PDA

View Full Version : Enough of all this Powerbook stuff, I want a new D/P iMac!!!


thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 03:55 PM
Enough said.

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 03:56 PM
WOW! What a sensible post, nice job newbie :( :rolleyes:

There's a reason for having a consumor and Pro line you know....

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:01 PM
You know, what with Jaguar being optimised for dual processors, along with Photoshop, Premiere, Cubase SX etc., I'd hate to think that the full potential wasn't being reached.

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:02 PM
... and the iMac is a Pro Machine... ... and we're all consumers...

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:05 PM
I'd quite happily buy a PowerMac if it wasn't for the terrible fan noise - most of my work is with audio, the iMac is more of a 'silent runner'.

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
... and the iMac is a Pro Machine... ... and we're all consumers...
Maybe you ought to check Apples product line...

eMac, iMac, iBook = low cost (kinda) consumer line
PowerMac, PowerBook, xServe = high cost pro line

shesh! :rolleyes:

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:09 PM
and while we're at it, a 40gig iPod as well.

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 04:12 PM
I can see you're going to be a great addition to the MacRumors community...:eek: :rolleyes: ...if only AlphaTech (old timers will remember) was still around, he'd soon straighten you out ;) :D

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:15 PM
And also support for Bluetooth and USB 2, with built-in coffee dispenser.

Yeah!

Spock
Nov 7, 2002, 04:22 PM
If you want a D/P Mac get a Powermac Dual 867Mhz $$1699.00. Edesignuk, back of, you were a newbie too.

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Spock
Edesignuk, back of, you were a newbie too.
Hey, I'm not flaming the guy/gal, and I don't pick on newbies either....just this one for posting junk.

beez7777
Nov 7, 2002, 04:29 PM
first off, a dual processor iMac would be about as expensive as a mid linee powermac. the iMac is not a pro machine, as reflected in several ways. first off, the color of the keyboard. pro machines have black keys, consumer macs have white. second, the cost. also, why would you want a 40 gig iPod?? try to fill up a 20 gig. think about how much music that is. one more thing, having 6 of the 10 posts on this thread is a good way to get yelled at

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:32 PM
Junk? You've hurt my feelings now... I thought this was the forum for hardware discussion and speculation?
I'm sorry if I've offended you
P.S Nice website edesign

D/P's in an iMac are not a reality I accept.
However, a 40 gig iPod would be most welcome, as would usb 2/ bluetooth etc., and I'm sure this is just a matter of time.

Just kind of sick of all the Powerbook / iBook stuff, thought I'd create a different thread.

Still want the coffee dispenser

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
Junk? You've hurt my feelings now... I thought this was the forum for hardware discussion and speculation?
I'm sorry if I've offended you
P.S Nice website edesign

D/P's in an iMac are not a reality I accept.
However, a 40 gig iPod would be most welcome, as would usb 2/ bluetooth etc., and I'm sure this is just a matter of time.

Just kind of sick of all the Powerbook / iBook stuff, thought I'd create a different thread.

Still want the coffee dispenser
Cool, now your starting to talk sense. A dual CPU iMac is never gonna happen, unless the PM's get quad CPU's.
As for the 40Gb iPod, I don't see why not. Just as soon as Toshiba start making 40Gb versions of the HDD used at the moment (smaller than regular laptop HDD's) Apple may well scrap the 5Gb and move to 10, 20, and 30-40Gb options for those that want to use the iPod for lots of music and a high capacity FireWire HDD.
And thanks for the comment on my site, although I havn't done anything to it for ages and it has no real content yet either....but hey! The designs there.

Peace out!

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 04:38 PM
Hello Beez

Yes I could fill a 40gig iPod, otherwise I wouldn't need it. 8000 songs is not that much, and that is just at a bit rate of 128. Most of my stuff is encoded at 192, so that is gonna be less than 8000 songs. I own approx 550 albums, and would love to have them all on a portable device such as the iPod. Really, this is not such a strange idea, other similar consumer devices have 40 gig, but the iPod is a work of art, so a 40 gig iPod - why not?

As for the multiple posts, yeah sorry. You know how you suddenly remember something that you wanted to say when it's too late? Thats me. Won't do it again!!!

wrylachlan
Nov 7, 2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk

Cool, now your starting to talk sense. A dual CPU iMac is never gonna happen, unless the PM's get quad CPU's.

Considering how hosed apple has been by Motorola lately, I wouldn't bet against a DP iMac. If the iMac went DP, even at a significantly lower clock speed than the PowerMac, it would spur developers to write more and more multi-threaded applications. This in turn would allow apple some breathing room if their chip supplier isn't clocking them up fast enough. Once the majority of apps are optimized for SMP it becomes easy to add power by simply adding a processor.

As a side note, I'm betting that the alterior motive behind Intel's implementation of Hyperthreading is pretty much the same. They're moving their developer base towards multi-threading apps so that down the road they can sell more chips for SMP rigs.

medea
Nov 7, 2002, 05:17 PM
The iMac is not aimed towards pro users, so a Dual Processor one will doubtfully ever be released no matter how fast the processors get, DP is something that most people will never make use of so it would be a waste of money. Also we will doubtfully ever see USB2 in a mac simply because it sucks, we have firewire already and that is much faster and doesnt have the negative aspects of usb2.
And as far as your multiple posting, there is an edit option on your posts, if you forget to write something then just go back and edit it.

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 05:38 PM
And the iCoffee dispenser?

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
And the iCoffee dispenser?
Just when we were starting to get along you have to go back to the coffee thing, leave it alone.
As you correctly said this is a rumors site for discussing all things Apple (within reason), but an iCoffee is just going to get people p*ssed off, spamming the site with...well....spam.

thanetman
Nov 7, 2002, 05:54 PM
apologies for humour, will try to be more serious from now on.

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
apologies for humour, will try to be more serious from now on.
Hey man, I'm sorry if I'm coming across as an a$$, I appriciate a sence of humor and you will find alot of humor around the fourms.
It's just that in recent months there have been alot of people posting alot of spam to get their post count up (and get a 'tar in the process), it has now become quite frowned upon by the mods to waste time with totally pointless posts, all I'm doing is letting you know.

Again...Peace out! :)

beez7777
Nov 7, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
Hello Beez

Yes I could fill a 40gig iPod, otherwise I wouldn't need it. 8000 songs is not that much, and that is just at a bit rate of 128. Most of my stuff is encoded at 192, so that is gonna be less than 8000 songs. I own approx 550 albums, and would love to have them all on a portable device such as the iPod. Really, this is not such a strange idea, other similar consumer devices have 40 gig, but the iPod is a work of art, so a 40 gig iPod - why not?

As for the multiple posts, yeah sorry. You know how you suddenly remember something that you wanted to say when it's too late? Thats me. Won't do it again!!!

at first, a 40 gig iPod sounded like a lot, but the more i think about it the more it seems reasonable. although, i think a 30 gig might be a little more practical just because of the cost. i would think that the 10 gig would be the best selling of the current iPod line, because its a better deal(case, capacity, and remote) than the 5, and significantly cheaper than the $500 the 20 gig costs. anyone know for sure what the best selling is? anyway, dont worry about the multiple posting, just use the edit option from now on:)

buffsldr
Nov 7, 2002, 06:16 PM
once nice factor about the ipod is that it allows for easy management of the files you have on itunes. eg... simply sync by playlists. that would let you put 1000 songs on at a time on a 5 gig drive. with syncing occuring as fast as it does, you can trade which 1000 you have on at any given time with ease

daniel77
Nov 7, 2002, 06:47 PM
is it even physically possible to put two processors in the imacs desklamp base?

Mr Jobs
Nov 7, 2002, 06:57 PM
imac's may go dual..."when the Powermac's go dual 970"

PeteyKohut
Nov 7, 2002, 07:08 PM
When the iPods go to 40GB, they won't really cost anymore than the others. The real cost of those things is the polymer battery (which is an absolutely must). That's why the price is so high for the iPods. Though they are pricy for a music device, I still feel they are a helluva deal. I wish the iBook and the PBG4 would come out with polymer batteries

macphisto
Nov 7, 2002, 07:12 PM
It is nice to dream for the meantime. As you stated though, the iMac is a "silent runner." Throwing another processor in that puppy would sure make it heat up.

However, seeing Apple's running record on suprise tactics/software/and most importantly hardware, I would not doubt anything. Hey, we now have a slot-loading TiBook. Gravy!

:D

Sun Baked
Nov 7, 2002, 07:22 PM
You don't alway get what you want...

The iMac and eMac are neat enclosures, but really strained as to heat removal (probably would push them towards doom with dual CPUs).

Mr Jobs
Nov 7, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by macphisto
Hey, we now have a slot-loading TiBook. Gravy!

:D

correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure we always had a slotloading TiBook

edesignuk
Nov 7, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs


correct me if i'm wrong but i'm sure we always had a slotloading TiBook Nope, your not wrong; we've just never had a slot loading SuperDrive.

Mr Jobs
Nov 7, 2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Nope, your not wrong; we've just never had a slot loading SuperDrive.

well never mind a slot loading superdrive, we never even had a superdrive, in the TiBook that is

Mr Jobs
Nov 7, 2002, 08:02 PM
hey edesignuk, just realised ur from london aswell, dont know how i missed that before. i see u have a picture of Docklands on your site, you live around there?

iJon
Nov 7, 2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
I'd quite happily buy a PowerMac if it wasn't for the terrible fan noise - most of my work is with audio, the iMac is more of a 'silent runner'.
OK i have a couple of points to make. i have one of these new powermacs and i never saw what the huffing and puffing was about when it came to loudness. it was the same as any other computer i ever used. until i booted up into 9 and the fan moved at full rpm the whole time and sounded like a blow dryer in my computer. i read some forums and talked about my problems with other people. Apple has already approached this problem. when you boot up in 9, only 9 and not x the fans blow at full rpm constantly. it was a motherboard flaw. right when you buy it boot up in 9 and see if it does it. if it does take it to a authorized apple dealer tell them your applecare number, apple ships parts overnight unless they are on back order. next day people put it in, and your in business. so dont sweat the small stuff and stop wishing for these insane apple products.

iJon

shadowfax
Nov 7, 2002, 11:18 PM
not to be a mac hater at all, but i would be much more impressed by a 1.25 GHz iMac than a dual 933 MHz iMac, say. i mean, SMP makes it cool to have DP, and that is monster cool if you actually, you know, do more than one thing actively at a time, but then i don't really do that, and i don't know many non-professional users who do either. on the other hand, if i had a dual 1.25 GHz iMac, i could stand it upside down on it's 17 inch display, open up the base, fill it with oil, and fry fish or something. that would be pretty impressive. almost as impressive as, say, my new powerbook doing my laundry card, or even my bluetooth madule getting into the laundry cycle and not being destroyed.

If apple got into the fry-daddy market, i would definitely start eating out at those catfish joints in the South.

i'm sorry, i think i have been reading a little TOO MUCH as the apple turns... anyways, my real opinion is that a really fast, single processor is in my opinion better than 2 slow ones. i mean, would you use a quad processor 633 MHz powermac over a dual 1.25 GHZ powermac? doesn't it follow, then, that you'd take a single processor 2 GHz G4, were it offered? i think that would blatantly flame out a 3 GHz P4 a lot better than the doolies running onder the apple hood now.

just as a side comment, i am hitting on 200 posts and i still haven't spammed yet. i think you people (you know who you are) should play fair.
and i have successfully resisted the urge to spam out my next 7 messages to get there now!

thanetman
Nov 8, 2002, 06:20 AM
Spymac today say that the iMac's will be updated in January, but not too many details. One thing that is definite it seems is the introduction of a slot-loading CD mechanism, and a 1Ghtz processor.

www.spymac.com

UnixMac
Nov 8, 2002, 08:08 AM
What is it with some peoples obsession with fan noise?????? I have never owned a "serious" computer, ever since my IBM PC (back in 83) that didn't have a fan. Fans are needed to cool powerful computers! Lets move on now...

Mr Jobs
Nov 8, 2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by iJon

OK i have a couple of points to make. i have one of these new powermacs and i never saw what the huffing and puffing was about when it came to loudness. it was the same as any other computer i ever used. until i booted up into 9 and the fan moved at full rpm the whole time and sounded like a blow dryer in my computer. i read some forums and talked about my problems with other people. Apple has already approached this problem. when you boot up in 9, only 9 and not x the fans blow at full rpm constantly. it was a motherboard flaw. right when you buy it boot up in 9 and see if it does it. if it does take it to a authorized apple dealer tell them your applecare number, apple ships parts overnight unless they are on back order. next day people put it in, and your in business. so dont sweat the small stuff and stop wishing for these insane apple products.

iJon

thaks ijon didnt not know that but my problem is with more then just booting into 9 i get that blowdry (i call it airiplane) effect somethime even when booting in os x but not constantly, maybe for 10 to 15 seconds is that normal

edesignuk
Nov 8, 2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
hey edesignuk, just realised ur from london aswell, dont know how i missed that before. i see u have a picture of Docklands on your site, you live around there?
Sadly I don't live around there (FAR to expensive), but I do work there.

scem0
Nov 9, 2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by thanetman
... and the iMac is a Pro Machine... ... and we're all consumers...

The iMac is not a pro machine. It is a consumer computer.
And we are all consumers. But powermacs are meant for 'pro'
consumers. If you want dual processors, buy a powermac.
If you want a machine that operates OK, and will do basically
everything you want, then get an iMac.

Dual processors would get too hot anyways.

nigel_t
Nov 9, 2002, 04:27 PM
Two thing you will never see:

1. A dual Processor Imac

2. A hippo in a pink spotted hot pants

;) ;) ;)

UnixMac
Nov 9, 2002, 05:24 PM
The iMac is a home computer for the kids and the wife. The PowerMac G4's are the real work horese. If you want power, get a POWERmac.