PDA

View Full Version : Where do you use a second background (space) for?

ConscienceNL
Jul 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
I'm new to Mac OS X (just got my MBP a few days ago) and I really like the OS. The idea of full-screening an app or a browser is great, however I wonder where an extra background could be used for, since a full-screen app already uses a new "background". I don't have any programs or maps on the desktop (like on a Windows desktop) since the Dock offers more than enough space for that.

So, where do you guys use a second (or third, fourth etc.) background for? :)

Drew017
Jul 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm new to Mac OS X (just got my MBP a few days ago) and I really like the OS. The idea of full-screening an app or a browser is great, however I wonder where an extra background could be used for, since a full-screen app already uses a new "background". I don't have any programs or maps on the desktop (like on a Windows desktop) since the Dock offers more than enough space for that.

So, where do you guys use a second (or third, fourth etc.) background for? :)

I have 2 spaces, and I use #2 whenever I have a large window (such as Safari if it's not in full screen) in front, and I need to quickly open a few other apps/ windows. It's mainly to keep the windows from cluttering.

Krazy Bill
Jul 9, 2012, 12:51 PM
Desktop2: Apple Mail only
Desktop3: BusyCal only
Desktop4: Windows 7 (via Parallels)

A quick 3-finger swipe gets me to all the above.

Desktop1 is for everything else. I never use full screen apps which allows me to go to the desktop (via a hot corner) regardless of which space I'm in. (Never will understand Apple's implementation of Full screen windows).

Caromsoft
Jul 9, 2012, 07:56 PM
Desktop 1: Mac Mail and the mail Activity Monitor
Desktop 2: Safari and iChat
Desktop 3: FileMaker Pro Advanced
Desktop 4: Overflow and misc. like Pages, Paintbrush, etc.

I also have a second monitor so I really have 8 desktops! :)