PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/09/evidence-of-apple-maps-for-os-x-shows-up-in-ios-6-beta/)

Technically Personal reports (http://techpp.com/2012/07/09/apple-maps-for-macs-ios-code-hints-at-that/) on some interesting code found in iOS 6 suggesting that Apple's new mapping solution may be making its way to OS X in some form. The evidence, discovered by developer Cody Cooper (http://www.codycooper.co.nz/), arrives by way of references to several older Intel graphics solutions for which map features such as shading are disabled.In this XML file, there is a reference to a set of Intel based graphics chipsets for which certain features like Shading are disabled.

Cody says that older Intel chipsets are known to not support shading very well, and that's probably why Apple wants to disable that feature on these Macs or will be software rendered.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_maps_intel_graphics.jpg

It is unclear exactly what form Apple's maps would take on the Mac and whether the references are simply for hooks into map-enabled apps on OS X or if there is some more significant mapping solution coming to the Mac.

Apple's new mapping system (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/apple-launches-new-maps-app-in-ios-6-includes-turn-by-turn-navigation-real-time-traffic-3d-maps/) is a key feature of iOS 6, enabling Apple to break free of the Google Maps relationship it has relied upon since the iPhone's launch in 2007. Apple's maps, developed in partnership with TomTom and other providers, will include integration of Siri with turn-by-turn directions, "Flyover" 3D-view imagery, and integration with Yelp for local search information.

Update: As several readers have noted, with the files being inside the iPhone simulator package, it is possible that the references are merely addressing functionality of the simulator to allow developer to test their apps without an actual device.

Article Link: Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/09/evidence-of-apple-maps-for-os-x-shows-up-in-ios-6-beta/)

rafaltrus
Jul 9, 2012, 10:12 AM
No.

Shrink
Jul 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
No.

Very interesting, thoughtful, and well explicated start for the discussion.:rolleyes:

needfx
We need a Judge's ruling of this being cool to register in our fragile little minds

slrandall
Makes sense. I can imagine something in iCloud where I look up directions on my computer, and by the time I'm in my car Siri is all ready to take me where I want to go.

KnightWRX
Jul 9, 2012, 10:20 AM
I uncovered a screenshot of Maps for OS X! :eek:

http://kelsocartography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/iphoto09_map.png

Oh wait, that's iPhoto '09. :rolleyes:

Peace
Jul 9, 2012, 10:21 AM
maps.apple.com

:)

Consultant
Jul 9, 2012, 10:22 AM
Makes sense. I can imagine something in iCloud where I look up directions on my computer, and by the time I'm in my car Siri is all ready to take me where I want to go.

Yeah that would be a good feature, however right now, just email yourself the address and click the link when you are on the iPhone. Very easy.

lifeinhd
Jul 9, 2012, 10:23 AM
Hm, would be neat if I could enter directions into Maps on the computer, then get in the car and the directions are on my iPhone.

EDIT: Beat to it. Nuts.

rafaltrus
Jul 9, 2012, 10:24 AM

First World Problems... :confused:

MonkeySee....
Jul 9, 2012, 10:29 AM
Its all got to link to iPhoto, find my phone etc, hasn't it?

ChristianJapan
Jul 9, 2012, 10:29 AM
no guys; that's a first hint on a new intel/OSX based tablet running to compete with MS Surface ... of course it would need MAPS. I'm not yet giving up on this dream.

JaviSoto
Jul 9, 2012, 10:35 AM
This could very well be for the iOS simulator... Remember it's not an EMULATOR, so it runs everything for an i386 platform, and it uses the Mac graphic card...

coolfactor
Jul 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
maps.apple.com

:)

Nice catch! Strange for that feature to have its own domain name.... that means something!

Sky Blue
Jul 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't be surprised to see some native Maps app in 10.9, along with some Siri integration. You could ask, " How long would it take me to get to..." on your Mac.

Allenbf
Jul 9, 2012, 10:38 AM
Makes sense to me, if you're going to have a Maps app on the iPhone/iPad, why not have the app for the Mac, too? No reason to look at Google Maps on the PC and then on the iPhone, too.

The 'cross-platform bit' with iPhoto would be awesome, as well.

Reason077
Jul 9, 2012, 10:38 AM
Umm, there's no big secret here folks:

Maps runs on OS X when it's running on the iOS Simulator.

Since it obviously uses 3D hardware pretty extensively, they're disabling/blacklisting some OpenGL features that don't work on the crappier desktop 3D chipsets.

GenesisST
Jul 9, 2012, 10:39 AM
Very interesting, thoughtful, and well explicated start for the discussion.:rolleyes:

Still much better than: "First!"...

kyjaotkb
Jul 9, 2012, 10:40 AM
probably going to nicely integrate with Contacts, Find my iPhone/Mac, iPhoto... And why not a few nice weather or traffic widgets (btw Dashboard widgets could use a little facelift).
Or a Safari-wide maps API that recognizes adresses and offers you directions from home from a simple right-click, from the comfort of you desktop? That and a neat iCloud sync and I think we have a nice-to-have feature.

Shrink
Jul 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

Well...barely.;):D

Allenbf
Jul 9, 2012, 10:42 AM
When this happens, I'm going to use Airplay to get Flyover on my 59" HDTV, and pretend I'm superman.

Kaibelf
Jul 9, 2012, 10:42 AM

That's like saying "I have tuberculosis, but at least it's not ebola."

afurry13
Jul 9, 2012, 10:46 AM
Would love to be able to get directions on my mac and push them to my iPhone before I hit the road. That would be a welcome feature.

hayesk
Jul 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
This could simply be for iOS Simulator use. You can now write helpers to maps, so you might need a way to test them in the simulator.

rmwebs
Jul 9, 2012, 10:54 AM
This could very well be for the iOS simulator... Remember it's not an EMULATOR, so it runs everything for an i386 platform, and it uses the Mac graphic card...

I hope so. Its bad enough that they are putting this on iOS, let alone OS X.

Howardchief
Jul 9, 2012, 10:57 AM
When this happens, I'm going to use Airplay to get Flyover on my 59" HDTV, and pretend I'm superman.

I laughed out loud. Hysterical haha

nagromme
Jul 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
If iOS 6 maps is as fast as Iíve heard (faster than Google Maps) then Iím sure Iíll want it on my Mac. I hope Apple gives it to me...

Iíll relegate Google to times when I want Street View or Transitówhich I will indeed still want.

Reason077
Jul 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
If iOS 6 maps is as fast as I’ve heard (faster than Google Maps) then I’m sure I’ll want it on my Mac. I hope Apple gives it to me...

Actually it's much slower than the Google Maps in iOS 5. Hybrid mode in particular is very slow, down to around 2 fps sometimes on my iPad 2 when panning or zooming. Map tiles also load noticeably slower, but that might just be because Apple haven't rolled out a lot of servers yet.

The maps are also very incomplete compared to Google Maps, and missing most features beyond the basic street layout. (coverage quality might depend on where you are. It's pretty bad here in London).

It's just a beta now, of course, Hopefully it'll improve a lot before iOS 6 is released.

RaggieSoft
Jul 9, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm one of those holdouts who will not be happy to lose in-map Transit Directions :(

What if one agency makes an app, but the neighboring agency does not? Currently, not a problem with Google Maps.

bse3
Jul 9, 2012, 11:12 AM
Probably for things like iPhoto that can display location related data.

lawrencecurtis
Jul 9, 2012, 11:16 AM
It's clearly for the iOS simulator, as when you develop UIMapView elements these would need to render....

Sorry

WhackyNinja
Jul 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
Maps for OS X? Hmm. I welcome this feature with open arms. Why? Well...it will just be interesting to see what Apple has in plans for this feature

powers74
Jul 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
No-brainer.

Its all got to link to iPhoto, find my phone etc, hasn't it?

Well, and this.

jonnysods
Jul 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
I have iOS6 with the new maps, I live in Canada and I have to say it's not great. I had to look for a camp ground today, maps put me in the wrong spot, and it took my mate with iOS5 and using his Google Maps app to find it correctly.

I know that it's early days yet, but this is not as mature as google.

thelink
Jul 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
I find this article quite trivial... If apple was to add their maps to OS X then it would rid the point of google maps. However, I believe that if they decide to add their own set of maps to the system itself then it could be extraordinarily useful. I would forgo using google maps for Apple maps if the chance came but I don't see it coming. If only google would make a map solution to somehow counteract the use of apple on their own system.... things would be incredibly complex. I believe they would need some kind of secret recipe though. I hope they can. Please Apple. For me. For us.

:apple: for life

----------

I find this article quite trivial... If apple was to add their maps to OS X then it would rid the point of google maps. However, I believe that if they decide to add their own set of maps to the system itself then it could be extraordinarily useful. I would forgo using google maps for Apple maps if the chance came but I don't see it coming. If only google would make a map solution to somehow counteract the use of apple on their own system.... things would be incredibly complex. I believe they would need some kind of secret recipe though. I hope they can. Please Apple. For me. For us.

:apple: for life

Oh my goodness. Someone needs to get this guys phone number or something! He's a genius!!! I'd hire him in a second!
:apple: for life bro... :apple: for life. :)

Dan--
Jul 9, 2012, 11:34 AM
That image http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_maps_intel_graphics.jpg shows Intel HD Graphics being blacklisted.

As in - even blacklisting even modern current day integrated graphics (HD 4000) - i.e. the only GPU available in the new 13" MBP?

Should that really be necessary?

thelink
Jul 9, 2012, 11:38 AM
That image Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_maps_intel_graphics.jpg) shows Intel HD Graphics being blacklisted.

As in - even blacklisting even modern current day integrated graphics (HD 4000) - i.e. the only GPU available in the new 13" MBP?

Should that really be necessary?

Fail bro. What you said doesn't even make sense.

Dan--
Jul 9, 2012, 11:45 AM
Fail bro. What you said doesn't even make sense.

I'll see if I can explain it better for you.
The line: <blacklist category="hardware" fallback="shaderclipping">Intel(R) HD Graphics<blacklist>
likely means that even Intel's newer HD Graphics solutions are not considered strong enough for the needed shader support, and need to be "blacklisted" from this feature of the maps.

thelink
Jul 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
I'll see if I can explain it better for you.
The line: <blacklist category="hardware" fallback="shaderclipping">Intel(R) HD Graphics<blacklist>
likely means that even Intel's newer HD Graphics solutions are not considered strong enough for the needed shader support, and need to be "blacklisted" from this feature of the maps.

Makes sense now. Thanks :)

UKBeast
Jul 9, 2012, 11:58 AM
Maybe it will not be supported for macs before 2012 and it will require a mountain lion to work. :D

Anonymous Freak
Jul 9, 2012, 12:01 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/09/evidence-of-apple-maps-for-os-x-shows-up-in-ios-6-beta/)

Update: As several readers have noted, with the files being inside the iPhone simulator package, it is possible that the references are merely addressing functionality of the simulator to allow developer to test their apps without an actual device.

Article Link: Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/09/evidence-of-apple-maps-for-os-x-shows-up-in-ios-6-beta/)

Not to mention, Mountain Lion won't run on 945GM chipset...

theSeb
Jul 9, 2012, 12:07 PM
Cody didn't read the confidentiality agreement.

Mad-B-One
Jul 9, 2012, 12:15 PM
First World Problems... :confused:

If you expect to discuss the solution to hunger in Africa here, you are misguided.

Anyways: I thought that this will come to the New Ipad only but then I read this on the iOS preview page and that made me very happy:

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later.

iPad 2 upgrading to New iPad was not really my goal since beside the screen, there is no real advantage. iPad 2's screen is still sufficient for me. So, bring on the new maps! :)

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 9, 2012, 12:26 PM
Nice catch! Strange for that feature to have its own domain name.... that means something!
1. maps.apple.com is not a domain, it is a sub-domain.
2. Apple Maps on (Mac) OS X makes no sense without 3G/4G data connections and without (A-)GPS. And that is exactly the situation.

djtech42
Jul 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
With Flyover, it could be a competitor to Google Earth on the Mac as an exploration app. Flyover seems to have better textures and looks a lot better.

It could also have a simpler interface for getting directions because Apple is the best at making beautiful and easy to use interfaces. I'm sure people would love to have a native app on their computer to get directions instead of having to go into the browser and use the slow online interface.

Also, with iCloud integration, it would make the process of getting directions a lot easier. Like people have already mentioned, get directions on your Mac, and they are already ready for you on your phone.

I think it is a good idea because it would be cool enough to explore the world in 3D with better textures and faster software than Google Earth.

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 9, 2012, 12:37 PM
That image Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/os_x_maps_intel_graphics.jpg) shows Intel HD Graphics being blacklisted. As in - even blacklisting even modern current day integrated graphics (HD 4000) - i.e. the only GPU available in the new 13" MBP?
Intel HD Graphics is not Intel HD Graphics 3000 or Intel HD Graphics 4000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

KnightWRX
Jul 9, 2012, 01:00 PM
Intel HD Graphics is not Intel HD Graphics 3000 or Intel HD Graphics 4000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics

Your link says otherwise :confused:

In January 2011, the Sandy Bridge processors were released introducing the "second generation" HD Graphics:

HD Graphics 2000 (6 execution units)
HD Graphics 3000 (12 execution units)

On April 24, 2012, the Ivy Bridge was released introducing the "third generation" HD Graphics:[1]

HD Graphics 2500 (6 execution units)
HD Graphics 4000 (16 execution units)

pubb
Jul 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
FYI: Apple has come out with a line of portable computers. Portable as in might need directions to get from here to there. Just saying.

P

macnerd93
Jul 9, 2012, 01:10 PM
Actually it's much slower than the Google Maps in iOS 5. Hybrid mode in particular is very slow, down to around 2 fps sometimes on my iPad 2 when panning or zooming. Map tiles also load noticeably slower, but that might just be because Apple haven't rolled out a lot of servers yet.

The maps are also very incomplete compared to Google Maps, and missing most features beyond the basic street layout. (coverage quality might depend on where you are. It's pretty bad here in London).

It's just a beta now, of course, Hopefully it'll improve a lot before iOS 6 is released.

For me once the 3D mode has fully loaded up its perfectly smooth on my 4S and iPad no issue in terms of lag nice and fluid just takes a few seconds to fully load. Only a few places are 3D. So far i've found San Fran, Sydney and Chicago. Its only gonna keep getting better, I can imagine in time everywhere will be pretty much 3D. Well whats relevant to be in 3D.

The thing confusing me is the fact that they've added the motorway names in Green. Only A roads and are written with green signage in the UK. Our motorway signage is blue and looks kinda confusing from a distance. Sure it'll be addressed in final release.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7271/7519337786_1634f3b7c9_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macmad/7519337786/)
iOS 6 on iPhone 4S &amp; iPad 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macmad/7519337786/) by Ryan J. Nicholson (http://www.flickr.com/people/macmad/), on Flickr

mrbyu
Jul 9, 2012, 01:28 PM
Maps, Siri, iBooks for OS X, please!

It's so sad that our powerful desktop OS does not have some pretty good features/programs which are present on iOS.

Oh and please, just don't use "Forstall's leather" for the graphical interface! :p

miniroll32
Jul 9, 2012, 01:56 PM
Maps and iBooks would certainly be welcome additions to OS X. In particular, the latter would be nice because although PDF reading is great with Preview, you don't have a personalised library per sť. If I had a bookshelf like in iBooks where I could view all my PDF's easier, then University research would have been a bit more interesting!

Mr. Retrofire
Jul 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
Your link says otherwise :confused:
You should read the article:

In January 2010, the Clarkdale and Arrandale processors were released with HD Graphics, and branded as Celeron, Pentium, or Core.

In January 2011, the Sandy Bridge processors were released introducing the "second generation" HD Graphics:

HD Graphics 2000 (6 execution units)
HD Graphics 3000 (12 execution units)

On April 24, 2012, the Ivy Bridge was released introducing the "third generation" HD Graphics:[1]

HD Graphics 2500 (6 execution units)
HD Graphics 4000 (16 execution units)

So the only excluded architectures are Clarkdale and Arrandale.

FoxMcCloud
Jul 9, 2012, 02:14 PM
Bing Maps app on Windows 8 is pretty awesome so I expect nothing less than an equivalent on Mac OSX.

goMac
Jul 9, 2012, 04:04 PM
The iOS simulator doesn't support the Mac's GPU, last I checked, so this likely doesn't have much to do with the simulator.

mex4eric
Jul 9, 2012, 05:43 PM
Could be good for Contacts and iPhoto locations, but also as a stand alone app.

justperry
Jul 9, 2012, 10:55 PM
The thing confusing me is the fact that they've added the motorway names in Green. Only A roads and are written with green signage in the UK. Our motorway signage is blue and looks kinda confusing from a distance. Sure it'll be addressed in final release.

Yup, typical (US)Apple centered ignorance.;)

I am pretty sure most of Europe the signs are blue, it wouldn't be to hard to change the colors.
Most of their IOS Gadgets are sold outside of the states and as I said before Apple should act more like an international company but over and over again they neglect that fact.(Example - Siri)

Reason077
Jul 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
For me once the 3D mode has fully loaded up its perfectly smooth on my 4S and iPad no issue in terms of lag nice and fluid just takes a few seconds to fully load.

It's fine in the pure satellite view mode (including the cities that are in 3D). But put it in hybrid mode, in a big city like London, and it slows to a crawl (at least on the iPad 2). Map mode isn't so bad, but its still noticeably slower than the classic Maps app.

Only a few places are 3D. So far i've found San Fran, Sydney and Chicago.

AFAIK, the full list of cities that support 3D in the current beta is:

San Francisco
Cupertino
Los Angeles
Chicago
Montreal
Sydney

Its only gonna keep getting better, I can imagine in time everywhere will be pretty much 3D. Well whats relevant to be in 3D.

The 3D feature is a bit like those augmented reality apps. It certainly looks cool and it's fun to play with, but I don't know how useful it'll actually be. Are you going to pull out your iPhone and go to 3D mode to find your way to a restaurant or a train station? I think for most users the basic maps are more important to get right, and Apple still have a lot of work to do on this front.

Anonymous Freak
Jul 10, 2012, 03:48 PM
1. maps.apple.com is not a domain, it is a sub-domain.
2. Apple Maps on (Mac) OS X makes no sense without 3G/4G data connections and without (A-)GPS. And that is exactly the situation.

Apple Maps as a dedicated app, correct.

However Apple Maps API... iPhoto already uses a map service, and other apps do, too. Having a quality one built-in to the OS available for any app that wants to draw a map is great.