Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Derekuda

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
I bought a 3rd gen Apple TV, and I absolutely love it but...... Whenever I am at my Girlfriends house, her Roku just never stops blowing me away! Netflix, Crackel, Hulu Plus, Amazon on Demand, ect....! The content never ends. I'm thinking of selling my Apple TV to trade in for a Roku. I know Apple does not respond to these forums, but I hope they read them. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add more content.

EPMac1

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
As soon as there is a jailbreak available for the ATV3, yours will blow hers out the water. No joke. Ask any ATV2 user who has theirs jailbroken.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
While the Roku boxes are some of the best on the market, AirPlay audio from my Mac or iOS device is used more often than anything else. More audio listening, podcasts, audiobooks and music in my average day than video. I like my AppleTV but agree that you should use what fits your usage.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I don't want to have to jailbreak - just want Apple to pull their fingers out and add third party apps, which might address some of the reasons for jailbreaking in the first place :) Very happy with ATV otherwise though, so I'm certainly not jumping ship in the meantime.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
As soon as there is a jailbreak available for the ATV3, yours will blow hers out the water. No joke. Ask any ATV2 user who has theirs jailbroken.

I do not think we will see, i have not heard about anyone working for it for a long time and there has been rumours about it that no hacker is working on it.

But, if we get atv apps with ios6 maybe we will not need a jailbreak.

atv is not using its potential capabilities and way behind other ios devices with its restricted custom ios version, its like the wall china . If apple is thinking airplay will save atv then they are wrong, now all their effort is iphone ipad and airplay mirroring. Its like an adopted child in a large family. They even do not speculate, do not mention it in media. Even hackers do not worry to hack it.

No news, no updates currently nothing about 99 dollars atv.

A powerful app store for atv may change this scenario if they do it with ios6.

I have got high hopes from ios6, lets hope that apple will not let us down.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
All the apps in the World won't help if the dang box cannot stay connected to itunes. I don't have any problems with my Mac Mini connecting to my plex server, nor my PS3 or Xbox, but cannot keep the ATV3 connected for more than one tv show or movie, I'm tired of having to reboot the Atv to have it connect, so I think I'm putting them up for sale.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
All the apps in the World won't help if the dang box cannot stay connected to itunes. I don't have any problems with my Mac Mini connecting to my plex server, nor my PS3 or Xbox, but cannot keep the ATV3 connected for more than one tv show or movie, I'm tired of having to reboot the Atv to have it connect, so I think I'm putting them up for sale.

Interesting. I haven't had an ATV disconnect once.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Don't count on an ATV 3 jailbreak. I'm beginning to doubt that we'll see one.

Yeah I can see how an un-jailbroken ATV can get old fast unless you have netflix and that is all you use..

I would like to see ATV in the future with more options and customizability.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I bought a 3rd gen Apple TV, and I absolutely love it but...... Whenever I am at my Girlfriends house, her Roku just never stops blowing me away! Netflix, Crackel, Hulu Plus, Amazon on Demand, ect....! The content never ends. I'm thinking of selling my Apple TV to trade in for a Roku. I know Apple does not respond to these forums, but I hope they read them. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add more content.

I have both the ATV and a Roku (you can own both you know), but we really do not use the Roku that much. While i would like to see Apps on the ATV, TBH i am allready paying for netflix and i have most of what we watch in iTunes so i do not see the need to pay for Hulu or any of the other stuff.

rlu929s

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
I used to have connection issues with iTunes and homesharing. I was using my iPhones/iPads as remote. I removed those off someone's suggestions and that fixed my problem.

Recently it seems to not like anything but ATV/ITunes home sharing.

Mine will lose connection every couple weeks, but a quick restart of iTunes/router fixes that.

I'm pretty happy otherwise. Most of our TV shows and movies can be found in ITunes. It might be worth getting netflix for the kids shows though.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Picked up ATV2 before ATV3 launch for $50 off craigslist.

Rok...what?

Free Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix...and whatever XBMC has to offer.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
ATV 3 — really, is no one working on a hack for this thing currently??

Surely both XBMC and Plex users are crawling up their walls waiting to get their server software to connect to these things, so why is no one working on it any more? Seems strange to me.

I'm holding off buying one (and setting-up Plex) until it's hacked and working; hurry-up, someone get into the thing.
...hurrrmph!

(It's been 4 months already since it was released. At this rate, Apple will have released a new TV-type product before the ATV 3 ever gets hacked. Not great?!)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
ATV 3 — really, is no one working on a hack for this thing currently??

Surely both XBMC and Plex users are crawling up their walls waiting to get their server software to connect to these things, so why is no one working on it any more? Seems strange to me.

I'm holding off buying one (and setting-up Plex) until it's hacked and working; hurry-up, someone get into the thing.
...hurrrmph!

(It's been 4 months already since it was released. At this rate, Apple will have released a new TV-type product before the ATV 3 ever gets hacked. Not great?!)

In case you haven't been following the latest on ATV3 jailbreak, word on the street is that it is simply not that high on anyone's list.

ATV3 is difficult to jailbreak because it has very limited functions, and therefore it's simply much harder to find a loophole somewhere that would allow exploitation.

So honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath for ATV3 jailbreak anytime soon.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
If that's the case... then why could they do ATV2, and not ATV3?

I mean there's gotta be several 100,000's of ATV3 owners, with a good proportion of them wanting it as a HTPC streaming client, so surely given such a high amount of people needing it broken, why wouldn't it be "high on anyone's list."?
Confusing situation to say the least.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
...unless they're so f*cked-off with trying unsuccessfully, they've all given up! :cool:
That'd be the most obvious reason, I suspect.

Oh great! :(

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
If that's the case... then why could they do ATV2, and not ATV3?

I mean there's gotta be several 100,000's of ATV3 owners, with a good proportion of them wanting it as a HTPC streaming client, so surely given such a high amount of people needing it broken, why wouldn't it be "high on anyone's list."?
Confusing situation to say the least.

Atv is not even high on Apple's list, why for any others ? I think they are busy with ipad and iphone theres whole world going for it. Atv is less known, here I live in Turkey there are very few people who are aware of device like Atv but everybody is saving money for iphone 5 so for a hacker if there is a much very popular product to spend time on why to waste with atv3 ?

Apple sold lots of iphone because jailbreak effect. Lots of I know bought iphone after a jailbreak released.

Atv is focused on US content and services like all other apple products, no wonder why it is not popular out the states. Apple has never been good at integration with 3rd world.

Do not expect anything, if we get something probably it will be from apple's hand not from the hands of hackers. Wait for ios6, there have been rumours flying around that implements we will get apps with ios6.

Adding new feature of changing menu icons on ios6 beta 2 reveals signs of atv apps upcomming..

ssgrif

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
cracking ATV3 will be high on the Jb communities list simply because it hasnt been cracked yet. everyone will want to be the 1st to do it and once we see the update applied to it later this year we'll have it done shortly afterwards. I'd say it will eb done by the end of the year.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
cracking ATV3 will be high on the Jb communities list simply because it hasnt been cracked yet. everyone will want to be the 1st to do it and once we see the update applied to it later this year we'll have it done shortly afterwards. I'd say it will eb done by the end of the year.

Believe me if it was that important they would have done it.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Believe me if it was that important they would have done it.

I think you miss the point entirely.

To start with, the portable iOS devices have largely heavily all been JB'd now, hence the community around the hacking of them continues as it's always done since the earliest iOS breaks.

This thread is specifically talking about the ATV3, which users want to plug into the 2nd/3rd/4th TV's in their homes with the client software versions of Plex or XBMC, in order to have content stream from where their main TV usually is connected to (for example) a Mac Mini –with external storage hanging off it containing their whole video/audio libraries– which thus has the main server software for Plex or XBMC.

ATV3 offers 1080p streaming from server to client (which ATV2 doesn't): that's the whole reason for a jailbreak of the device to be important to several 100,000 users.

Hence surely a great incentive for XBMC/Plex specific hackers to get into the thing for both their own usage and the mass XBMC/Plex community as a whole.

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Does anyone have more reliable info on the hacking currently happening on JB-ing the ATV3; please come and let us all know.

(I tend to get pissed-off with trying to keep-up with those XBMC/Plex forums, as the info is unclear with mixed messages coming from all directions constantly.
They never seem to offer a straight-forward section on their sites' where clear up-to-date info is put for each device, so we don't have to traipse through their forums all the time to pick out the details of what the current situation is!). :)

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Does anyone have more reliable info on the hacking currently happening on JB-ing the ATV3; please come and let us all know.

(I tend to get pissed-off with trying to keep-up with those XBMC/Plex forums, as the info is unclear with mixed messages coming from all directions constantly.
They never seem to offer a straight-forward section on their sites' where clear up-to-date info is put for each device, so we don't have to traipse through their forums all the time to pick out the details of what the current situation is!). :)

appletvhacks would likely have any info posted once its available

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.