Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gotta Be Mobile posts a pair of photos of what it calls an "engineering sample" of the next-generation iPhone. While it isn't entirely clear just what the sample represents, it seems to be solid chunk of aluminum machined into the form factor of the rumored device.

iphone_5_sample_front.jpg

Assuming that the sample is genuine and related to the iPhone development and production process, it supports previous photos and rumors showing a large central section on the back plate that differs from the top and bottom portions of the rear casing.

iphone_5_sample_rear.jpg

Measurements on the sample are also in line with rumors that have pegged the next-generation iPhone at roughly the same width as the iPhone 4S (5.86 cm) and somewhat taller (slightly over 12 cm compared to 11.52 cm) in order to accommodate a larger display.

Article Link: New Photos of Next-Generation iPhone 'Engineering Sample' Massing

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The two horizontal lines on the back are so fugly. I can't believe Apple isn't radically changing the design of the iPhone 5. The Lumina is so sexy, sort of like the iPod mini.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Sorry Jony, Lumia 900 has cleaner design.

Even the biggest Apple fan has to admit that its a sexy design. A sexy unique design at that. People wanted innovation, and thats it right there.

The iPad/iPhone design is growing very dull...very little in the way of design work going on there, its the same design with very minor tweaks. The iPhone 5 needs a big update IMO.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
The two horizontal lines on the back are so fugly. I can't believe Apple isn't radically changing the design of the iPhone 5. The Lumina is so sexy, sort of like the iPod mini.

I can't people buy into every rumor that comes down the pipe. Especially when there is such a solid history of these "leaks" being generally not close to what is actually released.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The two horizontal lines on the back are so fugly. I can't believe Apple isn't radically changing the design of the iPhone 5.

Exactly what I think of them, surely Apple can't release something like that after the old design, I really like how the old back on the iPhone 4 looks.

c0venant

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Sorry Jony, Lumia 900 has cleaner design.

I personally don't like the white border at all. Still think the iPhone 4/4S have the most beautiful designs out of all smartphones. But like some people here, not a fan of the two horizontal lines on the new one. Hopefully the actual phone won't look like this.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Don't like the lines. Looks cheap. Plus anyone can take a chunk of aluminum and make it look like a mock up of a picture posted. We shall see what's real or not soon enough.

C.G.B. Spender

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
Even the biggest Apple fan has to admit that its a sexy design. A sexy unique design at that. People wanted innovation, and thats it right there.

The iPad/iPhone design is growing very dull...very little in the way of design work going on there, its the same design with very minor tweaks. The iPhone 5 needs a big update IMO.

For great design it’s impossible.

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Don't like the lines. Looks cheap. Plus anyone can take a chunk of aluminum and make it look like a mock up of a picture posted. We shall see what's real or not soon enough.

Totally agree. It's now what came first the chicken or the egg.

Any old Joe can make a metal block to look like a mock up or any designer can make a mock up off a block of metal.

I hope that the new iPhone wows me or S3 here I come.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I remember the same things about the iPhone 4 design when it leaked - how fugly it was.

It might actually look nice in the hand and in person. The iPhone 4 looked rather weird in photos, but in person it looked far better.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Yeah I don't know why people don't believe it. Every single iPhone has been leaked ahead of the release date.

iPhone 3G Leak: https://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/05/more-3g-iphone-photos-now-in-white/
iPhone 4 Leak: https://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/0...ed-image-of-prototype-next-generation-iphone/

And then there was this based on all of the part and schematic "leaks" last year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/10/this-could-be-what-apples-iphone-5-looks-like/

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
People will hate any change.

People will hate any lack of change.

And they still somehow love it the next day when the terrible “shock” of either problem wears off.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Three reasons why I say these leaks are fakes or are the result of leakers being misguided.

1. Tim Cook stated that Apple would be doubling up secrecy. These kind of leaks are the complete opposite of secrecy dooubling. If these so called "leaks" turn out to be true, Timmy's going to look like an ars.

2. The last time, an iPhone was leaked this bad was at a bar, then all over the net and we all know how Apple reacted to that. Apple hasnt done anything at all to cool or slow down these leaks.

3. Last year, we thought we had a pretty solid idea of what the iPhone was going to look like and we all felt the result of that.

Moral to my story, stop believing everything you read. iPhone and iOS speculation is hardly ever right.

Aug 26, 2008
Three reasons why I say these leaks are fakes or are the result of leakers being misguided.

1. Tim Cook stated that Apple would be doubling up secrecy. These kind of leaks are the complete opposite of secrecy dooubling. If these so called "leaks" turn out to be true, Timmy's going to look like an ars.

2. The last time, an iPhone was leaked this bad was at a bar, then all over the net and we all know how Apple reacted to that. Apple hasnt done anything at all to cool or slow down these leaks.

3. Last year, we thought we had a pretty solid idea of what the iPhone was going to look like and we all felt the result of that.

Moral to my story, stop believing everything you read. iPhone and iOS speculation is hardly ever right.

So because Tim Cook just says something it's true? All of the other physical designs leaked, including the 3g, 3gs, 4, 4s etc. Remember, we saw 4s parts well in advance but no one paid attention because everyone was waiting for the redesign.

Every time this stuff comes out people say "fake!" but it's almost always true. I would bet decent money this is in fact the next iPhone. Why would Apple radically change the design? That doesn't seem to be how they work anymore. Once they find "the" design, that is pretty much it...

Also the bar thing was different because an actual device got into the hands of someone outside Apple. These are just pictures...are they going to start issuing cease and desist orders to every website out there, while the pictures keep piling up? Not going to happen.

One more thing...I think we will continue to see more leaks from Apple. I would once again bet that the "fear level" has dropped substantially since Jobs died.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.