PDA

View Full Version : Visibly different freeware fonts show as duplicates?

nobodyhome
Jul 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
I don't know much about fonts, Font Book, or how the OS recognizes and uses fonts; but from what I can gather when the author/creator of the fonts made them they half-a**ed the post script information or whatever information the system uses to sort fonts.

Even though the fonts are all visibly different the system thinks they're all the same "new" font. It determines them duplicates and disables all, but one.

If I want to use them it seems like I have to temporarily enable them every time a start my computer.

Is there a way to change the way the system handles these "duplicate" fonts? Force it to leave them enabled? Or, preferably, change the Post Script information so I can actually use these freeware fonts? (I'd prefer a free way to change information...)

The person who created the fonts are long since inactive on the Internet so I can't contact them.

I know my problem can be easily solved by avoiding these fonts, but there are some really good ones perfect for my projects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nobodyhome
Jul 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
I don't know if anybody out there has the same issue or is following this, but I think I found a workaround.

I experimented with some online font converters and discovered that converting the fonts to another format (I chose dfont) that they began working.

This was actually a hit or miss thing since a couple still came up as duplicate fonts or a few were determined to be "corrupt" by the site.

Still would appreciate some advice. Thanks to anybody who looks.