PDA

View Full Version : Full Screen Applications Should Hide?

motorazr
Jul 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
I hope I'm not reposting an old thread here... but I did a quick search, so ..

Anyway... am I the only person that feels like it's almost a bug, that "command + H" no longer hides Safari or any other full-screen program? I've got a little 11" Air, so I do appreciate being able to make full use of my screen, but I really miss being able to use a subtle key command to hide all windows (vs. swiping over what could be multiple windows).

...And I didn't see anything return from a quick google search, but does anyone know of a way to enable things to hide? Or should I just not use them full-screen if I have a problem with it?

Krazy Bill
Jul 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
...And I didn't see anything return from a quick google search, but does anyone know of a way to enable things to hide? Or should I just not use them full-screen if I have a problem with it?You're better off not using apps in FS mode. I never do because they simply don't behave as expected (by me anyway).

Never understood why the simple process of hiding a menu/title bar of an application would cause new desktops to be created and the other annoying behaviors. (Like can't go to the desktop).

Mal
Jul 9, 2012, 01:37 PM
You're better off not using apps in FS mode. I never do because they simply don't behave as expected (by me anyway).

Never understood why the simple process of hiding a menu/title bar of an application would cause new desktops to be created and the other annoying behaviors. (Like can't go to the desktop).

Oh, so because you don't understand it, no one should use it?

I personally love full screen mode. I have a 13" MBP, and having Mail in full screen on it's own space with no menubar and minimal controls in the way is awesome.

Full screen isn't the best for every use and every application, but it's not useless or annoying, it's simply for a specific purpose.

OP, I find it's best to use the multi-touch gestures or keyboard commands to switch back to an empty main space if I need to access something on the desktop, instead of hiding the application I'm working in. Same essential result, but seems to work much more easily to me.

jW

Krazy Bill
Jul 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
Oh, so because you don't understand it, no one should use it?

Nope. Just you.

WSR
Jul 9, 2012, 03:10 PM
Isn't interesting that Apple introduced this "new feature" in Lion, and I don't think I have heard many defend it. Most either hate it, or don't use it.

Note, this is one of my Top 2 reasons for staying with Snow Leopard. Mission Control is the other.

matrix07
Jul 9, 2012, 03:57 PM
Isn't interesting that Apple introduced this "new feature" in Lion, and I don't think I have heard many defend it. Most either hate it, or don't use it.

Note, this is one of my Top 2 reasons for staying with Snow Leopard. Mission Control is the other.

What are you talking about? I'm using it a lot. I LOVE it. My movie collection app always stays full screen.

WSR
Jul 9, 2012, 04:40 PM
What are you talking about? I'm using it a lot. I LOVE it. My movie collection app always stays full screen.

I didn't say no one liked it, but I would ask are you saying you like Full-Screen mode in general or Lion's version of it.

My beef was with Lion's implementation of Full-Screen mode, not Full-Screen mode in general, and I meant that I hadn't heard much defense of Lion's version of Full-Screen mode. It is true that SL didn't have an officially sanctioned Full-Screen mode, but some apps, mostly video players, had an implementation of it.

I use Full-Screen mode in SL a lot also, but I want to be able to use my 2nd monitor to continue to do other things. True it would be nice to have the option to blank the other monitor when I'm focusing on a movie, but in Lion that's not an option it's a requirement. In SL, I quite often watch a video on 1 monitor in Full-Screen mode while surfing the web on the other.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear as to what exactly I was protesting in my previous post.

matrix07
Jul 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
I didn't say no one liked it, but I would ask are you saying you like Full-Screen mode in general or Lion's version of it.

My beef was with Lion's implementation of Full-Screen mode, not Full-Screen mode in general, and I meant that I hadn't heard much defense of Lion's version of Full-Screen mode. It is true that SL didn't have an officially sanctioned Full-Screen mode, but some apps, mostly video players, had an implementation of it.

I use Full-Screen mode in SL a lot also, but I want to be able to use my 2nd monitor to continue to do other things. True it would be nice to have the option to blank the other monitor when I'm focusing on a movie, but in Lion that's not an option it's a requirement. In SL, I quite often watch a video on 1 monitor in Full-Screen mode while surfing the web on the other.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear as to what exactly I was protesting in my previous post.

Lion fullscreen mode. Please keep in mind I'm coming from Windows to Lion, and I have 13" MBA which is quite small. Lion full screen mode is exactly what I want on the machine (I couldn't find a reason to use it on 27" iMac for example).
I love it creates another space for itself so I don't understand the OP problem. Just use four-fingers swipe to desktop and it will hide.
I have old fullscreen mode in VLC and I think it's confusing. Lion fullscreen is much simpler.

Support for multiple monitors might not be great but I don't have multiple monitors, and like I said I might not use it with a big monitor.