Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I've looked at a couple at Best Buy. Had a friend try and copy a VHS to a DVD, but it did not work. He used DVD-R media, so I don't know what happened. I have a Formac Bridge and have done the process thorugh FW and captured on to my HD with FCPHD, but this piece of hardware seems like it could reduce time if the quality is good. Anyone using this with success, or is it just another hype?
Thanks,
X

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
The problem with these machines is that the VCR portion of the machine is usually pretty cheap -- lowering the overall quality.

There are many ways to go, of course. I use two methods: VCR to ADVC-100 to Mac -- then edit the resulting digital file -- then to DVD.

A faster method which has resulted in good results: VCR to Toshiba DVD recorder. The Toshiba DVD recorder allows me to vary the bit rate resulting in better quality for files under 2 hours, lesser quality for material slightly over two hours, and even better quality for longer files where I split the file onto two DVDs.

I think the key to the whole process in the quality of video coming from the source -- not necessarily the bridge or end. If you are getting ugly video from the VCR there is absolutely nothing you can do to improve things. Good clean images from old video tapes and old players is rare.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
If you can afford one, and you have the space, the set-top DVD recorders are really the best solution. I started transfering my old VHS tapes into my Mac, editing in iMovie and burning in iDVD. As you know, this is a long process. I've done about 6 tapes but I have about 20 more to go. Now I'm waiting to buy a DVD recorder.

The DVD recorders with HD allow for some basic editing too. There are much cheaper units but these will not contain a HD and I think will only provide a one-for-one copy.

Check http://ww.avsforum.com for good discussions on DVD recorders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.