PDA

View Full Version : encoding H.264 on a PC? or how to do it fast on a Mac?

cb911
Jul 26, 2005, 05:53 PM
hi all,

i've got around 3 hours 45 minutes of footage here that i want to encode as H.264.

so far i've tried using Compressor twice, using the "QuickTime 7 Download - H.264 LAN" preset. i knew that it would take a while to encode - Batch Monitor started out putting the 'estimated time' at around 50 hours. well i can handle that. but then after about 24 hours of processing it's gone up to around 100 hours. :eek: i just can't wait that long - i need my Mac for some editing on Friday night.

so i'm wondering - is there any way i can encode this footage on a PC? i've edited it with FCP so if i was going to encode it on a PC i guess i'd have to first export it as DV footage (which is what it was originally - PAL DV)? which would make a rather large ~40GB file that i'd have to transfer to the PC (which isn't that big a deal since i've got a gigabit LAN setup). then once on the PC - what software could i use to encode it to H.264?

my Mac is a 1.25GHz PowerBook, 1.5GB RAM - so i guess that explains why it'd take so long using it. i don't mind if it takes just as long on the PC, i just can't have my Mac tied up for so long. (of course it'd be great to be able to get it done quicker.) the PC is a Athlon XP 2200+, 1GB RAM.

thanks for any help, i'll check for any opensource apps for Windows that encode H.264 now, but please do post if you've got any suggestions.

also - i don't suppose it'd be possible to setup a network encode using both the PC and my Mac?

thanks for your help. :)

PS - i've also been wondering about Batch Monitor... i needed some extra CPU - so i thought i'd stop then encode and them resume it later (i read that manual and i got the impression that that's what it'd do). so i hit "stop". then i came back later and hit "resume" - only to find out that the encode was starting right from scratch!! :mad: is this how it is supposed to work? is there really no "resume" function?

vniow
Jul 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
what software could i use to encode it to H.264?

Quicktime Pro?

wrc fan
Jul 26, 2005, 06:48 PM
You can use the open source x264 codec (http://developers.videolan.org/x264.html). It has a command line utility, which I've never used. But you could also use VLC to encode the video. I've had experience using Gordian Knot and the x264 codec, but that won't play in QuickTime, only in VLC and MplayerOSX.

Oryan
Jul 26, 2005, 09:57 PM
I've noticed that when I'm encoding Mpeg2 videos, if i change the processor usage from automatic to highest in system prefs, my render time decreases significantly. I've never tried changing the setting during a render though.

wrc fan
Jul 26, 2005, 10:26 PM
I've noticed that when I'm encoding Mpeg2 videos, if i change the processor usage from automatic to highest in system prefs, my render time decreases significantly. I've never tried changing the setting during a render though.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. Using handbrake for h.264 mp4s on automatic it takes about 14-16 hours. With highest it takes around 8-10.