Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
I've just wiped all my systems and reinstalled Jag. Over the past few days I've been trying to download Folding Control so I can get Folding@Home going again, but the server seems to be down
http://macaddict4life.dhs.org/fold_download/Folding_Control_0.9x.dmg.gz

I've tried to find a mirror somewhere, but I can't. If anyone can help me out that would be great.

I was using the CLI version which was great, but every now and then I'd get a unit the would take days and days for only a few points... I want to use Folding Control so I can keep track of how far though a unit I am. The CLI version seems to randomly give an indicaiton as to how far though it is on start up... does anyone know how to make it tell me every time? If that's possible I guess I don't need Folding Control...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
folding control doesn't work w/jaguar

if you use the v3 CLI binary, it stores all info in your ~/Library/Folding@home directory

within the above directory there is a folder called work. within work there should be a file called logfile_0#.txt (where # is a sequential arbitrary number). at the bottom of this file you will find what frame you are currently on (out of 100).

it may sound complicated but it really isn't. You can make a link to the work folder and this file will be there for you to check every time. Another alternative is the graphical client (which should always be hidden for max CPU). the graphical client's info is stored in the same place as the CLI version.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll just make a script that shows me how many frames out of 100 I've done each time I open folding. Thanks :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Beej
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I'll just make a script that shows me how many frames out of 100 I've done each time I open folding. Thanks :)
Cool, I cut my in-depth explanation short. Seems like you're a power-nerd too. :)

If you run the binary as a background root process, you can quit out of the terminal app. Otherwise, you have to keep the current terminal session open.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by mc68k
Cool, I cut my in-depth explanation short. Seems like you're a power-nerd too. :)

If you run the binary as a background root process, you can quit out of the terminal app. Otherwise, you have to keep the current terminal session open.
Hmmm, I'm not quite sure on the power-nerd status :) I know enough to write that script I was talking about, but I'm not sure how to run a process as a background root process as you suggested. Any tips? You can cut your usual in-depth explaination short for this one, too ;)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
basically you make a folder, where the only item in it is the binary

make sure that it's executable. type in su, then enter the root password. the prompt should change with a # sign instead of a %.

navigate to the folder with the binary in it and excecute it with:
Code:
./OSX-3.12 -local
Once the setup is finished and the text stops scrolling, do a ctrl-c to stop it. Then type in:
Code:
./OSX-3.12 -local &
You can now hit enter and get your prompt back, while it's still running in the background as root.

type cmd-d to send an EOF signal to the root shell to quit out of it and your # should be a % again.

for good measure you can renice the priority of the core if you want, for better performance.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i forgot to say that this process will run unless you kill it or restart/shutdown. folding takes up idle CPU % so all should feel well performance-wise. you can even log in as other users, or log out completely, and folding will still run.

btw i'm jealous of your SMG sex-toy status. *cough* lucky bastard ;)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Great, thanks for your help. Now I can get back into some serious F@H crunching.

As for the SMG thing... it's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.