Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Hi all,

I had originally intended to buy a shiny new powerbook to enter the world of Mac for the first time. Things haven't gone quite to plan - but I still have gone Mac in a very small way. I placed an order for a iPod Mini last night... :D

I'm sure this won't excite too many other people, but I'm pretty happy about it!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I bet you'll love your new iPod. Congratulations, and welcome to the family. Oh, and iPods are great, but they need accessories. I would recommend this, a pair of good earphones, and one of these. ;) :eek: :D

Because, well, you know, every iPod gets lonely and needs a momma on the desk next to it. :D

Cfly

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2004
Mac Me Up said:
Hi all,

I had originally intended to buy a shiny new powerbook to enter the world of Mac for the first time. Things haven't gone quite to plan - but I still have gone Mac in a very small way. I placed an order for a iPod Mini last night... :D

I'm sure this won't excite too many other people, but I'm pretty happy about it!

if you are a student you should get the new ibook and the free ipod mini that goes with it

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
If I was a student I wouldn't have the money to buy the iBook in the first place :p

...oh wait...I have a full time job and still can't afford an iBook. *shakes fist at Apples overpriced notebooks*

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Mac Me Up said:
If I was a student I wouldn't have the money to buy the iBook in the first place :p

...oh wait...I have a full time job and still can't afford an iBook. *shakes fist at Apples overpriced notebooks*

Overpriced, the iBook? I don't think so.

I worked up a comparable Dell on Tuesday (Inspiron 700m configured to be comparable to the base iBook, including some antivirus (since it's needed for a PC), XP Pro, and a PC Card Bluetooth adapter), and it was about $1500 for the same thing as a $1000 iBook.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
hmmm...over 1 week has passed and still no iPod. Does anyone from Australia have any experience in buying from the Apple Store online? It was marked as shipped last Thursday morning...which must mean that they don't ship it from Australia if it takes sooooo long. :confused:

Anyone else know how long it will take?

paperinacup

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2005
Well my iPod was from an Apple warehouse in Mira Loma, CA (4 Miles away) and was sent from a UPS warehouse in Ontario, CA (2 Miles away).

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Still no iPod :eek:

So I gave the Apple store a call (it's now been 2 weeks since I ordered). Apparently they don't know where the shipment is and they were expecting it last week. The guy said he'd give me a call back when he finds out more information.

I think next time I'll just buy my mac stuff from a proper retailer...I had no idea it would take this long to get something as simple as an iPod! :(

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
Mac Me Up said:
Still no iPod :eek:

So I gave the Apple store a call (it's now been 2 weeks since I ordered). Apparently they don't know where the shipment is and they were expecting it last week. The guy said he'd give me a call back when he finds out more information.

I think next time I'll just buy my mac stuff from a proper retailer...I had no idea it would take this long to get something as simple as an iPod! :(

That's definitely not usual... Act upset (in a nice sort of way), and you'll probably get some free stuff.

drumpat01

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2004
Denton, TX
I started out with just an iPod too as my into into the mac world and will soon be buying my first mac desktop, the Mac Mini (middle size one).

Ya thats odd that it hasn't come in yet, id definitly raise some hell about that.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
drumpat01 said:
I started out with just an iPod too as my into into the mac world and will soon be buying my first mac desktop, the Mac Mini (middle size one).

Ya thats odd that it hasn't come in yet, id definitly raise some hell about that.
I did the exact same thing. My iPod let me see the light. A year later, the iBook let me see what's in the light.
:D

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
JeffTL said:
Overpriced, the iBook? I don't think so.

I worked up a comparable Dell on Tuesday (Inspiron 700m configured to be comparable to the base iBook, including some antivirus (since it's needed for a PC), XP Pro, and a PC Card Bluetooth adapter), and it was about $1500 for the same thing as a $1000 iBook.

Wow, what do you think a comparable laptop is. The weakest 700m is already stronger than the iBook line in processing terms by leaps and bounds. I don't know why you added pro, as it's not needed by most people. Antivirus isn't needed for anyone, but leave it as it's only $50 or so. Add RAM, as that is needed ($60 to get it to 512). Around $1050 for a far superior laptop (in hardware terms), and you could get one that is equivalent to the iBook for much less.

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2005
gco212 said:
Wow, what do you think a comparable laptop is. The weakest 700m is already stronger than the iBook line in processing terms by leaps and bounds. I don't know why you added pro, as it's not needed by most people. Antivirus isn't needed for anyone, but leave it as it's only $50 or so. Add RAM, as that is needed ($60 to get it to 512). Around $1050 for a far superior laptop (in hardware terms), and you could get one that is equivalent to the iBook for much less.

The Mac's big selling tools is its software. Windows Xp comes with a severly unstable operating sytem, and with Windows utilities you probably will never use and end up buying special software for DVD burning, Photos, etc...
With the Mac you get OS Tiger(I hope I dont need to explain this benefit) and ILife which is far superior to any Windows Utility.
Oh and dont even get me started on compatability issues...Mac can read alot of Microsoft programs, but it doesnt work the other way as much. The only difference would be gaming...which you really dont need to do on a notebook.

Heres the kicker...no registry. :)

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
If I could weigh in. If you compare the Mac and PC Hardware wise, the PC will always win out in terms of being cheaper. Some people would claim otherwise, but realistically how could Mac possibly compete with the volume that people like Dell do. In truth they don't even try and compete. Mac's are relativily overpriced for one main reason - they can be. Because just like is pointed out here, they have superior software (by far) and have the 'iCandy' factor (software and hardware) that Apple can and does charge for. :cool:

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
We ordered an ipod mini for a friend as a birthday present recently, ordered on a friday and it arrived the following tuesday. Was very impressed :D

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
chucknorris said:
That's definitely not usual... Act upset (in a nice sort of way), and you'll probably get some free stuff.

I ordered a mini on wenesday night, had it on friday morning bout 10:30 sorry but not all stories are bad :)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Mac Me Up said:
Some people would claim otherwise, but realistically how could Mac possibly compete with the volume that people like Dell do. In truth they don't even try and compete.
Dell doesn't write their own operating system to correspond with their hardware. This is likely the strongest advantage for Apple, and is equally noticed by businesses as they transform their network into Macs-only. As more and more commercial facilities move to Mac, Apple will gain some long-term users; once a company decides on an operating system etc. for their setup, it is likely never to be changed again. Dell has a great volume of sales because they are so heavily imbedded into the workplace, period, not because they are quality (as I would argue any PC manufacturer that has to license out an operating system is not totally focused on quality).

Good luck with the iPod-getting. I would suggest to call and gripe a bit, may help.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
Finally...I got it this afternoon :D

The guy from the apple store rang to let me know that it was coming, and apologised for the delay. No freebies, but I'm still happy. Had a bit of a weird experience plugging it in, where it complained about needing to be reformatted...so I followed it's intstructions and it went from version 1.4 of the iPod software to 1.3 :confused: . No idea why on earth it did that, but it all works well. I'm just charging and copying my songs to it as we speak :cool:

It looks like it was shipped from New South Wales...which is only one postal day away, so I have no idea what the delay would have been. Anyway, it's all sorted now, and while I'm not happy with how long it took to get here, I'm happy with my new iPod!

Hopefully one day soon I'll be the proud owner of a new powerbook as well, but first I need to save some money...

bigredsixer

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2005
Mac Me Up said:
...Had a bit of a weird experience plugging it in, where it complained about needing to be reformatted...so I followed it's intstructions and it went from version 1.4 of the iPod software to 1.3 :confused: . No idea why on earth it did that, but it all works well...

Let me guess...using Itunes for Windows? Hell might have froze over, but Itunes was never made for Windows...it just doesnt work like it should on a mac. Scrolling and getting music skips, etc... sigh.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Btw, i wan wondering, is this the right time to buy an iPod Mini?
I mean in a couple of months, there will be this Apple Expo thing, do u think it's wise to get an ipod Mini now or wait and see if Apple's gonna release an iPod mini with colour screen?

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
DarkNetworks said:
I mean in a couple of months, there will be this Apple Expo thing, do u think it's wise to get an ipod Mini now or wait and see if Apple's gonna release an iPod mini with colour screen?

Unless you have a pressing need, or want to take advantage of the student union promo, I would suggest that you wait. I've heard a couple of things about a color mini as well as an 8-gig mini.

The bottom line is that you'll definitely get more for your money if you wait for an update, so do so if possible.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
DarkNetworks said:
The audio on my mini sounds just as good with the current screen as it will with a color screen.
If you want pic capabilities you probably want a larger hd than the mini offers anyway. If you need it now, buy it without hesitation, if you can wait, then wait.

Only time and Steve will tell...

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Yeah i'll most probally waiting for one...it depends...if till end of September and still no ipod mini (colour screen), i'll just get the iPod (Colour)...i certainly think there's no point in rushing to something and regret about it after two months...thnx for the advice and comments...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.