Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I've used the EyeTV HD for over a year and it works great. Haven't noticed much of a difference streaming it on either the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. Picture quality is HD and about the same on both.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I've used the EyeTV HD for over a year and it works great. Haven't noticed much of a difference streaming it on either the iPad 2 and the iPad 3. Picture quality is HD and about the same on both.

What kind of channels do you get? How much battery drain? Do you use it on a daily basis? Thanks!

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I think the two of you are talking about different devices. The EyeTV HD allows transcoding of recorded TV shows which can then be streamed to the iPad. The EyeTV Mobile is actually a live tuner connected to the iPad; I believe it's not available in North America.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I think the two of you are talking about different devices. The EyeTV HD allows transcoding of recorded TV shows which can then be streamed to the iPad. The EyeTV Mobile is actually a live tuner connected to the iPad; I believe it's not available in North America.

Yes, I misunderstood. I thought the op was asking about the EyeTV iPad application which streams live and recorded TV from your existing provider via the EyeTV HD or EyeTV Hybrid.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007

Correct. I'm interested in getting live TV straight on the iPad 3 or New iPad. Is there a specific reason why it's not available in NA? If I were to import on from Amazon or some such? Would it work?

I really need to find a couple people who use these daily to get a good idea how well they hold up over time.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
There is the difference between NTSC and Pal, which is probably a factor. I would imagine that greater distances in North America are an issue; the experience is likely to be satisfactory only in major cities, close to broadcast centres. Then, of course, there's the ever popular fear of the copyright police.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.