Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Do you have any idea?

Making a comparison with the release of Lion's GM last year and Lion official release: How much would take to have an official release of Mountain Lion?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Looks into a crystal ball, it's telling me to "try again later".

There are also multiple threads already on this topic, right now only Apple knows the exact date. Sit tight, I promise you it'll be out on or before July 31st.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
no one has any idea. As stated above it will be before the end of the month. ML GM was released today which means apple have pretty much finished development so its not going to be long now.

bbchick

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Does this mean that probably by the end of the month Apple Stores will have ML macbooks for sale?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Does this mean that probably by the end of the month Apple Stores will have ML macbooks for sale?

I get the feeling it'll take a little longer to actually see hardware with ML pre-installed. In the past, they'd drop in an upgrade DVD, but with the MAS, theres no way to do this.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I get the feeling it'll take a little longer to actually see hardware with ML pre-installed. In the past, they'd drop in an upgrade DVD, but with the MAS, theres no way to do this.
Now of course the update will be through the App Store.

At some point Apple will switch the factory over to installing Mountain Lion on the systems. However, if you get a unit in a store, you may still get Lion if it's older stock.

Once you know Apple has switched over to Mountain Lion on the MacBooks, order a BTO unit if you want it guaranteed to be installed.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

They'll have ML on all their display models but it was around 3-4 weeks before computers are coming preconfigured with Mountain Lion. And even then this was only BTO orders or those coming straight from China. I would imagine it will be the same wait for Apple Store stock to change to ML installed. For 3rd party sellers, I've seen it be a few months.

However, assuming we see the iMac refreshed with Mountain Lion, then yes these will ship with Mountain Lion preconfigured.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
USB Key's just as effective.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011

Now of course the update will be through the App Store.

At some point Apple will switch the factory over to installing Mountain Lion on the systems. However, if you get a unit in a store, you may still get Lion if it's older stock.

Once you know Apple has switched over to Mountain Lion on the MacBooks, order a BTO unit if you want it guaranteed to be installed.

They'll have ML on all their display models but it was around 3-4 weeks before computers are coming preconfigured with Mountain Lion. And even then this was only BTO orders or those coming straight from China. I would imagine it will be the same wait for Apple Store stock to change to ML installed. For 3rd party sellers, I've seen it be a few months.

However, assuming we see the iMac refreshed with Mountain Lion, then yes these will ship with Mountain Lion preconfigured.

USB Key's just as effective.

And yet not going to happen, because of the MAS.

Let's address the issue for everyone here. As of June 11th (The first day of WWDC) Anyone who purchases an Apple computer will get mountain lion free of charge thru the Mac App Store (This was mentioned at WWDC). How they will distribute this my guess is in the form of a promo code specifically for Mountain Lion. It's not much trouble to upgrade the OS on your own.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Let's address the issue for everyone here. As of June 11th (The first day of WWDC) Anyone who purchases an Apple computer will get mountain lion free of charge thru the Mac App Store (This was mentioned at WWDC). How they will distribute this my guess is in the form of a promo code specifically for Mountain Lion. It's not much trouble to upgrade the OS on your own.

Thanks for completely disregarding the question (when ML will ship on hardware).

Last edited:

parlour

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for completely disregarding the question (when ML will ship on hardware).

What? Who cares about that? It’s completely irrelevant when the hardware you buy online or in Apple Stores comes with Mountain Lion pre-installed. You will get Mountain Lion either way, free of charge. Whether your Mac already comes with Mountain Lion pre-installed or not. You just always get it.

I mean, that’s the interesting part, right? It not like installing Mountain Lion is hard. You click download, install, done.

That’s how the rollout will work. Everyone who buys a Mac now gets Mountain Lion for free over the App Store, at some point (probably during August) all new Macs that are ship will just come with Mountain Lion pre-installed. The date is irrelevant since this is consequence free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.