G and a camera, it doesn't need to be the same price as the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire.

I do wonder if this rumored device, should it be launched, will just replace the iPod Touch.

Jul 7, 2012, 04:35 PM
Y U NO MAKE IPOD TOUCH BIGGER, BETTER WITH REGARDS TO COMPETITION AND NOT SCREW IPAD BY MAKING IT SMALLER:mad:?

Huh ?

celo48
Jul 7, 2012, 04:37 PM
Steve Jobs is turning in his grave!

driceman
Jul 7, 2012, 04:39 PM
y u no make ipod touch bigger, better with regards to competition and not screw ipad by making it smaller:mad:?

y u no talk normal english talk?

StyxMaker
Jul 7, 2012, 04:49 PM
1. Keep repeating same rumour each year.
2. Get page hits.
3. Proclaim yourself winner if it eventually happens!

I remember two to three years of 'Apple will come out with a tablet computer this year' rumors before it actually happened.

thleeal
Jul 7, 2012, 05:15 PM
just a thought but i can see this working...

i would probably keep my iPhone around a lot longer without updating, just create a wifi hotspot and use the iPad mini for all media consumption on the go..

or heck maybe even downgrade to a crummy HTC that can create a wifi hotspot ...

maybe apple would shoot themselves in the foot on this one... but then thats just me...

StyxMaker
Jul 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
Get over it!

I do not understand why so many people invest so much emotion in what Apple will, or won't do. I see this as the next logical step for Apple to take with the iPad.

YGAB
Jul 7, 2012, 06:05 PM
naysayers are so in denial... the "iPad mini" is already in early stages of production around the world despite the late Steve Job's disapproval... you do realize there are millions of people involved in the production process, it's called the supply chain... the words do get out one way of the other...

"the only thing constant in life is change" -Lakers' guard Steve Nash

fertilized-egg
Jul 7, 2012, 06:08 PM

This is not a 7" iPad but really an 8" tablet, which is significantly larger than 7", about 30% in area.

Also Jobs is notorious for going back on his strongly worded opinion and do the exactly opposite. Tim Cook has recently commented on Jobs' ability to change his opinion.

It's not better at ANYTHING the iPad does. It's just a watered down, cheaper version of the iPad. And we know Apple is not about making watered down, cheaper products.

iPod Mini didn't really do anything better than the iPod classic except being smaller, cheaper, and in some ways sleeker than the bigger sibling. iPad Mini will probably be the iPod Mini of iPad. It'll be smaller, and if we believe the rumors it'll be probably thinner and have less bezel. It won't be as comfortable to use as iPad at home, but those who want smaller or a cheaper iPad it'll be a great buy. Plus it'll still be big enough for most iPad apps and there'll be a ton of apps available from the beginning.

Another thing to think about iPad Mini here is that if Apple can make it reasonably small and give it 3G/LTE, it might even affect sales of not only 7" Android tablets but also large Android phones given that it comes with a ton of tablet-optimized apps but that remains to be seen.

naysayers are so in denial... the "iPad mini" is already in early stages of production around the world despite the late Steve Job's disapproval

Even when Jobs was alive, Apple kept working with display suppliers on smaller displays. Thus it was clear that even Jobs was at least contemplating the possibility.

carmenodie
Jul 7, 2012, 06:56 PM
Look, I could care less because my iPhone 4 is like a ******** mini iPad.
What I want is a pen based iPad where there is no noticeable lag. You hear me!!!!

Westside guy
Jul 7, 2012, 06:58 PM
"the only thing constant in life is change" -Lakers' guard Steve Nash

I feel compelled to point out that Heraclitus said this (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Heraclitus) a few years before Steve Nash did. :D

cdmoore74
Jul 7, 2012, 07:27 PM
My personal preference is to have Apple enter the 7 inch market against the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. Apple's relentless attack on Android has gone too far. I would rather have Apple battle Android with new products then to see one more lawsuit. And if you don't like a 7 inch iPad then don't buy one. I hate when people say that something is too big or something is too small. It's not my job or anyone else's to make that determination. The consumer will decide it's fate if or when this tablet comes to market.
I will be getting a Nexus 7 and will look forward to a iPad mini. This battle will be a win win for everyone. Cheaper tablets and greater selection. Just imagine a world without competition. Apple would have released the iPad at higher cost and would have no desire to update them.

phpmaven
Jul 7, 2012, 07:32 PM

I'll bite. Making the next iPhone taller and not wider would be one of the dumbest ideas to ever come out of Apple. I think it would be a huge blunder.

Nomadski
Jul 7, 2012, 07:38 PM
Don't know what's so outrageous about Apple wanting to enter a specific market they have no foothold in.

Some may see it as the same market, but a cheaper, smaller iPad definitely has a different & sizeable market out there.

fertilized-egg
Jul 7, 2012, 08:07 PM
I'll bite. Making the next iPhone taller and not wider would be one of the dumbest ideas to ever come out of Apple. I think it would be a huge blunder.

I don't think it will be any worse than releasing a phone(3GS) with the same design from one year ago. That was supposed to doom Apple...until they set the sales record. Then it happened again two years later (4S) and it was supposed to really destroy Apple...until it set another sales record.

TheFithBeatle
Jul 7, 2012, 08:45 PM
its gonna go on my car, gonna look sweet
:D]\
they saw a market for a smaller a tablet. they always have something thing diffent

Sardonick007
Jul 7, 2012, 08:47 PM
No way I'm putting any money in that dirthole. I'd rather China own us than Brazil. Not that I would buy this watered down kindle killer anyway, but whatever.

jeffe
Jul 7, 2012, 09:01 PM
I don't think it is any coincidence all this information just leaked right when the Nexus 7 went to pre-order....

charlituna
Jul 7, 2012, 09:26 PM

Truth is that they are revamping the iPod touch to a 5.5 inch model. Runs the same iPhone apps, wifi only

----------

Especially one whose ass you are already kicking

----------

Don't we usually see references in iOS to a new device? I don't remember reading anywhere there was.

?

Apple stopped doing that cause the developers couldn't keep their mouths shut

fertilized-egg
Jul 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
as the hideous stretched iPhone 5 prototype

You could very well be right and the iPhone 5 prototype design from last year turned out to be much ado about nothing. However the whole thing about the new iPhone design reminds me of this post by a member Anuba from 2010 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901050&page=11), when the upcoming iPhone 4 design was taking a lot of flak

Man, it's the same every time. Every time.

- Pictures and descriptions of an upcoming Apple product emerge.

- Naysayers topple over eachother to be the first to say...

"FAKE!"
"Totally un-Apple."
"Apple would NEVER design something that ugly."
"Obvious Photoshop job, I can totally see the artifacts and perspective inconsistencies"
"Definitely a mockup, home built by amateurs, I'm 110% sure because I'm an industrial design expert."
"Was Steve on sick leave when they designed this?"

- Keynote day. Everyone watching realtime text updates.
- As details and stills slowly emerge it becomes apparent that the rumors were 99% accurate and the photos were the real deal.

- The naysayers disappear underground, only to re-emerge in time for the next batch of rumors and pictures, and repeat more or less exactly the same things they said the last time. While underground, they're busy playing with the new Apple device they dismissed as fake/ugly/bogus, because they ran out and bought one 10 minutes after the Keynote.

esp211
Jul 7, 2012, 09:43 PM
Think of it as a larger iPod not a smaller iPad. I think it will just replace the current iPod Touch, which has been progressively going down in sales. There is no reason why Apple should continue to produce the iPod Touch in its current form when it is going extinct. A bigger iPod with cell service and voice for Facetime/Skype would be huge especially for women since you can fit it in a purse.

blow45
Jul 7, 2012, 09:58 PM
everyone with any business sense should start investing in the accessory market for this baby:

http://aroundthewoods.com/imgssanding/im001850.jpg

lol! :D;)

Seriously though I am in the market for one, if they can put retina on it. I prefer to have a device this size and a simple keypad phone instead.

Ryth
Jul 7, 2012, 10:00 PM
everyone with any business sense should start investing in the accessory market for this baby:

Image (http://aroundthewoods.com/imgssanding/im001850.jpg)

lol! :D;)

Seriously though I am in the market for one, if they can put retina on it. I prefer to have a device this size and a simple keypad phone instead.

Do you need sandpaper for your iPhone?

blow45
Jul 7, 2012, 10:03 PM
Do you need sandpaper for your iPhone?

Good question, someone should have asked Steve. :)

pkson
Jul 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
My wife and I collectively have an iPad 1, 2, and 3. She has an iPhone 4S, I have an iPhone 4. So, we really don't need any more iDevices...

HOWEVER
If a new iPad 7" is released, I'd buy one.
If my wife lets me.

I would have to convince her I really NEED one... with bullet points like carrying the iPad3 in by messenger bag and the iP7 in my hands, needing to read for extensive periods of time while standing on the subway, needing a second screen for some stuff that I use the iP4 for...

But she probably won't let me...

mantan
Jul 7, 2012, 10:56 PM
My wife and I collectively have an iPad 1, 2, and 3. She has an iPhone 4S, I have an iPhone 4. So, we really don't need any more iDevices...

HOWEVER
If a new iPad 7" is released, I'd buy one.
If my wife lets me.

I would have to convince her I really NEED one... with bullet points like carrying the iPad3 in by messenger bag and the iP7 in my hands, needing to read for extensive periods of time while standing on the subway, needing a second screen for some stuff that I use the iP4 for...

But she probably won't let me...

'have to convince her', 'probably won't let me'.....yo man, you need some scene control. :cool:

gatortpk
Jul 7, 2012, 11:12 PM

May I quote this next year?

JohnDoe98
Jul 7, 2012, 11:49 PM
Yah they are selling the iPad2 and what's left of their stock/components.

They aren't making more iPad2s...big difference there.

False. Along with the release of the iPad 3 was a new iPad 2. There are currently four models of iPad 2s. The 2,1 (Wifi only, no longer in production), the 2,2 (Wifi + GSM), the 2,3 (Wifi + CDMA), and the brand new iPad 2,4 (Wifi only, currently in production with the new A5 chip on the 32nm node, all other models are on the old 45nm node).

The new iPad 2 on the 32nm node is reported to have better battery performance (duration) than any other iPad, including the new iPad 3s.

BTW
Jul 7, 2012, 11:58 PM
I would be interesting if Apple were to release a 7" iPad, but would it be practical? I'd have to say yes. A smaller less expensive iPad would certainly be welcome as an entertainment device more so than a laptop replacement.

Playing games, browsing the web, managing email, and watching videos are all doable on a smaller screen. People have been getting by nicely with the iPhone. Professional application may be lacking due to smaller dimensions but I'm sure there will be the effort to prove me wrong.

I'd be happy to buy one at $199, but we'll see if this is a real product and if Apple believes they need to match the Kindle Fire's price range.

MareLuce
Jul 8, 2012, 12:01 AM
That would fit perfectly in my purse. My current iPad (2) is too big and too heavy.

I'd use it instead of my iPhone when out and about for directions and to save my iPhone battery.

Mak47
Jul 8, 2012, 12:16 AM
Whatever they call it, it's really intended to soak up iPod touch sales. A 7" display is much better for gaming than 3.5". Add to that better web browsing, reading and iPad app capability and you have a pretty desirable product.

It's also designed to dominate the market. I don't see it as apple following their competitors as much as it is simply solidifying their dominant position. Millions of people will not buy a tablet priced over $200-250. They buy them predominantly as more functional ereaders--not computers. This market exists and it is growing. Why force them to go to Android?

Last, Steve Jobs mocking 7" tablets is not going to keep Apple from releasing one. It wouldn't have even if he were still around. Apple has sold iPhones and iPod touches for years and he called them great products. They're only 3.5" displays. If a 7" display is useless then a 3.5" must be absolute garbage right? He knew better. He was making a bold statement to rally people around the chosen form factor for the first iPad. It worked, and he was right. 9.7" is ideal for the majority of people--but now the market has matured and the minority (who it isnt ideal for) is rather large.

It's not my personal choice for a tablet, but really it doesn't make sense NOT to release this product.

Roy G Biv
Jul 8, 2012, 12:34 AM
Sorry, but you must have some mental defect if you think this isn't going to happen. I have a friend with a kid brother who's mildly autistic--even he knows this is going to happen!

fortetfn
Jul 8, 2012, 12:59 AM
It's unlikely that Apple would go against its principle and make a subpar iPad to its current iPad. Whoever is making the rumor about the smaller iPad is an idiot.

Lancer
Jul 8, 2012, 01:12 AM
Not read all of the last 200 posts yet but if this is true then it looks like they are planing the end of the year to be dominated by the iPad and iPhone updates, which could be good new for those of us waiting for the updated iMac. It should come sooner not later now.

But why would they launch a new iPad mini almost a year after the last about not include upgraded 4G for world wide use, why 3G even if the new tech is not wide spread yet?

JMO

pimentoLoaf
Jul 8, 2012, 01:30 AM
I'm waiting for the iPad Cube, with the Limited Edition Newton Interface. :p

Starship77
Jul 8, 2012, 01:30 AM
It totally makes sense! Apple's argument for the iPad in the first place was that it provided the best experience in some key specific tasks.

If they release a very thin, very light, smaller iPad, it would be a MUCH better reader than the current one. You'll be able to easily hold it with one hand and not get tired…

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be extremely thin and portable. The 3rd gen iPad can be a little big and heavy in some cases. And the iPod touch too small...

Apple would never do something just to compete with somebody, or to increase consumer's options… They would do something if they believe it can perform better than anything else in a specific task.

Westside guy
Jul 8, 2012, 01:39 AM
I'd be happy to buy one at $199, but we'll see if this is a real product and if Apple believes they need to match the Kindle Fire's price range.

It would seem more typical of Apple to release a tablet that had more functionality (maybe with 3G and/or GPS) and then pricing it higher, but close enough that people would say "heck, why buy a Fire or Nexus when, for $60 more, I can get the superior iPad".

But maybe at the low end they'll also have a barebones 8GB version, wifi only, that's $194. ;)

Roessnakhan
Jul 8, 2012, 01:47 AM
It's unlikely that Apple would go against its principle and make a subpar iPad to its current iPad.

Well... Apple still sells the iPad 2.

CorvetteZR1
Jul 8, 2012, 02:01 AM
Too late Apple! Already bought a Nexus 7 and guess what? It's epic. :D

Jibbajabba
Jul 8, 2012, 02:50 AM
Interesting how often Cook is being 'blamed' for releases people either didn't expect or don't like. The same people forget that it has been said several times now that S.Jobs left a roadmap of at least 5 years for new products. So if the long iPhone and iPad mini is being released, it is likely one of Jobs ideas to begin with.

smoledman
Jul 8, 2012, 03:26 AM
Is there any actual proof Apple is producing a 7.85" iPad?

MacAddict1978
Jul 8, 2012, 04:58 AM
7.85" is really pushing the 8" mark. It's not .85 inches of extra screen space, it's 1.7" of total space. (I think a lot of people forget that screens are measured on the diagonal.) That extra bit of space makes quite a huge difference. When Jobs said Apple would never do a 7" tablet, he wouldn't actually have been lying.

I find full sized tablets a bit cumbersome after a short while. I find 7" tablets are a big too small. (Especially for magazines.) I'd have to see it in person, but 7.85" might just be hitting that sweet spot on a smaller tablet. And if Apple can ditch the huge amounts of ugly bezel most 7" have, even better.

What is it going to be like? A large iPod touch or a smallish tablet?
To each his own i guess. I reserve judgement until I try it out myself.

The same has been and can be said for the first 3 iPads. There isn't much differentiation of IOS devices except for screen size. (Specs sure, but those specs generally match up to the display being driven.)

An iPad IS just a big iPod touch. The iPhone? Well, it's an iPod touch that makes phone calls.

And this is why it works so well... several device options, one seamless user experience with the same OS, apps, features, etc. Size is a preference.

Still isn't going to happen, and if it does Apple will only price themselves out of the market with it.
And I would also call BS on the idea of it being made on a different production line in a different country to the current iPad and iPhones etc!!

I have a feeling this IS going to happen. The bulk of all tablets sold that aren't iPads are 7" tablets. Part of that is the price, and part of that is preference. Apple would be foolish to let that market share go... because it's not just the hardware, it's the echo system they lose out on too. For ever Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 someone buys, Apple doesn't just lose a hardware sales, they lose residual income from apps and content purchases.

Manufacturing has evolved... past the point of human assembly to mechanical assembly. There's still the human element, but you can't just slap a whole new device onto the same line that's been custom tailored to make another product. It's more likely than not they'd need an entire new production line, because all the other products are still in mass production. A mini iPad wouldn't be replacing anything. And this would make the new factories that were built in South America only make more sense. Everyone was skeptical last year that they really needed a factory in Brazil just for more iPhone production. I don't know why you find this hard to believe? Apple is also under fire over chinese manufacturing. Would be good PR too.

bulldoze
Jul 8, 2012, 05:13 AM
This makes absolutely perfect sense. For a lot of people the iPad is just too big. Eg. for reading books and magazines it is pretty cumbersome which is why so many of us have kindles as well as iPads.

Also, the iPad is increasingly used by small children and a smaller tablet would be much more suitable for them too.

The main reason though is price, there is now to big a gap between the iPad and the nexus 7 and the like.

vvebsta
Jul 8, 2012, 06:42 AM
If it fits into a purse, i bet every woman would prefer it over the bigger size.

Sackvillenb
Jul 8, 2012, 07:41 AM
Although I still have my doubts as to wether apple will actually release this, I think it would be a success if they did. It would compete with the other cheaper tablets, and, importantly, would bring people into the apple ecosystem at a lower price point, and then apple could benefit from the resulting halo effect (especially as stuff like iCloud improves the benefits of being in the apple ecosystem). And I don;t think the size would be a mayor detriment, as the portability would be great for those who need it.

But, if they do make an iPad mini, I wonder if they will beef up the normal iPad in some way, as in specs or features, etc.?

thenewyorkgod
Jul 8, 2012, 07:50 AM

Thanks to YOU and all the others here who are telling me what "i' would be better off with. I would be better off spending $500 i dont have, than spending $250 I Do have (like millions of others) - I would be better off buying a 10" tablet when my needs demand something smaller and more portable?

When you are in best buy and see someone looking at a 32" LCD for his kitchen, do you tell him he is "better off" buying the 60" LED?

dEsUrU
Jul 8, 2012, 08:00 AM
does anyone think there could be a relationship between this device and the partnerships apple has announced with car manufacturers to bring siri to cars?

for me the iphone is too small for gps, and if dash mounted is to hard to read. an ipad seems too large a footprint to deal with.

just speculating.

apolloa
Jul 8, 2012, 08:32 AM
I have a feeling this IS going to happen. The bulk of all tablets sold that aren't iPads are 7" tablets. Part of that is the price, and part of that is preference. Apple would be foolish to let that market share go... because it's not just the hardware, it's the echo system they lose out on too. For ever Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 someone buys, Apple doesn't just lose a hardware sales, they lose residual income from apps and content purchases.

It is NOT going to happen because of the very same reason I have constantly repeated on here. Pricing.

Just how the hell is Apple going to sell a 7" tablet, price it between $199 and $499 plus taxes, and make it competitive agains the Kindle Fire range the the Nexus 7? How???

It will have to be priced around $350 and up, otherwise it will damage iPod Touch sales or the current iPad sales.

This IS Apple, they do NOT do cheap, never have, they aren't going to start now. They cannot compete on a for value level against Amazon and Google, it's the one market Apple cannot enter because of it's pricing culture.

newdeal
Jul 8, 2012, 08:54 AM

I highly doubt it is epic. As an owner of a few android phones and one android tablet as well as a nook colour I can say that imo android is not epic, it is a descent phone OS but for a tablet it isn't great as the browser sucks. Jellybean may help that out but so far iPad is better as a tablet

Roy G Biv
Jul 8, 2012, 08:59 AM
So what about this IGZO display? If it's like something I read about many months ago, it could be every bit as exciting as a mini iPad. I'm thinking brighter colors and better contrast, and maybe looking good in DAYLIGHT! Finally!

Maybe? I don't know.

PorterRocks
Jul 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere else in the thread, but does anyone else think that this supposed 7-inch iPad could be a remote control for an Apple television? Think about it: it would be better than an iPhone remote app as it could display much more information on the display at one time and it would be smaller than a full sized iPad.

Thoughts?

knucklehead
Jul 8, 2012, 09:31 AM

Meaning: it's epic to have one on preorder?

mantan
Jul 8, 2012, 09:36 AM
It is NOT going to happen because of the very same reason I have constantly repeated on here. Pricing.

Just how the hell is Apple going to sell a 7" tablet, price it between $199 and $499 plus taxes, and make it competitive agains the Kindle Fire range the the Nexus 7? How???

It will have to be priced around $350 and up, otherwise it will damage iPod Touch sales or the current iPad sales.

This IS Apple, they do NOT do cheap, never have, they aren't going to start now. They cannot compete on a for value level against Amazon and Google, it's the one market Apple cannot enter because of it's pricing culture.

I see the iPad Mini as replacing the iPod Touch in that price point - not trying to coexist with it. Anybody who has both devices in their family knows how the tablet threw a wet blanket on the iPod touch experience.

The kids used to love playing games, using apps or watching movies on their iPod touches on long trips. Now they fight over who gets to watch a movie on the iPad the other has #firstworldproblems of having to watch it on a 3.5 screen. Heck, I used to watch movies on my phone when I traveled and have found myself wanting a bigger screen.

The iPhone needs the small screen. But as a game/media consumption device, there is no reason for the iPod touch to be stuck in that form factor any longer.

Barry Aldridge
Jul 8, 2012, 09:55 AM
Apple has had a consistent iPad strategy of dominating the high-end market, forcing competitors into the low-cost, low-profit end. A $250 iPad would divert the company's resources toward a low-end, low-profit product, damaging the Apple image. Their profits in the 1st Qtr. of 2012 were $13 billion, double their profits from a year earlier, while iPad market share rose from 54% to 68% while Android market share fell during this same period. (http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Continues+to+Dominate+Tablet+Market+Android+Tablets+Trend+Downwards/article24608.htm) I believe Apple already makes 80% of the profits in the tablet market, although they don't have 80% market share. This essentially means most other tablet makers are selling near cost or at a loss and losing market share. I don't mean this as an indictment or endorsement of one OS over another, but the consumer seems to have spoken.

apolloa
Jul 8, 2012, 09:57 AM
I see the iPad Mini as replacing the iPod Touch in that price point - not trying to coexist with it. Anybody who has both devices in their family knows how the tablet threw a wet blanket on the iPod touch experience.

The kids used to love playing games, using apps or watching movies on their iPod touches on long trips. Now they fight over who gets to watch a movie on the iPad the other has #firstworldproblems of having to watch it on a 3.5 screen. Heck, I used to watch movies on my phone when I traveled and have found myself wanting a bigger screen.

The iPhone needs the small screen. But as a game/media consumption device, there is no reason for the iPod touch to be stuck in that form factor any longer.

Well we will see, but Apple's pricing structure is to maximise profit at point of purchase PLUS rake in all the money from apps and music etc.
It is the reason for it's vast wealth. Kudos to them, I brought into it. But I really don't know if they will change that policy for a 7" tablet.

I mean if they sold a 7" iPad for $250 or less and scrap the iPod Touch, then they will instantly take a hit on 9" iPad sales overnight. Who knows, it's a different Apple now so they may do this.

I will be getting a 7" tab for Christmas, I just sold my Chinese 7" ICS tab because the manufacture updated it, THEN I see the MS Surface, Google Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire 2 rumours haha... talk about timing.

But would I want an iPad? Depends on pricing, I think the UK 8GB Nexus 7 is all I can ask my family to spend on me and I can't see a 7" iPad match it.

However, this year is fast becoming the year of the tablet wars, again.. at both ends of the pricing spectrum.

I was reading a review in Stuff Magazine, a gadget publication, of the Galaxy S3 and they were even questioning Apple's pricing policy of the iPhone 4S, stating you pay WAY more for less tech and Apple no longer gets the newest tech first, but last. Mainly due to having one model updated once a year. But they are right, price wise the iPhone is horrendously expensive for less value for money.

charlituna
Jul 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
I remember two to three years of 'Apple will come out with a tablet computer this year' rumors before it actually happened.

But it didn't happen. Those rumors were a tablet COMPUTER, basically an official Apple ModBook. That is not what Apple released. They released what was basically a giant iPod touch, which like the iPod can do some tasks that can also be done on a computer but was far from what the rumors were saying would happen

And I suspect this rumor and the tv rumor will turn out the same, if anything comes from them at all.

jerome65
Jul 8, 2012, 10:14 AM
Not sure if it will happen, but to all the naysayers this does seem to be consistent with Apple's strategy with the iPod. Start with a high end model and once established move into the lower end market to dominate the field. To that end to expand their market share they have to move to lower priced units. Just look at the range of iPod models and their price points.

There may be some overlap with the iPod touch, but is that really a big seller anyway? I looked at in last year and the specs seem to be poor, particularly the camera, for the money. I think that it is something they could easily do away with if they had an iPad mini. In fact I think they could probably do away with most of the iPod line-up, all they really need is the shuffle and maybe the nano (though it might be nice to have a larger form-factor similar to the Classic).

Mackan
Jul 8, 2012, 10:26 AM
iPad Mini... and a new Apple product upgrade cycle begins, and product differentiation, all over again. Let me guess. It will be totally watered down, very carefully stripped of hardware and features to make sure they can upgrade it on the next generation. And make sure that you have to own a iPad 3, iPad mini and iPhone 4s and MacBook Air in order to cover all your needs.

And most famously, as an example, back to stone age again with a 0.1 megapixel camera. Just so that you can buy a new iPad Mini 2 one year later with a 1.5 megapixel camera.

Getting fed up with the first and second generation of an Apple product. How can Apple be proud over that?

PJMAN2952
Jul 8, 2012, 10:49 AM
If you want a 7 inch tablet, then get the Nexus 7. Its that easy :)

Piggie
Jul 8, 2012, 10:51 AM
Perhaps it's just because I've had an iPad since it's original launch, but you know what. I find the device a bit dull and bland.

Yes, it's a great bit of hardware and works well, but there is no real WOW/PAZAZ factor about it.

Perhaps as the iPad2 and iPad3 have basically been tweaked versions of the iPad1.

I know this gives off a solid and dependable feeling, but it's like a car maker who just has 1 model that he tweaks a bit each year. It's all nice, but it can get a bit dull if that's the only model they make and there are no real options, just do you want leather or fabric seats, what colour, and pick from 3 engine sizes, and that's it.

I suppose I'm saying Apple are, so me anyway, lacking some sparkle in the iPad tablet, and myself anyway, I'd like to feel there was a bit more innovations and variation in their tablet range to spark a bit more interest.

nuckinfutz
Jul 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
Perhaps it's just because I've had an iPad since it's original launch, but you know what. I find the device a bit dull and bland.

Yes, it's a great bit of hardware and works well, but there is no real WOW/PAZAZ factor about it.

It's you that is supposed the Wow and Pizzaz. Computer do what they do well. They organize and crunch numbers. The primary advantage that you have is reasoning and creativity amongst other attributes. When I look at the work created with Sketch or Procreate I'm amazed.

The iPad is a tool and you should be no more wowed by it than a hammer. Save the wow and pizzaz for what you build with that hammer.

Piggie
Jul 8, 2012, 11:41 AM
It's you that is supposed the Wow and Pizzaz. Computer do what they do well. They organize and crunch numbers. The primary advantage that you have is reasoning and creativity amongst other attributes. When I look at the work created with Sketch or Procreate I'm amazed.

The iPad is a tool and you should be no more wowed by it than a hammer. Save the wow and pizzaz for what you build with that hammer.

As I say it's my own view yes.

You see a range of iMacs, or MacBooks, of Android Phones, of Windows PC's or Windows laptops, all offering different things, for different tastes, and the iPad is just this one thing in wow, black or white.

I guess I would just like to see a table with a range of Apple tablets to select from to match your personal taste and price range, in the same way most other things in the world are offered to customers.

Yes, the iPad may be a hammer, but even hammers come in a wide variety of sizes, materials, colours, prices.

nuckinfutz
Jul 8, 2012, 11:44 AM

Yes, the iPad may be a hammer, but even hammers come in a wide variety of sizes, materials, colours, prices.

Oh yes I agree with that. I think a smaller iPad is inevitable as well as a larger iPad.

Touch enabled computing is a new category to me and I've got no problems with a future that could contain

7.85 - iPad mini

9.7 -iPad

12-13" - iPad XL

orfeas0
Jul 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
:Dipad is still pretty affordable and aggressively priced, this smaller version makes no sense, as it would either kill purpose of ipod touch or might prove as a strong competitor to all the other crap like kindle fire n what not in the market, its very interesting to see how this all develops, nope i dont think apple will announce this.

makes no sense!

----------

I don't believe the rumor either, but you're wrong in many aspects.
1st) the iPad ISN'T affordable for most people.
2nd) Kindle fire might be crap now (because it's outdated), but nexus 7 won't be, and that's scary for apple.

A cheap iPad would serve all those people that want a tablet but don't want to spend 500$+ for one.

knucklehead
Jul 8, 2012, 12:10 PM

You see a range of iMacs, or MacBooks, of Android Phones, of Windows PC's or Windows laptops, all offering different things, for different tastes, and the iPad is just this one thing in wow, black or white.

I guess I would just like to see a table with a range of Apple tablets to select from to match your personal taste and price range, in the same way most other things in the world are offered to customers.

I have no idea where this stands right now, but I do think there needs to be some minimal legal requirement regarding how much the actual contents of your "digital life" can be platform independent. With how quickly things are shifting to people investing a lot of time and effort into entering all their personal data these systems, it seems unfair to have all that effort serve to trap them into a particular platform. The move now is clearly to make this all be device independent within a particular platform -- you choose the tool that best suits your needs at the time, and the data seamlessly syncs between them.
It needs to be looked at so that the companies don't lock people into their platform by erecting needless barricades to moving their data between competing ecosystems -- then you can truly have the freedom to pick the best tool for the task.

mantan
Jul 8, 2012, 12:18 PM

I don't believe the rumor either, but you're wrong in many aspects.
1st) the iPad ISN'T affordable for most people.
2nd) Kindle fire might be crap now (because it's outdated), but nexus 7 won't be, and that's scary for apple.

A cheap iPad would serve all those people that want a tablet but don't want to spend 500$+ for one.

Totally agree with your first point. An iPad for most people is a luxury item. $500 barely gets you in the door. Realistically most people are looking at $650-$750.

As well as it's sold, it would sell an outrageous amount at the $300 price point....just like the iPhone.

----------

Well we will see, but Apple's pricing structure is to maximise profit at point of purchase PLUS rake in all the money from apps and music etc.
It is the reason for it's vast wealth. Kudos to them, I brought into it. But I really don't know if they will change that policy for a 7" tablet.

I mean if they sold a 7" iPad for $250 or less and scrap the iPod Touch, then they will instantly take a hit on 9" iPad sales overnight. Who knows, it's a different Apple now so they may do this.

I will be getting a 7" tab for Christmas, I just sold my Chinese 7" ICS tab because the manufacture updated it, THEN I see the MS Surface, Google Nexus 7, and the Kindle Fire 2 rumours haha... talk about timing.

But would I want an iPad? Depends on pricing, I think the UK 8GB Nexus 7 is all I can ask my family to spend on me and I can't see a 7" iPad match it.

However, this year is fast becoming the year of the tablet wars, again.. at both ends of the pricing spectrum.

I was reading a review in Stuff Magazine, a gadget publication, of the Galaxy S3 and they were even questioning Apple's pricing policy of the iPhone 4S, stating you pay WAY more for less tech and Apple no longer gets the newest tech first, but last. Mainly due to having one model updated once a year. But they are right, price wise the iPhone is horrendously expensive for less value for money.

We've seen Apple stray a bit from that model. The $99 8-gig iPhone 4/free with contact 3GS wasn't about maximizing profit' as much as getting people hooked into the ecosystem earlier.

Suddenly an iPhone for teens went from a luxury item or hand-me-down to an easy purchase. Apple knew people would quickly outgrow those devices and move on to something more storage.

I see the iPad mini being the same way. Apple would likely spec it out so that it met general needs, but would likely limit the storage (16 GB max) and display to still encourage people to 'grow into' a more expensive Apple tablet.

timescaper
Jul 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this isn't an iPad Mini at all but a remote for the new TV product?

CorvetteZR1
Jul 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this isn't an iPad Mini at all but a remote for the new TV product?

Yes.

apolloa
Jul 8, 2012, 12:52 PM

And you would STILL be looking for a 7.85" tablet remote for half an hour in your front room!!!!

lzyprson
Jul 8, 2012, 01:40 PM
i'm tellin ya; they are not likely to glaze over 'the word of steve' this soon atleast, that's my opinion; all this is my opinion: this will be an ipod touch xl. money they don't have a model with 3g/4g, it will be wifi only. this will be considered an entry level device to the ipad (which i also believe in light of microsoft surface will see a feature-add spec-bump to compete ala ipad pro? maybe..) it'll compete directly with the kindle fire and the new nexus tablet. you are still gonna pay a premium on it for that little fruit logo so i am guessing starting base at $250+ up to the largest storage capacity at no more than $499. this will fit that sweat spot they are missin between the current ipod touch models that top out at $399 and the entry level price of the ipad at $499.

like i said, this is all my own opinion

What if it's all that but also marketed as a controller/companion for the apple tv set top box and the new apple tv store on iTunes?

JohnDoe98
Jul 8, 2012, 01:44 PM

While I doubt the reality of a 7" ipad, how do you explain the mac mini if Apple never cheapens?

lzyprson
Jul 8, 2012, 01:48 PM

I'm with you..

macchiato2009
Jul 8, 2012, 02:15 PM
keeping an inexpensive iPad 2 was already a huge sacrifice from Apple in terms of margin

i don't think it would make sense to believe in a smaller iPad

moreover, Apple has never released a product with lower specs than existing range

more improvements for each generation and suddenly a smaller ipad with lower screen resolution than retina ?

no way

poloponies
Jul 8, 2012, 02:20 PM
We've seen Apple stray a bit from that model. The $99 8-gig iPhone 4/free with contact 3GS wasn't about maximizing profit' as much as getting people hooked into the ecosystem earlier.

Suddenly an iPhone for teens went from a luxury item or hand-me-down to an easy purchase. Apple knew people would quickly outgrow those devices and move on to something more storage.

You mean the carrier-subsidized phones that generate a fairly high profit for Apple on fairly low manufacturing costs? Smartphones are never a good example because they're closer to a 50% profit margin.

nuckinfutz
Jul 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
keeping an inexpensive iPad 2 was already a huge sacrifice from Apple in terms of margin

i don't think it would make sense to believe in a smaller iPad

moreover, Apple has never released a product with lower specs than existing range

more improvements for each generation and suddenly a smaller ipad with lower screen resolution than retina ?

no way

We all know you have no idea what the margin is on the iPad 2. As for the lower specs the Macbook Pro 13" model still has a lower screen resolution than the 13" Macbook Air which refutes your second point.

miniroll32
Jul 8, 2012, 02:55 PM

So... Apple sell their TV and a very expensive remote-iPad-iPod separately?

Nahh.

apolloa
Jul 8, 2012, 03:10 PM
While I doubt the reality of a 7" ipad, how do you explain the mac mini if Apple never cheapens?

Well, in the UK the Mac Mini starts from £529 or $818, with NO keyboard, monitor, mouse, CD or DVD Rom drive and only 2GB Ram.
And actually on the US Apple store it starts from $599 plus tax! How many computers can you get in America for $599 with a keyboard, mouse and monitor, how many laptops even?

If you think that's cheap, you aren't living in the real world and must either be a millionaire or an investment banker that got mega rich from the recession??

Again, Apple do NOT do cheap.

ownerofmac&ipod
Jul 8, 2012, 03:16 PM
Not sure why everyone is convinced that a smaller iPad will kill iPod touch. I've been an iPod touch user since the first generation and have owned most of its newer siblings. It's small. It fits in my pocket or hand. It fits on my armband when I exercise. An iPad could be the same price but I'm not going to be able to strap it to my arm or carry it when I'm at the gym or riding my bike. The way I see it, iPod already has established its base. iPad is small and convenient, but not where the iPod is. I'd buy a small iPad even if it were cheaper than an iPod.