PDA

View Full Version : Revamped iPod Nano to Include Oblong Body with Home Button?

MacRumors
Jul 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/)

Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=17103) that Apple will be redesigning the iPod nano later this year with a new form factor that more closely resembles an iPod touch. According to the report, the iPod nano will apparently sport a rectangular screen and a home button similar to that found on iOS devices.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg
Given that the screen size on this redesigned iPod nano would appear to be substantially smaller than the iPhone/iPod touch, it seems unlikely that the iPod nano would run iOS apps. Instead, Apple is likely to use a custom operating system and apps skinned to resemble iOS as found on the current incarnation of the iPod nano.

The report also indicates that Apple will be bringing a "dedicated new iTunes service" to the device, but there is no word on what that service would entail.

Apple's iPod lines have generally trended to smaller form factors with each redesign, but this rumored redesign would appear to mark a substantial increase in size from the current form factor, which was introduced in September 2010 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/01/apple-announces-new-ipod-models/). Several leaked photos have suggested that Apple planned to add a camera (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/apples-1-3-mp-camera-equipped-ipod-nano-due-for-launch-in-marchapril/) to the smaller form factor, but it appears that the company may have ultimately scrapped those plans.

It would not be unprecedented, however, for Apple to decide that smaller is not necessarily better, particularly if the iPod nano can see increased functionality with the new design. Apple famously removed virtually all buttons (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/11/apple-releases-smaller-4gb-ipod-shuffle-in-black-and-silver/) from the iPod shuffle in March 2009 as it moved controls to the headphone cord, but a September 2010 redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/01/apple-announces-new-ipod-models/) saw the return of the click wheel and other on-device buttons.

Article Link: Revamped iPod Nano to Include Oblong Body with Home Button? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/)

kinless
Jul 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Looks interesting. I'm still sporting the "fat" nano as the main player in my car. Time for a replacement soon perhaps.

needfx
Jul 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
that's not a bad mockup render

cambookpro
Jul 10, 2012, 12:25 PM
At least bring back the camera!

/wishfulthinking

Big-TDI-Guy
Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Wifi reception aside, beautiful design / renders!

JS77
Jul 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
I can't help but think that would make a great iPhone Nano :D

needfx
Jul 10, 2012, 12:28 PM

indeed!!

Prof.
http://i46.tinypic.com/bgbwjc.jpg

RodThePlod
If the current iPod touch is discontinued and replaced by a combination of this on the low end and the 7.85 inch iPad at the higher end, it might all make sense...

RTP.

Spock
Jul 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Looks interesting. I'm still sporting the "fat" nano as the main player in my car. Time for a replacement soon perhaps.

I'm doing the exact same thing with my old nano, it's been locking up alot and it will no longer hold all my music, maybe this will drive refurb prices down a bit. I think the render looks like a knock off iPod touch.

oneMadRssn
Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 PM

Same. I hope they don't get rid of or change the dock connector though, as my headunit has an ipod dock connector.

ghsNick
Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
Actually seems like a good idea!

Veinticinco
Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
About time.

The current Nano was an interesting experiment but the fact it's been more popular as a makeshift wristwatch says it all.

This mockup would be a much more natural/ergonomic form factor.

unplugme71
Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 PM
not bad

applesith
Jul 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe this is where the rumors for an iPhone with just longer display is coming from?

This would make more sense for the nano because it doesn't use iOS, but a just media focused interface. I always like the nano with the larger screen than the current shuffle screen design.

BRussell
Jul 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
Imagine Apple doing with the iPod nano what they're rumored to be doing with the smaller iPad: They could take the 480x320 screen of the original (non-retina) iPod Touch and shrink it by a third or so. Put iOS on it and you've got a smaller iPod Touch to go along with the rumored larger-screen iPod Touch. Tap targets would be awfully small, but perhaps that's a trade-off worth making for access to hundreds of thousands of apps.

Mic'sBook
Jul 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
I like the good-looking tall form factor of iPod nano, but why not just focus on the iPod touch and keep making it better and better, thus increasing the user base of iOS? What's more, it seems that the current (6th generation) iPod nano is doing great as well. And some people just use it with a watch band as a watch.

Want a camera, play videos, etc.? -> iPod touch (plus all the great apps available for the iOS + increase the user base of iOS)
Just music? -> iPod nano/iPod shuffle

I think the product lines now are fine in my opinion.

sigamy
Jul 10, 2012, 12:35 PM
Looks good to me. Much better than the current nano, which I simply don't get.

But, not sure who would be buying these? I see 8 year olds with iPod touch these days.

l.w41sh
UGLY! MY opinion I am entitled to it. :)

niuniu
Best Nano ever was

http://www.everymac.com/images/ipod_pictures/apple-ipod-nano-5g.jpg

hopefully they go back to this design and get the video recording again. I love being able to snap photos and take videos on something that small, even if it's just silly stuff like foxes and eerie empty streets when I'm out running at night. Or if you see an accident or something when you're out for a jog, it's nice to be able to record it.

While I know it's just a quick render, that thing looks just 'meh'.

Kudos for the use of 'oblong' though, it's not every day you see that word used in a headline.

Reason077
Jul 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Looks cool.

Now they just need to add apps, and the ability to make calls. Voila! iPhone mini.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jul 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this.... I wonder what size this thing would be.. The same size as the last long iPod Nano?

pezj
Jul 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
Loving the rounded aluminum

JoEw
Jul 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
but I can't wear it on my wrist :/

Hastings101
I think that mockup looks really cool, click wheel will always be my favorite though.

nostaws
We are sporting the pink mini in the family van.

goinskiing
Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
The many faces of the nano, love it. It's almost like the nano is Apple's PMP sandbox.

coolfactor
Same. I hope they don't get rid of or change the dock connector though, as my headunit has an ipod dock connector.

If they do switch to the small Dock connector (I'm split on this), I hope they provide a low-profile adapter during the first year of transition. And the new connector needs to have a very strong magnetic connection to provide the same support as the current connector provides for devices.

mrbyu
Way better-looking than the usual fugly mockups on Macrumors... :D

coolfactor
Jul 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
I think that mockup looks really cool, click wheel will always be my favorite though.

The click-wheel was/is a brilliant, brilliant interface. They had it perfected!

Patriot24
Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg

Apple is making a Zune?

mrbyu
Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 PM

Yeah, interesting to read in the Steve Jobs BIO that it was Phil Schiller's idea (if I recall it well). There are tons of cool things we love in Apple products that didn't come from Steve but from another talented people in Apple.

BJMRamage
Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
I always liked the tall and skinny Nanos.
My wife had the Product(Red) one before the switched to the short & Stubby one..then they went back to tall and thin, then i guess to the now form or just square?

twietee
Jul 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
While I know it's just a quick render, that thing looks just 'meh'.

Kudos for the use of 'oblong' though, it's not every day you see that word used in a headline.

I don't like it either. Looks generic in the renderings + where do I insert my earphones? IR?..wow that'll be amazing! Those white plastic apple ones are always not long enough from pocket to ear, plus the white plastic doesn't go too well with the black i-phone..well, that's cleary OT now.

oneMadRssn
Jul 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Best Nano ever was

Image (http://www.everymac.com/images/ipod_pictures/apple-ipod-nano-5g.jpg)

The click-wheel was/is a brilliant

click wheel will always be my favorite

Agree agree agree. Getting rid of the click-wheel marked the end of an era.

Dionte
Jul 10, 2012, 12:46 PM
They should put wifi chips in all devices and add the iTunes store.

Glassed Silver
Jul 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
I like the "wrist watch"-able design way too much.
In fact, I'm hoping it will continue to exist and maybe get complimentary features together with iOS and OS X.

Apple is a master in vertical integration, how can companies create Pebble Watches et all whilst Apple leans back and does nothing about their iPod nanos to compliment their other products?

This would possibly help both products, the nanos and the devices they could connect and interact with.

I swear I'll buy a nano some day just for the powerful wrist watch it is, add some more beefy features to it and we have a clear winner!

Come on, Apple! :apple:

Glassed Silver:mac

stefan24
Jul 10, 2012, 12:48 PM

I think the same, I hope apple doesn't make anything that looks like that.
Sorry to the guy that designed it, great work but not a good product for me anyway.

cRuNcHiE
Jul 10, 2012, 12:49 PM
I haven't heard anyone say the word 'oblong' since primary school where we were then taught to say rectangle/rectangular

hobo.hopkins
Jul 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
As others have alluded, this would make sense if the miniature iPad rumours are true - this could be Apple's smaller and cheaper iPod touch. They can't attempt to sell iPod touches at prices competing with a 7" tablet.

Jamesesesesess
Jul 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
God, that's hideous, and it looks exactly like a Lumia 900. I understand that it's a render but it looks awful.

apolloa
Jul 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
Don't quite know what to make of these renders? Look cool but hardly a Nano iPod? I love my fatboy 3rd gen model, but these look a lot bigger then even that?

Nano means small, NOT replace the iPod Touch!

lazyrighteye
Jul 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
This, plus recent iPad mini (and other) rumors and some boredom-fueled daydreaming has me wondering...

What if the rumored iPad mini is actually the new, reimagined iPod touch?
What if they dropped the "touch" form the name (taking a cue form iPad) and this was the new iPod? A smaller than iPad/tablet-like device. Yielding a fall iDevice lineup of the following: iPod shuffle (seems too popular/convenient to kill), iPod nano, iPod, iPad, iPhone.

K... Back to work.

CaryMacGuy
Jul 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
It seems like a logical next step for the iPod Nano...I like the design! However, like many people, my iPhone is my iPod and I have no reason to buy a standalone iPod.

genovelle
Jul 10, 2012, 12:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.

jbimler
Jul 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
I like the idea. I'd replace my Touch with this and only use it as an mp3 player. Needs to run spotify though.

BrentD
Jul 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
Apple is making a Zune?
Glad I'm not the only one who's first thought was this.

Eadfrith
Jul 10, 2012, 12:55 PM

I still have my "fat" Nano too :D

squeeks
Jul 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
looks like you need tiny child hands to use the controls though...

Roessnakhan
I'm not blown away by the render, but the concept of it has my interests piqued. Would love WiFi syncing with it as well.

But I also like the watch concept. So maybe if they could sell the models alongside one another, maybe rename the current nano to the iPod watch, or something.

celavato
About time. The current Nano was an interesting experiment but the fact it's been more popular as a makeshift wristwatch says it all. This mockup would be a much more natural/ergonomic form factor.

I don't see how Apple could abandon the current nano form factor, which is a must-have for gym rats and also popular among people like me who just want a tiny music player with a screen. With a camera in virtually every smartphone and even feature phone, there's no point in making the nano larger again if it's not going to run iOS apps.

Yvan256
Jul 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
Imagine Apple doing with the iPod nano what they're rumored to be doing with the smaller iPad: They could take the 480x320 screen of the original (non-retina) iPod Touch and shrink it by a third or so. Put iOS on it and you've got a smaller iPod Touch to go along with the rumored larger-screen iPod Touch. Tap targets would be awfully small, but perhaps that's a trade-off worth making for access to hundreds of thousands of apps.

My thoughts exactly. What better way to grow the iOS userbase with a new device with a 320x480 display at a lower cost and that can run current apps without requiring a rewrite. It could also be target at kids since they have smaller fingers so smaller tap targets are not a problem.

The Nintendo 3DS is selling for 170$USD but the iPod touch is only 30$USD more. So I would expect a price of around 125-150$USD for this new iPod touch nano.

----------

As others have alluded, this would make sense if the miniature iPad rumours are true - this could be Apple's smaller and cheaper iPod touch. They can't attempt to sell iPod touches at prices competing with a 7" tablet.

Indeed. A smaller iPod touch would mean less competition for the iPhone.

The lineup of iOS devices would then become iPod (touch) nano, iPhone, iPad mini, iPad. What's funny is that the resolutions of these four devices would still be (in the same order) "iPhone, iPhone retina, iPad, iPad retina". No modifications to apps needed.

MadeTheSwitch
Jul 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
I rather have the watch form factor. But perhaps I am in the minority. But with the interest in the Pebble, it seems like a lot of other people feel the same way.

twietee
Jul 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
Apple is making a Zune?

God, that's hideous, and it looks exactly like a Lumia 900. I understand that it's a render but it looks awful.

+1
When Nokia or MS are starting to sue Apple over design infringement, I would start to worry and sell my shares at once.

currentinterest
Jul 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
Apple may merge the current Nano and Shuffle, leaving a wearable device, then offer an iPod touch mini to replace the current Nano. This would make a lot of sense.

solong4now
Jul 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
Apple is leaving the old ipod interface in favor of touch screen. THe last ipod nano was a bridge from ipod to iOS, perhaps, if these rumors be anything true then perhaps this is just the next generation ipod (perhaps mini but not nano) with touch screen control but not a true iOS, much like the current nano. I would even imagine a new ipod that had wifi and could access just the iTunes store and have just some basic apps that allow streaming.
Bigger is not better and the current nano is pretty awesome so I would love a high capacity ipod with wifi that could access home sharing or stream to airplay.

Mavimao
Jul 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Apple may merge the current Nano and Shuffle, leaving a wearable device, then offer an iPod touch mini to replace the current Nano. This would make a lot of sense.

This. In terms of size, there really isn't much difference between the current nano and shuffle. One just has a touch screen.

So the nano and shuffle turn into one product, and then next up you have an ipod touch.

Sixtafoua
Jul 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
ughrf who cares?

Thana6tos
Jul 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
:D Agree 100% with U about the design, but not about the pic and cam, I don't care for that. Yes! Perfect for jogging...... gym..... hiking. Though this rumored iPod Nano is not bad, I can't wait. Best Nano ever was

hopefully they go back to this design and get the video recording again. I love being able to snap photos and take videos on something that small, even if it's just silly stuff like foxes and eerie empty streets when I'm out running at night. Or if you see an accident or something when you're out for a jog, it's nice to be able to record it.

monaarts
Jul 10, 2012, 01:13 PM
No way they will do this. They know people are wearing the current iPod nano's as a watch and I think they will want to keep this going. Why have an iPhone and an iPod in your pocket? Nope. Have an iPhone in your pocket and an iPod around your wrist. I see the next version looking something like this: (btw, the cartoon pic is just to bring back memories)

Sixtafoua
Jul 10, 2012, 01:14 PM

Have you been living in a cave for the last two years? The iPod nano is already a "wearable device".

Bear
Jul 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
An iPod nano similar to the depicted design and at least 16GB would be a nice option.

Apple Key
Jul 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
Apple is making a Zune?

LOL

I didn't see it until you said it, but it really does look like a Zune!

Eidorian
Jul 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
Have not heard anything about the Nano in some time.

Rafterman
Jul 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
About time.

The current Nano was an interesting experiment but the fact it's been more popular as a makeshift wristwatch says it all.

This mockup would be a much more natural/ergonomic form factor.

Add bluetooth to the existing Nano, and the Nano would become relevant again.

Caliber26
Jul 10, 2012, 01:21 PM
that's not a bad mockup render

Are you kidding me!? That thing looks like some cheap Zune. I'm all for the concept behind it, but that is one FUGLY render.

Kid A
Jul 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
Have you been living in a cave for the last two years? The iPod nano is already a "wearable device".

what you're quoting never implied that it isn't.

----------

... Apple famously removed virtually all buttons (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/11/apple-releases-smaller-4gb-ipod-shuffle-in-black-and-silver/) from the iPod shuffle in March 2009 as it moved controls to the headphone cord, but a September 2010 redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/01/apple-announces-new-ipod-models/) saw the return of the click wheel and other on-device buttons.

since when did the shuffle ever have a click wheel?
buttons and a click wheel are 2 completely different interfaces, no?

if anything, didn't the 2010 round of re-designs mark the death of the click wheel -- with its removal from the nano and the presumed EOL status of the classic?

deeddawg
Jul 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
An iPod nano similar to the depicted design and at least 16GB would be a nice option.

An iPod nano that is actually usable for real workouts would be nice. The current one is just too easily killed by a little bit of sweat.

I'm sure it's fine if you just hang out at the gym posing, or run around the block twice a week -- but do a couple real workouts or outdoor runs where you're drenched in sweat and the nano quickly dies a salty corroded death if worn on your waist as directed for the Nike app. (manual (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPod_nano_6thgen_User_Guide.pdf), page 36)

Having to bundle it up in a waterproof case to use when working out kind of defeats the point.

Rocketman
Jul 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
If it were to add a form of wireless, have a 16:10 display, and run iOS apps, it might even be able to run remote server side apps as well. It could have a lot of functions as a "thin client".

Rocketman

notjustjay
Jul 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Ooh, Sony's making iPods now?

macchiato2009
Jul 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/)

Japanese blog Macotakara reports (http://www.macotakara.jp/blog/index.php?ID=17103) that Apple will be redesigning the iPod nano later this year with a new form factor that more closely resembles an iPod touch. According to the report, the iPod nano will apparently sport a rectangular screen and a home button similar to that found on iOS devices.

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/07/ipod_nano_oblong_rendering.jpg)

Given that the screen size on this redesigned iPod nano would appear to be substantially smaller than the iPhone/iPod touch, it seems unlikely that the iPod nano would run iOS apps. Instead, Apple is likely to use a custom operating system and apps skinned to resemble iOS as found on the current incarnation of the iPod nano.

The report also indicates that Apple will be bringing a "dedicated new iTunes service" to the device, but there is no word on what that service would entail.

Apple's iPod lines have generally trended to smaller form factors with each redesign, but this rumored redesign would appear to mark a substantial increase in size from the current form factor, which was introduced in September 2010 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/01/apple-announces-new-ipod-models/). Several leaked photos have suggested that Apple planned to add a camera (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/01/apples-1-3-mp-camera-equipped-ipod-nano-due-for-launch-in-marchapril/) to the smaller form factor, but it appears that the company may have ultimately scrapped those plans.

It would not be unprecedented, however, for Apple to decide that smaller is not necessarily better, particularly if the iPod nano can see increased functionality with the new design. Apple famously removed virtually all buttons (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/11/apple-releases-smaller-4gb-ipod-shuffle-in-black-and-silver/) from the iPod shuffle in March 2009 as it moved controls to the headphone cord, but a September 2010 redesign (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/01/apple-announces-new-ipod-models/) saw the return of the click wheel and other on-device buttons.

Article Link: Revamped iPod Nano to Include Oblong Body with Home Button? (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/10/revamped-ipod-nano-to-include-oblong-body-with-home-button/)

i thought i was a design from microsoft :eek:

myrtlebee
Jul 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
I'm putting my bet out there that Apple will release the smaller iPad, eliminate the entire current iPod line. iPods have gotten stale. This would reignite some buzz around them .... they may introduce this as simply the new iPod and really hype it up, adding features that haven't yet been discussed (perhaps retaining the Shuffle, but I wouldn't count on that). Just a crazy guess, but something tells me they are taking an axe to the iPod lineup this fall.

thrilllho
Jul 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
Best Nano ever was

Agree 100%. Mine is starting to lose its battery strength and I'm a sad, sad panda.

I would buy that redesign in a...heh...NanoSecond.

canyonblue737
Jul 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
I bet besides the new form factor the big new feature will be wifi... allowing access to the iTunes music store and iTunes match directly on the device. price will remain $149ish.

AustinIllini
Jul 10, 2012, 01:41 PM
I bet besides the new form factor the big new feature will be wifi... allowing access to the iTunes music store and iTunes match directly on the device. price will remain $149ish.

That would be fantastic.

bushido
Jul 10, 2012, 01:42 PM
Wifi reception aside, beautiful design / renders!

BEAUTIFUL???

this looks like a 40 mp3 player from china that u could get from ebay

powers74
Jul 10, 2012, 01:43 PM

Exactly. With the popularity of the nano wristwatch adapters, and iPhone compatible watches, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them bring back the larger nano and make an iDevice compatible watch.

Hexiii
Jul 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
They could make a new Shuffle. Just square with home button, lol.

No, seriously, I want a Shuffle update! :)

seecoolguy
Jul 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
No way they will do this. They know people are wearing the current iPod nano's as a watch and I think they will want to keep this going. Why have an iPhone and an iPod in your pocket? Nope. Have an iPhone in your pocket and an iPod around your wrist. I see the next version looking something like this: (btw, the cartoon pic is just to bring back memories)

wow this would be cool, I think I would go back to wearing a watch again if it were an apple product like this.. the ability to facetime would be awesome.

My dad is deaf and being able to initiate a video chat with him, this easily is just awesome.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg

monaarts
Jul 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
wow this would be cool, I think I would go back to wearing a watch again if it were an apple product like this.. the ability to facetime would be awesome.

My dad is deaf and being able to initiate a video chat with him, this easily is just awesome.

Image (http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg)

I agree 100%. Even if it is only WiFi FaceTime, it would serve its purpose very well. Or they could create an iPhone extension where you can use AirPlay to use the FaceTime on your iPod Nano with the internet on the iPhone. :D

- Joe

kaydot
Jul 10, 2012, 01:54 PM
The first mobile player to release 128 gigs of flash memory wins the prize.

I don't need iOS, I need media capacity.
I don't need a camera, I need media capacity.
I don't need a GPS, I need media capacity.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jul 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
BEAUTIFUL???

this looks like a 40 mp3 player from china that u could get from ebay

God forbid someone on the Internet could possibly have a different opinion from your own! Sorry for being wrong. :rolleyes:

iPods are made In China, and also can be found on eBay for even cheaper, therefore they must be hideous!

bungiefan89
Jul 10, 2012, 02:01 PM
Ugh... this looks NOTHING like an iPod!
Where's the click-wheel? Why does it have a big ugly volume control on the side?
If not for the touch screen, I'd probably think this was an MP3 player from 2003 made by Sony or Samsung or something... Hell... it almost looks like a small Zune.
Do not like this new design. :mad:

Drunken Master
Jul 10, 2012, 02:02 PM

Same, except I use my fatboy Nano when I go jogging.

The click wheel gets unresponsive and weird when I sweat all over it through. :D

Ugh... this looks NOTHING like an iPod!
Where's the click-wheel? Why does it have a big ugly volume control on the side?
If not for the touch screen, I'd probably think this was an MP3 player from 2003 made by Sony or Samsung or something... Hell... it almost looks like a small Zune.
Do not like this new design. :mad:

Are you for real?

Do you live on this planet?

That's some guy's mockup.

Calm down.

SwiftLives
Jul 10, 2012, 02:07 PM
I seem to recall the iPod Touch sells fairly well. It has the entire market practically to itself, as there aren't really any viable competitors to it. I really don't think an iPad Mini would or could replace the iPod Touch.

I do see the iPod Touch replacing the iPod Classic. Especially if it receives a 128GB upgrade. Apple seems very eager to keep a high capacity pocket-sized media device around, which is why I assume they haven't killed off the Classic yet.

The existing iPod Nano starts at $129, and essentially hasn't been upgraded since 2010. There's no reason it can't take the place of the current sub-$100 shuffle with a price cut, and the new nano device fill the gap in the sub $200 market.

I would expect this for the iPod lineup:
Somewhere between $79 - $99 - existing iPod nano (4GB)
$149/$179 - new iPod nano (8GB/16GB)
$199/$299/$399 - iPod Touch (32/64/128)

The only thing that may be difficult to reconcile would be price cannibalization between the purported iPod mini and the iPod touch. I would guess the iPod mini would some in one capacity - 16GB.

BRussell
Jul 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
God forbid someone on the Internet could possibly have a different opinion from your own! Sorry for being wrong. :rolleyes:

iPods are made In China, and also can be found on eBay for even cheaper, therefore they must be hideous!

Phase I, rumor site publishes a photo or rendering of future product: "That is soooo ugly, Apple would never make it and I would never buy it!"

Phase II, Apple releases product exactly matching the rumor: "That is soooo beautiful, I can't wait to get it!"

tardman91
Jul 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
I hope they put a gps in this one so it can run the Nike+ app. I'm tired of running with my iPhone. I'd upgrade from my 6th gen nano in a heartbeat!

SBlue1
Jul 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
Would love an iPod with that form factor.

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2012, 02:22 PM
Best Nano ever was

Agreed!

I love the new design concept, but I'd rather have a Nano with a click wheel . . . so I don't have to look at the screen when I am changing a song or whatever.

johncrab
Jul 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
Apple has already gone down that road with the Nano. Apparently, sales were not all that great because they replaced it with the current model which makes a cool watch.

SeattleMoose
Jul 10, 2012, 02:30 PM
They need to increase the top model to 32GB and return to being able to play videos. If they remain stuck at 16GB then no sale!!!

Aqua Bliss
Jul 10, 2012, 02:39 PM
Please just give us built-in bluetooth. It's the perfect size for workouts with bluetooth headphones, and I don't want to use that god awful adapter.

Yvan256
Jul 10, 2012, 02:40 PM
The existing iPod Nano starts at $129, and essentially hasn't been upgraded since 2010. There's no reason it can't take the place of the current sub-$100 shuffle with a price cut, and the new nano device fill the gap in the sub $200 market.

I have to disagree on that topic. The iPod shuffle got its small clickwheel back for the 4th generation for a reason. I can use any headphones I want with it and I can change tracks and volume without looking at it.

I received the new touch screen iPod nano to replace by 2nd-generation (bad battery) and I haven't even connected it to my Mac mini yet. It's still in the box, I only turned it on once to see if it was working, turned it off immediately. I don't need and I don't want a touch screen on something which I'm supposed to clip on my clothes. IMHO the two (clip-on and touch screen) are opposites.

mertyz
Jul 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Actually it would be awesome if new Nanos kept their current design and could talk with the iPhone over bluetooth to act like those smart phone watches :)

chipchen
Jul 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
These rendered images look like Nokia Lumia Nanos...

lozpop
Jul 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
And what if Apple merged the iPod touch and the iPod nano, introducing this new iPod in October alongside a new iPad mini?

Does this sound that crazy?:confused:

I know that an iPod mini would not be an iPod touch, though.

emvath
Jul 10, 2012, 03:03 PM

It's wrong though. :)

trunten
Jul 10, 2012, 03:08 PM

This can not be stated enough! In my opinion the classic ipod was the pinnacle of mp3 players. I'm never letting mine go. The fact that you can skip tracks without looking at the device is alone enough to beat the ipod touch into the ground as a music device.

Alaska Jack
Jul 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
(1) For the thing shown in the render, bring back the iPod Mini name.

(2) The current iPod Nano just needs a few minor tweaks, focused on making it more suitable as a watch.

(a) Make it water resistant, so you're not boned if you forget to take it off when you take a shower, get caught in the rain or break a sweat during a workout.

(b) Give it a low-power, OLED display. This enables the following two functions:

(b1) The display doesn't go to sleep when the face is set to "clock." What kind of watch requires you to wake it from sleep just to see the time?

(b2) Make it possible to override the display sleep. I owned a Nano for a short time, to use in the car. The display drove me nuts by always going into sleep mode. It made it almost unusable -- I eventually had to return it. My trusty iPod mini works better -- the backlight might go off, but the display remains readable.

lllll Alaska Jack

dbam987
Jul 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
That looks eerily like the Nokia Lumia 900... :D
Then again, everyone copies everyone anyway. Let the lawsuits begin (again :()!

Navdakilla
Jul 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Seems like a cool idea. The current nano seems like it's been in the bizz for a long time now.

alfistas
Jul 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
beautiful design / renders!

ajvizzgamer101
Jul 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
It's just an iPod Touch?

RMo
Jul 10, 2012, 03:44 PM

I disagree-the current Nano is great to use at the gym. No case needed--just a small, lightweight iPod with a built-in clip. I use my Touch now because I've predominantly switched to Spotify, but if the Nano ever got apps and Wi-Fi in that form factor, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

laxic
Jul 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
All I need is the same nano with bluetooth! (and maybe a camera for quick shots). It looks ridiculous to have the nano as a watch with a crazy long cable connected to it.

ctdonath
Jul 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
That's not an iPod nano.
That's an iPad nano.
So that makes the iPod touch an iPad mini?

HangmanSwingset
I was hoping to see bluetooth 4.0 in a similar form factor...
I was just thinking how it could have iPhone integration so you could see who's calling you and whatnot, saying as it is really popular as a watch.
Same thing with texts, notifications, etc... Also visual music controls blah blah blah...
I know every iPhone owner out there has had a "That chime my iPhone made... Is it worth taking out and looking at right now? Oh damn, Zombie Farm update." moment.
But who knows. October is just around the corner.

Dagless
I really hope it improves on that last one. It was such a huge leap backwards after all.

bushido
Jul 10, 2012, 04:58 PM
Phase I, rumor site publishes a photo or rendering of future product: "That is soooo ugly, Apple would never make it and I would never buy it!"

Phase II, Apple releases product exactly matching the rumor: "That is soooo beautiful, I can't wait to get it!"

the difference being that those are ugly ass mockups unlike the leaked prototypes

SpyderBite
Jul 10, 2012, 05:05 PM

This ^^

That was the primary reason I purchased the Nano when Nike+ was upgraded to work without a bluetooth adapter. Using my iPhone in the gym was a $649 accident waiting to happen every time it fell out of my pocket and dangled by my ear bud wire. XD

jsolares
Jul 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
this looks a lot like a zune

macadam212
Jul 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
Slow news year!

Ingot
Jul 10, 2012, 05:52 PM
Best Nano ever was

I agree completely. This to me was the best design and using the small screen for movies and other media was surprisingly good. I have four of them in my household and they are still being used by various family members.

----------

Apple is making a Zune?

Looks more like a samsung P2. I still have that tech sitting in my drawer. One day I may fire it up again for old times sake. The sound of the P2 was a bit more superior to apple's, but the interface was just doodoo. Loading up movies on that thing was a huge pain.

fitshaced
Jul 10, 2012, 05:59 PM
What they need to do is keep the current design but perhaps a little thicker to include gps and Bluetooth. Then include Nike + gps by default. The perfect running music player.

baryon
Jul 10, 2012, 06:27 PM
The only Nano I ever liked was this one:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/IMG/110/142110/apple-ipod-nano.jpg?1290861225

I just like the proportions, and how it feels in your hand. I also like the fact that it has buttons. Buttons are cool in such a touch-crazy world. Being able to pause your song without first having to unlock your device or navigate to an app is also useful, on a music player.

The nano should remain a music player, with no extra functionality that should be reserved for the iPod Touch. The buttons could be on the side to make the device small, but not as small as the current nano, which is simply too small to even hold in your hand properly. Why not make the screen twice the size? It would still be tiny, but at least it would be useable.

ohbrilliance
Jul 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
The mockup looks more like an iRiver than an Apple device.

nex4k
Jul 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
...An iPod without a clickwheel must not be named iPod...

Still keeping my 4G nano because a touchscreen just "doesn't feel right" there.
4G and 5G, the last "real" iPod nanos.

The mockup looks nice, but it's totally not Apple-like.
Also reminded me of the Lumia when I saw it.

Just my two cents on the camera:
Not needed. Guys, this thing is made to listen to music, and maybe a little bit for watching videos (though the screen is really way too small for it). Get a camera or an iPhone if you want to take pics.
Also, I can remember the camera they put into the 5G was total **** in terms of resolution and image quality.
Toaster fridge!

Bluetooth:
Fully agree, adding that would make sense. Bluetooth headsets or wireless earphones/speakers are really common nowadays, and sticking a bulky adapter on it isn't optimal.
Also car makers and their buyers will also thank Apple if they made that move - no hassles if there's a new dock connector sometime in the future.

fsck-y dingo
Jul 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm in desperate want of a new iPod. I don't care for the current design, but this mock up is something I'd buy if it were available.

As nex4k mentions it would be even better with a click wheel. I can easily control my old click wheel nano without looking. I guess the controls could be similar with a virtual wheel which is possible with the larger screen of this design.

batchtaster
Jul 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
I'm torn.

I've kept my 4th-Gen in use because of its video playing capabilities, but I love my 6th-Gen watch.

turtlez
Jul 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
no offense to the 3d artist but this really could have been handled better lol..

uga.jax
Jul 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
My vote is that it's primarily the remote to the unreleased Apple TV, but can access the cloud to also be able to listen to music.

tigress666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
What is everyone's obsession with the long shape? I hate it for the nano. My favorite ipods were the 3rd gen and the 6th/7th gen. Much easier for fitting in a pocket and taking it on the go (Which is what the nano is best for. For stuff like watching video or even taking pictures the touch is far superior anyways especially if you don't care about a little extra size).

tigress666
Jul 10, 2012, 09:45 PM
I have to disagree on that topic. The iPod shuffle got its small clickwheel back for the 4th generation for a reason. I can use any headphones I want with it and I can change tracks and volume without looking at it.

I received the new touch screen iPod nano to replace by 2nd-generation (bad battery) and I haven't even connected it to my Mac mini yet. It's still in the box, I only turned it on once to see if it was working, turned it off immediately. I don't need and I don't want a touch screen on something which I'm supposed to clip on my clothes. IMHO the two (clip-on and touch screen) are opposites.

I have the current iPod Nano. I don't look at it to stop/play/fast forward/rewind/tell me what's playing. That's what getting a pair of headsets with a remote (or using the ones that came with my iPhone) is for. And that remote is a helluva lot easier to use without looking than the clickwheel (especially on the fifth gen whose clickwheel was so small it was hard to tell it to just go up or down one menu item, it was very frustrating to use honestly. The third gen was better cause the width allowed them to put a bigger scroll wheel so it was easier to move in small increments).

Hell, that argument is old for any device honestly that supports the remote (it's one of the few things I liked about the fifth gen nano which was my least favorite nano of the ones I had... it's probably the only reason I sold the third gen rather than the fifth gen that I got with the Macbook student thing). You don't need the controls on the device if you don't want to look, just use the remote.

jouster
Jul 10, 2012, 10:03 PM
(b) Give it a low-power, OLED display. This enables the following two functions:

(b1) The display doesn't go to sleep when the face is set to "clock." What kind of watch requires you to wake it from sleep just to see the time?

The kind with a battery life of more than a couple of hours...

davewyman
Jul 10, 2012, 10:10 PM
I loved my 2nd gen nano, and this reminds me of it. Frankly, I liked click wheel, I wish they'd bring that back, too.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
That sorta reminds me of the iPhone mockups we were seeing before the iPhone launch. Not bad, but I still prefer the 5th gen iPod Nano, the long one... with the clickwheel.

iapplelove
Jul 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Wow am I the only one who thinks the mock up is bland and stale

dXTC
Jul 10, 2012, 10:56 PM
Best Nano ever was

This, QFT, +1, ditto, what have ya. Still rockin' my 5Gs here.

I must admit that I like the general idea of this new mockup, though.

I loved my 2nd gen nano, and this reminds me of it. Frankly, I liked click wheel, I wish they'd bring that back, too.

The 2nd gen was my first modern-era Apple purchase, and I really liked it too. Funny, I sort of see the resemblance between the two myself.

Scarpad
Jul 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
Glad to see they are returning the Nano lines to the previous form factor, this is the first nano that has me interested, now make it 32 or 64 gb and we'll talk

Yvan256
Jul 10, 2012, 11:38 PM
I have the current iPod Nano. I don't look at it to stop/play/fast forward/rewind/tell me what's playing. That's what getting a pair of headsets with a remote (or using the ones that came with my iPhone) is for. And that remote is a helluva lot easier to use without looking than the clickwheel (especially on the fifth gen whose clickwheel was so small it was hard to tell it to just go up or down one menu item, it was very frustrating to use honestly. The third gen was better cause the width allowed them to put a bigger scroll wheel so it was easier to move in small increments).

Hell, that argument is old for any device honestly that supports the remote (it's one of the few things I liked about the fifth gen nano which was my least favorite nano of the ones I had... it's probably the only reason I sold the third gen rather than the fifth gen that I got with the Macbook student thing). You don't need the controls on the device if you don't want to look, just use the remote.

So for your argument to work I need to limit myself to headphones with an Apple remote built-in, or use yet another adapter between my iPod and headphones, which adds even more wire length.

Chundles
Jul 10, 2012, 11:48 PM
I hated the 5G nano.

There, I said it. I thought the paint finish was cheap and the clickwheel felt thin and breakable.

The 4G had the best clickwheel and finish, the 3G the best design - no turning sideways etc.

marioman38
Jul 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
looks cool, but I heart me my click wheel!

D-a-a-n
Jul 11, 2012, 02:12 AM

So brilliant that my thumb after all these years still hurts.

Colpeas
Jul 11, 2012, 04:06 AM
Ok, why not, the current Nano is just odd. Personally I think it will get AirPlay ability too. Regardless, what really needs an update is the ol' Classic.

poldidak
Jul 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
While I do miss the 5th Gen Nano video camera novelty, what I would miss even more is if they take away the FM radio.

Given that the Nano is the only iPod/Phone/Pad device to ever have had built-in FM (not requiring an add on), I, for one, have found it to be one of my favorite features in making the device multipurpose.

I don't need to browse the internet while I'm jogging, but I do like to listen to my local radio stations while I'm out and about. Don't lose the FM. Maybe just add HD radio as well! :p

needfx
Jul 11, 2012, 08:19 AM
Are you kidding me!? That thing looks like some cheap Zune. I'm all for the concept behind it, but that is one FUGLY render.

well, its an ipod nano concept mockup, not an iphone, nor an ipad mockup.

Though, someone on the first page stated his opinion on the best ipod nano to date and posted its picture, and I agree to that design.

Abazigal
Jul 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Reminds me of the Nokia lumia somehow.

tigress666
Jul 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
So for your argument to work I need to limit myself to headphones with an Apple remote built-in, or use yet another adapter between my iPod and headphones, which adds even more wire length.

No, I have a nice set of headphones that have the remote that works with my ipod and iphone. There are headsets being made to have the remote that works with the ipod and iphone (even some if you want it to also have a mic so you can use it to talk on the phone, mine even have the mic but for a cheaper price you can just have the remote. If you just want the remote I believe there is a pretty decent selection even).

Ashyukun
Jul 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
No, I have a nice set of headphones that have the remote that works with my ipod and iphone. There are headsets being made to have the remote that works with the ipod and iphone (even some if you want it to also have a mic so you can use it to talk on the phone, mine even have the mic but for a cheaper price you can just have the remote. If you just want the remote I believe there is a pretty decent selection even).

You don't technically even need headphones with a remote to just switch tracks- you can just double-tap the 'home' button on the current Nano, and it will skip to the next track. I use that feature all the time at the gym with my cheap gym headphones and the Nano in a silicone 'necklace' case...

RobbyIdol
Jul 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm digging this render/re-design. Looks like a like the Zune HD, which I always thought was a superior device/design to the iPod Touch. I would have purchased a Zune HD if Microsoft hadn't limited it strictly to the Zune Store and make it incompatible with OSX.

2012 iPod Nano -- light, colorful, sleek. I'll be waiting for more info this year!

skellener
Jul 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
This new design could be a relief for my mom. She is clinging dearly to her old click wheel nano. She has been dreading the day it dies because she just refuses to even consider the new small clip-on touch screen nano. It's just too small for her.

generati
Jul 11, 2012, 03:55 PM
That looks a lot like a Microsoft Zune.

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/zune.jpg

Skullbussa
Jul 11, 2012, 11:14 PM

Who is wearing it as a watch? Very rarely have I seen this. And who wants a watch that needs to be charged every few days? Terrible idea.

I love my latest-gen Nano but it badly needs an update. GPS and WiFi synching are a MUST if Apple wants me to upgrade. I'm a gym rat and I care about size but the current form factor is just too small: the screen is worthless.

Skullbussa
Jul 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
I've owned every Nano except the first and my favorites are the 2nd and 6th gen.

Apple really lost their way with the 4th and 5th gen as both of those devices were stuffed full of absurd features at the expense of build quality and ruggedness. Cameras? Video playback? Really Apple?!

Stop trying to make the Nano a mini IPhone and focus it towards active people who want music on the go. If people want stupid iOS apps they can take their phone with them.

musicofmelkor
Jul 11, 2012, 11:57 PM
128 gb nano with good battery life and sound as good as an ipt
i'd be all over that

mac
iphone(rather use the gbs for apps, photos, and movies than music)
nano

don't need anything else

come on and do it apple!

James Bond
Jul 12, 2012, 12:20 AM
With the release of this new Nano version, a new Shuffle with the form factor of the current Nano would make sense, finally bringing a screen and iOS to it.

I'm still using a 2006 Nano 4GB (2nd Gen?) on a daily basis for podcasts and with the release of the Podcasts app for iOS, I'm really missing not having a dynamic iOS iPod.

jomarr
Jul 12, 2012, 04:36 AM
The first mobile player to release 128 gigs of flash memory wins the prize.

I don't need iOS, I need media capacity.
I don't need a camera, I need media capacity.
I don't need a GPS, I need media capacity.

I really want the Classic to be revamped.

I would ditch my iPod touch for it. In a blink of an eye.

The iPod nano looks hideous. I had the 4th gen before and it was all I need until I needed more than 8 gb of storage.

dXTC
Jul 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
I hated the 5G nano.

There, I said it. I thought the paint finish was cheap and the clickwheel felt thin and breakable.

The 4G had the best clickwheel and finish, the 3G the best design - no turning sideways etc.

Although I like the two 5G nanos I own, I'll agree with you that the 4G had a better finish. I almost got the 4G blue-- that brushed blue finish was very pretty indeed. Still, what won me over was the 5G's added functionality-- most importantly, the built-in speaker, strangely enough.

jephrey
Jul 12, 2012, 03:44 PM
just my opinion.
I like the new design, but hope the current one is still available. Maybe the new design will be a new "mini" or the new one will be a new nano and something similar to the current nano would replace the shuffle...

There is a place for the current Nano... Some of the high end metal watchbands make this a real neat watch - maybe overkill but neat anyhow. For a "designer" wristwatch, you're paying a few hundred (few thou if you're an aficionado) so a $130 device and a $130 band make a pretty cool $260 watch. Obviously Apple isn't in this to sell wristwatches, but I do like the small form factor.

I think the smallest device should be able to play music easily and have a screen - and the current nano has that so i don't want it to go away.

bettaboy123
Jul 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Personally I don't like the render or even the concept. I love the current design as is and I am planning on purchashing one in the near future. This just looks like a cheap knockoff and is not pleasing aestetically just because proportionately it doesn't really look right. The button just takes up way to much space and the screen shape doesn't look good with it and stuff. Just my honest opinion though.

Sackvillenb
Jul 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
I dunno, that would be weird. Just seems backwards to me. I could see them redesigning the classic like this, but the nano? What's the point?

iEvolution
Jul 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
At least with the current design you can use an armband to quickly view and navigate the screen, with that design you'd have to pull out the device out of your pocket all the time, which would essentially be a small iPod touch.

Perhaps a touch screen/button hybrid? Volume controls on the side and two seek buttons in the front for quick song switching.

Honestly the usability and convenience of use is even less than the current.

Glad to see some rumors though, means hopefully they will do something with the iPod line this year.

B777Forevar
Jul 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
Am I the only here who wants the clickwheel back?

Zendokan
Jul 14, 2012, 09:24 AM
Reminds me of the Nokia lumia somehow.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14594761&postcount=37

^ that's because the Nokia's looks like stretched 6th gen Nano's. (see above link to one of my previous posts).

So when Apple decides to "stretch" the current Nano themselfs it starts to look like a Nokia.

Personally, I'm going to wait until I see this "7th gen" Nano in the real before I pass any form of judgement.

yourstation
Jul 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Love the current Nano. The best feature they could bring to it for me would be some way to have a sim so I could make the most of iTunes match. I HATE the old tall form factors. HOME BUTTON? I thought we were even going to see the end of the home button on the iPhone. Def not need on the iPod Nano!

smoledman
Jul 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
I want some device that runs the Music app and has 96GB capacity.

class77
Jul 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
Best Nano ever was

This was absolutely the best nano. Big enough to handle, but small enough to hide anywhere. The newer square nanos were just too small.

I'm afraid they're fixing to do the same thing to the iPhone. Make it too thin.

fertilized-egg
Jul 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
This was absolutely the best nano. Big enough to handle, but small enough to hide anywhere. The newer square nanos were just too small.

I'll be pretty happy to see a refresh of that design but with a touch screen instead of the click wheel, and a home button underneath that screen.

I'm afraid they're fixing to do the same thing to the iPhone. Make it too thin.

Personally I'd really love to see a thinner iPhone. iPod Touch is so much easier to put in and pull out of my pocket.

Also because iPhone is smaller than other phones, it'll look thicker than it really is. So Apply has no choice to to make it thinner to give it that sleek look.

myrtlebee
Jul 22, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'd really like an iPod nano with standard AM/FM radio tuner and the ability to download 3rd party Radio apps for streaming content.

Princejb134
Jul 22, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hate this new design

I guess I'm one of the few who loves the current nano
Stays true to its nano name and is easier to carry around in your pockets without it consuming to much space

Shadyriley
Jul 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
Why oh why don't they relase the new nano with Bluetooth 4.0 that connects to your iPhone and shows you who's calling and other notifications. Why?? How much longer do I have to wait

chillywilly
Jul 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
just my opinion.
I like the new design, but hope the current one is still available. Maybe the new design will be a new "mini" or the new one will be a new nano and something similar to the current nano would replace the shuffle...

There is a place for the current Nano... Some of the high end metal watchbands make this a real neat watch - maybe overkill but neat anyhow. For a "designer" wristwatch, you're paying a few hundred (few thou if you're an aficionado) so a $130 device and a $130 band make a pretty cool $260 watch. Obviously Apple isn't in this to sell wristwatches, but I do like the small form factor.

I think the smallest device should be able to play music easily and have a screen - and the current nano has that so i don't want it to go away.

I've been saying ever since the nano 6G came out that it should have simply replaced the shuffle. The size difference is just not that much, although the price would need to come way down to reach that shuffle affordability.

I have both a nano 5G (my favorite iPod to date) and a 6G. The latter is used for working out since it has the screen and the Nike+ pedometer functionality.

The click wheel of the nano 5G is something that's easy to use anywhere as you can change tracks by feel and pause without fumbling with a touch screen.

----------

Am I the only here who wants the clickwheel back?

Nope. I love the click wheel on my nano 5G and wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback.

Ariii
Jul 24, 2012, 10:22 PM
At least bring back the camera!

/wishfulthinking

Yes! :) That's partly why I didn't buy the new one. I love the camera on the Nano, and I'm surprised they didn't let it take pictures, because frozen frames from the Nano look pretty good, better than most cell phone or cheap cameras I could find. They need to have it capture stills too, though. The new Nanos are definitely a lot smaller, but I don't really like them, since it felt too much like iOS to me. I think it would be nice for the iTouches to look like that, the artist's mockup looked pretty nice.

nia820
Jul 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
Call me old school. But I want apple to go back to the click wheel with their nanos. I feel like touch screen is so uneccsary with nanos.

Riversen
Sep 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
Call me old school. But I want apple to go back to the click wheel with their nanos. I feel like touch screen is so uneccsary with nanos.

I like the modern design but respect the older design. I understand the simplicity, but the new design allows for somethings that other might not have caught yet. If you can have a fully functioning Nano that uses the same real estate as the iPod Touch 2nd and 3rd gen or the iPhone 3Gs, then you have a whole line of development for apps and simplified utilities. It opens doors to ther things in a smaller package. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4s and will love my iPhone 5 whenever I can upgrade, but I think this is a nice market for younger folks.