PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 3400c Networking Help

Zeromaru
Jul 27, 2005, 09:42 AM
Hello, all.

First off, let me say that I'm pretty new to Macs, but I'm a fast learner and software explorer. A few months ago, a buddy of mine sold me his Powerbook 3400c for $5 because it turned on sporadically. A few weeks ago, I spent $40 to buy a new power adapter and now it works like a charm. Considering that my friend bought it for $300, and just seven years ago it retailed for over $5000, I think I got it pretty cheap ;).

Anyway, I've been trying to get it to work on my LAN, but to no avail. Googling hasn't helped. I don't think my router is even recognizing it (there's only two computers listed under DHCP, my PC and my brother's). It may be a problem with the Powerbook's ethernet (under "TCP/IP Info", the "Hardware address" reads "< not applicable >"), but then again, I have no idea what it's supposed to read.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting it to work (I've tried just setting to to connect via Ethernet and configure Using DHCP Server)? Here's a list of my hardware & software.

Router - D-Link DL-524 Wireless 802.11b/g Firmware Version: 1.05b14
Computer #1 - HP Pavillion w/ Windows XP Service Pack 2
Computer #2 - eMachine w/ Windows XP
Computer #3 - Powerbook 3400c

Powerbook versions
OS 8.6
Open Transport & TCP/IP: 2.0.3
Internet Explorer 5
Netscape Communicator 4.7

Also, I'd like to be able to access files on my Pavillion's harddrive. I know how to share them from Windows, but accessing them from Mac is a little out of my league at the moment.

Thank you in advance.

ITASOR
Jul 27, 2005, 09:52 AM
:eek: :eek:

I don't know anything about 8.6 anymore, and I'm sure most people don't. That's realllly old. I always thought networking with the older systems was a pain.

Zeromaru
Jul 27, 2005, 10:01 AM
Well, to be frank, it is a pain if you're not using AppleTalk. And I would hardly call 8.6 old. I wouldn't necessarily call Windows 98 "old". And I'm sure lots of people still know how to troubleshoot 8.6 (and older) systems.