PDA

View Full Version : Apple's 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro to Launch 'Before October'?

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2012, 11:21 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/apples-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-to-launch-before-october/)

Just before last month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo correctly predicted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-to-introduce-third-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/) that Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display would appear alongside the standard MacBook Pro instead of as a direct replacement, also accurately claiming that only the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro would be making an appearance while a 13-inch model remained in the works.

At the time, Kuo believed that Apple could have the 13-inch version ready by August, but in the wake of WWDC he revised his predictions (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-coming-in-october/) to indicate that Apple would begin ramping production in September for a launch in October.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kuo_retina_2012_2013_predictions.jpg

Kuo's post-WWDC predictions for Apple's 2012 and 2013 MacBook lineups
Digitimes now reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120710PD204.html) that while Apple has been included among other PC vendors amid rumors of delayed or decreased shipments, the company's plans for the Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro are in fact on track and may even see a debut "before October" in order to address the back to school market.As for Apple, the sources pointed out that Apple has demanded its upstream partners start supplying components for the 13-inch model in the third quarter and they have not yet heard anything about changing of schedule. As for when the product will launch, the sources believe the new MacBook Pro will have a chance to launch before October to catch up with the back-to-school season.

Apple also did not reduce its shipment forecast for 2012 and is still expecting its notebook shipments to grow 30% on year, the sources pointed out.After a relatively slow start to 2012 as Apple awaited the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge processors, the company appears to be setting itself up for a busy second half of the year. Even after a strong upgrade to its MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines at WWDC, Apple still has plenty of products apparently still in the pipeline, including a new iPhone expected later this year, rumors of an "iPad mini", 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro models, and an update to the iMac line.

Article Link: Apple's 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro to Launch 'Before October'? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/apples-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-to-launch-before-october/)

mrfrosty
Jul 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/apples-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-to-launch-before-october/)

Just before last month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo correctly predicted (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/apple-to-introduce-third-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/) that Apple's MacBook Pro with Retina display would appear alongside the standard MacBook Pro instead of as a direct replacement, also accurately claiming that only the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro would be making an appearance while a 13-inch model remained in the works.

At the time, Kuo believed that Apple could have the 13-inch version ready by August, but in the wake of WWDC he revised his predictions (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/15/13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-coming-in-october/) to indicate that Apple would begin ramping production in September for a launch in October.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/kuo_retina_2012_2013_predictions.jpg)

Kuo's post-WWDC predictions for Apple's 2012 and 2013 MacBook lineups
Digitimes now reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120710PD204.html) that while Apple has been included among other PC vendors amid rumors of delayed or decreased shipments, the company's plans for the Retina 13-inch MacBook Pro are in fact on track and may even see a debut "before October" in order to address the back to school market.After a relatively slow start to 2012 as Apple awaited the launch of Intel's Ivy Bridge processors, the company appears to be setting itself up for a busy second half of the year. Even after a strong upgrade to its MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines at WWDC, Apple still has plenty of products apparently still in the pipeline, including a new iPhone expected later this year, rumors of an "iPad mini", 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro models, and an update to the iMac line.

Article Link: Apple's 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro to Launch 'Before October'? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/apples-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-to-launch-before-october/)

I have nothing to add

rafaltrus
Jul 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
As much as I would love a RD on my MacBook Pro, it is an Early 2011 model so unless there would be some significant changes, I don't see myself selling the current laptop and getting the new MBPR-13".

toshmac
Jul 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
think it'll be a quiet intro to the store?

Ironduke
Jul 10, 2012, 11:25 AM
thing is this Nvidia 650 cant power the screen good enough

apolloa
Jul 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
When I see the name Digitimes I just know Mac Rumors is only postng the story for website hits....

Roessnakhan
Jul 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
think it'll be a quiet intro to the store?

Probably. Well, I'm sure there'll be something on the homepage, but definitely not a keynote for it (unless its a quick mention in the iPod/iPhone keynote).

Allenbf
Jul 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'd not believe this if it weren't for the stellar reporting of DigiTimes. Those guys never miss.

:confused:

DTF
Jul 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
October?? Not exactly catching the back to school buying season.

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
After seeing the 15" rMBP, I'd rather save some money and get an even smaller foot print on a machine that is just a hair heavier than an Air but much more powerful.

The real question will be whether or not the GPU can handle Retina, since the 15" rMBP's chip is getting taxed by it?

Ironduke
Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
so if the Nvidia 650 cant pull 30fps on OSX animations what chance has intels 4000 gpu?

modular
Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
its rumored that the 13" retina pro will be powered by the HD 4000 only.

the single thing that should distinguish macbook pros from the Air is discrete graphics cards. If the 13" retina pro doesnt have a discrete graphics card it shouldnt be labeled pro. Same thing with the current line of pros - that 13" should be able to fit a graphics card no problem I don't see why apple is only putting it in the 15".

personally, I think the retina display (while beautiful for optimized apps), is ultimately a fail and a distraction.

Cougarcat
Jul 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
Digitimes and a random analyst...page 2 material at best.

GREEN4U
Jul 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
October is too late for me. I need one for school now.

How much do you guys think it'll weigh? I'm guessing 3.9 lbs, which is kinda heavy.

carmenodie
Jul 10, 2012, 11:35 AM
I just got the latest 2011 Air with the 13 inch screen. It is plenty computer for me. The resolution Is 1440 by 900. That is insane. My old school 17 inch g3 iMac with the stainless steel swivel neck has the same resolution.

applefanDrew
Jul 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
personally, I think the retina display (while beautiful for optimized apps), is ultimately a fail and a distraction.

Probably the most ignorant thing I've read concerning Apple ever.

adildacoolset
Jul 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Digitimes with another rumour that a device will be updated shortly after a refrsh. What makes me believe them?

applefanDrew
Jul 10, 2012, 11:37 AM

How much do you guys think it'll weigh? I'm guessing 3.9 lbs, which is kinda heavy.

If you do the ratios with the 15s, the 13 should be 3.3 pounds.

njean777
If it only has the integrated card you will be looking at a very sub-par product. If it has a dedicated card then maybe they can pull it off.

Navdakilla
It will be interesting to see how they will power all this. Me thinks a dedicated GPU will be needed :D

mohsy90
Jul 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
For those of you wondering....before October = August or September

NewbieCanada
Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 AM

My thoughts exactly. Needs to be announced early August to make the cut

yanksrock100
Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
This would be great! However it's digitimes....so I believe the October rumor more....

mohsy90
Jul 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
It will be interesting to see how they will power all this. Me thinks a dedicated GPU will be needed :D

It will interesting to see how they will power the dedicated GPU, smaller size means smaller battery compared to the 15". I wonder how they will still be able to keep it at a ~7 hour battery life.

nuckinfutz
Jul 10, 2012, 11:46 AM
At this point I'd rather just wait the 6 months for Haswell based models. That is unless I really had to grab a new computer and couldn't wait.

Allenbf
Jul 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
For those of you wondering....before October = August or September

"At the time, Kuo believed that Apple could have the 13-inch version ready by August, but in the wake of WWDC he revised his predictions to indicate that Apple would begin ramping production in September for a launch in October."

If they're aiming for the before school crowd, they're going to miss it by a couple of months...

I've no doubt they'll update to the Retina, of course. But at this rate, Apple is announcing the iPhone 5, iTV, the Mini, and the 13" MB Pro w/ Retina display by October. Oh, and the iMac lineup, too.

I love rumors. Apple did say they expect an "exciting" September, right? :D

applefanDrew
Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
"At the time, Kuo believed that Apple could have the 13-inch version ready by August, but in the wake of WWDC he revised his predictions to indicate that Apple would begin ramping production in September for a launch in October."

If they're aiming for the before school crowd, they're going to miss it by a couple of months...

I've no doubt they'll update to the Retina, of course. But at this rate, Apple is announcing the iPhone 5, iTV, the Mini, and the 13" MB Pro w/ Retina display by October. Oh, and the iMac lineup, too.

You can forget the iTV this year. And mini won't be announced, just updated. New iPhone, iPad Mini, and a brief mention of 13 rMBP at October event.

Metal Dice
Jul 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
This would be great! However it's digitimes....so I believe the October rumor more....

I'm pretty sure the October rumor was created by Digitimes.

mohsy90
Jul 10, 2012, 11:54 AM

Yup, October is way too late. Many college kids needing a laptop will most likely purchase it in August-Early September. I guess Apple is just try to benefit as much as possible by trying to release it within the beginning of the school year to hopefully get as many buyers as they can. October will be late but will definitely get more demand in October than in Early 2013.

KdParker
Jul 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
:)Better order early when released.

Before wait time becomes one month

briansolomon

They've never been one to release new models for back to school.

mohsy90
I'm pretty sure the October rumor was created by Digitimes.

Actually no, it was by the KGI securities analyst who basically was spot on regarding the 15" release and expected the 13" to be delayed. He stated that Apple is likely to release 13" later in the year, the earliest being August but expect it by October.

I think just about every mac site referenced him....not just digitimes.

terraphantm
Jul 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
They've never been one to release new models for back to school.

+1... if anything, they always used the back to school promotions to clear out old inventory

mohsy90
Jul 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
+1... if anything, they always used the back to school promotions to clear out old inventory

Seeing the 13" MBP were just upgraded (speed bump) and will likely stay on the MBP line.....not really any "old" inventory to get rid of. But that was definitely the case last year.

roland.g
Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Having just got a 13" MBA for grad school, but briefly toying with the idea of the 15" Retina, my initial reaction to the Oct or now sooner 13" Retina is bummer, I'd do that. However, while my concerns of weight 2.96 vs 4.46 would be reduced as the 13" MBPr would surely be 3.5-3.75 lbs and I like the 13" form factor better, I think there are several advantages to being "stuck" with my MBA.

1. While price is certain to be closer than the 15" the Air is more cost effective.

2. I have a 2011 27" quad core iMac for power when I need it, and a TB cable for extended display on my Air.

3. Retina is still in its early adopter phase and Apps, web images, and GPUs aren't really ready for it. Evidenced especially by scroll lag, I imagine this could be more troublesome on a smaller unit.

4. Will the 13" maintain the 7 hour battery that the Air and 15" Retina have with its demand for screen power, quad core CPU, and smaller body or will we see a similar drop off like the 11" MBA…

LYFK
Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'd love to believe that a 13" rMBP is coming sooner rather than later. But really, I believe the MBA is a more refined experience relative to it's design cycle and way more worth the price of admission (despite being less exciting).

Maybe next year.

mohsy90
Jul 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
Having just got a 13" MBA for grad school, but briefly toying with the idea of the 15" Retina, my initial reaction to the Oct or now sooner 13" Retina is bummer, I'd do that. However, while my concerns of weight 2.96 vs 4.46 would be reduced as the 13" MBPr would surely be 3.5-3.75 lbs and I like the 13" form factor better, I think there are several advantages to being "stuck" with my MBA.

1. While price is certain to be closer than the 15" the Air is more cost effective.

2. I have a 2011 27" quad core iMac for power when I need it, and a TB cable for extended display on my Air.

3. Retina is still in its early adopter phase and Apps, web images, and GPUs aren't really ready for it. Evidenced especially by scroll lag, I imagine this could be more troublesome on a smaller unit.

4. Will the 13" maintain the 7 hour battery that the Air and 15" Retina have with its demand for screen power, quad core CPU, and smaller body or will we see a similar drop off like the 11" MBA…

I would assume that #3 will be addressed by ML and I don't know how, but Apple will somehow find a way to retain the ~7 hr battery life.

kobyh15
Jul 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'll believe this when I see it. If true, it's going to piss off a bunch of people who bought any of the 13" MacBooks for back-to-school. Not because everyone of those that bought a 13" MBA or MBP would have bought the new 13" rMBP, but it would have been nice to have had the opportunity to do so if they so chose.

Hakone
Jul 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
Is Apple's new strategy to choke the retina screen supply chain?

:)

ikir
Jul 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
I would sell my soul for a retina 13" with a dedicated gfx card.

Anyway the new MacBook Air 13" is an awesome machine, super fast, light and with a great display!

JarScott
Jul 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Meh. It'd still be massively unaffordable.

mex4eric
Jul 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Apple already has a good lap top line-up for back-to-school. So, I would agree October is good, to capture a few late buyers and the non-school crowd. An rMBP 13" fills the line up and prepares for the future of SSD, DVD-free, hi-res laptops.

Don't know about the integrated graphics versus dedicated graphics, but I am sure Apple does know. The 13" will have fewer pixels to push and the 4000 is faster than the 3000, maybe good enough.

flipnap
Jul 10, 2012, 12:39 PM

what if your doorbell rang tomorrow, you answered it and nobody was there.. just an unmarked box.. and inside was a retina 13" with the purchase order of "666" on it..

youd be in big trouble buddy...

kustardking
Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
its rumored that the 13" retina pro will be powered by the hd 4000 only.

The single thing that should distinguish macbook pros from the air is discrete graphics cards. If the 13" retina pro doesnt have a discrete graphics card it shouldnt be labeled pro. Same thing with the current line of pros - that 13" should be able to fit a graphics card no problem i don't see why apple is only putting it in the 15".

+1

personally, i think the retina display (while beautiful for optimized apps), is ultimately a fail and a distraction.

----------

I really want an Retina Macbook Pro, but am (unhappily) waiting until 802.11ac is included.

hobo.hopkins
Jul 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'd sure as hell buy one. I've been waiting for a MacBook air with a little more power; this would be it. I'm not holding my breath for it so soon, though.

Rocketman
Jul 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
My next Mac purchase will be winter 2012 and this is good news that the choices will be pretty good. I may go for my first iMac since it is likely to be as fast as a 2 year in arrears Pro and have more add-on capacity than a laptop.

I may also get a 13" retina pro if they don't get rid of the main external add-on features I need.

The current model 13 and 15 inch MBP seem to be the EOL transition units that do "everything".

Rocketman

Allenbf
Jul 10, 2012, 12:57 PM

Anyway the new MacBook Air 13" is an awesome machine, super fast, light and with a great display!

I'd sell mine for retina display on the iMac sometime this year. At a price I can justify, of course.

Rmafive
Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
I hope they throw in a gfx card in there. It will be more powerful than the 15 inch and it will have 1/10 of the battery life! I think that it might be while until we see the 13 inch rMBPs. They need to let Intel's integrated graphics advance some.

Allenbf
Jul 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
what if your doorbell rang tomorrow, you answered it and nobody was there.. just an unmarked box.. and inside was a retina 13" with the purchase order of "666" on it..

youd be in big trouble buddy...

If that happens, the unboxing vid should be awwweesssoommmee :D

WWCOVE
Jul 10, 2012, 01:01 PM
I hope they have the good sence to keep the standard MacBook Pro or they may loose a lot of customers who do not need a high-priced resolution display.

PEN10k
Jul 10, 2012, 01:12 PM
thing is this Nvidia 650 cant power the screen good enough

Doesn't it do that with the 15" MBP's?

----------

I would to!
- I really hope that the rumors are true.

apb87
Jul 10, 2012, 01:16 PM
Apple already has a good lap top line-up for back-to-school. So, I would agree October is good, to capture a few late buyers and the non-school crowd. An rMBP 13" fills the line up and prepares for the future of SSD, DVD-free, hi-res laptops.

Don't know about the integrated graphics versus dedicated graphics, but I am sure Apple does know. The 13" will have fewer pixels to push and the 4000 is faster than the 3000, maybe good enough.

Well this is probably true...

Since the 13 inch is smaller, it may only end up needing a resolution closer to the aspect-ratio equivalent of 2560x1600 for a "retina" effect. This is a much more common resolution and runs fine on even mid-grade graphics hardware. Seems strange that the extra ~64,000 pixels in a 2880x1800 would cause that much of an issue on the 15-inch retina MBPs. My older MBP runs its native resolution and a 2560x1600 on an external monitor without noticeable UI lag. Running full-screen videos and games are a different story though..

jksu
Jul 10, 2012, 01:22 PM
13" retina mbp...nice. held off upgrading my 2010 11" mba because i was disappointed there were not display improvements in the 2012 mbas.

would it have 16:10 or 16:9? would love a smaller bezel.

Celf
Jul 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Price tag? anyone?

I'm afraid it will be around 1989 dollar or even a little more, but I hope I'm wrong.

nilk
Jul 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
I wonder what resolution a 13-inch retina display would be. I would guess it would double 1280x800, which would be 2560x1600, the same resolution as a 30" display. And I wonder what the scaled resolutions would be, I'm guessing 1680x1050 and 1440x900.

Hopefully it has a decent video card. I like that the 15" rMBP can drive 3 monitors (2 off of ThunderBolt, 1 off of HDMI) + laptop display for a total of 4 displays. Dual Thunderbolt ports is good in general, especially when the dongles for Firewire, Ethernet, etc, don't have a passthrough. Hopefully it doesn't lose that feature. I'm also hoping it has a 768GB SSD option, but I imagine it will as I don't think Apple wants to miss out on the profit from that option.

I'm hoping to not need a Mac Pro anymore with my next MacBook Pro purchase. Not sure about 15" or 13", but both sound appealing. If the 13" loses too many features, I would probably go 15". 768GB is a squeeze coming from an almost full 1TB system partition on my Mac Pro, but I could do it. I'm probably going to wait until next year for Haswell and also to see what the new Mac Pros are like just in case. Maybe they'll have 1TB SSD option in the rMBPs by then.

I'm also considering get a regular non-retina MBP (maybe even a refurb/used 17") instead and outfit it with a 1TB HDD and the largest SSD I can afford (install via Optibay or equivalent), so that I have a ton of storage and don't need to dock that often, but it just seems like I'd be going backwards if I don't get a retina model and the extra portability seems nice.

cube
Jul 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
MBP or MBA?

Like the current 15" MBA.

Mac32
Jul 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'd much rather have a Haswell retina MBA 13'. If Apple decide to release a retina MBP 13', I'm afraid they will deliberately cripple some core features in the MBA 13''. IMO MPA 13'' is a brilliant form factor, and that will be my next machine (together with an Apple Cinema Display).

saturn79
Jul 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
Looking at Apple's history, it would be safe to say that a new 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro should be released within the next few months. Remember when the first generation Unibody MacBook Pro was unveiled? It was only released as a 15 inch model leaving the old design 17 inch model without a change. A few months later, a new redesigned Unibody 17 inch MacBook Pro emerged. Further down the road, the aluminum Macbook was then renamed as the 13 inch Macbook Pro.

butterfly0fdoom
Jul 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
I hope they have the good sence to keep the standard MacBook Pro or they may loose a lot of customers who do not need a high-priced resolution display.

I think they should keep it as a "MacBook Classic" or something.

Mjmar
Jul 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Well, my MacBook Air just became obsolete in 2 weeks...

HalfBlazed
Jul 10, 2012, 02:20 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like that is way to many different Laptops for Apple. They have always had such a minimal array of devices, seems odd that they would have so much of a similar form factor to choose from.

I predict that 2012 is the last year of the non-Retina MacBook Pro which means no more upgrading Mac Laptops. I love the new Retina MacBook Pro, I think that Apple has definitely taken full size notebook computers to the next level. However, they are going to take a lot of flack from Pro users. Us Pro Users need some lovin' too Apple!

ericrwalker
Jul 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Well, my MacBook Air just became obsolete in 2 weeks...

What it stopped doing something that it advertised it would do? Saying a MBA is obsolete because a new MBP is coming out is dumb. They aren't even the same line of computer.

jmgaul
Jul 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Haven't been following Apple long enough to know, but does that fact that the Refurb Store is empty mean anything?

EvanBlive91
Jul 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
I think if they can put an IGZO panel in it, they could pull it off. It better have a dedicated GPU though. A 650M should be able to get in there since that optical drive is gone.

edry.hilario
Jul 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
yes apple give us a butt load of laptops and no imacs.. this is so effin weird digitimes says new retina macbook pros before october and imac maybe in september.. WHAT????? does this make sense, no.

iMikeT
Jul 10, 2012, 04:10 PM
This is the MacBook Pro that I'm waiting for. I hope that the back-to-school promotion is still going on when it's released. Either way, I'll be buying one.

nanotlj
Jul 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
I do not understand why apple still use 1440x900 for 15" macbook pro, not 1680x1050. What is the selling point for the same resolution in 13" (Air) and 15" (Pro)? For rMBP, it may be related to graphic card issue to drive the display. Hope next generation 15" rMBP, we can see 3360x2100 display.

terraphantm
Jul 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Seeing the 13" MBP were just upgraded (speed bump) and will likely stay on the MBP line.....not really any "old" inventory to get rid of. But that was definitely the case last year.

I meant in the past. I was just trying to convey that apple does not really bother with using any promotions to sell new products. And they don't need to - anything they launch will sell beyond their capacity for the first couple months after launch.

zzLZHzz
Jul 10, 2012, 08:35 PM
Probably. Well, I'm sure there'll be something on the homepage, but definitely not a keynote for it (unless its a quick mention in the iPod/iPhone keynote).

a quick mention of possible, it doesn't take more than 10min to introduce it especially when it is similar to the rMBP 15"

if steve job is still around. it could be in the "one last thing" segment

brdeveloper
Jul 10, 2012, 08:56 PM
I wonder if the 13" RMBP wouldn't affect sales of the 15" RMBP. With such a sharp screen, the only motivation for buying a 15" laptop would be a slightly extra power, although a SSD-equipped, Ivy Bridge, 4000HD would be nice for most Pro needs, including Photoshop and semi-pro video editing.

Mr MM
Jul 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
I wonder if the 13" RMBP wouldn't affect sales of the 15" RMBP. With such a sharp screen, the only motivation for buying a 15" laptop would be a slightly extra power, although a SSD-equipped, Ivy Bridge, 4000HD would be nice for most Pro needs, including Photoshop and semi-pro video editing.

if there is no dgpu, the trade off would be the same as its now.

technopimp
Jul 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
If they make the effective resolution still 1280x800, no sale. That is the single mot baffling thing to me about the 13" Pro- why can we have a higher resolution in the 13" Air, but not the "professional" machine?

H, that, and also no sale if they won't let me run full resolution. I don't need apple telling me what desktop resolution is "best" for me.

vikpt
Jul 11, 2012, 06:32 AM
Digitimes is of course somehow fishy but still I'm hoping this is true!!

stewacide
Jul 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
Well this is probably true...

Since the 13 inch is smaller, it may only end up needing a resolution closer to the aspect-ratio equivalent of 2560x1600 for a "retina" effect. This is a much more common resolution and runs fine on even mid-grade graphics hardware. Seems strange that the extra ~64,000 pixels in a 2880x1800 would cause that much of an issue on the 15-inch retina MBPs. My older MBP runs its native resolution and a 2560x1600 on an external monitor without noticeable UI lag. Running full-screen videos and games are a different story though..

The 15" Retina Pro is WAY higher resolution then it needs to be to achieve a 'retina' effect equivalent to e.g. the iPhone, given viewing distance. The reason it's 2880x1800 is because it allows for integer scaling, and even if you could get away with less physical pixels - which you could - you'd still have to do a x2 buffer render and downscale, which means the GPU would be even MORE taxed.

Besides, from what I've seen the lag on the Retina doesn't seem to lie with the GPU, since there's no improvement with the Nvidia card vs. the iGPU. Rather it seems to be a problem with CPU-bound text rendering in most cases.

----------

If they make the effective resolution still 1280x800, no sale. That is the single mot baffling thing to me about the 13" Pro- why can we have a higher resolution in the 13" Air, but not the "professional" machine?

H, that, and also no sale if they won't let me run full resolution. I don't need apple telling me what desktop resolution is "best" for me.

Ignoring the fact that you could use the 'virtual' resolutions, with the UI elements at an affective 1200x800 you would be free to down-scale your document contents as they're now so much sharper. E.g. set your web browser, Word, etc. to 75% scaling. Problem solved without the overhead of massively more physical or virtual (downscaled) pixels.

Randomoneh
Jul 11, 2012, 09:27 AM
The 15" Retina Pro is WAY higher resolution then it needs to be to achieve a 'retina' effect equivalent to e.g. the iPhone, given viewing distance.

Even though that's true, showed by this awesome graph (to categorize a display as "Retina", it has to have angular resolution of 60 pixels per degree or higher at normal viewing distance):

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4715/angularresolutiondimini.png

It has been proven average person can tell difference between images with angular resolution up to ~200 pixels per degree. So, at normal viewing distance, display with 2880x1880 would NOT look the same as, let's say double resolution - 5760x3600.

deconstruct60
Jul 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
A 650M should be able to get in there since that optical drive is gone.

If Apple shaves 0.2" off the height and dumps so-DIMM RAM (soldering the RAM to the motherboard to save height) then probably not.

The height drop actually just throws away a portion of the "saved" DVD space to lower weight (overall system is thinner so therefore weighs less as case is smaller). Soldered RAM takes up more horizontal space than DIMMs do. The display will require a bigger battery and also will have displaced battery pack space from the lower portions due to the height reduction. Finally, it isn't just the 650M. Need space for the 650M's VRAM ( likely already soaked up by the soldered RAM. ), Display Port switch, and for additional cooling solutions.

If look at the MBPr 15" motherboard there isn't much space to be saved.

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/IAbJlQbhPUYnQMOS.medium

bottom
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/qZaWp3cP2wdUrRly.medium

source iFixit teardown for what those colored boxes correspond to (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Display-Mid-2012-Teardown/9462/2)

The MBPr 13" will be less wide you either you need to make that board narrower and taller (in respect to the pictures above) or get rid of some of those components to make it narrower with the same height ( in respect to the pictures). In the reduction option, tossing the red box on the top picture and the orange box in the bottom can claw back enough space to make the board about 2" narrower which is what you need.

If make the board taller then making battery section smaller. That really isn't an option. Since the battery section is already smaller since saved volume off with the MBP case height reduction.

If Apple left the height alone and saved the majority of the DVD space for GPU + VRAM + Cooling it is much easier to fit those into a 2" more narrow space . They just don't seem likely to do that. They are going to be out to chuck the DVD , HDD , and Ethernet port and then toss a substantive portion of the saved space away.

Back in the day the PowerBook 12" was taller than the larger screen equivalents. Somewhat for this same reason. Too thin with a smaller screen means going to be making relatively larger volume sacrifices for fixed volume/space components like battery, RAM, GPU, etc.

This is one reason way the MBA has be relatively crippled on RAM capacity versus the MBP offerings including the MBPr (which maxes out at 16GB RAM). Likewise, trailing behind on battery lifetime also (getting better now with lower powered CPU/GPU combinations. )

deconstruct60
Jul 11, 2012, 10:34 AM
Haven't been following Apple long enough to know, but does that fact that the Refurb Store is empty mean anything?

With respect to new products coming online soon? No.

Yes , that there is either a heavy run on reburb products ( for now a primary source of better prices) or just a relative low rate of return/repair for the moment. Apple doesn't "manage" refurb sales so there is always something to sell. They just sell what they get.

You can see refurbs disappear quickly if folks think some "feature" is going to be taken away and folks need a machine with that type, but don't have money to buy new.

May also see a blimp when Apple is doing a quarter close of inventory. If there is some hocus pocus Apple can do to get a bigger tax deduction, they'll take it.

rovex
Jul 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Digitimes with another rumour that a device will be updated shortly after a refrsh. What makes me believe them?

This one has a bit of weight to it in all fairness.

HotRodGuy
Jul 11, 2012, 12:02 PM
what are the chances they come out with a thinner profile on the standard mbp 13"?

manu chao
Jul 11, 2012, 01:42 PM

If you start with the resolution of the 15" rMBP and backtrack, it all makes sense. Assume the resolution of the 15" rMBP is limited by display availability, cost and graphic card performance. That means that in 'optimal mode' (pixel doubling) it is 900 x 1440. Which means the standard resolution of the non-retina MBP also has to be 900 x 1440 because people would be miffed if switching to the 15" rMBP from the non-retina 15" MBP would lead to less real-estate [in optimal mode]. This means the 13" MBP cannot have a resolution of 900 (in the vertical direction) because it has to be different from the 15" models.

bamamac
Jul 11, 2012, 07:18 PM
I can't even get the 15" MBP I ordered a month ago,,,maybe that's why. They are busy making all the 13-inch MBP's. Ha

I'm heading to apple to cancel my order. :rolleyes:

ctc799
Jul 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'd love to see a 13" rMBP, but it seems a little early to put them out this year. I think we'll be seeing enough new stuff this Fall to push this back. (Though it'll inevitably happen soon after)

chris7777
Jul 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
Forgive me if anyone else has already suggested this, But has anyone considered that apple may actually include a discrete graphics card in the 13"?

They removed the superdrive and HD and switched to flash drives their might be room for one, though I haven't looked at a tear down of the 15 inch, but considering the price hike on the 15 inch for retina, and the assumed price hike on the 13 inch, maybe they will put something that can at least equal the 15 incher as taxed as it is.

OatmealRocks
Jul 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
As much as I would love a RD on my MacBook Pro, it is an Early 2011 model so unless there would be some significant changes, I don't see myself selling the current laptop and getting the new MBPR-13".

What the heck does that mean? What would be significant for you? Retina not enough? What do you need? Gold plated bezel with all the ports missing from the 15" MBPR but in a 13 housing?

Ironduke
Jul 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
Doesn't it do that with the 15" MBP's?

----------

I would to!
- I really hope that the rumors are true.

No it suffers from frame rate issue's on simple Menu animations etc

PEN10k
Jul 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
No it suffers from frame rate issue's on simple Menu animations etc

Arh, alright, didn't know that.

caligomez
Jul 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
If it only has the integrated card you will be looking at a very sub-par product. If it has a dedicated card then maybe they can pull it off.

By removing the HDD and Optical Drive I would imagine a dedicated GPU can be thrown in there, no?

stewacide
Jul 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
Forgive me if anyone else has already suggested this, But has anyone considered that apple may actually include a discrete graphics card in the 13"?

They removed the superdrive and HD and switched to flash drives their might be room for one, though I haven't looked at a tear down of the 15 inch, but considering the price hike on the 15 inch for retina, and the assumed price hike on the 13 inch, maybe they will put something that can at least equal the 15 incher as taxed as it is.

+99% of the time the 15" is running on the HD4000 anyway. In day to day use a 13" without a dGPU would be the same or better.

njean777
Jul 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
By removing the HDD and Optical Drive I would imagine a dedicated GPU can be thrown in there, no?

They could, if asus has managed to do it in a 11in ultra book, IDK why apple couldn't do it for the 13in MBP. Of course there will be battery concerns. But I think apple will sort it all out as they always do.

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
That would be so cool.

Tora Shin
Jul 14, 2012, 05:25 AM
its rumored that the 13" retina pro will be powered by the HD 4000 only.

the single thing that should distinguish macbook pros from the Air is discrete graphics cards. If the 13" retina pro doesnt have a discrete graphics card it shouldnt be labeled pro. Same thing with the current line of pros - that 13" should be able to fit a graphics card no problem I don't see why apple is only putting it in the 15".

Exactly. And if they are determined to use an integrated GPU, the least they could do is look at using AMD APU's.

Builddesign
Sep 28, 2012, 03:08 PM
:cool: I want my black on black retina air macbook :cool:

----------

:cool: I want my black on black retina air macbook :cool:

baypharm
Oct 5, 2012, 03:31 PM

Kinda heavy? Then maybe they should build one out of balsa wood!!

kustardking
Oct 6, 2012, 01:27 AM

What difference does the weight make if you NEED one for school now?