Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
I can't seem to open any of the iWork 09 apps in Mountain Lion- they just crash :mad:. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope this is fixed by the the release... because I use iWork all the time!

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Probably going to be an update, whether it is to the old suite or a new release who knows. I'd be pretty surprised if the old suite didn't work at all though, not everyone would want to pay for the new one, assuming one shows up.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Probably going to be an update, whether it is to the old suite or a new release who knows. I'd be pretty surprised if the old suite didn't work at all though, not everyone would want to pay for the new one, assuming one shows up.

You're probably right... and it is about time for a new release :D.

------------

If iWork isn't updated by the time of ML's release, I might think about going to office. We'll see :p

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I can't seem to open any of the iWork 09 apps in Mountain Lion- they just crash :mad:. Has anyone else experienced this? I hope this is fixed by the the release... because I use iWork all the time!

FWIW, I've launched and used all three iWork apps on the latest 10.8 builds with no issues whatsoever.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
and where did you get this rumour? You probably just made this up, or are speculating.

Well, there's going to be an update to iWork when ML is released, because they need to:
1. Remove iWork.com references
2. Update it for iCloud sync

Although it'll probably come as a .X update, rather than a whole new version.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
Thats not even a rumor, its purely speculation. A rumor has a source, some form of corroboration, this is just a random website saying "Hey, this could make sense, so lets post it up and get some page views."

Well don't you think iWork should get an update? Its been a few years since iWork 09 came out

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Well don't you think iWork should get an update? Its been a few years since iWork 09 came out

Do I think it will get an update? Yes, it has to in order to work as advertised with Mountain Lion. Do I think it may be more than a point release? I hope so, but I don't know for certain. Neither does the website linked, and they have as little evidence as I do (meaning none) to support one way or the other.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
What new features could Apple bring that would warrant a whole new version number though? I've been thinking about it and I really can't think of anything that's obviously missing. Obivously you can add stuff like new transitions/animations to Keynote etc, but what substantial things do people feel are missing from iWork?
(When i say there's no features i can think of for iWork, bear in mind I only use Pages & Keynote, I don't need to use Numbers)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
What new features could Apple bring that would warrant a whole new version number though? I've been thinking about it and I really can't think of anything that's obviously missing. Obivously you can add stuff like new transitions/animations to Keynote etc, but what substantial things do people feel are missing from iWork?
(When i say there's no features i can think of for iWork, bear in mind I only use Pages & Keynote, I don't need to use Numbers)

there is a lot they could incorporate into numbers. If your just using it for basic calculations then you might not notice the difference between numbers and excel, but there is a reason why excel is used by industry. It has many more functions, equations built right in. It is a more professional application than numbers which is quite basic when compared to the latest excel.

I really hope they will update iWork, but unfortunately have doubts we will see anything.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Thats not even a rumor, its purely speculation. A rumor has a source, some form of corroboration, this is just a random website saying "Hey, this could make sense, so lets post it up and get some page views."

Which is what the vast majority of posts are on this very website. Some analyst saying "this could make sense" and then Macrumors publishing it. So his source is cult of mac, you can corroborate they wrote the story. No difference.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Which is what the vast majority of posts are on this very website. Some analyst saying "this could make sense" and then Macrumors publishing it. So his source is cult of mac, you can corroborate they wrote the story. No difference.

Most rumors wil say that they themselves have sources that reported to them that Apple is actually developing the software. That is not what is going on here. Cult of Mac is also really low on credibility. There has not been to date any active rumors of any development on iWork at all from mainstream analysts. Macworld, TUAW, AppleInsider, here - nothing. The link provided above is just empty speculation and not a report on anything. It’s all internal to the website by users.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC

Most rumors wil say that they themselves have sources that reported to them that Apple is actually developing the software. That is not what is going on here. Cult of Mac is also really low on credibility. There has not been to date any active rumors of any development on iWork at all from mainstream analysts. Macworld, TUAW, AppleInsider, here - nothing. The link provided above is just empty speculation and not a report on anything. It’s all internal to the website by users.

And to further pdjudd's point, this is a post on one site, about a post on a different, even less credible, site that says "it makes sense that they may be doing this."

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
And to further pdjudd's point, this is a post on one site, about a post on a different, even less credible, site that says "it makes sense that they may be doing this."

While cult of mac sucks, there have been rumors for years now about a new iWork, none of them proved true, just like the overwhelming majority of analyst predictions proved false, clearly indicating their claims of inside sources are all fabricated. If you want to convince yourself there is a difference here go ahead, but the track record of most of these sites, like cult of mac, digitimes, etc. are actually no better, or better informed/researched, than the opinion of many of the forum members here.

NotYoMac

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Mineola, TX
Yeah, office is much nicer but I love the cloud integration with iWork. Or did while it was working lol. Wonder if office will ever integrate as well as iWork.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
iWork isn't a waste- it works fine (though in ML it may need to be fixed). I use iWork a lot, and am very satisfied with it.

He's just a troll. Put him (along with several others in this sub-forum) on your ignore list and life gets just a little bit nicer.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
I don't see an iWork '12 coming out. It'll just be a free update to the existing iWork suite, with a further deemphasis of the '09 designation. The new update will add support for Mountain Lion's new features (iCloud, and I'm not sure what else) and perhaps some smaller enhancements.

iWork is the Office suite for the "rest of us." It's not intended to replace Word or Excel for true professionals. It's intended to be a "Microsoft Works" that doesn't suck--a suite that does what most people need, really well.

As a general rule, I don't see Apple doing many paid software upgrades going forward. They make their money on hardware.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
He's just a troll. Put him (along with several others in this sub-forum) on your ignore list and life gets just a little bit nicer.

Thanks.

---------

Even if a new version of iWork is released, there will probably be an update issued for the '09 apps as well, because, as mentioned before, there will be users who don't want to upgrade.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

iWork X as a native 64 bit app.
Numbers would so benefit from this.

EDIT
This is only my wish. Sorry for not stating that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.